Photo

Yur's 3.1 spec, no fancy name.

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 Yur

Yur

Posted 19 March 2009 - 04:56 PM

http://talent.mmo-ch...03&version=9704

This is a spec based on the new changes on the PTR and would be what I would be testing IF this went live today.

Reasoning for going frost instead of blood: You lose 3% crit on your scourge strike, 4% weapon damage, and about 400~ ap, but gain 10% overall shadow damage (frost too, but that's kind of negligible), 10 yards on your CoI/IT, and lichborne, our best single-point investment talent. I would mention the 30 rp, but you can get that as practically any spec now.

Frost talents: Self-explanatory, cookie cutter talents that shouldn't need reasoning IF you are going to spec into frost. *Edit* Endless winter is actually more appealing, thanks to dunsparrow. CoI could be used as a replacement for IT for FF/EPB. Also, Imp IT is worthless if you're going to use, so once again thanks to dunsparrow, points in toughness as 1st tier fillers rather than Imp IT.

Unholy: Everything cookie cutter is taken: VS, Virulence, whole 2nd tier, outbreak, MoG, impurity, reaping, desecration, UA, NotD, CF/EPB, bone shield, scourge strike, and gargoyle.

Talents that can be changed depending on personal preference and/or changed due to additional feedback: CE, AMS/AMZ, OapH, WP, RoR. I put one point WP to botch up holy lights into drinking (And/or any other form of heal/drinking.)

To me, points in RoR aren't better than a 4 point AMZ, which is another great pvp talent that has been overlooked because of the 6 point dump; however, now that it's only 4 point, BS being nerfed, and our defensive cooldowns being nerfed more and more as patches come, I think we should STRONGLY consider having an AMZ, especially with the re-emergence of shadowpriests in 2v2.

As for OapH, CE, and RoR, it's all personal preference: OapH I love, some people don't, CE is amazing, but people don't like using it, and RoR, to me, just isn't that good.

Glyphs: Dark Death, Ghoul, SS: There is nothing better on the PTR than SS glyph, so for now it's a "place holder" until blizzard can give us a 3rd viable one. No, PS glyph is NOT better than SS glyph. This isn't shadowfrost, or is it. . . :)

Minor Glyphs: Raise dead, pestilence, and I get death's embrace to help heal my pet on occasion, especially against mirror matches.

A note for all of the DK Fanbois: Serennia made shadowfrost famous, it didn't make him famous. He's one of the most widely-known WoW players, and although he's a terrible player and a douchebag, he is one of the game's best theory crafters and you HAVE to give him that.

Name: Who cares about the name, grow up nerds. Shadowfrost.

Edit 1: Spec and Notes updated, thanks to dunsparrow.

#2 Kane49

Kane49
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • EU-Zirkel des Cenarius
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Marksmanship

Posted 19 March 2009 - 04:58 PM

0/16/55 Bloodless Lichborne Specc of the Gargoyle

already has a flashy name.
SEASON 5 PALADIN DEATHKNIGHT HERO

#3 StÖmp1296679484

StÖmp1296679484

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:07 PM

http://talent.mmo-ch...03&version=9704

This is a spec based on the new changes on the PTR and would be what I would be testing IF this went live today.

Reasoning for going frost instead of blood: You lose 2% crit on your scourge strike, 4% weapon damage, and about 400~ ap, but gain 10% overall shadow damage (frost too, but that's kind of negligible), 10 yards on your CoI/IT, and lichborne, our best single-point investment talent. I would mention the 30 rp, but you can get that as practically any spec now.

Although unholy/blood is going to be good, getting everything that you need in frost only cost 16 points. Endless winter is not a necessity, never has been, and never will be for anyone decent.

Frost talents: Self-explanatory, cookie cutter talents that shouldn't need reasoning IF you are going to spec into frost.

Unholy: Everything cookie cutter is taken: VS, Virulence, whole 2nd tier, outbreak, MoG, impurity, reaping, desecration, UA, NotD, CF/EPB, bone shield, scourge strike, and gargoyle.

Talents that can be changed depending on personal preference and/or changed due to additional feedback: CE, AMS/AMZ, OapH, WP, RoR. I put one point WP to botch up holy lights into drinking (And/or any other form of heal/drinking.)

