As an ex-mod that still has the tag for some reason but hasn't moderated anything in years aside from a few spambots.
1) The current team is far too small on top of being far too lenient. But they can't really step in and start banning people left and right either. Posts that would have been considered absolute garbage at a certain point in time aren't really that different form the majority of posts anymore - it's a status quo that has developed over time and you can't do much against it (unless you want to kill the boards altogether).
People just adapt to the board and the posts they read. It's a very simple circular concept - when people read terrible posts, they feel entitled to doing the same themselves.
2) There is a lack of updates because of a lack of members in said team. As as been pointed out in this thread I don't think many people even play WoW anymore. Maybe the guides are out of date, maybe not, if you don't play, why would you even check these again in the first place?
3) The high tier of players are (for the huge majority) playing in order to generate $$ rather than for the game itself nowadays, which is a very different mindset. Why would they dedicate time trying to make guides and be genuinely helpful when they can do something profitable instead, by streaming or "coaching" (*cough*) or plain boosting? They have no reason to.
4) Is the scene even competitive anymore? Honest question. I do my dragonslaying stuff and don't give a second of attention to PvP stuff anymore.
5) I never felt like the report button was underused when I used to mod, but maybe that's just me, and I don't really know about the current situation of reports. Use this button. It's better to have 5 people reporting the same thing than not having anyone do it. Help them help you.
Nothing much else to say, don't read AJ often enough anymore to have any other opinion on this really.
MioneeMember Since 28 Oct 2007
Offline Last Active May 25 2013 04:05 PM