#101 Rhinoceros

Rhinoceros
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Shadow

Posted 09 May 2009 - 03:01 AM

Has nothing to do with jumping. Just running (no backpedaling).

What do you mean there are 3 more ranks? I get this from the trainer?

#102 Kluian

Kluian
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Blackrock
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Affliction

Posted 09 May 2009 - 03:02 AM

Terreo I don't know why but I laugh hysterically every time I read your sig.

#103 Melliah

Melliah
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Cenarius
  • Whirlwind
  • Talents:
  • RBG: 2302

Posted 09 May 2009 - 03:08 AM

Has nothing to do with jumping. Just running (no backpedaling).

i dunno about that for example, you notice when a mage runs in to frost nova and jumps from mid field and hits people standing half the map apart, i imagine fear works the same way surely?

If this shitbag Beastcleave comp wins again I'm going to drive a bus full of nuns into a school for retarded children and blow it up.

sadly, this wouldnt even be overreacting

you arent obeying the rules, the rules clearly state
A. Never get big and/or Stay Small (AT ALL TIMES)
B. Stay 2nd
and you're doing neither, you're getting big and staying like 20th, the police will be after you, and when they find you, don't run

#104 Rhinoceros

Rhinoceros
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 09 May 2009 - 03:14 AM

i dunno about that for example, you notice when a mage runs in to frost nova and jumps from mid field and hits people standing half the map apart, i imagine fear works the same way surely?

The game adds an extra 2-2.5 yards to the range when a player is running. You can be running away from the person, and still get this extra range; it doesn't matter. Jumping showed no signs of amplifying this effect.

#105 virtua

virtua
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Arthas
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Elemental ./././././.
  • RBG: 1986

Posted 09 May 2009 - 05:02 AM

thanks qt terreo for breaking it down to these new pvp players, since the dawn of time, whether it be sprint, fear, charge, intercept or anything above normal movment speed increase will cause server->client side lag and allow the bending of time.

btw terreo i got banned from gameriot for that first, you better cherish it!

#106 Penguinsa

Penguinsa
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Demon Soul
  • Nightfall

Posted 09 May 2009 - 08:40 AM

Target dummies were a good idea, I also tested and not only does it work but its very easy to replicate and practical.

It seems that for any aoe spell there is an additional 4 yards behind you at regular runspeed where targets get hit. I also noticed that if you are slowed or strafing heavily it doesn't work, and rocket boots didn't seem to expand the range I actually missed occasionally when I rocket booted.

• Junkies
  • Trollclass_name
  • US-Undermine
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Discipline 2/1/1/0/1/0/0
  • 2v2: 1369
  • 3v3: 1584
  • RBG: 384

Posted 09 May 2009 - 01:25 PM

I just tried "running" at the dummies and it didn't work.

#108 Rhinoceros

Rhinoceros
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 09 May 2009 - 02:22 PM

Actually direction appears to matter. You can't extend the range in the direction you are moving at all. Jumping still doesn't matter as far as I can tell.

http://files.filefro...;/fileinfo.html

#109 Lilyi

Lilyi
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Discipline 0/0/1/0/1/2
  • RBG: 1136

Posted 09 May 2009 - 04:03 PM

"Fear spreading" is probably just a side-effect of how your client communicates with the server, and the way you move affects how reliably you can do it. Note: any assumptions are based upon my personal observations from playing the game - I didn't reverse engineer Blizzard's net code or anything.

Why "fear spreading" happens:
When you move, your client doesn't spam the server with position update packets every .001 seconds so that you move perfectly fluidly on the server. To reduce bandwidth consumption and ease server load, you only update when certain events occur, and then on a regular "heartbeat" interval (around 0.3-0.5 seconds, it seems) if no events force an earlier position update.

Some events that cause your client to send a position update to the server: Start movement, Stop movement, Change direction (i.e. pressing or releasing your strafe key, holding rightclick and moving your mouse).

Some events that DO NOT force an update, but just use the regular "heartbeat" interval: Jumping (you can't change directions midair, so the server doesn't need to know what you're doing in the air), Continuing movement in a straight line

What this means is that as long as you move in a straight line and don't change directions, you can abuse the way the net code works to essentially be in two places at once (on the server and on your client) over a very short time interval.

