#101 Levidian

Levidian
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Executus
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents:

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:18 PM

I recently started a hunter and was wondering: is 0/41/30 spec any good?
+15% more agility and +30% ap from stamina.. Thats like 1000ap and another 5% (+3% from talents) crit or so.
Wont it compensate for the loss of chimera shot?

Nope, your stats will be good but unless you have a 51pt ability you wont have any abilities that can take advantage of the stat gains.
Top 1000 user club: #562
Armchair Blogger - 04/20/2010
http://wowriot.gamer...Reality-Collide

#102 SeruAV

SeruAV
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Elune
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Arms

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:25 PM

Another freshly minted hunter here; tried arena for the first time since 70 last night (been pveing on her for a while now). I noticed that (in 2s) serpent sting almost never stays up. Might SV be preferable?

And in cases where the dispels are instant (e.g., abolish is rolling, cleansing is permanently down despite pet stomping it whenever I can, or...pally) is it worth wasting mana to put it back up every other gcd, or should I just forget it and dps without it?

#103 NickyEU

NickyEU
  • Premium Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Kazzak
  • Misery
  • Talents: Beast Mastery 1/0/0/2/1/0
  • RBG: 576

Posted 06 February 2010 - 03:31 PM

Another freshly minted hunter here; tried arena for the first time since 70 last night (been pveing on her for a while now). I noticed that (in 2s) serpent sting almost never stays up. Might SV be preferable?

And in cases where the dispels are instant (e.g., abolish is rolling, cleansing is permanently down despite pet stomping it whenever I can, or...pally) is it worth wasting mana to put it back up every other gcd, or should I just forget it and dps without it?

Survival will be better, especially if you are new and starting up.

Regarding the sting, from my personal experience, I do not spam it every time it is dispelled but I rather let him dispell it the first time, to see if he is a retard, then try getting some pressure or Line of sighting OR having my partner assist with some dots so it take him time, resulting in the healer needing to heal and then you can refresh and have it on the target for a few seconds.

#104 Sheiva

Sheiva
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Marksmanship

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:27 PM

Could we please add some information about arena hit cap for Hunter's in this thread to avoid getting a lot of threads about that topic? This seems to be the perfect place to have that information.
Formerly known as Sheivalol

Pretty much everything Nerdz said

#105 Lieto

Lieto
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Arthas
  • Glutsturm / Emberstorm
  • Talents: Subtlety
  • LocationKyiv. Ukraine.

Posted 22 July 2010 - 03:22 PM

Another general noob question:

So my friend recently re-rolled glad druid to hunter and we decided to do some 2s as restosham+hunt. He is already good geared (like best icc25+rel/wrath) and i have experience as hunt+sham at 2.2+ But... this is going nowhere, we are stuck at 1.6. For some reason every time we meet a warrior or rogue or dk he just cant kite em well enough and we end up doing 3 times less damage with both of us eventually oom (spamming hw through ms) and dead even with pet alive.

Whats the trick in hunt vs melee fights? Any noobie pointers as to fundamental things that he might be missing? (since getting stuck at 1.6 with good gear and good partner seems like some fundamental problem). Last hunter i was playing with seem to make warriors cry with blood and kited 24/7. It looks pretty ok from the side: like disengages, pins, scatters, disarms all that stuff — they are both doing it, but smth just doesnt work.
Shadowmelding since 2007.

#106 Sheiva

Sheiva
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn

Posted 23 July 2010 - 12:24 AM

You need to time your roots for after they use Charge / Intercepts. It also helps if you are jumping charges to avoid getting Hamstrung.

Snake Trap and Frsot Trap both provide Entrapment procs, but the Hunter has to be within 10 yards of the trap to proc the root effect. This is pretty important to know when kiting melee.

Also, LoSing Warriors is a good idea. It makes them go behind pillars and forcing their healers out into the open for CC chains. Plus it gives you a nice point where you can pop out and drop some instant-cast shots into them.

If a Rogue gets on your Hunter has to stay alive through both Sprints. After that it's really easy to kite them. Don't try to Deterrence a Kidney or something because you can't Parry from behind and you'll still get stunned. Use it to survive wen your healer is CC'd. If you are going to Deterrence against a Rogue, add /cast !flare into the Deterrence macro so if you do need to Deterrence you can prevent this.

Good luck kiting a DK without a Dispel or your pet, it's basically impossible.

Overall, keep using Tranq Shot to dispel buffs so you can dispel a Freedom or something later in the match.

#107 Schlotzsky

Schlotzsky
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Hydraxis
  • Emberstorm
  • Talents: Blood

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:40 AM

Don't try to Deterrence a Kidney or something because you can't Parry from behind and you'll still get stunned.

Deterrence hasn't been like that for a long, long time.

#108 Arbee

Arbee
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • EU-Alonsus
  • Cruelty / Crueldad

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:20 AM

Patch 3.2.0:

Deterrence: This ability now allows the hunter to parry spells and attacks from behind as well as in front. Now has a new visual spell effect.

