- Viewing Profile: Reputation: Callyo
CallyoMember Since 07 Jul 2011
Offline Last Active Sep 23 2013 06:52 PM
- Group Junkies
- Active Posts 96
- Profile Views 2527
- Member Title Advanced Member
- Age Age Unknown
- Birthday Birthday Unknown
Posted stalebagel on 26 March 2013 - 01:09 AM
Posted Braindance on 26 March 2013 - 01:08 AM
a)There is no sense of reward or punishment in those forums and in the game now. You can be a saint and get nothing or be a complete jackass and get the respect of this mob called junkies, just because you got "swag" (/puke)
b)The game atm can be played almost solo mode. You don't need a guild to do raids - you got lfr. You can get gear from dailies. In BC pve and pvp gear were interlinked - you could pvp in pve gear and vice versa and you had to work with a closely knit team to achieve your goals
c) The moderation is, as the word says, moderate. Moderators are too easy on everyone. Bans are rare. Infractions have too high of a cap. Any sociopath that had problems with his real life, can come here and open fire on everyone without any kind of punishment, UNLESS, someone, somewhere decides to push the report button which is scarcely used
d)"Good" players have no time now. They are "too busy" or afking. I remember in s2, the one that helped me transition from rogue to warrior was a guy named Dustman that was top 5 2s/3s most of s2 and 3. This guy was qing 24/7, but when I asked him for help (multiple times), he literally stopped qing to give me macros and playstyle advice. I am still continuing his legacy of helping others. People turn to me for help in messages and in game whispers while my title collection is the lowest of the low. Why? Because I care to help them
e)Bitches play this game. What do I mean? Instead of working around the imbalances and/or making helpful suggestions on how to improve the game, they just bitch. 24/7 they bitch about everything. "Why is my class weak?"."Why can't I have tattoos on my character?". "Why can't I can't see my character's genitalia to masturbate?".
f)You get the most +rep for posting moronic bullshit and childish insults. Good posts are rarely rewarded.
This AJ, is sending all the new players to either skill-capped or streamers. How many new players are willing to pay money to learn how to pvp? Quite a few. How many new players would pvp if they didn't have to pay to go through the rough learning curve? A lot.
tl;dr If moderation in this place doesn't become way more strict, if no incentives are given to junkies for making guides (even that pet giveaway that Curse does), this situation will keep recycling itself perpetually.
Posted vomite on 24 March 2013 - 05:57 AM
Posted Filthpig on 22 March 2013 - 12:16 AM
- Feel as if they're in a good place right now. Cooldown stacking is still stupid.
- I think warriors may become a victim of "balanced class disorder" where they don't seem as good because overpowered classes are just so much better.
- Still no viable spec, aff and destro have a small representation on the ladders but are still completely sub par to mage or spriest.
- Demo knock off is completely overpowered. Needs at least 5s added to CD.
- Lock healing cooldowns should be nerfed in exchange for old soul link back.
- Demonic Gateway should either be removed from arena or invoke a minute or longer cooldown for each player.
- Blanket CS should be removed from the game.
- Mages do way way way too much damage.
- Deep Freeze cooldown is too short, is CS and damage get tuned should be fine.
- Pyroblast damage is under the radar right now, it's pretty hilarious.
- Shuriken Toss spam does more damage than a hunter. Derp.
- Subterfuge is kind of retarded.
- Paralytic poison puts rogues over the top on CC.
- Not rogue in particular, but everyone in the game stealths now, I find it absurd for people to be given good openers every game with no effort. Maybe Mass Concealment should go.
- Solar Beam is getting a bandaid (yay)
- Instant starsurges should do less damage than casted ones.
- Cyclone should DR with polymorph so godcomp isn't so fucking dominant.
- Symbiosis needs serious tuning, too gamebreaking.
- Feral does too much damage during cooldowns, can solo any healer easily if left alone for like two seconds.
- Insanity hits too hard.
- Mass Dispel for shadow is game breaking.
- Lifeswap should be Discipline only or put dispersion on cooldown.
- Shadow Priests heal for too much.. still....
- Spirit Shell seems kind of overtuned.
- Psyfiend still spam fears targets - was supposed to be fixed in patch.
- Power Word Shield crits, because that's needed.
- Tremor totem cooldown is still shorter than most fear abilities in the game.
- Resto mastery is funny.
- Healing stream totem heals for too much.
- Ele seems to be at least playable now, maybe more buffs.
- Enh is total garbage, buffs.
- Giving all totems health was a step in the right direction, but I still feel that spirit link should be killable.
