- Viewing Profile: Posts: Ged24
Ged24Member Since 19 Feb 2012
Offline Last Active Jun 12 2016 05:57 PM
- Group Members
- Active Posts 16
- Profile Views 2,725
- Member Title Member
- Age Age Unknown
- Birthday Birthday Unknown
Posts I've Made
03 May 2016 - 03:55 PM
30 April 2016 - 10:00 AM
Yes they are good in godcomp with mage/shadow/x-healer
I recently returned to the game and i'm wondering how Shadow Priests are doing this season? Should I avoid 2v2? Are they any good in 3s?
30 April 2016 - 07:15 AM
(7) Crowd Control
How is crowd control useful?
- Stops enemies from dealing damage or healing
- Stops enemies from cc'ing you
- Stop enemies from supporting their teammates
- Reduces the number of active enemy players putting you at an advantage
What crowd control abilities do i have?As discipline we only have 1 crowd control ability available to us.
- - 45 second cooldown, 2 second duration.
- - 6 second duration fear, 30 second cooldown.
- - 8 second duration root, 30 second cooldown. "Killable"
- - 8 second duration, spammable mind control.
Mind control isn't taken over the other two talents that often due to the fact that is has a cast time and there isn't many situations during a game that you will successfully get one off. Also the other two talents are AoE meaning you can control multiple targets with them at once and are instant cast. Also mind control DR's with Incapacitate effects.
How should i use my crowd control?is our main crowd control ability, as a well timed Psychic Scream can crowd control the entire enemy team when used properly and at the right time.
It is used in two different situations:
- Offensively - Your fear should always be prioritized on the opposing healer and landing it as soon as possible is very useful in almost any situation, but it is easier to use as a follow up CC if your target is already sitting in another CC (Polymorph, Stormbolt, Freezing Trap etc..) as you will spend less time pushing for your fear.
- Defensive - If you know that you are in trouble and are nowhere near the opposing healer to fear him, a "Defensive" Psychic Scream can be very useful on the enemies around you, as it will give you some time to run away and heal yourself back up.
- is the same as Psychic Scream as it can be used both offensively and defensively.
Let's say you are about to get polymorphed by a and have no way to avoid it, it is a good choice to use your Silence on him, giving you those extra few seconds to get into a better position.
Below are some abilities that non-casters CANNOT use while silenced.
Warrior - ,
Hunter - , , ,
Death Knight - ,
Retribution Paladin - , , ,
(8) Utilizing Your Mobility
Mobility Abilities and Passives
- - Places a feather on the ground at the target granting the first ally to walk through it a 60% increase to movement speed for 6 seconds.
- Pushing for fear
- Kiting enemies away
- Getting into a better position to avoid incoming crowd control
- Helping your partners to connect to their target or kite enemies
Casting Angelic Feathers on your partners can be really useful for their movement speed no matter what classes they play, and you should be doing it whenever possible.
- - Your Power Word: Shield and Leap of Faith also increases your target's movement speed by 60% for 4 seconds.
- - Removes all movement impairing effects and prevents your movement speed from being reduced for 5 seconds.
- - Leap of faith pulls you to your target instead of pulling your target to you.
- Discipline 2 piece PvP Set Bonus - Increases you and your target movement speed by 30% when Penance is channelled.
(9) Making the most of your utility
- - Dispels 1 Magic effect on the enemy target, should be used whenever possible as it will help your teams offensiveness.
- - Dispels harmful effects on the friendly target removing ALL magic and disease effects.
Against teams with spammable CC (/), it is important to save your purify to dispel polymorph/fear effects on your partners rather than dispelling DoT's to reduce damage taken for example.
It is also more important to dispel an 8 second polymorph, rather than a 2 second polymorph since your purify has a 8 second cooldown.
There are some exceptions to this, for example the spell "Haunt" from is very useful to dispel as it reduces alot of the damage on the target Haunt is cast on.
Dispelling Flame Shocks against Elemental Shaman is also very useful as it reduces their chance of getting lava burst procs therefore lowering their overall damage.
