#1 Findor

Findor
  • Members
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • US-Dragonblight
  • Cyclone
  • Talents:

Posted 16 September 2009 - 11:40 PM

Does anyone here play online poker? Any advice for a new player?

#2 Lilic

Lilic
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kil'jaeden
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Shadow

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:13 AM

My bf plays 600nl online.

We conquer paradise just to burn it to the ground

#3 Vexo

Vexo
  • Moderators
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Combat 2/2/2/0/0/2

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:20 AM

I play on fulltiltpoker, I won a tourny last month for $3,500 but unfortunately I've lost about $1,000 of it back :(

#4 Discourage

Discourage
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Daggerspine
  • Cyclone
  • Talents: Demonology

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:35 AM

Is there any problem getting your money out with fulltilt?

#5 Vexo

Vexo
  • Moderators
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Combat 2/2/2/0/0/2

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:37 AM

Nope

#6 Lèbronn1296682080

Lèbronn1296682080
  • Members

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:39 AM

PLAY POKERSTARS

#7 Bobdeshepard

Bobdeshepard
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Arcane
  • RBG: 1317

Posted 17 September 2009 - 05:38 AM

My uncle makes ~20k/month avg, and he's teaching me how to play. Basically you want to be able to play as many tables as possible (8-12) at once, playing only premium hands. Make sure that you NEVER get mad when you take a bad beat- going on tilt is only going to cost you a lot of money in the long run. Don't play hands like Q-10, J-10, pocket pairs under 10. While they seem like good money, you'll end up losing more money than you gain.
Posted Image

#8 VonLego

VonLego
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Aegwynn
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Subtlety

Posted 17 September 2009 - 05:43 AM

What limit does your uncle play?  Cash games?  SnGs? Tournies?

#9 Bobdeshepard

Bobdeshepard
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall

Posted 17 September 2009 - 05:52 AM

VonLego said:

What limit does your uncle play?  Cash games?  SnGs? Tournies?
usually 2-400, but occasionally 3-6NL cash.
edit: he does this for a living, which explains the high income from it.
Posted Image

#10 Fisker

Fisker
  • Junkies
  • Curse Premium
  • Goblinclass_name
  • US-Emerald Dream
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Frost
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 17 September 2009 - 06:24 AM

some dude on my server makes like big bucks doing this shit.

:x im not very good at poker :\

#11 Zinadore

Zinadore
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Talnivarr
  • Reckoning / Abrechnung
  • Talents:

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:57 AM

We got a guy in DK who just had to pay back all he had earned as he did it for a living. Point being, be aware of the rules in the country you live in, before starting living off it :)

#12 DeathmatcH79

DeathmatcH79
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Nathrezim
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Frost

Posted 17 September 2009 - 09:42 AM

Bobdeshepard said:

My uncle makes ~20k/month avg, and he's teaching me how to play. Basically you want to be able to play as many tables as possible (8-12) at once, playing only premium hands. Make sure that you NEVER get mad when you take a bad beat- going on tilt is only going to cost you a lot of money in the long run. Don't play hands like Q-10, J-10, pocket pairs under 10. While they seem like good money, you'll end up losing more money than you gain.

I think Q-X is not that bad when there are like 3 ppl playing. However it's definetly shit when there are more.

#13 Dahislol

Dahislol
  • Members
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Blackrock
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents:

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:54 PM

Bobdeshepard said:

Your points about staying off tilt are accurate but everything else is very context-reliant.  Those hand ranges you suggest are decent for full ring (nine people) when there aren't many folds, but you have to play a lot of other marginal hands in six-max and many tournament situations or you're going to get run over.  

I made a pretty awesome wage playing online poker in college, but emotionally it was too much for me when I had a terrible string of cards and I never felt like I was contributing anything to society.

If you have the right mentality (i.e. you can ignore the value of money but at the same time you don't like to gamble with it) then you can do really well if you're willing to put the time in.
Posted Image

#14 Sir H

Sir H
  • Members
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Tortheldrin
  • Emberstorm
  • Talents: Restoration

Posted 17 September 2009 - 02:01 PM

where can you learn to play this game...i know a few people who make quite a decent supplement salary from just playin poker for a day or two
Posted Image

#15 Nocorras

Nocorras
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents:

Posted 17 September 2009 - 02:06 PM

Sir H said:

where can you learn to play this game...i know a few people who make quite a decent supplement salary from just playin poker for a day or two

Read super system 1/2  They are THE books on poker theory.
Harrington on Hold'em
No Limit Holdem Theory and Practice

Then actually play and try to apply the theories/strats.

