- Viewing Profile: Reputation: Brandnewftwarmorforsleep
BrandnewftwarmorforsleepMember Since 26 Jan 2012
Offline Last Active Dec 12 2014 12:35 AM
- Group Junkies
- Active Posts 28
- Profile Views 2020
- Member Title Member
- Age Age Unknown
- Birthday Birthday Unknown
Posted leek on 21 November 2014 - 11:07 AM
Hi there, I am Leekzy - a swedish guy with a (very) swedish accent who has played Mage since season 2, achieving Rank 1 and Gladiator multiple times with my highest rating ever being 3114 in Season 15. This is the first guide I've written for AJ, and it's aimed at a bit more inexperienced and newer players - although you may find that you can take something from this as an advanced player aswell!
Shoutout to Vanguards, whos Retribution guide served as an excellent template!
So what is actually different in Warlords of Draenor as a Frost Mage?
1.) Tons of abilities have been removed from the game (R.I.P. Evocation, Fire Blast and Mana Gem) and a lot of the mechanics of the spells/talents/specializations which weren't removed has changed. I recommend reading this summary if you haven't checked it out already for a lot of solid info.
2.) M-M-M-MULTISTRIKE. New stats have been added to the game which change the way we gear drastically due to the changes to some of our core mechanics (i.e. Brain Freeze).
3.) Removal of Improved Counterspell and other "blanket" silences! This is a change which affects us immensely - and although it might seem bad at first this is actually (imho) a buff to mages - more on that later!
4.) Der..Deep* Freeze now breaks on damage.
Oh well! This might seem bad at first glance (and it's definitely a nerf), but it plays out pretty well in the actual gameplay. Let's delve into the world of Crowd Control (CC) and getting creative with Deep Freeze later on in the guide!
5.) Diminishing Returns (DR)! A lot of changes have been made to DR's in WoD, most of which you can read here.
This changes the way a lot of Mage comps play and it's something that should be kept in mind going into WoD as a Frost Mage!
Important to note is that if you play with Ice Nova it also DR's Polymorph.
6.) WHERE THE F**K IS MY FROST NOVA???+++
(If you're spec'd into Ice Nova, which yes, you probably are, join in)
Why... should you play a Mage in WoD?
First of all - the class is actually really fun to play in arenas at the moment! A lot of changes in WoD makes it an overall smoother and much more enjoyable experience to play a Mage in the arena. I feel like we still have a really high skill-cap and can play with every class that's in the game currently.
Below is my default arena spec - but this is something that can and will change depending on what composition (comp) that you play and play versus.
Remember that nothing is set in stone guys, experiment, have fun - if you see something and think "hey this might make me kick that huntards ass" then by all means go for it.
What's following is my personal approach - I feel like these are really stable choices with the most arguable one being the level 45 and 100 tier.
This talent is amazing to have as a Mage - it really opens up for a lot of "plays" to be made both defensively and offensively and is just solid mobility in general. Practically a baby Rocket Boots. With 25 sec cooldown (CD). Go figure.
I feel like this just is the most solid choice here, sure a lot of classes have some form of purging ability which can get rid of Ice Barrier but use it with good timing and it's still a really solid defensive out and CD. Alter Time was changed and no longer resets your buffs (only HP and position), from my testing it's highly situational in its current state.
Ayay, everything is viable???
RoF is just a solid choice which enables us to get CC rolling easier, something that is useful vs every comp you can face.
All of these talents have really good specific uses, however since Ice Ward now DR's with our other novas and RoF is a better CC to peel with Ice Ward will mostly see use versus comps that sit on the Mage from start to finish.
Frostjaw can actually be AMAZING as a peel/setup vs certain spellcleaves since it's actually a Silence - be aware Dwarfs' can remove this with Stoneform though!
Amazing talent, pretty self-explanatory.
Can be used if you are locked out on your Frost-tree to enable Ice Block anyway.
Although Frost Bomb does alright damage the utility and on demand burst that Ice Nova offers is in my opinion too good to pass up.