Though you still can't parry Cheap Shot (and won't parry/deflect anything while stunned), which is why you should flare while using deterrence. Flare wouldn't help against Kidney Shots anyway.

#109 Sheiva

Sheiva
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:42 PM

Thanks for clarifying that. It does suck once you get into that Cheap Shot that they can land the Kidney afterwards, basically countering the fact that you used Deterrence in the first place.

You can also macro.....
-Wing Clip
-Traps
-Hunter's Mark
-Mend Pet
to use while you're in Deterrence. Flare seems to be the best option for the macro and then you can use the rest while the Deterrence is still up.

Speaking of things you can macro other attacks to, you can put Traps and Wing Clip with Disengage which is pretty useful for helping you kite melee.

[edit: typos]

#110 Naatzors

Naatzors
  • Premium Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Haomarush
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Feral Combat
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:03 PM

have to ask this somewhere, so im just gonna ask it here.

A good mage shits all over a hunter in a duel/1v1 unles they start with huge range between them yeh?

#111 Leryssa

Leryssa
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Frost

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:23 PM

have to ask this somewhere, so im just gonna ask it here.

A good mage shits all over a hunter in a duel/1v1 unles they start with huge range between them yeh?

...no?

I just start off with a scatter, put a snake trap on him and gain some distance with cheetah, once he's going out of scatter just nuke as much as you can, he will most likely blink to you. If he does that i'll web him and silence and basically burst him as good as i can.

Once he's getting close to you i put down a frost trap, freedom myself and disengage away.

If he gets a DF onto you just trinket it, interrupt the frostbolt with a silence/scatter/FD. If you get caught into another nova without trinket up just deterrence.

It's usually an easy fight unless he uses every single CD and then he will usually atleast get you somewhat low on health because of the fact that they can sit in a full block with mirror images + water elemental on you.

Most good mages will try to kill your pet, they'll basically start off with polying you, FD first, silence next and deterrence third, if he gets a poly on you just trinket it and keep nuking, most mages will be at 10-30% hp already by the time they can get a clean poly off and then it's already too late for them to win the duel in most cases.
Posted Image

#112 Naatzors

Naatzors
  • Premium Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Haomarush
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Feral Combat
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:36 PM

...no?

I just start off with a scatter, put a snake trap on him and gain some distance with cheetah, once he's going out of scatter just nuke as much as you can, he will most likely blink to you. If he does that i'll web him and silence and basically burst him as good as i can.

Once he's getting close to you i put down a frost trap, freedom myself and disengage away.

If he gets a DF onto you just trinket it, interrupt the frostbolt with a silence/scatter/FD. If you get caught into another nova without trinket up just deterrence.

It's usually an easy fight unless he uses every single CD and then he will usually atleast get you somewhat low on health because of the fact that they can sit in a full block with mirror images + water elemental on you.

Most good mages will try to kill your pet, they'll basically start off with polying you, FD first, silence next and deterrence third, if he gets a poly on you just trinket it and keep nuking, most mages will be at 10-30% hp already by the time they can get a clean poly off and then it's already too late for them to win the duel in most cases.

main problem is LoS though isnt it, a defensive mage. In the open it should go like you just said yeah - but i dont see how im gonna beat a good mage if he uses his LoS

edit: havent actually been dueling any, but - Deterancing deepfreeze is close to undoable if he uses it with petnova since i dont think it shares GCD meaning its prolly gonna land faster then you canreact, esp counting lag (unles you predict he's gonna do it though ofc)

#113 Leryssa

Leryssa
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Frost

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:53 PM

main problem is LoS though isnt it, a defensive mage. In the open it should go like you just said yeah - but i dont see how im gonna beat a good mage if he uses his LoS

edit: havent actually been dueling any, but - Deterancing deepfreeze is close to undoable if he uses it with petnova since i dont think it shares GCD meaning its prolly gonna land faster then you canreact, esp counting lag (unles you predict he's gonna do it though ofc)

If he's gonna pillar hump then it's really situational, i'd personally not go behind a pillar unless i had freedom up or a trinket, you can try damaging him with volley to force him out.

If you do have freedom up, chase him around the pillar and put down frost+snake trap, scatter him and then load up a burst on him, usually it's not in his favor to run around the pillar unless he has mirrors up and a elemental, usually they'll just evoc, forcing you to follow him.

It's really easy to predict if he's gonna pet nova > DF you, if he just simply puts up a pet while running to you and you get novad, instantly deterrence, i usually just freedom myself tho when they put up a pet, always gets the nova.
Posted Image

#114 klanksterr

klanksterr
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Nesingwary
  • Emberstorm
  • Talents: Assassination

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:15 PM

a good/geared mage isnt really going to lose(not saying will beat every class but they wont lose) to anything except an aff lock in a 1v1

#115 Raphner

Raphner
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Survival ./0/././1/./.
  • LocationSweden

Posted 21 September 2010 - 02:48 AM

i crapped all over hunters in duels at my mage.

The hunter has to trinket first DF, survive another DC CD and you win.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<