#1 Squeeshy

Squeeshy
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Rivendare
  • Emberstorm
  • Talents: Discipline

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:56 PM

Discipline Priest/Survival Hunter 2v2 Strategy Guide (Priest PoV)

General Information: Hi, my name is Squeeshy and I am currently rated 2500 with my Survival Hunter. Although most Hunters play with a Paladin or Shaman in 2v2, a Discipline Priest works great as long as you have coordination and communication.

The strengths of Hunter/Priest consist entirely mostly on chaining CCs (crowd control). Against almost 90% of all DPS/Healer teams, we win because the healer is stuck in a sleep or a fear. In order to play this team successful, it is vital to call out when you use your CCs on vent so that you and your partner do not use them both at the same time.

The main weakness of this comp is sadly the Priest. Currently, as of patch 3.08, any competent rogue will be able to destroy a Priest without much effort. The hardest teams for this team will be any Rogue/Healer team because of their ability to simply train the Priest.

The only macro that I use which I think is vital is a Shadow Word Death focus macro. Against a mage rogue team, if you happen to get caught in a full sheep, you will most likely lose the match. In order to play Hunter/Priest at a high level requires being able to escape CCs with either Death or LoS. A good way to practice this is to find a mage and have him sheep you every time your Shadow Word Death cool down is up. Don’t forget, Death can also break Scatter Shot, Wyvren Sting, and Blind. These are much harder to break, but with a little experience and luck, you may find yourself winning a game because of it.

As for AddOns, I like to keep my UI pretty standard, so I only use Gladdius and Omni CC.

Specs: Currently, I’m specced 59/12 Discipline with 5 points in Rapture, and full Reflective Shield. Even with the Reflective Shield nerf/bug, the Priest will get trained in most games, so the added damage is helpful. I find that Divine Fury really isn’t worth it because Penance is such a powerful and efficient spell and whenever I try to Smite spam for damage, I end up going oom. Usually, a Mind Blast/Shadow Word Death is enough to help your hunter drop someone.

http://www.worldofwa...000000000000000

Hunters should go some form of Deep Survival Marksmanship, making sure to pick up Aimed Shot and Explosive shot. My hunter is currently 18/53. A lot of hunters fail to pick up the mana regeneration talents at the end of the tree (Thrill of the Hunt and Hunting Party). Although it seems like these are a waste, the more mana your Hunter has means the more pressure he can put out. Also, the added replenishment is a nice bonus.

http://www.worldofwa...330503135021021

A crab is an excellent pet for the hunter to use because of its ability to freedom the priest. Also, it takes 2x healing so it should be quite easy to keep up.

Gear: The Priest needs to wear full PvP gear with as much stamina and resilience gem/enchants as possible. Survivability is the most important issue for the priest. However, make sure to hit the spell hit cap and also a good amount of spell penetration is useful.

The Hunter should also wear as much PvP gear as possible, but there is much more room for PvE gear depending on what comps you are facing. Against teams that tunnel vision the priest, the Hunter can put on as much PvE gear as he feels comfortable with.

Matchups: 1: Easy 5: Medium 10: Hard

Priest/Rogue (6): Priest/Rogue is the only Rogue/Healer team that is consistently beatable by Hunter/Priest. The main reason for this is because Viper Sting destroys Priests. The basic strategy for this match up is to DPS the Rogue and Sting the Priest every time he comes LoS. If the opposing Priest is playing very offensively, it is ok to switch DPS to the Priest, but never follow him around while he uses LoS against you.

Some trouble you may encounter against this comp is if they play very aggressive against you or your Hunter.

1: If they sap your Hunter and Dispel/Focus you, make sure to trinket Kidney Shot and use Pain Suppression as soon as you can. When your Hunter is free from Sap, have him cc the Rogue so you have some time to top off and then start the DPS pressure. Do not mana burn the Priest because it is unnecessary and could put you in a bad position. Simply kite around your Hunter’s frost trap and keep popping instants on yourself. If you need to, spam Holy Nova to keep yourself from dying. The Rogue will quickly drop health if your Hunter CCs the priest and puts full DPS on the Rogue. Have your Hunter save trinket for Blind. If you survive the Rogue’s onslaught, either the opposing Priest will run OOM or the Rogue is dead from your Hunter’s unimpeded barrage of attacks.

