• Humanclass_name
  • US-Firetree
  • Reckoning
  • Talents: Retribution 0/2/0/1/0/1/0
  • 2v2: 1583
  • 3v3: 2007

Posted 10 August 2007 - 06:28 AM

Now, what to cover.

Ret paladins are right now, quite weak. We do need work in the talent trees, and some of our itemization, but they aren't completely hopeless as of now.

What you do is just put out damage, assisting off the rest of the dps on your team, while keeping observant of all the debuffs in your group, and focusing on getting rid of them while getting rid of your target. Cleanse should be casted on everything except UA, obviously, and prioritize Viper stings, polymorph, frost nova, fear, and entangling roots. Depending on your team, Freedom should either go on your next best melee dps, or whoever is getting focused on your team. In rare cases I'll freedom myself, either to start kiting to stay alive, or to finish someone that's very low. Our damage isn't anything like a warriors, but can't be ignored either. SoC is very painful piercing armor and being unresistable, it's just a matter of it proccing. With Windfury, our damage can be absurd. If shit hits the fan, I start healing, it's usually ineffective without windfury, but It's definitely won me some games by throwing out 2 Holy Lights.

I don't play much 2v2, but I've played with a warrior primarily. It works ok at best. Casters can prove troublesome, especially mages and warlocks, which are very common. We usually drop Rogue or Druid teams easily, due to judgement of justice, and crazy damage against low armor. We're about even against warrior paladin teams, and almost always win against Shadowpriest Warlock teams.

Other combos I can suggest would be a rogue, for blind, repentance, kick, and deadly throw to completely lock down one player and destroy the other. Or perhaps a shadowpriest. Plenty of damage, mana regen, bop for the priest, silence, repentance, and fear for lockdowns, and the Paladin shields if it gets iffy.

For 3v3, my current combo is me, Resto shaman, and a warrior. Me and the warrior try to kill something quick, with windfury and heroism. I pass one of them freedom depending on which one is getting attacked by a rogue/warrior/ice mage, and spam cleanse to knock off sheeps and fears. Good ice mages can be extremely troublesome, and double healer teams are also a pain.

I had a very successful 5v5 in season 1. Me, two warriors, a holy priest, and resto shaman. The priest served as a great distraction, mana burned and dispelled when he wasn't being attacked, and kited otherwise. We didn't play many games at all, and didn't lose much at all, most of our losses were games we just weren't prepared for and flopped. It fell apart, 1 guy lost his computer, the other quit the game.

As it stands, I kind of depend on windfury to put out damage, unless I get a good streak of crits with Avenging Wrath up. 35 second CD on hammer of justice is a great tool to lay down the Coup de Grace on your target, 6 second stun gives plenty of time for you and your team to tear your target a new one.

That's all I can come up with right now.
Posted Image

#3 Dadirayne

Dadirayne
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Drak'Tharon
  • Emberstorm
  • Talents: Holy

Posted 10 August 2007 - 01:14 PM

I can post here.

same... just wondering, how did you get directed to this site?
same

#4 Nn

Nn
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Crushridge
  • Cyclone
  • Talents:

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:20 PM

If you plan on getting anywhere with your Paladin in 2v2, Ret is not the way to go, period. They lack the burst DPS and survivability that a Prot/Holy Paladin has, not to mention the mana efficiency is horrible for a Ret Paladin.

#5 Baconn

Baconn
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Firetree
  • Reckoning

Posted 12 August 2007 - 03:47 AM

saw these forums from the pvp forums

My 2v2 with my warrior friend got to 2046 in season 1. If we were serious about it, we would have had to do a lot of dodging and would only be able to queue against teams with rogues/hunters/druids, or the shadowpriest/warlock combo, those are typically the teams we destroyed. Any teams with mages though and we'd have to stop at the risk of losing points.
Posted Image

#6 Arashikage

Arashikage

Posted 12 August 2007 - 04:02 PM

hmm... and what about enh shaman + retro pally + warrior + disc priest and restore druid combo? hm...
those, who hunt elves.

#7 Baconn

Baconn
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Firetree
  • Reckoning

Posted 13 August 2007 - 04:59 PM

the shaman won't benefit quite as much from windfury totem, druid is a nice addition with cyclone, giving a little breathing room, but it'd be rough to keep the shaman up majority of the time unless he had around 400+ resilience.
Posted Image

#8 Nex

Nex
  • Members
  • Trollclass_name
  • EU-Moonglade
  • Reckoning / Abrechnung
  • Talents: Fire

Posted 14 August 2007 - 01:56 PM

Ret in 2v2 and 3v3 here as well, hi all.