There are so many uses for this outside of just doing damage as it acts as a mini-stun (interrupts casts momentarily for example) that hits Area-of-Effect (AoE).
Incanter's Flow is a rather awkward talent to understand at first but once you get the hang of it it's pretty simple: you deal more damage, and if you time it well you deal A LOT more damage.
Mirror Images does a lot of damage aswell and can definitely be the way to go vs some comps, I predict that it mostly will see use in 1v1 and 2v2.
This talent is awkward to use, awkward to understand and it covers the screen in lazer beams. Fear not though - once you lose your Crystal virginity I doubt that you will want to go back to Comet Storm!
Although the CD of Prismatic Crystal is rather long (1,5 minutes) its definitely worth it over the underwhelming damage that Comet Storm offers in my opinion, and with some solid placement and CD usage (Lance with Icicles, 2x Frost Novas with Frozen Orb ticking is insane damage) you can actually close to slay an entire team with this talent!
Comet Storm also went down in "value" for me after they changed it so that you can't use it while being locked out on your Frost-tree.
A lot of choices here.
I change around my glyphs a lot depending on what I am playing vs. Most of these are pure preference!
Glyph of Polymorph - Highly recommended if you play with any class that might put a DoT on anything.
Glyph of Icy Veins - Now gives you 45% Multistrike instead of spell haste. Click, clack boom. Loss of the utility the haste gives though, I swap around this glyph from time to time.
Glyph of Ice Block - Makes you immune to all spells for 3 seconds after using Ice Block and unleashes a Frost Nova around you. This glyph can both save lives and act as an offensive tool, however it lost some of its value offensively for me due to the blanket silence change.
Glyph of Spellsteal - Spellsteal also heals you for 4% of your maximum health when you use it.
Really good glyph for surviving in 2v2/3v3, watch your mana however as it's very mana intensive to spam!
Glyph of Splitting Ice - Your Ice Lance and Icicles hit an additional target for 50% damage. This glyph feels really good with Prismatic Crystal, test it out for yourself.
Glyph of Deep Freeze - takes Deep Freeze of the Global Cooldown (GCD). Doesn't feel as mandatory anymore due to Deep changes.
Glyph of Regenerative Ice - You heal 4% of your maximum HP every second while in Ice Block. Really situational for 3v3, has uses in 2v2 though!
My opinion on stats comes from discussing gear with other top level Mages and testing different gear pieces out - if you got any input please reply to the thread and I'll consider editing the post!
Int > Multistrike > Haste >= Crit > Versatility = Mastery
Neck: Multistrike, 50-75
Cloak: 100 Multistrike and 10% Movement Speed
Rings: 30-50 Multistrike
Weapon: Mark of the Frostwolf (Multistrike), currently it costs a round 10-15k on most servers though so Mark of the Shattered Hand works just fine.
Which comps can I play in WoD as a Frost Mage?
So far it feels like you can play with pretty much every class!
If I were to predict our strongest comps based on my current experience in wargames and skirmishes I would say that these comps all will be viable:
DK/Mage/Healer might make a truly solid appearance aswell, although I haven't gotten around to trying the comp out!
These are the macros I personally use, I recommend checking out previous Mage guides on AJ for more input since not a lot has changed macro-wise!
CLICK HERE FOR MACROS
Gearing your Mage for Arenas
Gear according to stat priorities and get 4 piece for the set bonus (serves as dispel protection mainly!) with the legs for maximum multistrike.
MY ARMORY LINK
Great, you got your Mage setup and ready to play!
... and now what?
Whether you come from TBC, WotLK, Cata or MoP into WoD one thing is certain - Mage now plays differently from any other expansion.
While I am sure the removal of Deep-Blanket for kills confuses and annoys a lot of Mages (how am I even able to kill something on my own anymore?) it's important to remember that adapting to the metagame is the single most important going into a new expansion. There is light at the end of the tunnel guys, it's just a different tunnel we're in!
