Craton
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Hyjal
  • Whirlwind
  • Talents:

Posted 09 May 2009 - 03:58 AM

EchoPort

I know mods like QH can show exact distance in yards to a point.  Is there a mod that can do this for your teleport?

So if I'm 32 yards away it shows 32 yards.  Ideally with green/yellow/red coloring, but I'd settle for just the number.

화이팅

#2 Kjado

Kjado
  • Members
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Bleeding Hollow
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Destruction

Posted 09 May 2009 - 06:37 AM

This is possible, but unfortunately at the moment it won't work for anywhere you would actually need the information (arenas/battlegrounds), because you are unable to retrieve your map position inside of instances.

If I'm wrong and there actually is a current implementation of this, I'd like to see it!

#3 Daganj

Daganj
  • Junkies
  • Goblinclass_name
  • US-Illidan
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Demonology

Posted 09 May 2009 - 07:30 AM

Power auras can show you if your teleport is available via the buff the summoning circle gives you or from distance.

#4 synonix

synonix
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents:

Posted 09 May 2009 - 07:09 PM

I want a little green floating arrow like Crazy Taxi that points towards my portal and indicates range and cooldown. Someone do this ASAP please

#5 Kman

Kman
  • Members

Posted 10 May 2009 - 05:59 AM

synonix said:

I want a little green floating arrow like Crazy Taxi that points towards my portal and indicates range and cooldown. Someone do this ASAP please

Hey I remember you.  I was q'ing 2v2 Skirs and I ran into you with a resto shaman?

My warlock is Gammarz, i got q'd with a newb pally that you 2 shotted, but then I won anyways :P.

#6 Cahzriel

Cahzriel
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Frostwolf
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Protection 0/1/1/1/0/0
  • RBG: 192

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:46 AM

Kman said:

Hey I remember you.  I was q'ing 2v2 Skirs and I ran into you with a resto shaman?

My warlock is Gammarz, i got q'd with a newb pally that you 2 shotted, but then I won anyways :P.

hey cool story
Posted Image

#7 nawty

nawty
  • Junkies
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Elemental 2/1/0/0/1/2
  • RBG: 768

Posted 10 May 2009 - 08:12 AM

you just brought up skirmish?

#8 Kjado

Kjado
  • Members
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Bleeding Hollow
  • Ruin

Posted 10 May 2009 - 10:56 AM

Back on topic, if people are still interested in this, I managed to get a rough working version of this up and running.  It's very hackish due to the fact that something like this shouldn't even be possible, so there could very well be a handful of limitations... though testing so far has been good.  There are a few fixes I need to make before I'd be ready to openly test it, so I'll get to those later today after I've slept for a bit.

#9 Alysana

Alysana
  • Junkies

Posted 10 May 2009 - 11:44 AM

Sounds pretty hot if you can make it work properly.

#10 Craton

Craton
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Hyjal
  • Whirlwind
  • Talents:

Posted 10 May 2009 - 04:08 PM

Kilaganj said:

Power auras can show you if your teleport is available via the buff the summoning circle gives you or from distance.

I want to see exactly how far away I am, not if I can use it or not.

It's infinitely more useful that way because you can port at like 39 yards when you're kiting a melee (or whatever reason).
화이팅

#11 Filovirus

Filovirus
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: ./././././.
  • RBG: 2795

Posted 10 May 2009 - 06:09 PM

nawty said:

you just brought up skirmish?

this guy seems smart

#12 Craton

Craton
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Hyjal
  • Whirlwind
  • Talents:

Posted 10 May 2009 - 06:40 PM

Stop derailing my thread jerks
화이팅

#13 Kjado

Kjado
  • Members
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Bleeding Hollow
  • Ruin

Posted 10 May 2009 - 08:48 PM

Proof-of-concept version is up:
http://www.wowinterf...0-EchoPort.html

Like the description says, please read all of it before using it.  It's relatively simple to use, however due to the workarounds required to determine distance inside of instances, there are some potentially major caveats that both you and your party/raid members should be aware of beforehand, namely:

• No one other than you can ping the minimap.  If someone else in your party/raid does and you have an active Demonic Circle, you will need to resummon to correct the distance.
  • Your client will be sending a lot of minimap pings.  If you have game sounds enabled and turned up, I'm sure this could get quite annoying (same goes for your party/raid members).  You could just play with lowered in-game sound (the ping sound is actually pretty faint compared to the rest of the game), but I will search for a way to disable the sound if possible.
  • Because of the first two, the addon should probably only be used in arenas, small pre-made battlegrounds (WSG), and solo.

Pinging the minimap has opened up a small window for a simple form of echolocation.  Ideally I would like to find a way to block external minimap pings and simulate pings without actually sending them to the party/raid, though at this point I'm not sure if either of those is even possible.

I have tested this in a number of places on the world map, and in a couple instances, but have not had the chance to test within arenas yet.  If anyone experiences any major problems, please let me know what happened and where you were in the game at the time.

#14 Craton

Craton
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Hyjal
  • Whirlwind
  • Talents:

Posted 11 May 2009 - 12:25 AM

Hmm, now to also have an arrow that would show which direction you'd face after porting.

:D
화이팅

#15 Kjado

Kjado
  • Members
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Bleeding Hollow
  • Ruin

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:00 AM

I've already received a PM with an error report, so I did some testing and I wanted to share the results.

I completely forgot about the interface option for it, but if you have your minimap set to rotate (instead of your player icon), the addon is useless.  With a rotating minimap, each ping would trail the player, thus infinitely increasing the supposed distance to the portal.

All in all I'm not sure how much it matters, though it will probably vary from person to person.  If you absolutely need a rotating minimap, then unfortunately my addon will be incompatible with it until a better method is found.

As for the portal facing arrow, it would be easy to do, but harder to find a good way of presenting it without adding any confusion to the display.  I'll play with some ideas.

Questions/comments/suggestions are always appreciated!

#16 Rime

Rime
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Korgath
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Blood

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:51 AM

fucking awesome! I'm stoked about this Kjado keep up the great work. the ping sound spam may be a little much but I have faith you can figure some sort of workaround. thanks can't wait to try it.

#17 Tya

Tya
  • Junkies
  • Curse Premium

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:27 AM

Delete the ping sound file from your WoW directory. No clue what it's called but someone else might.
<Memorable quote>

#18 Craton

Craton
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Hyjal
  • Whirlwind
  • Talents:

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:58 AM

I can't even hear the thing.

I'd love a confirmation message when you toggle EP on or off.
화이팅

#19 Kjado

Kjado
  • Members
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Bleeding Hollow
  • Ruin

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:32 PM

I have uploaded version 0.2 of EchoPort to WoWInterface, so please update to that version if you are using it.

New developments: (!)
  • No more frequent pinging - I suppose it was probably my rush in trying to find a solution, but the first implementation was messy and intrusive with all of the pinging.  Turns out I don't really need to do it more than once, so there is only a single minimap ping when you first summon your portal.
  • Party/raid members are free to ping the map now, as pings registered while you are tracking your portal will no longer interfere with the accuracy of the distance.
  • Update code for the distance has been shifted and is now smoother and possibly more accurate (though if you consistently try porting at exactly 39 yards you may be disappointed every so often).
  • On-screen notification when EchoPort is enabled.

As always, please let me know how your experiences with it are, and if there is anything that needs fixed.

#20 Craton

Craton
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Hyjal
  • Whirlwind
  • Talents:

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:09 PM

Gosh such a cutie.

Are there other functions available, such as locking the arrow?

If not, I'd recommend that, plus a gradient on the arrow (option for either green->red based on distance (like the text does) or based on your facing based on its placement (green you're facing it, red it's behind you).

It's definitely a lot better/smoother with the latest update.  I don't suppose having the range account for vertical differences is at all possible?
화이팅

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<