• Curse Premium
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Balance

Posted 03 July 2009 - 01:43 PM

Maliaka said:

Old thread I know.
But perhaps there's someone left who's experienced with video rendering.

I used the normal Sony Vegas Default Template for my last Videos but compared to the Quality of this two-pass rendering its shit.

I just do have one problem:
90 mb for 2:36 mins with default Sony vegas, 331 MB with this way.

Anyone an idea how to minimize my file?
And I don't see how this two pass rendering reduces the file size ;)

Higher quality is going to mean larger file size. It shouldn't be that big, though. Approx. 25 megs \ 1 minute length is good, and iirc the WarcraftMovies requirement, which this method meets.

There's two ways to reduce size:

First) Don't skip the VirtualDub portion (if you did). The compressed audio will shave a non-trivial amount of size off the file.

Second) If you've already done that, re-render with a lower bitrate. Anything > 3,000 kbps is a waste as it inflates your filesize with no quality gain. You can also safely go below 3,000 and still have very good quality. I believe I used something in the ~2,400 range when I was making videos and had great quality / filesize. Your mileage may vary. You should probably just render a few 1 minute sample clips to get a feel for what bitrate you can get away with.

edit --

Third) Don't fraps above 30 FPS. You probably aren't doing this, but if you are it will significantly increase the file size of both the raw and final output clips.

#22 Tarru

Tarru
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Laughing Skull
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Retribution

Posted 18 July 2009 - 07:45 AM

Alesandra said:

Hey dunno if you still check this thread, but I don't even get an option to choose Xvid MPEG-4 or what it was called under video formats =( I've installed the codec and such but nothing =(

Having the same problem, can anyone help?

#23 Joppeman

Joppeman
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-The Maelstrom
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Arms

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:13 PM

See this post

http://forums.virtua...ST&f=3&t=14258

If your using 64bit OS - then try uninstalling your 64bit VD and install the 32bit one. I was unable to see any codecs when using 64bit even though i have windows 7 64bit and a 64bit processor - but the 32bit works like a charm

#24 animals

animals
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Frostmane
  • Reckoning
  • Talents: Discipline

Posted 15 August 2009 - 11:14 PM

Can you use the same technique of rendering except in wmv format? Or would that be completely different?

#25 Shamanizer

Shamanizer
  • Premium Junkies
  • Curse Premium
  • Taurenclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Restoration 0/1/1/1/0/0
  • RBG: 767

Posted 24 January 2010 - 05:08 PM

Magdain said:

Higher quality is going to mean larger file size. It shouldn't be that big, though. Approx. 25 megs \ 1 minute length is good, and iirc the WarcraftMovies requirement, which this method meets.

There's two ways to reduce size:

First) Don't skip the VirtualDub portion (if you did). The compressed audio will shave a non-trivial amount of size off the file.

Second) If you've already done that, re-render with a lower bitrate. Anything > 3,000 kbps is a waste as it inflates your filesize with no quality gain. You can also safely go below 3,000 and still have very good quality. I believe I used something in the ~2,400 range when I was making videos and had great quality / filesize. Your mileage may vary. You should probably just render a few 1 minute sample clips to get a feel for what bitrate you can get away with.

edit --

Third) Don't fraps above 30 FPS. You probably aren't doing this, but if you are it will significantly increase the file size of both the raw and final output clips.

when i fraps with 30 fps i get really shit quality on the raw file?

#26 Shamanizer

Shamanizer
  • Premium Junkies
  • Curse Premium
  • Taurenclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Restoration 0/1/1/1/0/0
  • RBG: 767

Posted 24 January 2010 - 07:22 PM

Shamanizer said:

when i fraps with 30 fps i get really shit quality on the raw file?

Also, is there a faster way to render into good quality without all this?

This would mean 9 hours of rendering a 25 minute movie. is this normal?

#27 goodknight

goodknight
  • Junkies

Posted 28 January 2010 - 04:08 AM

Shamanizer said:

Also, is there a faster way to render into good quality without all this?

This would mean 9 hours of rendering a 25 minute movie. is this normal?

It depends on how fast your computer is.
If your computer isn't fantastic, 9 hours isn't too surprising.
Just set it b4 you sleep

#28 Rensy

Rensy
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Subtlety

Posted 23 February 2010 - 06:29 PM

Forgive me if I'm retarded, but if you use a two pass system, do you do the second pass on the original thing you did the first pass with? Or do you load the first pass into vegas and render that actual physical video first pass file with the second pass??

#29 Magdain

Magdain
  • Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Balance

Posted 23 February 2010 - 06:39 PM

You use the same vegas project the entire time. You do the File->Render as stuff on your original project with first pass settings. Then without actually changing anything in your vegas project do File->Render as again for second pass settings. The actual .avi file produced by the first pass is disposable and never used by you.

#30 Rensy

Rensy
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:12 PM

Nice. That's what I'm in the process of doing currently, just making sure I was on the right track. Great guide of course!

#31 Aperture

Aperture
  • Members
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Bleeding Hollow
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Arms

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:18 AM

Cant get this codec to show up in Vegas for the life of me.  (running 9 pro)

EDIT:  Switched to 32-bit Vegas and it's working fine now.
Coughlin's Law; Bury the dead, they stink up the place.

#32 Ensky

Ensky
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Blackrock
  • Glutsturm / Emberstorm
  • RBG: 2379

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:25 AM

I really hope there is still some1 reading this thread. I have the same problem Epitaph mentioned before me, however reinstalling a 32 bit Vegas did not fix it for me. I still don't get to choose XviD in the render as window.

Any idea what might be causing this? Running Windows xp and vegas9 pro.

Edit: also tried vegas8 but it's the same there

#33 nocturn4L

nocturn4L
  • Members
  • Goblinclass_name
  • US-Maiev
  • Whirlwind
  • Talents: Elemental

Posted 15 March 2010 - 03:57 AM

question for you guys frapsing your matches.. did a test run of a quick scrim and it came out to like 400mb!

i can imagine some matches will be a friggin gb or more before encoding

so what do you guys do after the match?  do you encode and compress your filts after every single match before queueing again?  or do you guys just have tons of gig's of free space and jus keep queueing and decode after?

#34 nocturn4L

nocturn4L
  • Members
  • Goblinclass_name
  • US-Maiev
  • Whirlwind
  • Talents: Elemental

Posted 16 March 2010 - 05:31 AM

dusknoir said:

I generally record until my second (target) hard drive is full, which is around 700gb. At that point, I go through each of them and delete the clips I'll never use, and then move the rest to a folder on my main HDD. I never encode them unless I'm using them for a project, but that's mostly because it takes ages for 700gb of clips to encode.

700gb??

lol dag i need a HD upgrade.. i only have like 20 gig's left of free space... i want to fraps but i guess i really don't have enough HD space ;T

#35 Mackabre

Mackabre
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Icecrown
  • Nightfall
  • Talents:

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:42 AM

So I've been trying to learn how to use my Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD 9.0. Spent hours reading tutorials and watching videos of tutorials and tweaking settings. I still can't seem to get my uploaded videos to be of the quality that I see in very great movies like many I have seen before. I followed your two-pass rendering guide, it comes out almost at raw quality, however when uploading it seems to really mess up the quality. This was the best I could get it at: http://www.wegame.co...test_final-avi/

Is there anything else I should be doing after your two-pass to make it so my uploaded videos are closer in quality to my rendered/raw ones?

Eraseasaurus said:

You will not get Gladiator, if you do I promise to never post on any WoW related forums ever again.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<