Mages now rely on getting solid CC rolling on the enemy team and ramping up your damage to be able to unleash at the moment you want to burst - for examples stacking up a few icicles so that you know that when that CC lands on the enemy healer you are ready to do massive damage.
A lot comes down to managing your Ice Novas, if you are able to stack up 2 or even just 1 with some solid Fingers of Frost (FoF) or Brain Freeze (BF) procs you can do insane amounts of burst damage! Mashing the abilities right as they pop up on cooldown might make you do overall more damage but gimp your potential burst, something which is important to understand to be able to land kills.
The removal of blanket silences has really helped us land CC - fake casting is now better than ever and this change lets you do something you rarely could do since the end of WotLK - actually Deep Freeze someone, fake a Counterspell (CS) or interrupt and then actually get a Polymorph or Ring of Frost cast off straight afterwards!
A neat little trick you can use is to simply Deep Freeze the enemy healer, start casting RoF and tank the interrupt while spamming your Polymorph binding - this guarantees that you will land either the RoF or the Poly on the healer. This was not a possibility before simply due to the fact that you got blanket silenced even though you managed to fake the CS.
Another tip is to track the Dispel Cooldown of enemy healers - this was incredibly important in MoP and it still is, maybe even more so in WoD! This truly allows us to start abusing the beauty of Polymorph and our other CC's. I personally use Gladius to track it, I'm sure there are other addons which does this aswell.
Last but not least I want to share a simple yet very effective trick that I wish I knew of when I started playing mage for getting cross-CC (Crowd-Controlling multiple opponents in the arena) rolling.
Say you're looking to CC a healer, but you need to prevent a Shadow Priest from Mass Dispelling him out of your Polymorph and you do not have your CS off cooldown. What you can do is that you Polymorph the SP, while spamming your focus Deep Freeze macro on the enemy healer - these two spells should land at the same time, basically starting the double-CC. You can then cast a RoF on top of the Deep Freeze and voila, you just controlled two players by yourself without having to mess with dispels and whatnot.
Thanks a lot for reading, hopefully this gave you some form of help going into Warlords of Draenor as a Frost Mage - if you got any questions feel free to PM me on AJ or Twitch.TV - I'll try my best to reply to everyone.
In frost we trust,
Posted Flavours on 06 October 2014 - 05:07 PM
Follwing the format of Youtube channel cinema sins, i tired my best at picking out just what went wrong
i am still bad at making videos
Posted Bigmoran on 05 October 2014 - 07:11 PM
Posted Marshmellow on 30 September 2014 - 02:21 AM
Posted Esiwdeer on 03 October 2014 - 04:17 AM
your class has design
my class is retarded and gets stats to keep up sometimes
there's clear evidence showing the hunter class was an afterthought, just look at the massive changes it has undergone. yooo, so.. we're taking your mana and melee weapon and now your attacks can be dodged but of course we'll ensure you're still relevant on the arena ladders
if you seriously don't see this, you are basically living in the matrix and you don't even know what the fuck is going on
i feel like kanye west. you know what snutz thought going into that game?
"lmao, dis idiot jungyup on dalaran arena vs a mage and a warlock, get ript nerd" - reckful even came up and was like "use curse of doom, becuz they r doomed lol"
because he KNEW he shouldn't have lost that game, by rights and in his hubris he was slain by someone thinking only about american women - let that be a lesson to all mages, warlocks, and other casters playing ez mode. keep your eyes on the prize, gentlemen.
perpetuating stereotypes about hunters just hurts all of us. hunters are just as smart and capable of providing for a family as anyone.
Posted Marshmellow on 03 October 2014 - 12:04 AM
Posted Capstone on 23 September 2014 - 01:47 AM
Posted Zaephyr on 21 September 2014 - 11:09 AM
Posted Breadstick on 21 September 2014 - 08:23 AM
it's literally 2014 what's wrong with you guys
Posted Regent on 18 September 2014 - 11:54 PM
Since there has been a lot of drama recently, I figured I would make a TL;DR thread for those of you that have successful real lives and can't sit on ArenaJunkies 24/7.
