#1 Zenkasai

Zenkasai
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Arathor
  • Blackout
  • Talents: Frost

Posted 13 August 2007 - 12:11 PM

Tought i might asswell start the discussion of CCing and DPSing. From what i have seen and heard from other mages there is a lot of variation possible on this and both seem to be succesfull. There are people that spend their whole game doing a sheep rotation on the enemy team and only assist on a kill and there are mages that play a lot more offensively.

I myself am one of the second type. Reasons? I feel that when if you assist in DPS you put a lot more pressure on their healers/dispellers (duh) and if you pull of a shatter combo and sheep someone right after that they often stay sheeped for a long time because the healers just noticed one of their green bars jumping down by 30%. So because you do DPS your sheeps are just much more efficient (but you sheep less, so in the end your totall polymorphing might be 75% as good as the other mage while you only spend half his time polying) and you assist in damage ofc:).

Anyway since i feel this is a very interesting subject and it are the 2 mainstream playstyles for a mage i would like to hear your guys oppinion on it.

#2 Aushin

Aushin
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Cho'gall
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Holy

Posted 13 August 2007 - 03:06 PM

Though in fives it's probably more critical, I utilize sheep often in 3's.

paladin's my main, but I also use a mage in 3's/5's.  I run with a priest so I tend to cc enemy melee pretty heavily, dpsing only when I know there's no imminent thread to my healer.  If I don't, he tends to drop fast (even though he's a 435 resil priest.

#3 Mattyo

Mattyo
  • Members

Posted 14 August 2007 - 07:49 AM

In really competitive 3s, I'd say my role is extremely demanding, because I am expected to ALWAYS have someone CCed, and be able to outdamage the rogue I play with (rog/druid/mage combo).  So here to be on the top of my game I gotta go all out 110% (55sheeps/55dps :)).

In 5s I'd say this depends a ton on your makeup.  The 5s that I played on used 3 caster DPS, 2 healers, so a lot of damage was expected to me, and I started socketing my gears accordingly.  I also did do a lot of CC.

I'd say any really good mage needs to be doing a good deal of both - CC and damage.  I know there are a lot of mages out there on warrior-centric teams, who basically spam sheep so much on every target that they get DR really quickly, and basically have nothing to do.  Good mages can micro sheeps while putting down damage, and be effective at both.

#4 Iceweaver

Iceweaver
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tortheldrin
  • Emberstorm

Posted 16 August 2007 - 04:14 AM

Have to pretty much agree with everything out there so far.
3s and 5s are much different though.

In 5s I start off sheeping and make sure someone is being chained sheeped (mage or warrior). Then start DPS.

In 3s I start DPS to get the healer busy and then start sheeping (i play with priest/warrior).
Sheeping later in the games in 3s seems more valuable because your DR will be 0 and can chain sheep away to let your warrior drop his target.
ema

#5 Haet

Haet
  • Members
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Destromath
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Fire

Posted 16 August 2007 - 06:47 AM

Zenkasai said:

I feel that when if you assist in DPS you put a lot more pressure on their healers/dispellers (duh) and if you pull of a shatter combo and sheep someone right after that they often stay sheeped for a long time because the healers just noticed one of their green bars jumping down by 30%.

that pretty much sums it up.

In most situations opening with polymorph is one of the worst things you can choose to do. Having a sheep dispelled or cleansed by a healer that had nothing better to do is bad. you wasted your first diminishing return which lasts the longest, and that healer only wasted a couple hundred mana. Even with a detect magic and a winter's chill its not an issues for the healer because he still doesnt have anything more important to do than cleanse.
f you open with a frostbolt fireblast and sig your pet on the focus target then switch to what you want to be sheeping and do so: your first 5 seconds of the match are infinitly more effective than the mage that opens with a sheep. Your sheeps are killer at this point, especially against a paladin because he is likely to dispell detect magic or winter's chill if its up, and thats IF the paladin decided it wasnt to risky to stop healing and do so. Which can also set you up for a kill, if the healer is bust cleansing when your target isn't at full, you are likely to get him in kill range for a CS/nuke session.

Also diminishing returns are INCREDIBLY important to keep in mind when using sheep to CC healers. Sheeping early to waste a trinket is a good idea, But if you are just chain sheeping a healer as soon as it wears off with no reason for him to be sheeped you are just digging your own grave. There isnt any reason to sheep a healer if you arent about to get a kill. And when you DO need the sheep, you dont want it to last 3 seconds. Obviously its different when you are talking about a priest thats mana burning, you would want to keep them sheeped if they arent being FFd.

Also sheeping druids is ftw, especially druids that are feared bc they will have to shift after the fear ends.

#6 printz0r

printz0r
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Gurubashi
  • Reckoning
  • Talents:

Posted 25 August 2007 - 05:05 PM

Every game in 5's i start off with a pollymorph on their mage (and silence if his trying to sheep), then I resheep him after the trinket then I sheep the priest/shammy and then resheep

What does this do: Assuming my other team is going to work, the mage, priest and shammy will most likeley trinket my pollymorph and it opens the opportunity for an unbreakable sheep later on after the 30 second dr (when it matters).

#7 Alef

Alef
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Vol'jin
  • Embuscade / Hinterhalt
  • Talents:

Posted 26 August 2007 - 01:59 AM

printz0r said:

Every game in 5's i start off with a pollymorph on their mage (and silence if his trying to sheep), then I resheep him after the trinket then I sheep the priest/shammy and then resheep

What does this do: Assuming my other team is going to work, the mage, priest and shammy will most likeley trinket my pollymorph and it opens the opportunity for an unbreakable sheep later on after the 30 second dr (when it matters).

It's not quite the same thing when you are playing 4 dps team or 2 heals.

#8 fingardis

fingardis
  • Members
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Korgath
  • Vengeance

Posted 26 August 2007 - 06:53 AM

It's all situational.  The more you play the better you'll understand when you should be doing what.  It's not something you can really lay down rules for, but something you need experiance and understand in order to get it right.
o_O

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<