Photo

gladiators, how did you find your arena partners?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 elamalaka

elamalaka
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Discipline 0/1/1/1/0/0
  • 2v2: 1836
  • 3v3: 1916
  • 5v5: 864
  • RBG: 1140

Posted 11 January 2009 - 11:53 PM

how did you find your gladiator material partners? even before I got into pvp / arena, I never thought posting your resume in trade channel was the way to go about it. Any gladiators out there able to prove me wrong? Everyone I have come in contact with does not impress me in the least. I feel like I'm being restricted by my teammates.

Not trying to sound like a smartass but is the saying true?.. "it's not what you know, it's who you know". Does this apply when trying to meet gladiator material people?

#2 Scarra

Scarra
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Arthas
  • Ruin
  • Talents:

Posted 12 January 2009 - 12:05 AM

Instead of using trade chat, try talking to the gladiators you know on your server and ask if they or anyone they know is willing to play with you.

I've found out that usually good players gravitate towards each other. It helps that a lot of my friends are some of the best in the class.

What i've noticed is if you are randomly looking for skilled players, just sit outside org and duel. Eventually you'll be able to recognize good, great, and amazing players.

#3 Crib

Crib
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Bonechewer
  • Reckoning
  • Talents: Restoration

Posted 12 January 2009 - 12:58 AM

I've found out that usually good players gravitate towards each other.

^this

#4 Zeriel

Zeriel
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Moon Guard
  • Emberstorm
  • Talents: Arms

Posted 12 January 2009 - 01:04 AM

It was pretty accidental.

When I met my current partner he wasn't even that great, just an average player, he rerolled paladin in S3 and hit 70 and played as ret, basically just learned to play really quickly and we got ret/war/druid gladiator in S3.

Some people can improve very rapidly if they want to, it's in my experience almost always a matter of attitude, people without egos are great, as-is a desire to succeed.

I guess that's why I don't get along with a lot of "gladiators", most of them are really wound-up, don't like admitting they're wrong, etc.

#5 Staryu

Staryu
  • Members
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Arthas
  • Ruin
  • Talents:

Posted 12 January 2009 - 01:11 AM

I was a trade chat champion =)

Best way I found was to try some players out who are interested
in doing well (check for enchants and other stuff)

Make it known you want to break 2k+

If you are good and play often then people will eventually recognize
that you are good
Hyuh! :cool:

#6 belzaar

belzaar

Posted 12 January 2009 - 02:09 AM

dueling people
Spoiler

#7 Ifrit

Ifrit
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Blackrock
  • Glutsturm / Emberstorm
  • Talents: Combat

Posted 12 January 2009 - 04:30 AM

Knowing ppl who know ppl who also know ppl.
..and then there was silence

Rogue/PvP Blog

#8 Vlada

Vlada
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Holy 0/0/1/2/2/0
  • 2v2: 1985
  • 3v3: 2265
  • 5v5: 2416
  • RBG: 2252

Posted 12 January 2009 - 04:32 AM

my full t6 in s3 found them :<

#9 Cruxis

Cruxis

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:53 AM

Erm, I was already very well known back on my pre-TBC realm, since I did alot of PvP on that realm (including ranking to 14) and alot of my friends + people who I ranked with were all really good players. Out of everyone I played with, about 10 people got Gladiator and around 4-5 got Merc/Venge/Brutal Gladiator too, so it was pretty simple when I already knew a group of people very well who were great players.

Although at first I didn't play with them much, and just found other people through duelling, even as a class that sucks in duels it still worked quite well.

Honestly it doesnt matter what people think of me. I make money playing this game, and soon to be a world champion. stop us if u can.

Salute to the World Champion.

#10 Complex

Complex
  • Members
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • EU-Khadgar
  • Reckoning / Abrechnung
  • Talents: Assassination

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:32 AM

Luck tbh. (arena life story inc ;p )
Quit PvE in March 2008, about half way through S3. I was a Rogue in decent PvE gear with an off-hand glaive (the attention from this probably made a bigger difference more than anything). But a Hunter who ran a 3DPS of X/BM Hunter/Shockadin had just had their mage move team and ended up messaging me asking if I'd be interested in playing with them. Ended up getting 2k for my shoulders in a couple of days and floated between 2000-2100 rating for the rest of season 3.

Same thing happened throughout S4, played 3DPS with the same guys up to around 2k, also played some 2v2 Rogue/Druid but nothing really came of it. Around 10 of us then moved to my current server (although I was reluctant, enjoyed playing against the top players on Cyclone, but I'd have no partner if I'd stayed on that server so I went with the pack.

Khadgar had a pretty decent PvP guild with around 15-20 2200+ players, which I attempted to join but was declined due to having no real credibility, since I hadn't even hit weapon rating by then and wasn't friends with any of the realm's best players. Managed to hit weapon rating in the last month or two of the season but by that time PvE->PvP transfers had been enabled so a lot of players from the top guild were moving to Cyclone/Blackout.

Then out of the blue at around midnight 5 days before the season ended I got a whisper from a guy who wanted to play his mate's account to Gladiator, as he'd moved his main to Stormscale, and was wondering if I wanted to join him and get shoulder/Glad rating while he played his friend's Druid. He said that if I got a little out of my depth after going past 2100 (I'd never been that high) then he'd get a friend to play my account for the last 100 rating.