- Even though monks are really bad Ring of Peace is completely absurd and should be given a longer cooldown. Can currently use on every DPS CD (dark soul, dance, Bestial Wrath, etc.)
- Spear Hand Strike shouldn't silence if you miss the cast. Sorry - it's ridiculous.
- Double Grip, if you fail to icy touch the grounding down that's tough shit. Double gripping into fears will get dumb again too.
- Asphyxiate should have a longer cooldown, as if death knights needed another way to interrupt casters/healers.
- Desecrated Ground - area of zero CC, what game is this?
- Frost does retarded damage, spamming out 100k obliterates and frost strikes is kinda stupid for instant abilities.
- Sac for ret shouldn't dispel shit, I'm sorry, if dispel is going to have a cooldown then there should be no defensive dispels on non healers.
- Holy seems to be alright now that they can't CC chain you as easily.
- Powershot hit's way too hard.
- Hunter damage in general is too high and derpy and too cooldown based.
- 8 sec nondispellable root is pretty ridiculous if I do say so myself.
Lemme know if I missed anything. Yes, nerf everything.
Posted Vioz on 22 March 2013 - 02:35 PM
Posted Koly on 22 March 2013 - 02:04 PM
a fucking card game
Posted Thaya on 14 February 2013 - 04:33 PM
Ever since WotLK ended, I've had the opinion that the problem of WoW PvP is not balance, but the systems. In fact, the things I'm going to talk about have always been in place, I just didn't notice them because I enjoyed random battlegrounds, skirmishes and 2v2 up until Cataclysm. I don't want to make this a nostalgia thread or a rant on bringing back skirmishes, but a few words have to be said about skirmish: reintroducing skirmish arenas, with the way the game has evolved since they were last active, would be a stupid decision. Back in WotLK individual skill was a much bigger factor than it is today - this is both due to developer decisions and players getting much better in these 4 years - arena is all about team synergy now, individual skill doesn't even fascinate anybody anymore. A single player just won't be able to make enough of a difference on his own to make it fun in the slightest, perhaps with the exception of one or two specs, and I'm not even going to talk about the obvious problem of team compositions and how predictable it will be. If they are reintroduced in the original implementation, people will play them for a short while, and then it will just be another dead area of the game.
Let's forget about the other PvP modes for now and focus only on arenas - it is a little game of its own, there's nothing that feels or plays quite like it, and it has a community of its own.
A huge problem with the arena system is that there is only one, ranked, mode. I believe it applies to everybody, or at least the vast majority, that you're not always in the mood to play serious, to play to win. And I believe every arena player has been in a situation where you wanted to try playing with some other people or your friends - just for fun - but couldn't due to being locked to their "serious" team. The real reason people want skirmishes back is because arena players simply don't have anything to do when they're not in the mood to play serious, or when their team mates are offline, or whatever other reasons not to play ranked. Ever noticed how many people buy Arena Pass just to be able to mess around without putting their live ratings in danger? it's always a very short sparkle of interest, because AP isn't really that good of a solution, but it's a good example of what people want.
And so, why not do the obvious thing, the thing that exists in several other super popular games?
Give it a a matchmaking system to match equal teams, but no ladder and no statistic tracking at all. No need for teams too, just let any party of 3 queue for it, even cross realm parties. Characters will still have MMR attached to them, and the average of that MMR will be used for the party - imagine it as if a temporary arena team is created. It just won't matter, it won't give rewards, it won't be displayed on the UI, the matchmaking system will extend its search range a lot quicker (aim for 2-3 min queues tops, even at the cost of equal matchups), and there will be no competition based around it. An organized skirmish, that's exactly what it should feel like.
Firstly, this will be a less serious environment to play in for the veterans, a polygon to run new teams or just play for fun, something you can queue any time of the day carelessly, something you don't have to commit to. And secondly, this would be a wonderful thing for new PvP players. It's just like the real thing, but without the pain of losing; I know people who tried arena, sucked due to being new, and never touched it again because they just kept losing. WoW arena has a very steep learning curve at least due to the amount of information you need to memorize and get used to before you really feel like you understand what's going on, being put straight into a competitive environment makes it that much harder; on top of that, gear is a much bigger factor than it's ever been, but let's discuss this another time.
