The shield adjustment was a tooltip change, no actual throughput was gained from it. The penance buff is noticeable, but still not enough. Silence isn't in Disc's toolkit yet, I expect it in the next build (probably today/tomorrow).
Disc is still the weakest healer on beta by far - MW is the only healer in a similar situation seemingly. My flash heals hit for 23k, and of course we don't get any extra actual healing from crits because of Divine Aegis. Personally, I've never really been a big fan of how they changed Aegis back in early MoP (or was it Cata? Brain hurts). I was healing through one of those auto-attacking dummies yesterday to try and gauge Mending procs. My mending at level 100 in PvP gear healed me for 5300 non crit. That's pretty much a lifebloom tick worth of healing.
I don't know if Holy is much better, I've only q'd into maybe 2 different Holy Priests in 3s Skirms. One game I won but was playing Dk/Feral/Disc and the other game I lost as War/Mage/Disc playing against RMP both times. I got trained the second game and my partners both were too retarded to know where their Poly and Storm Bolt buttons were apparently. I guess I can't speak to Holy other than to say I've played against it a few times, and it seems to be stronger than Disc - but I refuse to play it.
There are still a ton of issues with Disc:
- Throughput needs another serious buff to make us competitive. I rolled a Resto Druid for lols on Beta and the difference between a Resto Druid and a Disc Priest is unbelievable. I'm not saying, mind you, that Disc needs to be as strong as a Resto Druid - I'm just saying that we aren't even close and it's a laughably apparent situation as soon as you look at the two kits side by side.
- Mending, Flash Heal, PW: Shield, and the 90 talents all need to be more meaningful buttons to press
- They might want to decouple Aegis and Crits at this point, and make it so Disc gets additional actual healing from crit heals instead of just an Aegis
- We need some sort of button to press to further show that we're the 'damage prevention' flavor of healer. Angelic Bulwark could easily be converted into something I have to press for an additional self only shield maybe?
- Spectral Guise and Feathers need to go, getting fears is still trivial.
- Not sure why they nerfed FDCL, we already have to cast more than any other healer and our healing is already the weakest.
- The Disc 2pc PvP bonus needs to change. It's actually the most useless set bonus I remember in recent times. We are going to have partners with a snare of some sort, so we rarely need to assist and slow a target - and when we do have to snare someone, we shouldn't be forced to use Penance to do so. Not to mention the 2pc 30% speed buff doesn't stack with Tier 2 talents. Currently the 2pc bonus works directly against our Tier 2 'Movement' talents, that needs adjustment.
- Even without a CD, Archangel isn't a button I anxiously anticipate pressing. Sure, when it lights up, I hit the button. But I don't tell myself, "Oh nice, Archangel is up - now for some serious healing" or "This will let me catch up!" It's just not fun.
- Fade has way too much baked into it. We are all going to take the aura mastery glyph, which means Phantasm won't be used since it'll have a 90s CD. Why not give back Inner Focus without the Mana reduction tied to it?
- I swear to God if I read one more tooltip or buff that promotes using Prayer of Healing, I'm going to fucking scream
- Fear Ward glyph needs to just be baked into the ability at this point
- The 100 talents are so imbalanced it makes me shake my head when I look at them. Nothing on that Tier comes close to Saving Grace. Also, Saving Grace is one of the only reasons I'm able to keep people upright a lot of the time. Words of Mending promotes extra procs of a heal that does 5k healing non crit, against 340k health pools (thats 1.4% of total health worth of healing by the way), it's a pathetic amount of healing. Clarity of Will seems awesome but it has a Cast time that really limits its use. 2.5s cast time is just too long for us. I've tried taking CoW over Saving Grace in some 3s games and I can't keep anyone alive, and that's with deathing CC, Aura mastery kicks, etc. We aren't viable without that huge Saving Grace instant heal every 10s. The talent literally hides our inadequacies right now.
- To further expound on Clarity of Will - they should reduce the cast time (and nerf Saving Grace for fuck's sake) and replace another spell with CoW. You know what spell I barely ever have the time/opportunity to use? Heal. Replace Heal with Clarity of Will and buff it.
- The Disc perks are all pretty bland. Like - Enh Leap of Faith? Blizzard basically said "Here's a perk that is only useful for 1 heal every 90s assuming you grip on CD (which we don't) - have fun!" Lots of stuff to adjust here.
- Offensive Dispelling is just bleh ever since they changed the dynamic in MoP, I wish we could have double offensive purge back
- Our damage is pretty meaningful again - it isn't like 3x MS, MB, Death - but its more noticeable.
- The MD glyph makes MD absolutely awesome. There is nothing more fun than being able to MD Cyclones off of partners for the first time ever
- Tremor Totem nerf means my Screams actually stick a lot of the time - now just change Berserker Rage, Lichborn, Unbound Will, etc to be more skillful and proactive abilities
- The PvP set looks awesome!
- Disc actually isn't bad in Ashran since we're not sand boxed with another healer to directly compare ourselves to, but really that's because I'm not focused for interrupts, CC, etc. I hope they aren't balancing around how classes look/feel in Ashran.
- Silence should be fun but I'd prefer something to protect against melee
- Penance seems to heal for right about what it 'should' now, its the rest of the kit that holds us back from a throughput perspective