The North American Regional Qualifiers:
- Hosted by ESL (the same company that organized the holocaust)
- 2800 players qualify but only 50 Teams signed up
- No seeding and random placement meant some popular teams eliminated each other right of the bat
- Zero interaction with Blizzard, even after the ESL website wasn't working
- People suspect Blizzard will be asking for some of the money they paid ESL back, since ESL apparently completely forgot that they were supposed to hold this tournament
- Timestamp does show that Vanguards team was almost 30 minutes late to their match
- They claim they had no idea the time they were supposed to play
- Poor organization and almost no help from ESL admin, many people think they didn't deserve the loss
- Vanguards, being the least confrontational person in existence, made a nice forum post saying how he is slightly angry that he missed out on a chance for $40,000 USD
- Claims his first loss was not actually the "real" game and only practice
- Screenshots show his team agreeing it was the real game
- Some people claim that after his second loss he tried to contact tournament admin and get it changed
- Talbadar is "disappointed" in jah
- Jah, unsurprisingly, calls everyone "retards" and hasn't been seen since
- By far the biggest drama generating event of the tournament
- Wizk, Jakenotezz, and Random rogue decided to play RPS in tournament
- Upon tournament brackets coming out, they realize they will have to fight comps that are strong against them
- Wizk realizes that it would be too obvious to ddos his opponents, he determines he will have to come up with another way to cheat
- Wizk replaces his rogue and rsham with an rdruid and mage who are not on his team roster and then wins multiple games (it is assumed that the mage was played by, "Piecez," and the druid by, "Rynd")
- People (obviously) realize what is happening and he gets disqualified for cheating
- Wizk then cries, makes a 40 minute video about why he didn't cheat, no one believes him
- Jakenotezz, then makes a post on AJ admitting that they cheated, apologizing, and says he only did it to bang his 18 y/o e-girlfriend when he goes to New York
- Wizk then claims he is too good for this community
- Wizk locks in his spot next to Xandyn in the "top 5 scummiest wow players of all time"
- Randomroguex is mad that no one knows who he is, doesn't understand the concept of why cheating is bad, and is apparently a part of some "elite cheaters club"
- Apparently it was easier to allow these people to play in the tournament and then disqualify them after they won
- Raises multiple questions about the outcome of the tournament, since the teams who got DQ'ed knocked people out of the tournament
- The dominant team of Jeff, Barry, and Twochainz is rumored to be one of the teams DQ'ed
- Made multiple weird posts about having a girlfriend
- Multiple awkward tweets involving, but not limited to: old memes, obscure Norwegian cover bands, and History channel TV shows
- All of this is okay though, because according to him, he "has a lot of friends"
- but apparently forget to tell him he is off the team
- Famous monk, "Dannycarey" is replace by other famous monk, "Verdantstorm"
- Novoz and Thugonomicz imply that Dannycarey is part of something (Illuminati?)
- Dannycarrey still hasn't run out of mana
- Surprisingly, Glinks didn't cheat or try to ddos anyone
- Nice work, Glinks
- A week has gone by since his last sighting
- Police have decided to end the search
- His family stays hopeful
- Datacus tries really hard to get some free rep, fails miserably
- For the first time in over a year, people are capped out on giving rep
- If you point out any scummy things that friends of the moderators have done, you will be getting an infraction
- Flavour is still making stupid posts
- Dillypoo's insults have been getting noticeably better over time, possibly hitting puberty soon?
- Bigmoran tries to dispel ddos rumors by threatening to ddos anyone who talks about it
- Thugonomicz believes that Arenajunkies.com is actually "Horse cocks"
- Bailamos dropped in to insult Jakenotezz for having an e-girlfriend, the irony is palpable
- More wintrading in EU, no one is surprised
- The "scummy dozen" continue to rep each-other in an attempt to make it seem like they have some community support
- Ayra is still black, and still european
Posted Capstone on 18 September 2014 - 02:43 AM
just saw this on the front page of honorbuddy's website
Posted Mattadoro on 09 September 2014 - 10:23 PM