Now, since I've touched the subject of new players... Let's go back to the real world where PvP isn't just arenas. The general consensus on AJ is "who cares about random BGs", but it is so much more important for the game overall than people think. Random BGs is the first place people unfamiliar with PvP go to, not only because of gear, but because it's the only type of PvP you can queue solo for. This is where they get their opinions about the PvP side of the game, and do you honestly think it's a good one if every second active poster here is botting, and some of you even actively support it? If I continue this subject I'll have to repeat myself a lot from an earlier thread about honor and battlegrounds, but key points were: the honor grind must be shortened A LOT, it's totally wrong that getting starter PvP gear takes so long; winning/losing shouldn't be as important as it is (random is random); and botting should be at least risky and more complex to use than it is today.
Another problem with the systems is how weird the matchmaking system is. Why do you sometimes not get a high rated team from your realm that you KNOW is queueing, and instead get 10 min queues into a team 700 rating below you? Why do you sometimes experience the opposite and get the same team 3-5 times in a row when you KNOW there's other teams queueing, and you even have to sit and wait for them to finish their game when they bump into somebody else? Why do battlegroups still exist even though it's been many years since it's possible for cross battlegroup matchups? all battlegroups do now is slow down queues for everybody and give out free rank 1 titles from 5v5 shares. Why does it take years to fix an exploit in the RBG MMR system, an exploit that people made thousands of euro on, and even humiliated Blizzard by making 5000 rated level 1 characters for the purpose of advertising? Why do RBGs have a much, much better effort:reward ratio in a game that's based entirely around character/gear progression? RBG is easier for the individual player and gives everything that arena does plus more (higher cap), that's wrong on so many levels. Imagine how all of this mess looks like to new players.
It is the oldest and ugliest system in the game by far, it's had so many things built on top of it and patched that it's just an archaic abomination.
There's so many great ideas out there. It doesn't even have to be unranked mode - that's just my take on it and an idea I haven't seen discussed before. Think about weekly challenges/tournaments with rewards - regular 100k gold tournaments would be intense. Introduce observing, at least in ghost mode like on a certain private server, but preferably more like the 5.2 Brawl (can keep it tournament-only). Introduce a best-of-3 mode for it, and allow it to be used in wargames.
Think about getting rid of end of season rewards completely. End of season rewards only promote cheating and boosting by now, and their value as an achievement of skill diminished to the point they're almost irrelevant. You could replace them with the aforementioned tournaments, or do other things like temporary per-season achievements that turn into FoS (f.ex. a new Arena Master per season, Flawless Victor, 2.2/2.4/2.7 per season). You know how fun it is for new players to get a RBG achievement every 100 rating they advance? Imagine if Arena had something similar, and you got Gladiator at say 2.5k, Duelist at 2.2, etc. And the seasons are really short so it doesn't get stale - you don't NEED TO introduce a new title and set of gear every single season.
Think about reintroducing 2v2 in some shape or form (f.ex. with a healing debuff, because right now healer/dps vs healer/dps is impossible), with rewards or achievements to it, especially something for the newer and less experienced players - 2v2 is actually one of the greatest and easiest ways to learn other classes as well as a great way to pass time when bored, it solves nearly every problem I mentioned here.
The way PvP works right now doesn't allow new players to enjoy the game. This is my entire point with this post. The biggest and most important reason that arena activity is dying is that old players are quitting, but no new players are picking up WoW PvP because it sucks to play with randoms and tank down to 1k rating on your first session. There is no "entry level" in WoW PvP, you're thrown straight into ranked 3v3 where you get crushed by people fully geared and most likely with years of experience because WoW PvP hasn't really attracted players for years. THIS is what needs fixing, and it's much more important than balance.
I'm not saying that balance is irrelevant, but no matter how good and balanced the game will be, it will never attract new players if the systems stay the way it is. There's a couple of very good changes in the patch - they fixed gear progression, which was the reason S12 had half the active teams compared to S11 (despite being a fresh expansion), and they also listened to our complaints about rating decay - we haven't even fully acknowledged how huge that change will be. Ultimately I'm making this thread in hopes to motivate them to work the PvP systems more, I imagine it's an easier task than balancing and is more useful at the same time.
Most of these won't even require too much developer work hours, and they won't affect PvE or other parts of the game. You can stick with temporary title rewards or gold and it'll be just fine for us, don't waste your precious developer time on tabards/mounts/pets. We just need a bit of your programmers work hours. Please make PvP fun again.
Posted Braindance on 17 March 2013 - 11:08 PM
Posted Ayume on 12 March 2013 - 08:10 PM
Posted Dakkrothy on 12 March 2013 - 07:34 PM
Posted Andreirl on 09 February 2013 - 04:22 AM
Posted Snackumz on 10 March 2013 - 09:56 AM