Help

warrior priest vs druid hunter

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Nikuna

Nikuna
  • Junkies

Posted 08 February 2008 - 04:57 PM

So i just started doing 2 vs 2 again, to help a warrior friend get shoulders. It went well, got up to 1950 with almost no losses.. And then, we started constantly meeting druid hunter.

I know this combo is stupid godlike, but is there any way we can win if they are average? Since they are stuck on this rating, they can't be that great.

We usually try going on the hunter first to build some rage, then switch to pet and kill it. A good team won't let us kill it at all, but against these we usually manage. But the problem is, even with pet down, i will never get to drink long enough to get mana back up. I only get a few casts in before my mana is sitting at 0 again, and my warrior is sitting in cc forever since i can't dispel anymore. And then after a couple of mins i finally get killed from moonfire/auto shot spam.

We tried to go on the druid, caught him in a bad spot with my partner having alot of rage, but even then we couldn't kill him, scatter shot+cyclone and the druid was back on the bridge at full health.

We just have to accept that we got no chance against this setup, and it is meant to rule 2's, or is there anything we are missing?

#2 doo

doo
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Mug'thol
  • Vengeance / Rache
  • Talents: Marksmanship

Posted 09 February 2008 - 08:34 PM

hmm, your combo is freewin for hunter/druid
you can only hope that one of them have a disconnect :/

#3 KennyEU

KennyEU
  • Premium Junkies
  • Curse Premium
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • EU-Grim Batol
  • Misery
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 09 February 2008 - 09:18 PM

Indeed, no way to get rid of Viper Sting. Priest will be oom long before druid is oom..

#4 Swrdz

Swrdz
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Llane
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Beast Mastery

Posted 11 February 2008 - 08:41 AM

might as well just afk out at the start. save everyone some time =P

i know as a hunter/druid myself seeing a disc priest makes me happy

#5 signal

signal
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Frostmane
  • Reckoning
  • Talents: Arms

Posted 13 February 2008 - 01:43 AM

just gib the druid, it's your only chance

#6 Letters

Letters
  • Members
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Mug'thol
  • Vengeance
  • Talents:

Posted 13 February 2008 - 03:42 AM

I actually lost one of these today.  It was on nagrand and the fight went like this.  Warrior on me spamming hamstring for 20min.  Priest on other side of pillar oom but still unkillable.  Warrior fears priest fears and they take me down while druid is feared.

#7 Nirald

Nirald
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Kor'gall
  • Cruelty / Crueldad
  • Talents: Discipline

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:06 AM

Since the hunter buff patch the only way we have been able to kill bad players of this setup (bad players can still win with a more than a 50% chance, that's how stupidly easy it is for them) is by having both me and the warrior nuke all out on the nearest target, along with dispeling him of course, and hoping the burst makes them panic and mess up their CC rotation letting us finish something off. If it fails we just keep zerging the most viable target at the time (sometimes its the hunter, sometimes the druid will come close and offer a better target, sometimes its even the pet) until I go oom, at which point we might as well leave the game unless someone is almost dead.

This combo has become by far the most hopeless match for a warrior/priest, so all I can suggest other than the above is... to queue dodge them until you can meet another team (before the hunter buff patch I never thought I would even consider suggesting this). I have always claimed that skillful play can overcome setup disadvantages against almost any setup, but the disadvantage in this matchup is so huge that I just can't see it being overcome by anything other than Blizzard doing balance changes again.

EDIT: I'm sorry if this sounded more like a rant than an objective post, I only realized how it looks after rereading it, and since it contains at least some useful part (the zerging tactic) I'll leave it here (if moderators feel it doesn't belong here they can of course remove it).

#8 KennyEU

KennyEU
  • Premium Junkies
  • Curse Premium
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • EU-Grim Batol
  • Misery
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 13 February 2008 - 01:36 PM

There's really not a lot that changed with the patch against this matchup though. It's probably more because the hunter / druid combo wasn't this common. A hunter + druid with the hunter changes reverted will still own you easily.

#9 Nirald

Nirald
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Kor'gall
  • Cruelty / Crueldad

Posted 14 February 2008 - 05:24 AM

That's not true, one of the main hunter changes was the deadzone removal, and that is what made this setup so hopeless against any priest+melee (more specifically, the hunter now has the ability to put viper sting on every cd just with having a frost trap down, and there is nothing the priest can do with LoS to avoid it). They could always drag it to a very long game (their CC hasn't changed, they could always CC a melee to nothingness even with dispels) but they would never actually win.

