• Curse Sites
Help

Racial Abilities, should they be taken out?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
53 replies to this topic

Poll: Should racial abilities be usable in arenas? (292 member(s) have cast votes)

Should racial abilities be usable in arenas?

1. yes (76 votes [42.94%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.94%

2. no (101 votes [57.06%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 57.06%

Vote

#21 Duljan

Duljan
  • Members
  • Trollclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents:

Posted 23 September 2007 - 10:15 AM

Grup said:

I actually think my racials as an orc shaman are pretty bad.  I never use blood fury because it just is like mortal striking myself for even longer, and stun resist is pretty much only very useful to me against rogues, but other classes have their own stun resist talents while shaman do not (meaning a priest has just as much stun resist as an orc shaman).

At the same time, why change it?  It's interesting.  Shaman aren't very good in 2v2, so can I be given another 70 for free because I chose my class before arena?  Honestly WoW PvP isn't about true fairness.  It never will be.  That's what gives it flavor.

How much do you wanna bet that 99% of the people that voted "No" are undead?

#22 Escabar

Escabar
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Mug'thol
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Destruction

Posted 25 September 2007 - 02:46 AM

lol if u think undead is the best racial for arena u got issues....

Dwarf or Gnome FTW....

id take either of those racials over Undead any day....lol AT WOTF, l2 dispel fear vs. trinket it.

racials add a bit of a different impact to arena. however i think MAYBE when you create a charter/join a charter for the first time. you PICK which racial you want to use for arena.....(so u can potentionally have 4 different racials)

1 for world pvp/bgs/raids
then 3 more 1 for each of the respective PvP brackets.
Posted Image

#23 Xasha

Xasha
  • Members
  • Trollclass_name
  • US-Shadowsong
  • Reckoning
  • Talents:

Posted 25 September 2007 - 02:55 AM

Kank said:

Xasha said:

Should every class be nerfed so that any class has a 50/50 chance of beating them given equally skilled players?

That's not the question, the question here is leveling the playing field among different races of the same class.

It is the same question.  There should either be diversity, where certain match-ups have an advantage, or everything is even and it's always a 50/50 chance.  If you think have rock-paper-scissors is fine for classes, then it's no different for races.
Also playing: Hotnurse, Resto Druid

#24 Syntaxhia

Syntaxhia
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Steamwheedle Cartel
  • Glutsturm / Emberstorm
  • Talents:

Posted 30 September 2007 - 12:22 AM

either take em out or give nightelves something more usefull than 40% movement speed while spectating

#25 Tarusmash

Tarusmash
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Emeriss
  • Reckoning / Abrechnung
  • Talents: Protection

Posted 30 September 2007 - 12:53 AM

As stated most people chose their current race before arena rolled around, why not make racial like talents? You can spec whatever you want out of the available list :)

That would be nice and fair, and ofc a respec cost ( similar system to talents in that it rises and caps @ 50g so people cant just respec to cheese the current queue lineup ).

#26 Domoni

Domoni
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Frost

Posted 30 September 2007 - 01:40 AM

I think if racials were unusable in arena, arena's would be more balanced.  We all know that horde have superior racials XD

#27 Pirated

Pirated
  • Members
  • Trollclass_name
  • US-Burning Blade
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Enhancement

Posted 30 September 2007 - 02:35 AM

There should be as few variables as possible in arena. Class is the only variable I agree with.

No racials IMO. I'd also give everyone in arena full PvP gear, but I doubt most of you agree with that.
"We all know that horde have superior racials"
Oh, is that why every WSVG team picked alliance? I was all confused...

Warstomp, WOTF, silence, and stun resistance are great and all, but they really don't touch stoneform, fearward, and escape artist.

#28 Earrl

Earrl
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Black Dragonflight
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Blood

Posted 30 September 2007 - 03:21 AM

Pirated said:

There should be as few variables as possible in arena. Class is the only variable I agree with.

No racials IMO. I'd also give everyone in arena full PvP gear, but I doubt most of you agree with that.
"We all know that horde have superior racials"
Oh, is that why every WSVG team picked alliance? I was all confused...

Warstomp, WOTF, silence, and stun resistance are great and all, but they really don't touch stoneform, fearward, and escape artist.

Everybody is jealous of Dwarf Priests.
Diamonds are forever...

#29 Ariet

Ariet
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Archimonde
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Destruction

Posted 30 September 2007 - 05:17 AM

Earrl said:

Everybody is jealous of Dwarf Priests.

Soon to be changed in patch 2.3 -.-
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.

Douglas Adams

#30 TurranMC

TurranMC
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Ner'zhul
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents:
  • RBG: 766

Posted 30 September 2007 - 05:25 AM

Pretty much the only people who think racials are fine are the people with good ones. I've been playing since release and I'd LOVE Stoneform. Its so insanely good against Rogue poisons and Hunters as well.