Dispelling Diseases can also be very handy, whether it is Devouring Plague from a shadow priest or plagues from Death Knights .
Conclusion: As a general rule you want to save your purify to dispel crowd control effects, but if you or your partner are taking a lot of damage feel free to dispel. You can always mass dispel as a backup if you really to dispel and your purify is on cooldown.
- - Wards a friendly target against fear, the next fear effect used against that target will fail using up the ward instead. This ability has a 3minute cooldown which lasts until cancelled or until it is consumed.
In most cases you can simply cast it on yourself when it comes back off cooldown.
Exceptions: Fear Ward can be very useful to mitigate enemies fear abilities that have a cooldown such as...
- - You instantly pull a friendly target in front of you, 40 yard range, 1 minute 30 second cooldown.
This is most of the time used when your partner is low on health and you want to drag him with you out of sight of the enemy.
Different situation of Leap of faith usage - Lets say your partner is trying to connect to an enemy, but he cannot because he is stunned/slowed,you can then Leap of Faith him closer to his target if you are close to the target he wants to reach.
- - Dispels Magic within a 15 yard radius, removing ALL harmful magical spell from each friendly target and 1 beneficial spell from each enemy target. 30 yard range, 15 second cooldown, 20,800 mana cost.
Mass dispel is a very unique and powerful spell but it comes at a very high cost of 20,800 mana, so it has to be used carefully.
It is mainly used with the which removes Magic effects that are normally undispellable such as , or .
You can also use mass dispel when your purify is on cooldown and you need to quickly get your partner out of a CC.
- - Cause's an explosion of shadow magic around the target, dealing 6500 shadow damage over 5 seconds to all enemies within 10 yards around the target.
Try to use it at the beginning of the game against // to get them out of stealth.
- - Brings a dead ally back to life with 35% health and mana. Cannot be cast while in combat.
- - Shackles the undead enemy target for up to 8 seconds, the shackled unit is unable to move, attack or cast spells. Any damage caused will break the effect, 1.5 second cast time.
This spell is very useful against Unholy Death Knight pets, (Frost and Blood don't have pets) since they do alot of damage and have abilities that can stun/interrupt you.
The most important time to use this spell is when an Unholy Death Knight use's his 3 minute cooldown ability, a 3 minute cooldown that lasts for 40 seconds and deals a considerable amount of damage. Thankfully this can be shackled 3 times until the diminishing returns hit, and you should be doing so whenever you can.
You can also use shackle undead when a Death Knight uses his ability as they are considered undead while lichborne is active thus being able to get shackled.
(10) Suggested Keybinds
Using keybinds is an essential part of playing world of warcraft as it allows you to react to things alot faster, and make your overall gameplay alot smoother. There is no "best" way to keybind you spells as keybinds are all personal preference so use what you find most comfortable.
NOTE: My Arena targeting keybinds are for 2v2 and 3v3 primarily as i do not play 5v5 very often. If you do play 5v5 and don't have or don't want to have extra keybinds for the 4th and 5th player simply click them.
Movement - How do you control your characters movement?
- I use W, A, D to move my character, but pressing both mouse buttons simultaneously activates running.
Targeting - How do you target your teammates and enemy players in arena?
- I target my teammates with Mousewheel UP and Mousewheel Down. I highly recommend these keybinds for any healer.
- Arena1 - Shift + E
- Arena2 - Shift + F
- Arena3 - Shift + X
I set my focus using the following keybinds...
- Arena1 - Shift + 1
- Arena2 - Shift + 2
- Arena3 - Shift + 3
Modifier's - Which modifiers do you use and how do you feel about them?
I mainly use "Shift", then "Alt"and finally "Capslock" which works as "Ctrl" for me as i use the software called Sharpkeys to remap the keys on my keyboard.
Modifiers are all subject to preference, but shift modifiers are the easiest to use so i recommend that you use as many of them as possible.
Action Bars - How do you lay out your abilities on your action bars?
I group up all my spells/cooldowns on three bars...
