[quote name='Fizion' timestamp='1417538077' post='4282719']
Going from dog to OP will do that for you.
Even if it gets nerfed it'll still feel stronger than warlocks just because of the base way in which the class works (atleast this expansion). What are they going to do? Nerf damage? They won't nerf it too hard for PVE implications, and I'll still have my utility which I enjoy. If they nerf the offheals I won't have a problem with that either, I never really understood why my instant flash of lights needed to heal teamates for 60% more than they'd heal me for. Those are the two things I figure they'll nerf and I'm good with that. On top of those nerfs I wouldn't even mind cooldown nerfs, which I honestly think is (combined with the offheals) what puts pallies over the top in arenas.
Imo warlocks need some core changes put into place to make them enjoyable again and I don't think we'll see that this expansion. But I've been wrong before. Imo they gutted lock utility which was the one thing that really made affliction unique and fun. That plus soul shards are a horribly unfun resource system. Here's to hoping blizzard is willing to undo some of the changes they've made.
This whole SB:X and soul shard playstyle they introduced with Cata is just total garbage and really messed up a once really fluent rotation. THE main reason why I finally abandoned my beloved Warlock with WoD (along with the removal of a viable snare, just love kiting too much) after enduring two expansions of an un-fun and clunky rotation.
Now returning to my good old Hunter, who happens to have all the tools I miss on my Warlock.
Agreed with this, affliction warlocks used to be a lot more than just dots, they were utility. We had curses to snare, slow casts, weaken melee attacks, increase magical damage taken, etc. We even had mana drain at one point. Now we have none of this. Fear used to be a great (probably the best besides a straight up stun) and now it's pretty lackluster, especially considering how many outs for it were left in the game even after it was nerfed. The SS system was great at first, it just empowered your abilities, it wasn't required for anything. When they changed haunt it made shards worse as they were now required. Now, especially with SS Haunt, shards feel extremely rare and the whole design is just "clunky" for back of a better word.
I've been playing ret for the past 2 weeks and the class just feels so fresh and strong in its core. My abilities give procs that strengthen other abilities and my finishing procs can proc off each other. I actually have support/utility again, albeit more in a defensive manner rather than offensive (buffs on teamates instead of debuffs on enemies). I could elaborate further but I think the gist is easy to get.
To everyone complaining about affliction warlocks having nothing to cast while locked out, most classes can't use their defensive CDs while being locked out - We can use Dark Bargain I'm pretty sure, not sure if intended or not. I'm not saying warlocks couldn't use something like Searing Pain to cast, but hey, aren't people always whining about all classes being the same? This is a difference between classes, so either stop complaining about classes being too similar, or accept the fact that there's differences in the game.
I'm going to disagree with this to an extent, and there's 2 main reasons why:
1. When people complain about the homogenization of classes it's usually because abilities get shared to other classes or removed. Things like Mortal Strike, Curse of Tongues, Curse of Elements, Knockbacks, and even what classes dispelled all use to be unique. Then they get shared, rogues and hunters get MS, then demo locks, curse of tongues goes to hunters, druids get a passive elements, etc.
2. This spell school thing is restricted to just 1 spec as far as I know out of all of the classes' specs. Even demo and destro have two schools. I think that this was more an unattended consequence of trying to make the specs feel more unique. Way back when, affliction had searing pain, rain of fire, immolate, and even soul fire. Then they started making some of those spells unique to specs and got rid of searing pain and immolate for affliction, the latter of which was due to affliction locks in PVE having to manage UA, corruption, CoA, Siphon Life, and immolate. We had fel flame so who cared if we lost searing pain? Heck, it even lengthened UA at one point. They've just slowly been weeding out fire spells and we haven't cared since we had fel flame.
The problem I have with affliction locks isn't damage, it's just how clunky the spec is. It has no bearing on competition, but the class just isn't fun for me, and it's for two seperate reasons. First, when they introduced soul shards they were just a "bonus" for strengthening spells through SS. Then they took haunt off of its cooldown, got rid of the healing component, and said "this costs a shard now!" Now I find myself starved for shards just for haunt in long fights, and if some melee happens to get lucky and gets their interrupt off on me I just sit there waiting/meleeing/wanding them. Ember generation is shit without charred remains now, I have no idea why but it feels like it takes half a minute of spamming incinerate to get an ember. Second, they've tried to "go back to BC" levels of damage/healing and abilities, but back then ferals and pallies didn't have interrupts, and DKs with their seemingly infinite stuns/interrupts weren't around. On top of this we have no fire filler as mentioned previously AND they've taken out a decent portion of our utility. We're just getting the worst of both worlds atm in my opinion.
This is an older (relatively) thread, incase anyone is reading from the start, they've nerfed the terrorguard slow, it's just channeled 4 second root that breaks on damage about the same as fear. There's no cripple applied afterwards now. Or atleast there wasn't for mine.
Axenation, on 25 November 2014 - 12:24 PM, said:
I'm also assuming locks will get a nice buff once raids start since we're complete garbage in pve at the moment. If you remember we nerfed pretty hard once the pre-patch came out because we were badass as twinked 90s and devs stated it was temporary and would be unerfed at 100. It's bad enough that at 625 ilvl i'm being destroyed by other classes that are around 600 ilvl in 5-man dungeons on single target .. on AoE fights it's even worse .. the only time I've been able to put out good damage in PvE is against exactly 3 targets that will live for awhile like the 3 boss fight in Everbloom. It's safe to assume we will get some sort of buff that will make us coincidentally make us more viable in arenas.
I wouldn't be surprised to see some dot buffs (they had the 10% nerf pre-launch), but idk if that will really "fix" things for warlocks. I've been a warlock since vanilla and the class is in a really weird spot now. I have a number of issues I'd like to see addressed (atleast some of them):
1. Soul shards disappear fast (affliction) - especially if you have to burn an extra one on haunt (to do decent damage it seems like you do)
2. No slows (affliction) - I don't know if this will be as big of a deal in arenas, but as affliction and trying to do BGs/world pvp it's awful. Literally every class can just walk away from you.
3. No direct damage (Affliction) - All we have is haunt. I have a wand so I can kill totems and knock people off of flags in BGs. It was a really weird feeling to have shadowfury on CD and watch someone take a flag from me (I was being hit by 2 melee), unable to stop him due to no DD.
4. Fear is lackluster - Everyone knows it's pretty meh now, it's not as bad as it was at 90 but everyone and their brother still has a fear break anyways. People are burning trinkets on blood horror because they can now.
5. No non shadow abilities (affliction) - unless you take cataclysm and want to hope that people are stupid enough not to move/interrupt for ~3 seconds, you're standing there doing nothing if they happen to interrupt you. I've had more issues with juking since the patch lowered latency issues.
6. No ember generation (destro) - Rain of fire is the best ember generating ability from what I can see. I have no idea how this happened.
I think a lot of our issues are due to the fact the melee didn't get pruned nearly as much as we did and casting is just not viable (destro). Just look at unholy DKs, did they really lose anything big? We lost a lot: tongues/weakness, exhaustion, blanket silence, instant CC, an instant DD w/ low damage, damage with elements, movement with KJC, etc, and even fear got nerfed. I also don't think they've compensated DoTs enough for the removal of soul swap (hated soul swap). I actually enjoy hard casting UA now but it's not fun when there's 5 ways for every melee to interrupt it/immune it and it ticks for less than DK aids.
This turned into a longer rant than I anticipated, please feel free to disagree with me or correct me if I'm missing something.