Thing is, I don't think anyone really likes the class imbalance issues but thats how the game always will be. Because classes are different in the highest level of play one class will always be better the another class in certain situations. There is no way around this besides making all classes equal, which would be boring. We don't need racials to further this, it just makes the game more rock/scissors/paper and takes the fun out of it. Taking out racials would make it far more balanced and more enjoyable.
Respect & Honor

#31 buena

buena
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Detheroc
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Arcane

Posted 30 September 2007 - 06:34 AM

I've always thought that diversity of abilities is good, and that you shouldn't balance by means of homogeniety.  I didn't want horde to get paladins for example, although I admit it worked out well with arena.

On the other hand, I play a troll priest.  It was my first character and I thought a tusky voodoo priest had charisma.

On that note, nerf racials.

#32 Ven

Ven
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Korgath
  • Vengeance
  • Talents:

Posted 29 October 2007 - 10:54 PM

certain racials always have been overpowered for PvP, and you can't do anything about it unless you (or your partner(s)) reroll or if you (or your partner(s)) find someone to replace the guy with the bad race.

so yea, dump them, although i don't think they're THAT game-breaking (save for 2s probably)

oh also, please don't try to say WoTF isn't amazing.  saw someone post that early.  it is amazing.  ask any non-undead warlock or priest.

#33 leogeo2

leogeo2
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Malorne
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Discipline 0/0/0/1/2/1
  • 2v2: 1453
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 30 October 2007 - 12:47 AM

I couldn't tell you many times I've had moments where Warstomp caused us to lose a game or how we could have won if I've been able to get that clutch fear to last on a UD Rogue. >.>

I don't think racials should be used in arenas. It causes terrible imbalances, and it has been causing imbalances since arenas have been introduced.

But I do wonder, what about Priest racials? Should those be cut themselves out of this as well?
Leanelda - Disc Priest - Grand Marshal, Conqueror

#34 rot

rot
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Mannoroth
  • Ruin
  • Talents:

Posted 30 October 2007 - 03:08 PM

I voted no, but then again, I'm an overpowered undead with wotf.

#35 aladinn

aladinn
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Gorgonnash
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Arms

Posted 30 October 2007 - 03:28 PM

Many of us chose our races before we either cared about PvP and/or knew enough about the game to make an informed choice.  While people may say "lol too bad!" or "noob should've picked the right race" the fact of the matter is that you can change almost any bad decision in WoW, with the exception of racials.  Pick some crappy talents? Respec!  Choose the wrong quest reward?  A GM can help!  

And racials like WotF, Escape Artist, Stoneform, Hardiness, and Warstomp are just lightyears better than such gems as wisp form, berzerking, shadowmeld, etc.

They've balanced many abilities because of arena fairness.  Lowering durations on PvP versions of spells (think Tongues, any CC) was done to balance arenas.  Hell, they're completely revamping Priest racials for "balancing's" sake.  Why couldn't the same be done for racials?

#36 Critickle

Critickle
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Korgath
  • Vengeance
  • Talents:

Posted 30 October 2007 - 07:08 PM

Blizz'z view on racials is "if you really cared, you'd spend 25 days played of your life relvling and gearing the race you want"

I also assume they're hesitant to take racials out, since a few people rerolled just for racials. And also that people rolled for racials, who would rather be a different race.

Racials are not fair, but it's not a big deal to them atm. (dwarves will still be op due to stoneform, UD priests will be even more op, etc)

#37 kyoshi

kyoshi
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Azuremyst
  • Retaliation
  • Talents:

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:08 PM

i as a human warlock love perception...would i trade it for ANYTHING else? damn right...

#38 Ainbar

Ainbar
  • Members
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • US-Stormscale
  • Cyclone
  • Talents: Restoration

Posted 30 October 2007 - 09:22 PM

I think they could do a much better job of balancing the racials, no need to remove them though.

#39 Duraeas

Duraeas
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Mug'thol
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Holy

Posted 30 October 2007 - 09:39 PM

The fact is that the people voting yes are; Dwarf Priests, Gnome Warriors, etc.

The people who voted no are; Troll Priests, Draenei Warriors, etc.

The fact of the matter is that you picked your race when you rolled your toon, just as you picked the class. It's like saying "should class abilities be usable in arenas". If you picked a class with a shitty racial for that class, that sucks. It's likely you're amongst one of the 2180323091 people who rolled NE Rogues because they thought they were the coolest race.

My other Paladin is a Dwarf. Stoneform sucks for a Paladin compared to Perception, but I don't think it's fair to stop everyone from using their racials.

Edit: The change to Blind makes Stoneform extremely weak.

#40 Kamikazeoi

Kamikazeoi

Posted 30 October 2007 - 09:41 PM

This is interesting as we were just having this discussion in guild last night.

Personally I don't find it fair that certain races have advantages in arena such as undead's will of forsaken or blood elve's silence or human's perception, ect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<