#1 morimacil

morimacil
  • Members
  • Goblinclass_name
  • EU-Stormreaver
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Fury

Posted 06 June 2009 - 01:34 PM

well everyone seems to agree that getting hitrating is pretty important.
but it seems like every class has at lest 4% passive dodge, and some have more, and parry/block.
but I rarely see anyone wearing expertise, or gemming for it.
considering the fact that most players would gem for hit if there was no other way to get to the hit-cap, i find it strange that noone gems for expertise while under the soft cap.

now I understand that hitting from behind or a stunned person will remove the need for expertise.
so do you manage to use all of your important abilities from behind, or while your target is in a stun?
would it not still be worth it to get more expertixe, at least for some classes?
Posted Image

#2 Speedo

Speedo
  • Members
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Ragnaros
  • Vindication
  • Talents:

Posted 06 June 2009 - 01:58 PM

It takes ALOT of expertise to stop being dodged/parried (my dk has 11% base parry) so most people grab what expertise they can from talents and or pve gear and just mostly try to do specials from behind.

going all out expertise would gimp your damage more than its worth
Playing HoN now

#3 morimacil

morimacil
  • Members
  • Goblinclass_name
  • EU-Stormreaver
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Fury

Posted 06 June 2009 - 04:41 PM

Well true, going all out expertise would probably gimp you a lot, and you still would not be able to get capped against some classes, especially those that have 30% passive dodge and such.
but gimping the damage? well your burst would be lower, but I am pretty sure that the overall pressure would be higher.
after all, in PVE, capping expertise is one of the best damage options for all classes affected by it.
obviously, after around 5%, it would not be as good, as against some classes, you would already be capped.

But I was thinking, against classes with armor and a shield, it could prove to be a bigger increase in damage than armor penetration would.
against stuff like holy paladins, shammies, warriors and rets that use a shield, 5% expertise would be a 15% damage increase when hitting from the front.
against rogues and DK, rets and wars without a shield, it would be 10% more dmg.
and against everything else 5%

so even though against some classes, you wouldnt want to or be able to get capped, when fighting toe to toe with a ret, DK, warrior or rogue, 5% expertise would be possible with gems, and would make 10% of your attacks actually land instead or being parried or dodged.
that would be quite a big increase in pressure imho, and probably much higher than what you would get from armor penetration or strength against those classes.

8.2 expertise rating is 1 expertise. That means that one expertise gem is nearly 0.5 % chance to hit more, up to 1.5% chance to hit against some classes.

I currently have 80 ARP from gems, getting me 6.5% penetration.
regemming to expertise, I would lose that arp, but gain nearly the same amount of expertise %.
and since my main reason for gemming expertise is troubles with DK and paladins, im thinking that 11% more damage against them from 5% expertise would prove to be a bigger damage increase than the 6.5% ARP
Posted Image

#4 Scarra

Scarra
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Arthas
  • Ruin
  • Talents:

Posted 06 June 2009 - 05:29 PM

Note you can't dodge or parry while stunned or casting spells

also you really shouldn't be gemming ARP anyways

0 user(s) are reading this topic