CGS 2v2 Tournament

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

#1 Tyveris

Tyveris
  • Premium Junkies
  • Curse Premium

Posted 06 December 2007 - 04:04 PM

This Saturday, December 8th, the CGS 2v2 Tournament will be played in California with a $30,000 first place prize. The games are starting at 9 AM PST, and will be streaming live at http://www.thecgs.com. Here are the round one matchups:

DnT - Cyclone and Run
HARDEST OUT - wts skill
Ensane - Rapidflame
CTS - nothing special

We will be keeping the site updated with the results as they come in. Best of luck to all the teams that are involved.

#2 Magdain

Magdain
  • Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Balance

Posted 06 December 2007 - 04:24 PM

Haven't seen much regarding it. Is it set class comps for each team?

#3 padrote

padrote
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Lightning's Blade
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Shadow 1/2/0/1/2/2

Posted 06 December 2007 - 05:25 PM

Didn't they learn that yawn-factor was high in 2v2s?

I hope at least one of those teams is shadowpriest + rogue.

#4 Shadowborne

Shadowborne
  • Junkies
  • