Mystical Skyfire vs Powerful Earthstorm

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Tyveris

Tyveris
  • Premium Junkies
  • Curse Premium

Posted 11 August 2007 - 06:12 PM

I have been running with the powerful earthstorm up until last week when I decided that I wanted to resocket to be a little more offensive. I switched to the mystical skyfire and I have to say, I think it is superior in every way. Why?

Losing 18 stam doesn't hurt that badly and with blink, we often don't need stun resist. If a target is in your face it doesn't matter if you get stunned or not, you are interrupted.

The focus proc seems to happen more than you would think. It has a chance to proc on every spell including ice barrier, detect magic, poly, etc. It really allows you to burst down a target much easier or even land a poly interrupt that might not have come before. A half cast time Arcane Missles is really nasty as well.

In addition, we are focused less than most other classes so that stun resist is doing nothing, but we are always casting spells meaning the focus proc will always be working for us.

In summary, if you aren't using the Mystical Skyfire, I really think you should be. Best way is to try for yourself and you will see how many situations it makes a difference.

Thoughts?

#2 Windwalk

Windwalk
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Burning Blade
  • Vindication
  • Talents:

Posted 11 August 2007 - 06:21 PM

I'd agree that Mystical Skyfire is superior.  I have the stam one because I really, really wanted 10K health  :wink:

Also, in duels, if you kill someone with focus+AM while they're a low health, they die.

#3 justin_12

justin_12
  • Members
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Ursin
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Holy

Posted 11 August 2007 - 07:22 PM

Whoa, I didn't know it procced off of every little spell. Nice info, I think I'll upgrade to one of these as soon as I can ;)

#4 Amplefroth

Amplefroth

Posted 11 August 2007 - 11:30 PM

my S1 helm has the 18 stam 5 stun resist, my S2 has the mystical skyfire... i haven't tried it out in arenas but i admit, the mystical skyfire does wonders in terms of getting clutch sheeps/frostbolts off. It often is luck, sometimes it happens when you dont need it, and others when you cant use it, but it really does pay off when you opponent is at 10% hp and about to get a big heal.

unfortunetly it doesn't stack with other haste improving items... I tried to use mind quickening gem + MSF, and it didn't work :(

Arcane machine gun = ftw though
~~Amplefroth~~
Daddy hits Mommy: 2 frost mages, 1711    (8-0)
Higher Beings: Fr mage SL lock Holy pal, 1875
The Stinky Pinkies: 3dps 2heals no warrior, 2088
Darkspear Horde

#5 Iceweaver

Iceweaver
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tortheldrin
  • Emberstorm
  • Talents: Frost

Posted 16 August 2007 - 04:20 AM

In my S1 headpicece I had the +18 stam, now that I am decked out in S2 losing 18 stam is not that big of a deal at all and the Mystical Skyfire gem is just crazy.

Having it proc off your icelance while kiting the rogue or warrior and then being able to get off a 1.5 frostbolt... just insane.

Or on that initial zerg of 5s where you can just sit and spam frostbolt WITH heroism... OMG.
After switiching to this gem I have realized that mages are OP    :)
ema

#6 Haet

Haet
  • Members
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Destromath
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Fire

Posted 16 August 2007 - 05:46 AM

the 5% stun resist is really nice when it procs. The fact that we can blink out of stuns doesnt make it useless because a resist proc is saving you 650 mana, or it is giving u a free blink cooldown so you can use it for kiting instead of getting out of intercept or whatever stun u were just saving it for.

I did however just switch to the spell haste gem though and am happy with the decision.
I dont like how short the proc duration is, a lot of procs end up wasted. It procs a lot though and often allows a frostbolt to finish before someone gets around a corner or makes it out of LoS.

A defensive gem just isnt the correct choice for a frost mage imo.

#7 Rathizan

Rathizan
  • Members
  • Trollclass_name
  • US-Kalecgos
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Fire

Posted 24 August 2007 - 06:52 PM

I just put one of those gems in my helm and the proc does happen all the time, just wondering if anyone knows if the proc is used up if you cast an instant cast spell while it is active.

#8 Windwalk

Windwalk
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Burning Blade
  • Vindication
  • Talents:

Posted 24 August 2007 - 06:54 PM

Rathizan said:

I just put one of those gems in my helm and the proc does happen all the time, just wondering if anyone knows if the proc is used up if you cast an instant cast spell while it is active.
Instant casts don't affect the focus buff.

And if you start casting AM, it doesn't eat the proc either.  So, you can machine gun 3 AM pulses and then recast for 5 more AM pulses with the haste.  Not mana efficient, but very fun (and high DPS).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<