Arcane Missiles, say goodbye to frostbolt

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Amplefroth

Amplefroth

Posted 12 August 2007 - 02:40 AM

Ok, im exagerating, but i'm just copied this verbatum from my guild's mage forums:

Next patch, Arcane Missles is being changed so that every tick counts as an individual spell for purposes of procs. This means that things like Robes of the Elder Scribes and Mystical Skyfire Diamond just got incredibly interesting.

Here is some of the hilarious discussion from EJ :
Quote:
I'm double extra.... hell.... even triple sure of this. Each time you channel AM, there are exactly 6 checks per cast. One at the start of the channel and then one for every missile. At a 5% proc rate per check, that averages out to at least one mystical skyfire proc 27% of the time per full AM channel.

Yes, you can have multiple procs per cast. Yes, it can proc at the end of your channel.

And, yes. This is earth shattering. It's every bit as big of a deal as you think it is. I tried posting my findings, like, a month ago on the official mage boards but no one seemed to understand the implications.

No, clear casting can not proc per missile. This is amazing. But not THAT amazing.

Quote:
Ok, let me re-iterate.

If this change is going through. Ignoring DPM concerns for a short time, this could lead to the dawn of a new age, or something of the sort. TLC will be overly overly overly overpowered. This cannot be right. Were speaking here of 1500-1600+ dps AM spam, and very very possibly more. Sure, you will go oom faster than anything else save arcane brilliance spam, but jesus, downrank AM to proc TLC if mana is a concern....

[The Lightning Capacitor]
[Ashtongue Talisman of Insight]
[ring of ancient knowledge] (not unique)
[mantle of nimble thought]
[Bracers of Nimble Thought]
[zhar'doom, Greatstaff of the Devourer]
[Waistwrap of Infinity]

4pc t5 (+70dmg / 6s on every crit)
4pc t6 (+5% dmg on AM)

lol?

Quote:
i dont think you guys understand the numbers....

you put spell haste gear not because it sucks, I know it sucks. It has no sockets. But, with every spell haste gear you get, you increase the uptime on ashtongue talisman of insight. The more you have that proc up, that more you proc your mystical skyfire diamond and vice versa.

Btw, doing some rough math, rank 3 AM spam with the gear listed above yields 500 dps. Take that as you will.

Although this goes into the possibilities of this change for PvE (being that my guild is for raiding), what does this mean for PvE? Its going to almost be mandatory for mages to have a mystical skyfire gem. You can do insane bursts of damage if the other team leaves you alone through arcane machine gun (thats what i call it :P), the only thing that tops it is probably a shatter combo.. but if your MSFD procs, and you can get it does proc a couple times in a row (essentially a 12% chance to have 2 procs in a row), you can end up doing crazy damage.

the catch? mana, quite obviously.. you would have to get even luckier to get clearcasting procs, which dont, unfortunetly, act the same as the MSFD.

also.. over just a couple of seconds you can pump out tons of damage, but that isn't necessarily burst damage, in which in just a single second you deal 3k+ damage (i.e. shatter proc; what i mean by a single second is that when the damage happens, it happens at one moment of time, while for AM to take into effect, it has to be over several seconds, thus the target can recieve heals in time).

This has the potential to be big, how big? it depends, we will have to wait and see if the damage burst is actually going to be effective, but with a holy priest (PI), bloodlust, (hell i'm even considering) mind quickening gem to get things started, we can end up being the biggest damage dealers in 5v5, and this could really change mages in 3v3/2v2

edit: i assume the numbers will be off being that the guy is speaking from a PoV that has emp arcane missiles... so this probably wont be as effective in higher arenas where all mages are frost. Nonetheless, i'm excited :D
~~Amplefroth~~
Daddy hits Mommy: 2 frost mages, 1711    (8-0)
Higher Beings: Fr mage SL lock Holy pal, 1875
The Stinky Pinkies: 3dps 2heals no warrior, 2088
Darkspear Horde

#2 Windwalk

Windwalk
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Burning Blade
  • Vindication
  • Talents:

Posted 12 August 2007 - 03:10 AM

Hehe, sounds awesome.

I wonder how downranking AM would work.

#3 Amplefroth

Amplefroth

Posted 12 August 2007 - 07:35 PM

Windwalk said:

Hehe, sounds awesome.

I wonder how downranking AM would work.

AM, as you know, is extremely mana expensive... i think the whole downranking thing was for PvE so your mana could actually last through the fight. If you downrank in pvp youd lose burst, but you probably could save some mana by going down to rank 8 without losing to much damage.
~~Amplefroth~~
Daddy hits Mommy: 2 frost mages, 1711    (8-0)
Higher Beings: Fr mage SL lock Holy pal, 1875
The Stinky Pinkies: 3dps 2heals no warrior, 2088
Darkspear Horde

#4 Windwalk

Windwalk
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Burning Blade
  • Vindication
  • Talents:

Posted 12 August 2007 - 09:41 PM

Yeah, I might play around with rank 8, but it looks like you get a lot more DPS from the full rank.  We'll see, the s2 set is getting a lot of intellect on it, so I might have the mana to support some AM spam.

#5 buena

buena
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Detheroc
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Arcane

Posted 24 August 2007 - 08:25 PM

I did try a 44+ arcane arcane missles PvP spec at one time, on the theory that it was the mage spell least affected by resilience.  It was probably the worst spec I have ever had lol.  You start it and get hit with a fear, stun, silence, gouge, whatever, you just wasted all that mana.  It's really hard to get people to hold still for it too, due to low range, long cast time, and no snare or stun effects.

I do raid as arcane in a guild starting hyjal this week and I understand why this guy is flipping out about this change and all the talk of downranking.  That's for PvE.  For PvP at best it will raise arcane missles from an unusable spell to one that's still really hard to use but potentially very high DPS.  Something like a 40/0/21 spec with 3 points in empowered AM instead of MM could potentially be very effective blowing off AP and machine-gunning someone.  Although I kind of doubt decent arena teams would let you do that.

At the very least its going to be amazing for making some poor saps in battlegrounds go "omg what just happened?!?" :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<