- Main action bar
- Bottom Left action bar
- Bottom Right Action bar
I try to keep similar keybinds across all my alts as it is easier to remember, but it is mainly up to your personal preference and depends on whatever is more comfortable to you.
Abilities - What keybinds do you use for your abilities?
` = Spectral Guise
1 = Atonement Macro (See Below) Casts holy fire on the closest target
2 = Power Word: Shield
3 = Angelic Feather
4 = Flash Heal
5 = Focus Holy Fire
6 = Silence
7 = Move my Shadowfiend
8 = Drink
F1 = Psychic Scream
F2 = Focus Smite
F3 = Self Fear Ward
Q = Saving Grace
E = PvP Trinket
R = Prayer of Mending
T = Leap of Faith
S = Focus Dispel Magic
F = Mass Dispel
G = Pain Suppression
Z = Dispel Party 2
X = Fade
C = Target Player (Self)
V = Archangel
B = Power Word: Barrier
Mouse Button 1 = Purify/Dispel Magic in one button (See Below)
Mouse Button 2 = Dispel Party 1
Mouse Button 3 = Holy Fire
Mouse Button 4 = Holy Nova
Shift+Q = Focus Silence
Shift+R = Smite
Shift+T = Mind Sear
Shift+A = Spirit Shell (When talented for it)
Shift+S = Self Purify
Shift+G = Target Focus
Shift+Z = Divine Star
Shift+C = Focus Shadow Word: Pain
Shift+D = Shadow Word: Pain
Shift+Mouse Button 1 = Leap of Faith party 1
Shift+Mouse Button 2 = Leap of Faith party 2
(11) Suggested Macros
Important Ability Macros - What macros do you have that include your abilities?
Purify Self Macro (with raid mark setting)
- I have a macro to cast on myself and put a raid mark target icon on me. (Useful when you are Night Elf as the raid mark will dissappear when you use ) because it is sometimes easier to dispel yourself with a macro when you are already targeting an ally.
/cast [@player] purify
target of target macro
- I have a Shadowfiend macro that you can use when targeting a friendly player and it will assist whatever target he is targeting. You can also spam that macro on different targets to make your Shadowfiend swap targets. It is useful because it allows you to only use 1 keybind without switching target.
/cast [nopet,harm][nopet,target=targettarget,harm] Shadowfiend
- I have a very important macro which i call the "Atonement" macro, which basically casts on the closest target in order to gain stacks without losing your target.
/cast holy fire
- I have a macro to use when you play with , it requires a cancelaura for your shields in order to work and get yourself out of crowd controls.
/cancelaura power word: shield
/cancelaura divine aegis
/cancelaura spirit shell
/cancelaura clarity of will
/cast [@focus] holy fire
- I have a macro to shackle the enemy Gargoyle without losing my current target.
/target Ebon Gargoyle
/cast Shackle Undead
Target Partners Pet Macro
- I have a macro to target my partners pet, it doesn't matter which class they play as long as they have a pet, all you have to do is enter their name as the following:
- I like to use this because the pet frame is smaller and harder to click.
Party Macros - What do you use to cast at your party members?
- My main party macros are my macros in order to dispel my partners really fast no matter who i am targetting.
/cast [@yourpartnersname] purify
/cast [@party1] purify
- The second useful party macro is for .
/cast [@yourpartnersname] leap of faith
/cast [@party1] leap of faith
- Once again the reason these macros are useful is because they make you gain time. Targetting an ally AND THEN using a certain spell takes slightly longer than using the above macros, as you do not need to switch target.
I use 4 different macros for my focus, they are not necessarily needed but are very useful if you have extra keybinds.
- Cast on my focus, very useful when you get locked out on your holy tree since there is nothing else you can cast other than and .
/cast [@focus] shadow word: pain
- Cast on my Focus, it is utile in a lot of situations, mainly to avoid getting Crowd Controlled.
/cast [@focus] silence
- Cast on my Focus, It helps to go quickly offensive if your team is on your current Focus target.
/cast [@focus] penance
- Cast on my Focus.