Now they can actually end the game and, since other buffs gave them viability against other setups as well (which is by no means something bad, hunters desperately needed help before the patch), they are far more common so I don't find it surprising at all that there are a lot more threads asking about how to deal with druid+hunter. The game against such a team is not simply hard (mage+rogue for example is what I would call hard, they can win almost every game against healer+warrior but to do so they need to be skilled and play it flawlessly), its hopeless on a scale I haven't seen before, where even bad players can win by simply CCing the melee (the CC chain itself doesn't have to be flawless either, there are a lot of backup CCs if something goes wrong, even though they are dispellable) and laying a frost trap to stop the priest from hiding and avoiding the mana drain.

I agree that the problem of the extremely good synergy between hunter+druid always existed, it was just that hunters had other major issues that didn't allow this setup to work in the high-end so nobody had any reason to complain about it. Anyway I think this thread has been derailed enough now, so I won't reply any more in it, however please feel free to redirect me to some thread dedicated to hunter+druid synergies (or to make it if one doesn't exist) to continue this kind of discussion (otherwise I foresee this thread going to the Rant Room :P ).

#10 Moree

Moree
  • Members
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • EU-Grim Batol
  • Misery
  • Talents: Holy

Posted 24 March 2008 - 01:11 PM

In theorycrafing, you'd have to manaburn the hunter, get his mana below 2000 or something or preferably oom. Oom hunter does lol damage, and if you kill the pet when hunter is oom, he cant res it. So if you get hunter oom, kill pet, stick warrior on hunter. You should be able to outlast them. But thats theory crafting, you have to take account of cyclone/roots etc, feign death-drinking, nelf-shadowmeld drinking.. :)

As I read some other priest mention somewhere, if youre oom and hunter is oom, renew should be able to keep you up.

Anyhow, my best guess. Just dont give up, that just cheesy.. :)

#11 Toliak

Toliak
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Shadow Council
  • Reckoning
  • Talents: Holy

Posted 24 March 2008 - 01:43 PM

I have a 2100 Warrior/Priest team. The only way we found is to catch to burn the druid and hope for a bit of luck. We start out with the warrior beating on the hunter to force the druid out of stealth.
As soon as the druid pops out the warrior get on him (hopefully saving intercept). I spam dispel the druid, than pop PI and dot him up, I save my fear for when the hunter scatter shots my warrior, so the druid can't top himself off and get free. It's all about pressure on the druid.

But honestly, you should expect to lose more of these matches than win.

#12 Tzatziki

Tzatziki
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Blackrock
  • Bloodlust

Posted 24 March 2008 - 11:31 PM

Nikuna said:

So i just started doing 2 vs 2 again, to help a warrior friend get shoulders. It went well, got up to 1950 with almost no losses.. And then, we started constantly meeting druid hunter.

I know this combo is stupid godlike, but is there any way we can win if they are average? Since they are stuck on this rating, they can't be that great.

We usually try going on the hunter first to build some rage, then switch to pet and kill it. A good team won't let us kill it at all, but against these we usually manage. But the problem is, even with pet down, i will never get to drink long enough to get mana back up. I only get a few casts in before my mana is sitting at 0 again, and my warrior is sitting in cc forever since i can't dispel anymore. And then after a couple of mins i finally get killed from moonfire/auto shot spam.

We tried to go on the druid, caught him in a bad spot with my partner having alot of rage, but even then we couldn't kill him, scatter shot+cyclone and the druid was back on the bridge at full health.

We just have to accept that we got no chance against this setup, and it is meant to rule 2's, or is there anything we are missing?

There are a few gay sneaky things you can do:

1. If its on blades edge, stay on the opposite level of the warrior, and use prayer of healing and heal-drink (spam drink as the heal finishes, lets you drink right after the heal); if they jump down to follow you go back up the ramp, just keep switching off. We lost to the best priest/rogue on our bg this way, it was really embarassing. It requires you to be good at kiting the pet though.

2. When you are out of LOS of the druid, start a mindblast/death on the pet, and have your warrior intervene you and kill it. You should be able to kill the pet since you can cleanse freezing trap and roots - all you have to do is wait to do this until cyclone is on DR. If the pet dies, warrior gets on the hunter and you burn him to nothing - pretty much you've won if you can pull this off.

3. Eat traps, lots of them. It's amazing how much pressure warriors can put out on this comp if roots/trap are useless.

But yeah, it's a rough comp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<