To me, points in RoR aren't better than a 4 point AMZ, which is another great pvp talent that has been overlooked because of the 6 point dump; however, now that it's only 4 point, BS being nerfed, and our defensive cooldowns being nerfed more and more as patches come, I think we should STRONGLY consider having an AMZ, especially with the re-emergence of shadowpriests in 2v2.

As for OapH, CE, and RoR, it's all personal preference: OapH I love, some people don't, CE is amazing, but people don't like using it, and RoR, to me, just isn't that good.

Glyphs: Dark Death, Ghoul, SS: There is nothing better on the PTR than SS glyph, so for now it's a "place holder" until blizzard can give us a 3rd viable one. No, PS glyph is NOT better than SS glyph. This isn't shadowfrost, or is it. . . :)

Minor Glyphs: Raise dead, pestilence, and I get death's embrace to help heal my pet on occasion, especially against mirror matches.

A note for all of the DK Fanbois: Serennia made shadowfrost famous, it didn't make him famous. He's one of the most widely-known WoW players, and although he's a terrible player and a douchebag, he is one of the game's best theory crafters and you HAVE to give him that.

Name: Who cares about the name, grow up nerds. Shadowfrost.

I like it but why would you get imp AMS/AMZ now that AMZ costs 1U rune again? That spec seems to be more focused on survivability than actual damage output; are you going to be running alot of PvE gear to offset the damage losses? (RoR)

Why not go deeper into EW, then max out RoR as DKs we'll need all the damage we can get: Healers are only getting stronger.

Is unholy aura worth the 2 points now that Desecration wont be suckass and IT spam wont be sucking up all our Frost runes for Chains as a gap closer (I realize we lose BB snare though)?

Is Corpse Explosion worth it with the new pet cooldowns + I heard it had like a 1 Yard range and was only possible w/ a full dura gnaw (I can definitely see the usefulness w/ the burst, but subtract a deathcoils average damage to see the damage gained (is it off your GCD as well?)

#4 Yur

Yur

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:18 PM

I like it but why would you get imp AMS/AMZ now that AMZ costs 1U rune again? That spec seems to be more focused on survivability than actual damage output; are you going to be running alot of PvE gear to offset the damage losses? (RoR)

Why not go deeper into EW, then max out RoR as DKs we'll need all the damage we can get: Healers are only getting stronger.

Is unholy aura worth the 2 points now that Desecration wont be suckass and IT spam wont be sucking up all our Frost runes for Chains as a gap closer (I realize we lose BB snare though)?

Is Corpse Explosion worth it with the new pet cooldowns + I heard it had like a 1 Yard range and was only possible w/ a full dura gnaw (I can definitely see the usefulness w/ the burst, but subtract a deathcoils average damage to see the damage gained (is it off your GCD as well?)

Of course It's focused on surviving, not everything has in this game is about how much damage you can do.

You don't need endless winter and I said I don't like RoR: point for point, there are better investments.

Unholy aura is worth it, especially in any bracket past 2v2.

Your last question is really dumb, I refuse to respond.

#5 Dunsparrow

Dunsparrow
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Andorhal
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Holy

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:19 PM

I dont understand Unholy builds which pick up Icy Touch talents. Drop Imp. IT and a point from RoR to get EW.

#6 Yur

Yur

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:23 PM

I dont understand Unholy builds which pick up Icy Touch talents. Drop Imp. IT and a point from RoR to get EW.

Read what you just said and rethink it dun. You can't drop a point in imp it, it's 1st tier silly. Endless winter is NOT worth the points. I have never needed it as shadowfrost and with 30 extra max rp, it's a worthless talent.

#7 StÖmp1296679484

StÖmp1296679484

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:28 PM

Of course It's focused on surviving, not everything has in this game is about how much damage you can do.

You don't need endless winter and I said I don't like RoR: point for point, there are better investments.

Unholy aura is worth it, especially in any bracket past 2v2.

Your last question is really dumb, I refuse to respond.

Are you aware they changed Unholy Aura? Also which part of my CE question was dumb?

#8 Dunsparrow

Dunsparrow
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Andorhal
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Holy

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:29 PM

Read what you just said and rethink it dun. You can't drop a point in imp it, it's 1st tier silly. Endless winter is NOT worth the points. I have never needed it as shadowfrost and with 30 extra max rp, it's a worthless talent.

