Photo

Difference between a decent player and a glad?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 Defkism

Defkism
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Firetree
  • Reckoning
  • Talents: Feral Combat

Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:18 AM

Im wondering what you think is the main difference a decent player and a gladiator. Thanks

• Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Zul'jin
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Balance 1/0/2/2/2/0
  • RBG: 1806

Posted 16 February 2009 - 06:17 AM

Keybinds, and experience.

#3 Fenald

Fenald
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Magtheridon
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Frost

Posted 16 February 2009 - 06:21 AM

SITUATIONAL AWARENESS

You're not decent if you don't have keybinds.

#4 Fierss

Fierss
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Firetree
  • Reckoning
  • Talents: Protection

Posted 16 February 2009 - 06:34 AM

Your partner(s). Replace someone at 2300's partner with your partner at 1600 and watch them struggle to break 1800. The difference a good partner can make is often a larger factor than your individual ability.

Experience, which gives you situational awareness.

General game knowledge is also pretty helpful. I've played every class except for a shaman, DK, and mage at lvl 70 or 80, which helps me know what everyone has in their toolbook. I pvped on a druid, war, rogue, hunter, and pally (holy and ret) at 70, so not only did I have experience playing against just about any and every comp due to the large number of games, but I also knew what to expect in a variety of situations.

Bindings aren't required, but help. I got to glad rating in early/mid s3 and my bindings consisted of 1-6. I set some bindings, we remade the team and got higher than before (not that we had capped out our rating the first time), but it definitely wasn't needed to get glad.

#5 Deccard

Deccard
  • Members
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • EU-Die Silberne Hand
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Affliction

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:44 PM

Partners, yeah

#6 Kqpro

Kqpro
  • Junkies
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Eonar
  • Vindication

Posted 16 February 2009 - 04:33 PM

tunnel vision or NOT

#7 Cruxis

Cruxis

Posted 16 February 2009 - 04:34 PM

tunnel vision or NOT

If this was TBC I'd agree.

Honestly it doesnt matter what people think of me. I make money playing this game, and soon to be a world champion. stop us if u can.

Salute to the World Champion.

#8 Shaydee

Shaydee
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Korgath
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Balance

Posted 16 February 2009 - 04:59 PM

Understanding every class to where if you could play any class that was geared, you'd be towards the top of the bracket. You need everyone on your team to be your level.

#9 Bellz

Bellz
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Assassination

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:33 PM

Thinking out of the box, having good EXP - Good leaderskills can help alot as well :)

#10 Narcisa

Narcisa
  • Members
  • Goblinclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents:

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:35 PM

Bindings aren't required, but help. I got to glad rating in early/mid s3 and my bindings consisted of 1-6. I set some bindings, we remade the team and got higher than before (not that we had capped out our rating the first time), but it definitely wasn't needed to get glad.

Mainly because you prolly played Druid/Warrior Rogue/Druid Hunter/Druid ect. in S3 which all of those combos didn't really require you to be very good in the first place. KEYBINDS are KEY.
R.I.P. Ricefarmer

#11 Fierss

Fierss
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Firetree
  • Reckoning

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:43 PM

War/druid, War/Shaman, War/priest, War/pally, War/ret/sham before back in s2
Pally/Lock, Pally war, Pally/Lock/Hunter (before hunter buffs), 4 dps 5s
Rogue/priest, later rogue/druid (rogue in s2 gear, no pve stuff)
Druid/lock (late s3/s4, mediocre gear)
and tons more. I played dozens of comps, on 5 different chars, and did well on basically all of them. Calling me out when you really have no idea is funny. I rarely went the 'warrior/warlock' route of playing significantly outside the box, but I didn't just go with the best comp for each char.

Keybinds are a benefit, not a requirement. I noticed that playing with someone who was just bad all around (not due solely to no experience) vs playing with good players (who might not even know the class at all) was a huge factor in how well a team did.

#12 Dahislol

Dahislol
  • Members
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Blackrock
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents:

Posted 17 February 2009 - 03:35 AM

There's no excuse for not binding everything. You absolutely CANNOT play at the same level clicking as you would with binds.

#13 Mybones

Mybones
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Greymane
  • Shadowburn

Posted 17 February 2009 - 03:48 AM

agree, I think it is kind of funny seeing 1600 players laughing at others who stream on xfire or in screen shots because they click etc. I click most of my spells and it rarely slows me down, if I am waiting for gcds to use more abilities and still on my targets and aware of what is going on in my background while still clicking- there is no difference in keybinding if you can maintain the above.