#16 Woodhous

Woodhous
  • Members
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents:

Posted 17 September 2009 - 02:36 PM

the quickest and most successful/effective way to get good at online poker is to find someone who is already doing REALLY well to teach you, i wouldn't advise starting on your own

Ulbasaur said:

wish I lived in the uk

#17 Terribadsize

Terribadsize
  • Members
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • EU-Twilight's Hammer
  • Blackout
  • Talents: Discipline
  • Locationde_dust2

Posted 17 September 2009 - 03:02 PM

Sir H said:

start of by doing the quiz at pokerstrategy.com, if you get all answers right ull get a starting deposit of 50$
u can use the tutorials while doing the quiz, and you can google for some answers, its very doable in those 5 tries that u have

#18 Greg.

Greg.
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Illidan
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Assassination

Posted 17 September 2009 - 04:39 PM

I just started playing poker about a year ago, I have read some books (1 or 2 of harrington's I forget which) but I study a lot of poker with my friend who has read 10-20 books and we do a lot of theory crafting together.

I started playing on poker stars, I found out that there is a lot of loose/passive players and being tight isn't rewarded as much (called down until the river constantly, top pair never wins and you have to overplay hands which can be costly) and I probably lost my initial $30 deposit.

Went to fulltilt, I feel the interface is nicer, you can select what you want to a 't', tight play is normally rewarded and you can actually play "real" poker (make good solid bluffs, easier to set traps.  I also found that you have to be able to recognize better players as I hadn't been what I would consider "outplayed" on very many hands until I got to fulltilt where descent players actually play lowball tourneys/cash tables.

I think most people who actually want to learn the game could come to fulltilt and lose there intial $30 deposit learning then continue to make money on the second.

but of course (insert harrah's gambling problem commercial here) be careful if you find yourself wanting to just gamble, I suggest you stay away from poker sites :(

Hope this wasn't just a rant and actually helps someone !

#19 Bobdeshepard

Bobdeshepard
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall

Posted 17 September 2009 - 05:07 PM

Dahislol said:

Your points about staying off tilt are accurate but everything else is very context-reliant.  Those hand ranges you suggest are decent for full ring (nine people) when there aren't many folds, but you have to play a lot of other marginal hands in six-max and many tournament situations or you're going to get run over.  

I made a pretty awesome wage playing online poker in college, but emotionally it was too much for me when I had a terrible string of cards and I never felt like I was contributing anything to society.

If you have the right mentality (i.e. you can ignore the value of money but at the same time you don't like to gamble with it) then you can do really well if you're willing to put the time in.
Meant to say 8/9player games, was a little tired :). But you're right, in lower games you need to play worse hands, although in my experience the bigger amout of players in a game tend to yield bigger profits if you play 8-10 tables at once.
Posted Image

#20 Bobdeshepard

Bobdeshepard
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall

Posted 17 September 2009 - 05:09 PM

Greg. said:

I just started playing poker about a year ago, I have read some books (1 or 2 of harrington's I forget which) but I study a lot of poker with my friend who has read 10-20 books and we do a lot of theory crafting together.

I started playing on poker stars, I found out that there is a lot of loose/passive players and being tight isn't rewarded as much (called down until the river constantly, top pair never wins and you have to overplay hands which can be costly) and I probably lost my initial $30 deposit.

Went to fulltilt, I feel the interface is nicer, you can select what you want to a 't', tight play is normally rewarded and you can actually play "real" poker (make good solid bluffs, easier to set traps.  I also found that you have to be able to recognize better players as I hadn't been what I would consider "outplayed" on very many hands until I got to fulltilt where descent players actually play lowball tourneys/cash tables.

I think most people who actually want to learn the game could come to fulltilt and lose there intial $30 deposit learning then continue to make money on the second.

but of course (insert harrah's gambling problem commercial here) be careful if you find yourself wanting to just gamble, I suggest you stay away from poker sites :(

Hope this wasn't just a rant and actually helps someone !
After playing on fulltilt, Ultimate Bet, pokerstars, and party poker, there really isn't much of a difference in the long run on which site you play on (other than UB being caught up in that scam), your experience may have been coincidental.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<