I meant something like this: http://talent.mmo-ch...03&version=9704

You never needed CoI as shadowfrost because you had another ranged snare. Unholy/Frost is not going to play like shadowfrost and having a snare that also applies FF and Ebon will be important to your damage.

I dont see what the 30 extra RP has to do with the value of EW either.

#9 Yur

Yur

Posted 19 March 2009 - 06:15 PM

I meant something like this: http://talent.mmo-ch...03&version=9704

You never needed CoI as shadowfrost because you had another ranged snare. Unholy/Frost is not going to play like shadowfrost and having a snare that also applies FF and Ebon will be important to your damage.

I dont see what the 30 extra RP has to do with the value of EW either.

Updated main post, good points. Kudos.

#10 Yur

Yur

Posted 20 March 2009 - 12:29 AM

Not enough comments IMO.

#11 Nifti

Nifti
  • Junkies
  • Worgenclass_name
  • EU-Mug'thol
  • Vengeance / Rache
  • Talents: Blood

Posted 20 March 2009 - 12:47 AM

I was thinking about pretty much the same spec except id take 5/5 Toughness instead of imp IT and RPM and Strangulate Glyph instead of SS glyph.

edit: 3on3 id also take unholy blight, might help against RMP

#12 Samdillandul

Samdillandul
  • Members
  • Goblinclass_name
  • EU-Grim Batol
  • Misery
  • Talents: Unholy

Posted 20 March 2009 - 12:51 AM

i like the specc, however is 1 point in RoR really necessary? isnt it better to get more out of wandering plauge for example?
Previously known as Samdillandul

#13 Outkastdjinn

Outkastdjinn
  • Premium
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Thunderlord
  • Vindication

Posted 20 March 2009 - 01:42 AM

i like the specc, however is 1 point in RoR really necessary? isnt it better to get more out of wandering plauge for example?

The 1 point in Wandering Plague is simply an anti-rogue measure. RoR = All damage, with all moves/spells.

I'm not defending the spec, just explaining why I THINK he put the points there the way he did.
Season 4: Peaked @ 2,108:warlock::paladin:
Season 5: Peaked @ 2,477:deathknight::paladin:

#14 Volcanon

Volcanon
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Malorne
  • Vengeance
  • Talents:

Posted 20 March 2009 - 02:07 AM

Is all the survivability really worth it? Why is impurity worth 5 pts?

If I were to do the spec I'd move those pts from AMZ/AMS and a few pts from impurity to max out RoR/Wandering plague

#15 Yur

Yur

Posted 20 March 2009 - 02:11 AM

Read the first post, it says in there.

The survivability is worth it with the increase in caster dps post 3.1, which WILL happen, and AMZ is a great 4 point investment.

Impurity is for death coil.

#16 Nifti

Nifti
  • Junkies
  • Worgenclass_name
  • EU-Mug'thol
  • Vengeance / Rache
  • Talents: Blood

Posted 20 March 2009 - 02:16 AM

Its a valid point though. If you decide to take AMZ you could go 3/5 ROR 3/5 impurity instead of 1/5 5/5

#17 Samdillandul

Samdillandul
  • Members
  • Goblinclass_name
  • EU-Grim Batol
  • Misery

Posted 20 March 2009 - 02:18 AM

Read the first post, it says in there.

The survivability is worth it with the increase in caster dps post 3.1, which WILL happen, and AMZ is a great 4 point investment.

Impurity is for death coil.

Yeah saw it now, sorry for the lack of focus while reading from my side.
Previously known as Samdillandul

#18 Steamboat

Steamboat

Posted 20 March 2009 - 02:21 AM

0/16/55 Bloodless Lichborne Specc of the Gargoyle

already has a flashy name.

Sounds like something I'd DE

#19 Ulali

Ulali
  • Ulaliwuhn
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Bonechewer
  • Reckoning
  • Talents: Balance

Posted 20 March 2009 - 02:23 AM

is unholy blight bad? seems like a nice rp dump to keep up pressure

#20 Fionderat

Fionderat
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Arathi
  • Vengeance / Rache
  • Talents: Frost

Posted 20 March 2009 - 03:06 AM

This will probably be one of my two specs if nothing changes till then.
http://talent.mmo-ch...04&version=9704

Like the sinergy of bladed armor and toughness since i play with a druid.
I've got a present in my diaper and I'll give you a hint: It's not a toaster

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<