/cast [@focus] dispel magicI really recommend this one, it is one of the most useful Focus macros because it’s easier to use than targeting that enemy and then dispelling him.
What macros do you use to cast at the arena targets 1/2/3?
I have three Macros to respectively Arena 1, 2 and 3 which is useful to avoid CC on you when said enemy is not on your focus for example.
/cast [@arena1] silence
/cast [@arena2] silence
/cast [@arena3] silence
(12) Suggested Addons and Scripts
Addons: What addons do you use that you would recommend other players should use?
- Loss of Control: Lose Control, very useful as it shows any type of CC on the player/focus/target/arena enemy portrait making it way easier to see.
- DR Tracker : I use an addon called DRTracker, which is very useful to keep track on all the diminishing returns of your team
- Power Auras: I run a script to add a Power Aura when my Insignia of Dominance Trinkets Procs.
/run SAF=SpellActivationOverlayFrame SAS=SpellActivationOverlay_ShowOverlay SAH=SpellActivationOverlay_HideOverlays
/run FO1="TEXTURES\\SPELLACTIVATIONOVERLAYS\\berserk.bl p";FO2="TEXTURES\\SPELLACTIVATIONOVERLAYS\\berserk .blp";FO3="TEXTURES\\SPELLACTIVATIONOVERLAYS\\BRAI N_FREEZE.BLP";FO4="TEXTURES\\SPELLACTIVATIONOVERLA YS\\LOCK_AND_LOAD.BLP"
/run PS1=CreateFrame("FRAME");PS2=CreateFrame("FRAME"); PS3=CreateFrame("FRAME");PS4=CreateFrame("FRAME")
/run PS3:RegisterEvent("UNIT_AURA");PS3:SetScript('OnEv ent',function() o=0 for i=1,40 do _,_,_,_,_,_,_,_,_,_,id=UnitAura("Player",i) if id==182067 then SAS(SAF,182067,FO2,"TOP",1.2,139,65,239,false,true ) o=1 end end if o==0 then SAH(SAF,182067) end end)
- Arena Frames: the addon SArena is useful as it shows various information on your arena enemy frames, as well as showing their PvP Trinket cooldown.
- I also highly recommend Gladius, a well rounded addon that shows everything you need to know PvP wise.
- Enemy Cooldown Tracking : Interruptbar 2
- Once again, I highly recommend this addon, it is extremely useful, especially as a healer and you can configure it to track ANY cooldown of any class.
What scripts do you use that you would recommend other players should use?
- Frame Positions and Sizes
- I recommend moving and resizing some frames to your personal preference, whatever feels more comfortable for you!
- Arena Frames
- I do not use Gladius, but I recommend this addon as it provides very important information and is easily customizable (size, position, etc)
- If you do not wish to use Gladius, I recommend moving your arena frames a bit closer to the left than their original position, as well as making them bigger.
- It will make looking at your enemy casts easier!
- Note: the coordinates below are the location of the Arena Enemy Frame, changing the numbers will change the positioning (x and y)
/run ArenaEnemyFrame1:SetPoint("CENTER",UIParent,"CENTE R",240,160)
/run ArenaEnemyFrame2:SetPoint("CENTER",UIParent,"CENTE R",240,120)
/run ArenaEnemyFrame3:SetPoint("CENTER",UIParent,"CENTE R",240,80)
/run ArenaEnemyFrame1.SetPoint = function() end
/run ArenaEnemyFrame2.SetPoint = function() end
/run ArenaEnemyFrame3.SetPoint = function() end
- Note: the below script increases the size of the Arena Frame, changing the number (1.6) will increase or reduce the size.
Thats it for this guide. I would like you all to join me with giving a very special thanks to Zunniyaki who has done an incredible job in giving up his time to pass onto me the most detailed information possible so i could put together this guide for all of you to enjoy and learn from.
30 April 2016 - 06:45 AM
29 April 2016 - 08:50 PM
Mage/Hpal/(insert high single target damage class here)-i.e feral, rogue, boomy, Fury Warrior, etc.
from vincentwong guide