2: If they sap you and Dispel/Focus your hunter, make sure to your Hunter plays defensively. Save your trinket for Blind and pop Pain Suppression early. It is ok to get burned 1 or 2 times, just keep your Hunter alive. Again, the hunter should be DPSing the rogue and Ccing the Priest. If the opposing Priest is being careless and overly aggressive, it is ok to CC the rogue and attack the Priest.

Also, if they go for your Hunter’s pet, simply pull it back and heal it up. Even if your pet dies though, it’s pretty easy to keep the Priest in combat and Viper Sting will keep him struggling for mana throughout the entire fight. The key concept for winning the fight is to outlast them. You will not lose the mana war because Viper Sting destroys Priests. You will only lose if one of you gets gibbed so watch out for it.

Death Knight/Holy Paladin (4): The ease of this comp is what makes Hunter/Priest shine. All you have to do is kill the DK’s pet (if he has one) and then train the DK while CCing the Paladin. Usually the Death Knight will try to train the Priest. If this happens, just kite around a Frost Trap and keep cleanse disease on yourself. If you do get low, call out for a scatter and heal up. Don’t bother draining the paladin because it is a waste of time. Merely, rotate CCs on the Paladins until his trinket and bubble are down and then finish up the fight with one more round of CCs. Usually, a simple Wyvren followed by a fear will be enough to force the Paladin to trinket. After about 3 fears, the Paladin should be out of CDs and you should be able to kill the DK. You can help your Hunter DPS by using Mind Blast/Shadow Word Death whenever you are not too low in health.

Death Knight/Ret Paladin (4): This comp is relatively easy, but there is always the possibility of dying in a strangulate. Basically, your Hunter should CC the Death Knight and DPS the Paladin until he bubbles. As long as you don’t get destroyed in the first minute, the game should be yours.

Death Knight/Rogue and Ret Paladin/Rogue (6): These comps are a little scarier because Rogues can shred a Priest in seconds. The Hunter should be DPSing the Rogue and CCing the other class. Try to get in combat as fast as you can because a sap to your hunter could be devastating.

Mage/Priest (2): There’s really nothing they can do against you. Just LoS the Mage and drain the priest. Most Mage/Priest teams play Frost, so just keep yourself and the Hunter cleansed and LoS. The Priest will run out of mana quickly and the game will be yours.

Death Knight/Shaman (5): This team can be troublesome if they spam purge and train you, but I’ve found a good counter to this is to cc the Death Knight and play very aggressively against the Shaman. Dispel his buffs, stomp his totems, and toss some DPS. A good Shaman will LoS so make sure to not get tunnel vision and switch back to the DK. Fear the Shaman whenever you can, but make sure that tremor totem has been removed. A good fear against a Shaman when his tremor is down is very devastating.

Holy Paladin/Warrior (5): This team is similar to DK/Holy Paladin but a warrior can become a bigger threat than a DK. Again, DPS the warrior while CCing the Paladin. Wyvren/Fear should be enough to waste the Paladin’s cool downs. A good team will attempt to LoS you to restart the fight, but if this happens, just sit down and drink. Again, don’t bother mana burning unless they are playing ultra defensive because it’s generally not worth it. Whenever the Paladin is CCed, you should be helping your hunter DPS. Also, if you get low, call out for a scatter and top yourself off. This fight isn’t hard unless the warrior’s name is Zeriel.

Mage/Rogue (8): This team is very hard to play against. Simply put, most teams will go for your Hunter and if you get caught in a Sheep, you will automatically lose. In order to keep your Hunter up, you must Shadow Word Death the first sheep or LoS it. Pop an early Pain Suppression (hopefully eating a pom pyro) on your Hunter and keep Renew, Mending, and Shield on him. Use around 1-2 ticks of penance on your Hunter before canceling in order to fake cast a counter spell. However, most mages these days don’t do that any more and blanket silence 75% of the time. Your hunter should trinket the Kidney Shot and train the mage while CCing the rogue. He should also keep a flair up at all times to stop vanishes and mage invisibility. If you do happen to get sheeped, you’re going to have to trinket and Shadow Word Death the Blind. There is very little room for error against this comp, and even if you play perfectly, there is a good chance your Hunter will still drop.

If the Mage/Rogue team goes for you, have you Hunter CC the rogue and attack the Mage. Trinket the Kidney Shot and hope that you don’t die in a blanket CS. Although most teams don’t go for the Priest, it is still a viable strategy for them especially if the mage is Arcane.