Other related results:
If someone is chasing you, holding right click and gently shaking your mouse will force more position updates and make them less likely to catch you because you aren't "lagging behind" on the server - the opposite of the "fear spreading" effect. This is also what causes you to be able to run through a mob without getting hit (jump right before you get in melee range, or just make sure you don't change directions). It can also make you have trouble landing a melee swing when you run through another player or NPC.

Easy test
: use a rogue, aggro a melee NPC, start mashing gouge as you run toward it in a straight line. You're very likely to run through the NPC without the attack landing, or at the very least to be struck by the NPC's melee attack before your gouge. Now, do the same thing but hold right click and shake your mouse left/right a little as you run toward the mob. You'll almost always gouge the NPC without taking a single melee hit.

This is the type of bug that is very unlikely to ever be fixed, for technical reasons. If you find this type of thing interesting, you should check out addons like Instant Health (http://wow.curse.com...oject-6450.aspx) and Quick Health. The server and your client only update health values every ~0.3 seconds, so with an addon you can get health bar updates faster than the server processes them and sends them to you. Unfortunately both addon authors no longer develop their respective projects. :( I think there's still a working version of QuickHealth, and theres an EJ thread with more info here: http://elitistjerks....health_updates/

• Junkies
  • Trollclass_name
  • US-Undermine
  • Nightfall

Posted 09 May 2009 - 05:22 PM

this is amazing for breaking rogues out of stealth lol

#111 virtua

virtua
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Arthas
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Elemental ./././././.
  • RBG: 1986

Posted 09 May 2009 - 10:48 PM

you should have noticed this stuff from previous pvp videos

• Junkies
  • Trollclass_name
  • US-Undermine
  • Nightfall

Posted 10 May 2009 - 02:00 AM

yea probably

only priest videos I've ever watched were hydra's and a few spriests. PvP videos are mostly boring to watch from a Priest's perspective, at least compared to Rogue or Mage.

#113 Osi

Osi
  • Junkies
  • Worgenclass_name
  • US-Magtheridon
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Holy

Posted 10 May 2009 - 06:42 AM

You can cast pain suppression while sapped or gouged. Not sure if this is a bug but I started noticing it after I got the glyph then reglyphed out of it.
S1: WTF, this cheater is hiding behind the pillars!
S2: Haha, this noob isn't using pillars.
S3: Screw pillars, let's wintrade!
S4: What pillars? I'm a Tauren.
S5: What the hell is this hidden rating?
S6: Lol, brb 3k!
S7: Prot Warrios are hard BRO.
S8: Tie for Rank1? Sure

• Junkies
  • Trollclass_name
  • US-Undermine
  • Nightfall

Posted 10 May 2009 - 06:54 AM

You can cast pain suppression while sapped or gouged. Not sure if this is a bug but I started noticing it after I got the glyph then reglyphed out of it.

i noticed this too

was doing 2s and we had the worst opener imaginable against mage/rogue so I was spamming pain sup on my rogue while sapped and it went off lol.

basically it's similar to the bug from s3 where you could use it while silenced, i guess

#115 Prov

Prov
  • Members
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Scilla
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents:

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:45 AM

i was unable to do it while sapped two days ago, perhaps this is forever reason inconsistent? Or I'm tripping balls?

#116 Kunuxx

Kunuxx
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Ravencrest
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Discipline 0/2/0/1/2/.
  • LocationFinland, OULU

Posted 10 May 2009 - 10:04 AM

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH BRO

#117 Osi

Osi
  • Junkies
  • Worgenclass_name
  • US-Magtheridon
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Holy

Posted 11 May 2009 - 12:23 AM

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH BRO

Oops! ><
S1: WTF, this cheater is hiding behind the pillars!
S2: Haha, this noob isn't using pillars.
S3: Screw pillars, let's wintrade!
S4: What pillars? I'm a Tauren.
S5: What the hell is this hidden rating?
S6: Lol, brb 3k!
S7: Prot Warrios are hard BRO.
S8: Tie for Rank1? Sure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<