I mean 2.1k isnt great but how many shaman war mage comps are there even, i dont feel too bad for not keybinding.

I click as well. Honestly, clicking only becomes a hindrance if you cannot get to your spells within GCD. The only time I can see keybinding as a requirement are for those spells that are off GCD and even then, only if your too slow. (IE: Counterspelling late because your couldn't get to it fast enough)

The main difference between a regular player and a gladiator player are the following :

1. Knowledge of other classes. Take time to look up what other classes do, watch what they do, and even duel players of a specific class that are high rated to see what they do.

2. No Keyboard turning. The fact is if you keyboard turn and you are casting an offensive spell, people can run through you and if your not mouse turning, the spell your casting will end before they are infront of your character.

3. Knowing the situation. Be aware of what cooldowns your enemy has, what cooldowns your partners still have, and where people are located. Knowing this also leads to the next point...

4. Using the information at hand. Knowing where people are placed and what cooldowns, abilities, ect. they have will allow for better calling of who to kill or CC. Many regular players have the concept Kill Target as who you hold on to and never let go until they die, and CC target as doing nothing with but CCing. Your facing DK/Paladin and your strategy is kill DK, CC paladin. A gladiator team would as the match progresses, be aware of what is happening and possibly switch up your strategy. Assume the paladin bubbled to heal the DK, but now the DK has gotten away and is now nowhere near to assist his Paladin. You now have a paladin far away from any assistance, a gladiator would seize the opporotunity and make a switch to the paladin, keeping pressure on the paladin and possibly killing him while forcing the DK back to you instead of you running around the match chasing a DK and not getting anything done.

5. Stay calm and collected. I see many teams where they lose a map and go ape-shit. When you lose or even win, reflect on the match, see what the opponent did, and discuss what could have gone better instead of getting flustered. Trust me, getting flustered will get you knowhere.

#14 Rice

Rice
  • Junkies

Posted 17 February 2009 - 03:50 AM

Anyone find it funny that only DPS can succeed by clicking?

#15 Mybones

Mybones
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Greymane
  • Shadowburn

Posted 17 February 2009 - 03:52 AM

Anyone find it funny that only DPS can succeed by clicking?

I am sure there are healers that click in range of getting a gladiator title.

#16 Faizz

Faizz
  • Members
  • Trollclass_name
  • US-Staghelm
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Elemental

Posted 17 February 2009 - 03:52 AM

ive seen people that can do amazing things by clicking, but when i started keybinding my junk i noticed a HUGE rating increase
Caps Lock: CRUISE CONTROL FOR AWSOME!!!

#17 Vitrie

Vitrie
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Kazzak
  • Misery
  • Talents: Retribution

Posted 17 February 2009 - 04:28 AM

Why does anyone even defend clicking? Sure, you can get by and do 'okay' as a clicker, but it's pretty obvious that it IS slower and less efficient. Just because you can technically cut your nails with a knife doesn't mean using clippers isn't better.
Hi!

#18 Outlier

Outlier
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Stormreaver
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Assassination

Posted 17 February 2009 - 05:28 AM

Knowing other classes and what they do in many situations.

Keybinds are necessary for any player planning to go 1800+

#19 Arenatank

Arenatank
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Cho'gall
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Discipline

Posted 17 February 2009 - 05:47 AM

i've found you can get away w/ clicking some things. i mean yeah you need the import things bound like prayer of healing, but i get away with clicking fear

#20 Fierss

Fierss
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Firetree
  • Reckoning

Posted 17 February 2009 - 05:56 AM

It's basically impossible to play at the same speed/level clicking as you could with bindings. You will have dead time where you're moving your mouse and could be doing something else. Even if you get really good at moving for those very short periods that you aren't moving with the mouse, utilizing strafe and whatnot, you're still not being as quick as you could be.

The people mocking me for being a warrior and saying I used to click are overlooking a ton of things.

1) I have most everything bound now, because I agree with you guys, that key binding is useful. However to say it's a necessity is very, very wrong. I know of many gladiators who don't, though as a healer, it's less effort to bind than to try to play as a clicker and far more productive. There's no real argument here.

2) Did you skip the part where I played 5 70s? LOLOL WARRIOR LOL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<