Hunter/Paladin (6): Although it seems like this team should be a Counter, I haven’t had much trouble with it. Similar to DK/Paladin and Warrior/Paladin, your Hunter should be attacking the Hunter while CCing the Paladin. The only difference is that you should drain the Hunter because forcing him to use Aspect of the Viper will greatly decrease the pressure that they are able to apply on you. LoS whenever you’re not burning/dpsing/healing/fearing, and you should be able to score a kill on the Hunter after the Paladins cool downs are used up. You will lose if you run out of mana so make sure that all of your CCs count.

Hunter/Resto Shaman (7): This is similar to Hunter/Paladin, but this time, you have to stomp totems in order to CC the Shaman. Also, hex is very dangerous against this comp, so make sure you have the Shaman in focus the entire fight so you can LoS it when it comes. But again, just DPS the Hunter, making sure to CC the Shaman right after you kill his totems to make sure that they count.

Resto Druid/DK (5): Start off this fight by killing the DK’s pet if he has one. When the Druid gets in LoS, switch DPS to him and play aggressively with dispels, dots, and fears. If you are able to catch him in caster form with a fear, he’s in big trouble. If the Druid manages to get away, switch back to DPSing the DK and wait for the Druid to come back.

Basically, kill the Druid if he’s in LoS. If he’s not, kill the DK.

Feral Druid/Holy Paladin (5): The key to this fight is to force the druid into bear form. Treat this like any other Holy Paladin/Dps team and chain CC the Paladin while dpsing the Druid. Don’t forget your hunter can fear the druid with scare beast. As long as you don’t get destroyed early in the game, it should be an easy win.

Feral Druid/Death Knight (7): This team can be difficult because they can drop you in a few seconds. Have you hunter force the druid into Bear Form and then switch DPS to the Death Knight. If the Druid Switches back into cat form, have your hunter switch back.

Death Knight/Mage (6): This team isn’t too bad as long as you keep everyone topped off. Attack the mage and CC the Death Knight. A good mage will attempt to reset the fight, but do your best to stop him from evocating.

Holy Paladin/Rogue (10): If the people playing this comp are at all competent, you have no chance. The rogue will just sit on you and it’s only a matter of time that you will die. However, a few things I’ve tried (unsuccessfully) are CCing the rogue and playing offensively against the Paladin with a quick Mass Dispel on Bubble, and CCing the Paladin while dpsing and kiting the Rogue on a frost trap. By the time evasion and cloak are used, you’re probably already dead though.

Resto Shaman/Rogue (8): This comp is also very hard to play against if they are competent. In order to win, you need to kill tremors and land a good fear on the Shaman in order to land a kill on the Rogue. However, if you’re getting purged and stun locked, it’s only a matter of time before you bit the dust. One alternate strategy that I’ve used that works on maps with minimal LoS is to CC the rogue and to go fully offensive against the shaman. If you get a good fear on the shaman, there is a chance that you and your hunter will be able to drop him before the rogue bursts you down.

#2 Malacite

Malacite
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Doomhammer
  • Nightfall
  • Talents:

Posted 10 February 2009 - 01:54 AM

Cool thanks for putting this up, we haven't really tried draining the hunter in hunter/pally and it's worked decently (we're 5-2 against that comp). Against Mage/Rogue however, would it be viable to CC the mage and just kill the rogue? I can see that CCing the rogue and forcing the mage to block would be ideal but it always seems like one of us dies before the mage is down.

#3 Frina

Frina

Posted 10 February 2009 - 02:07 AM

Hey, thanks a bunch man, big help.

oh btw, what glyphs r u using? im using glyph of dispell, PW:S, and Psychic Scream.

#4 Squeeshy

Squeeshy
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Rivendare
  • Emberstorm

Posted 10 February 2009 - 03:13 AM

I use dispel, renew, and shield. Going for the rogue isn't as effective because it allows the mage to free cast. Also, the Rogue will most likely be in melee range of the hunter so it's harder for the hunter to dps him.

#5 Malacite

Malacite
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Doomhammer
  • Nightfall
  • Talents:

Posted 10 February 2009 - 03:30 AM

Squeeshy said:

I use dispel, renew, and shield. Going for the rogue isn't as effective because it allows the mage to free cast. Also, the Rogue will most likely be in melee range of the hunter so it's harder for the hunter to dps him.

Yeah it also hurts that I can never seem to get myself another one hander to make use of my weapon chain, i'll end up buying the arena wep if i can't get into a 10 man maly/KT kill.