2v2 with a 27/34 warlock works really well for me, it all comes down to tactics. The other options i see would be another good DPS class, preferraby someone who can utilize the BoP to the best effect. BoP is a rather good spell for double DPS teams, and i can't see anything but a double DPS team working since it takes about 1 minute to go OOM for a retribution paladin.
So a warlock, AP/frost mage, elemental shaman... someone who can use a BoP would be my first pick. Rogue, feral druid or warrior might work as well, i haven't had time to play around much in 2v2, the team kind of quickly went up in rating so i'll stick to it for this season and wait for the title and reward (hopefully).

3v3 I've played several different setups, and changed teams more often than i changed underwear during my summer break. The most successful s far have been triple DPS teams. Me+warlock+shadow priest and me+warlock+rogue are the two setups I've managed to climb over 2k rating with on different occations. Also been trying some with me+resto shammy and arms warr, but so far that hasn't panned out as i thought, the main trouble being how much frost mages play around against two melee classes and with only one BoF we pretty much just lost against them. Had some trouble with out shaman being a bit undergeared so it might get better in a while.

5v5=Holy, i just don't think ret is good enough.

#9 Sneet

Sneet
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Daggerspine
  • Cyclone
  • Talents:

Posted 14 August 2007 - 07:32 PM

I've got pretty superb ret gear. This season i've been rolling with the ret spec and I found frostmage to be my best 2v2 partner. I've tried moonkin, resto sham, ele sham, ms war and rogue. FM is def the best choice for 2v2.

3v3 we ran with rogue, fm, me (ret) and we got it to around 1950 before I stopped playing the 3v3.

This season in 5v5 I have a pretty terrible team, mostly because their just friends.

Last season however we got our 5v5 to about 2100 at one point with me being ret. We ran MS warrior, Resto sham, Holy Priest, Mut Rog, Ret pal (myself). It worked pretty well but overall we always knew we'd do better if I was just holy.

I wish I could say I got my drake and Gladiator title from being ret, but unfortunately I was holy. Ret atm is too weak in arenas and when you go up against good teams that mostly run a priest, they'll FF you since you have very low resil then mass dispel your bubble.

Also someone mentioned an enhancement shaman in 5v5? Lol, GG not possible. They get killed quicker than any other class i've seen.

#10 Kasarin

Kasarin
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Llane
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Holy

Posted 15 August 2007 - 03:37 AM

Also someone mentioned an enhancement shaman in 5v5? Lol, GG not possible. They get killed quicker than any other class i've seen.

Check my 5v5, we roll with one enchancement shammy, all melee dps ftw as well, thats how we do 2103 rating 108-39 (73% wins). We usually get 10-15 games a week max with a roster of 7. Mind you we didnt get the shammy till late season 1 and ended ~2200.

#11 Sneet

Sneet
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Daggerspine
  • Cyclone
  • Talents:

Posted 15 August 2007 - 08:54 AM

Check my 5v5, we roll with one enchancement shammy, all melee dps ftw as well, thats how we do 2103 rating 108-39 (73% wins). We usually get 10-15 games a week max with a roster of 7. Mind you we didnt get the shammy till late season 1 and ended ~2200.

Well I stand corrected. Personally i've never ran across one that was a threat to any of our teams, but I guess 90% of the good players would say the same about ret.

Good for that shaman, thats awesome.

#12 Baconn

Baconn
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Firetree
  • Reckoning

Posted 15 August 2007 - 09:37 AM

Enhance shamans are great because they have the ability to focus completely on interrupting heals and purging targets without worrying about healing. However, they die very easily, and often get focused first because of the buffs they pass out, and without a shield, they're very easily killed, so a shaman needs a fair amount of resilience, and be quick to switch to a shield against heavy melee teams if needed.
Posted Image

#13 Zexyl

Zexyl
  • Members
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Dragonmaw
  • Reckoning
  • Talents: Frost

Posted 15 August 2007 - 11:17 AM

Haha, I always wondered how a 4 melee dps team would do :o
Nerf Warlocks :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<