We played to 2200 with 14 (4 to Double Rogue with KJ weaps) losses and an ~84% win ratio, which I was pretty proud of.
Then about 6 days after Wotlk being released I logged on mid-morning to do my last half bar to level 80 and noticed we had a new Pala in the guild, recognising his name from the Top PvP guild on the server in S4 I enquired about his history and it turned out he played a shaman (and just about every other class) to 2200+ during S4 (he was also the guy that was going to play my account had I been incapable of playing past 2100 in S4) and his warrior mate had quit so I asked if he'd be interested in playing some casual PvP in 2s/3s so we took it from there.

TLDR Version:
Duel people (and win).

If you end up having a conversation to a decent player about PvP, act like you know what you're talking about.

Try and get into a good PvP guild (This is hard atm since PvE is such a big requirement to do well in arena).

Make a big effort to be the best at your class as you can. This includes skirmishing/BGing/Watching Videos.

Migrate to a server with a large PvP community, best way to do this is to bring up random Battlegroups from the armory and look at the server the majority of the top teams are from, then carry research into the servers themselves.

Join a PvE guild that has a handful of good PvPers.

#11 entrails

entrails
  • Members
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Affliction

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:41 AM

I had friends who I was playing with during the honor days who were excellent players, but if I were starting from scratch I'd look for good players dueling, or a guild with a lot of high arena teams, and then get to know those people.

Find the most compatible person willing to play with you and improve as much as you can with them. If you eventually decide that your partner is no longer progressing and you're leaving them behind skill wise, the better you did with them the easier it will be to find a new, better partner. Don't expect your team mates to be amazing as soon as you start playing with them though, as long as they are motivated to improve you should try to make it work and improve.

#12 Tiia

Tiia
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Aegwynn
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Subtlety
  • RBG: 768

Posted 12 January 2009 - 12:01 PM

Guild! Eventhough we are a PVE-Guild and we're on a pretty lame pvp-server i found my arenamate in my guild. True to say, he and i weren't the best pvpplayers.. but we had time and lots of it.. and did arena whenever we could. And with time and practice we improved to gladiator-rank in s4.

Just find someone, who's willing to pvp a lot, collection all honor-items and doesn't get frustrated on a losing-streak. My Arenapartner and me played a looot of games at 2k+ till we finally hit a sure-gladiator-rank. On the last day of playing we had a skypeconversation of 13 hours ;)

What i'm trying to say, if you find someone... make sure they are with you no matter what and wants to improve and play a lot of arena. Doesn't matter if they aren't the best, if they can improve fast. ;)

#13 Azp

Azp
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Darkspear
  • Cyclone
  • Talents: Subtlety

Posted 12 January 2009 - 12:46 PM

A priest transferred over to my raiding guild and wanted to try rogue/priest. I had recently lost my druid so I went for it. Initially we were pretty crap but once we found our niche when I tried mutilate with a couple of crap Kara daggers I had with +2 Beastslaying on them sitting in my bank we hit 2k no problem in S3. We both xferred before the end of S4 though and he didn't come back with me later and instead went off with RL friends. So I ended up just doing lol double rogue with a human rogue who I knew was good enough on this server.

Now I sort of find them extremely easily because I'm the only gladiator ally side on my server (my rogue partner's computer has been broken for a month and a half). On a server this crap with this small of a population it's not hard to sort out the good from the bad. Sigh at being one of the most populated realms but like 65% of the players being below level 60. -.-

#14 Kekeh

Kekeh
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • EU-Defias Brotherhood
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Holy

Posted 12 January 2009 - 03:09 PM

I just asked a friend who rerolled if they wanted to play.
Before you judge someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you judge them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

#15 elamalaka

elamalaka
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Discipline 0/1/1/1/0/0
  • 2v2: 1836
  • 3v3: 1916
  • 5v5: 864
  • RBG: 1140

Posted 13 January 2009 - 12:08 AM

The joining a pve guild with good pvp playerbase is a great idea as well as others that were suggested. I might try to do the whole pve raiding thing again.

once again thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming.

#16 Dryn

Dryn
  • Junkies
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • EU-Frostmane
  • Misery
  • Talents: Arms

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:18 AM

pre-bc premades =)

#17 Lolflay

Lolflay
  • Premium Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Kor'gall
  • Cruelty / Crueldad
  • Talents: Discipline

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:25 AM

Just asked a friend warlock and rogue who lost their partners. They knew I was good shadowpriest coz they saw me play, after one of them stated that I'm only SP they know of that is 2300+ material, who doesn't die in a cheap shot from a rogue, I just asked them. Rest is history.

[13:49:14] Creed: u have 20min to find a healer, going for a jog
[13:49:53] Creed: nothing like running through the bush being chased by wild animals to get a proper workout
[13:50:01] Creed: you europeans and ur silly gyms

#18 Cannigit

Cannigit
  • Junkies
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Daggerspine
  • Cyclone
  • Talents: Restoration

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:49 AM

Used to play BMhunter/Ele shaman with a friend in S3(to 1850 lol) when a friend of mine (warlock) kept looking for healers to get gladiator in 2s, i ended up trying it with me in ele gears (end of S3) and got to like 2100?. In S4 just went straight up to 2.2k with like 10 losses. Now he got deported to indonesia so I'm just chilling playing with random friends.

but I'd say dueling would be the best (if you're good).

#19 Kadrix

Kadrix
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Retribution 2/0/0/1/1/.

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:55 AM

Partners on my last server I met by playing against them in bg's in vanilla/wrath.

Partners on my current server I met through being snatched into their guild from the competing pve one on the server, and a few of them finding out I was a pretty good pvp pally as well.
Posted Image

#20 xergul

xergul
  • Junkies

Posted 13 January 2009 - 02:24 AM

luck in the trade channel lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<