#6 Bowowner

Bowowner
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Rivendare
  • Emberstorm
  • Talents: Arms

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:58 AM

Malacite said:

Yeah it also hurts that I can never seem to get myself another one hander to make use of my weapon chain, i'll end up buying the arena wep if i can't get into a 10 man maly/KT kill.

The first three items I bought with arena points were three waraxes. Two of which have agility and one with the weapon chain. It's depressing in a way that we have to purchase a seperate weapon and waste arena points just to cater to one class but that's the way it is. I can't even count how many times that 5 seconds off a dismantle won us a game or kept us going. I didn't receive any gear from archavon(and still haven't) so I'm slightly lacking in the resilience section, but the one great thing about hunter's at the moment is how much survivability we have. Honestly I can't see me ever having more then 700 resilience, at least not in this season.

#7 Malacite

Malacite
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Doomhammer
  • Nightfall
  • Talents:

Posted 11 February 2009 - 12:16 AM

I have a decent weapon from Naxx 25 which I use atm. It's a staff called "The Undeath Carrier". Would you recommend I use that for all non-rogue teams or just stick with one handers and swap in a weapon chain for rogue teams?

#8 Gunnolf

Gunnolf
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Shadow

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:25 AM

One thing to note about DK pets, is that they have a very short cd if the dk is unholy. So short that imo it isn't worth killing.
Posted Image
Spoiler

#9 Eowyne

Eowyne
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm

Posted 12 February 2009 - 03:12 PM

You got any tips against lock/shaman? We keep losing that combo because the lock keeps chainfearing us, and when they noticed i used my trinket the get a hex on me and kill 1 of us fast. we normally try to get a cc chain on the shaman and kill the lock but most of the times the fight is to messy to get a decent cc chain. We also seem to have problems with rogue/lock combo, they just cc me and nuke down my hunter, any advice? thanks

#10 Valir

Valir
  • Members
  • Trollclass_name
  • US-Shattered Hand
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Restoration

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:26 PM

Eowyne said:

You got any tips against lock/shaman? We keep losing that combo because the lock keeps chainfearing us, and when they noticed i used my trinket the get a hex on me and kill 1 of us fast. we normally try to get a cc chain on the shaman and kill the lock but most of the times the fight is to messy to get a decent cc chain. We also seem to have problems with rogue/lock combo, they just cc me and nuke down my hunter, any advice? thanks

agreed about lock shaman, and lock paladin for that matter.  

Also your strat vs druid paladin and druid shaman....You can not get a CC chain on either of them.  Abolish and totem and or clense/regular poison clense compltely negates wyvern.  We are sitting around 2200 atm, ended up having to give up because the DK pet bug made dk teams stop queing, and all we caught were Mage rogue, double undead priest rogue, and shaman rogue.

Also lock paladin is ridiculous.  If the lock has good pet control, his pet is next to unkillable, and if they play smart, fears get dispelled, makes it really hard to get a long enough CC chain to take a lock down while losing fears, and avoiding howl.  Only game we won vs lock paladin was when we caught the paladin in a full wyvern, followed by a full fear, due to the devour hitting hunters mark, deterenced deathcoil disengaged past him to avoid howl and got 5/9 es crits.

#11 Squeeshy

Squeeshy
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Rivendare
  • Emberstorm

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:18 AM

Shamans and warlocks are definitely very difficult. Make sure that you kill totems with your mace and that your hunter has totem stomping macros. Although a good shaman can almost always get a tremor down before a fear, he can't spend the entire game spamming tremor, so look out for a good opportunity to land a fear.

Against a lock, make sure to spam dispels as long as UA isn't up. Keep the lock on focus so you can see when he's casting UA  to know when you cant dispel anymore. If you are having trouble killing the pet, don't be tunnel vision, switch to the healer because he's probably spamming heals on the pet. Go offensive on him and force him to LOS...

also against lock teams... PVE gear helps a lot. Not having to worry about mana is pretty incredible. You just have to be very careful about a good cc chain burst. But if you can avoid that and keep yourself and your hunter topped, I believe PVE gear greatly increases your chances against locks.

against druids, every time he shifts to dispel, try to catch him in a fear. but to be honest, i guess i haven't fought many good feral druids on my bg :/

#12 Brisgnr

Brisgnr
  • Members
  • Trollclass_name
  • US-Akama
  • Vengeance

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:20 AM

Same thing here lots of issues with shammy lock

#13 Lieto

Lieto
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Arthas
  • Glutsturm / Emberstorm
  • Talents: Subtlety
  • LocationKyiv. Ukraine.

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:39 AM

Priest/Rogue (6): Priest/Rogue is the only Rogue/Healer team that is consistently beatable by Hunter/Priest. The main reason for this is because Viper Sting destroys Priests. The basic strategy for this match up is to DPS the Rogue and Sting the Priest every time he comes LoS. If the opposing Priest is playing very offensively, it is ok to switch DPS to the Priest, but never follow him around while he uses LoS against you.

Some trouble you may encounter against this comp is if they play very aggressive against you or your Hunter.

1: If they sap your Hunter and Dispel/Focus you, make sure to trinket Kidney Shot and use Pain Suppression as soon as you can. When your Hunter is free from Sap, have him cc the Rogue so you have some time to top off and then start the DPS pressure. Do not mana burn the Priest because it is unnecessary and could put you in a bad position. Simply kite around your Hunter’s frost trap and keep popping instants on yourself. If you need to, spam Holy Nova to keep yourself from dying. The Rogue will quickly drop health if your Hunter CCs the priest and puts full DPS on the Rogue. Have your Hunter save trinket for Blind. If you survive the Rogue’s onslaught, either the opposing Priest will run OOM or the Rogue is dead from your Hunter’s unimpeded barrage of attacks.

And how exactly hunter can cc rogue except for wyvern sting which rogue will trinket?
From my experience fully dispelled priest is going to 50-60% in cheapshot, Then he trinkets, get PS, instantly blinded and killed right after.
Shadowmelding since 2007.

#14 hypermode

hypermode
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Protection

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:00 PM

Lieto said:

And how exactly hunter can cc rogue except for wyvern sting which rogue will trinket?
From my experience fully dispelled priest is going to 50-60% in cheapshot, Then he trinkets, get PS, instantly blinded and killed right after.
4 second scatter and no interupts
masters call-pin+freezing trap=gg rogue
also a good TNT stun does wonders
and Roar of Sacrifice+Intervenes really help aswell

#15 Lieto

Lieto
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Arthas
  • Glutsturm / Emberstorm
  • Talents: Subtlety
  • LocationKyiv. Ukraine.

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:25 PM

ye pin is op :/
Shadowmelding since 2007.

#16 Ryphe

Ryphe
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:48 PM

Lieto said:

then you havent played any good priest/hunter teams
Season 4 gladiator - Priest/Druid/WarlockPosted Image

#17 Polarity

Polarity
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Altar of Storms
  • Nightfall
  • Talents:

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:49 PM

Pretty informative. Hunter/Priest is what I'm running. ^^
Posted Image

#18 Ryphe

Ryphe
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage

Posted 26 February 2009 - 06:32 PM

really great guide :)
Season 4 gladiator - Priest/Druid/WarlockPosted Image

#19 Rah

Rah
  • Members
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • EU-Kil'jaeden
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Retribution

Posted 01 March 2009 - 05:22 PM

Hi

thx Squeeshy for the nice post

do you have any special positions against some combs

e.g. against rogues - priest stands in flare or such things

and how do you keep wining against pala/dk when they play very defensive und u cant really get a cc chain out

we struggle when they keep pillar jumping >_<

thx

#20 hypermode

hypermode
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Protection

Posted 01 March 2009 - 05:35 PM

Rah said:

Hi

thx Squeeshy for the nice post

do you have any special positions against some combs

e.g. against rogues - priest stands in flare or such things

and how do you keep wining against pala/dk when they play very defensive und u cant really get a cc chain out

we struggle when they keep pillar jumping >_<

thx

Rogue-Priest is just basicly survival, if you can survive both evasions and vanishes, you ahve basicly won, you have to assist your priest in any possible way you can (assuming he will go on your priest, crab pets offer alot of utility with their intervenes, roar of sacrifices and their pin ability.

About Hpal-Dk, the only way they can win is if their are either:
a. Blood
b. Can release all their cd's on your priest while his PS and your roar of sacrifice are down.

If scenario a happens, just live trough his runeweapon and try to cc him as best as possible and then go for a kill
If scenario b happens they have either alot of pve gear, insane skills or your unlucky.
If your priest cannot get a fear off on a paladin, espec if he has rocket boots (mine doesn't) you should really consider replacing your priest.
The moment the hpal is feared and bouble/trinket is down, you have basicly won, because even if the DK will hug the pillar, you can easily pin him out and nuke him with the L&L proc you got from trapping the pala

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<