#1 Molp

Molp
  • Members
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents:

Posted 27 September 2007 - 11:25 PM

With the introduction of +damage from healing, would a moonkin/resto spec be viable for 5v5? Basically a spec similar to the dreamstate PvE spec, just focused on PvP talents. You would lose a bit of healing, but gain a lot of mana regen and the ability to pop moonkin when focus fired, allowing us to cyclone and do some decent damage with the +600 or so damage we would be getting in S3 gear (I assume 1800 healing will be standard for druids then, most have 1500ish now).

I always felt the biggest downside of resto druids in 5v5 is that we cannot do much while focus fired. Yes we can pop bear and pillar dance - now what? No healing, virtually no CC. And feral charge (which is the shit in 2v2) is also not as useful in that situation. But with that spec, we could decurse, CC and put out some decent damage while having 20k armor, making us a lot less of a target. And once they go for someone else we can pop out and start healing again.

I am not sure I could give up feral charge and swiftmend in 2v2, but in 5v5 where our role is more support healing anyway I really think that could be workable in the proper team setup.

#2 Sarita

Sarita

Posted 28 September 2007 - 02:52 AM

It makes the 12/11/38 or 13/11/37 spec seem a little more sexy to me, but I still don't think I'd want to give up all the stuff in the resto tree and I certainly wouldn't want to be forced to rely on healing touch.

#3 Molp

Molp
  • Members
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents:

Posted 28 September 2007 - 06:43 AM

It is not a HT spec, its a HoT spec. Something like this: http://www.worldofwa...350031500000000

Less healing throughput but a lot of mana effiency and way more usefulness when focus fired. Plus some semi-decent damage when needed.

#4 Dag

Dag
  • Members
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Gorefiend
  • Vindication
  • Talents:

Posted 28 September 2007 - 01:48 PM

You're welcome to try healing without swiftmend.

I wouldn't though.

#5 buena

buena
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Detheroc
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Arcane

Posted 28 September 2007 - 06:11 PM

When I saw the spelldamage change, I thought "goodbye treeform, hello insect swarm"

That said, I don't think I'd go farther than 13 down balance. Trying to play while focus fired is imo almost always a mistake. You have 5 people trying to take you down, your one and only job is to not die. It's not "not doing anything," its tanking. And swiftmend, thick hide, and feral charge help you do it better.

#6 Molp

Molp
  • Members
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents:

Posted 28 September 2007 - 07:30 PM

When I saw the spelldamage change, I thought "goodbye treeform, hello insect swarm"

That said, I don't think I'd go farther than 13 down balance. Trying to play while focus fired is imo almost always a mistake. You have 5 people trying to take you down, your one and only job is to not die. It's not "not doing anything," its tanking. And swiftmend, thick hide, and feral charge help you do it better.

The only advantage the traditional spec has when focus fired is feral charge. Which I found to be not as crucial in 5v5. A balance spec, on the other hand, can cyclone, root, decourse and do some damage while being in tank form.

The question now is, how often are you focus fired. If you are not, the traditional spec obviously is superior. So if you play on a team with lots of juicy targets (mine has a priest and an affliction lock, both very juicy), the traditonal spec is probably the best choice. But if you are on a team where you are likely to be the primary target, having a more useful survival form might be helpful.

How much time do you guys spend in bear in 5v5 on average?

#7 Sarita

Sarita

Posted 29 September 2007 - 12:59 AM

The only advantage the traditional spec has when focus fired is feral charge. Which I found to be not as crucial in 5v5. A balance spec, on the other hand, can cyclone, root, decourse and do some damage while being in tank form.

The question now is, how often are you focus fired. If you are not, the traditional spec obviously is superior. So if you play on a team with lots of juicy targets (mine has a priest and an affliction lock, both very juicy), the traditonal spec is probably the best choice. But if you are on a team where you are likely to be the primary target, having a more useful survival form might be helpful.

How much time do you guys spend in bear in 5v5 on average?

Generally not that much. If I get focused by melee, sure, but even then it's usually only to feral charge away. I could see it being an interesting spec for a team that was mostly trying for nuke and then bouncing to healing if needed, but it seems like the hybrid thing hasn't really worked out for 5v5 in the past.

#8 buena

buena
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Detheroc
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Arcane

Posted 29 September 2007 - 06:26 PM

The only advantage the traditional spec has when focus fired is feral charge.

10% more armor?
A ton more HP because you are a bear instead of a boomkin?
The ability to pop frenzied regen because you are a bear instead of a boomkin?
The ability to swiftmend yourself if you get away from melee for a second?
10% less damage from crits?
1 second longer bash on a warrior?
Not having your mana exposed to burn/drain?

#9 Sarita

Sarita

Posted 29 September 2007 - 08:07 PM

10% more armor?
A ton more HP because you are a bear instead of a boomkin?
The ability to pop frenzied regen because you are a bear instead of a boomkin?
The ability to swiftmend yourself if you get away from melee for a second?
10% less damage from crits?
1 second longer bash on a warrior?
Not having your mana exposed to burn/drain?

While I agree with most of your points I'd like to say a couple things. First, the 10% less damage doesn't stack past the 25% total reduction from maxed resilience. The other one is that bash has a sub 50% chance of even working on warriors in my experience. Dodge/Parry/Resists abound.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<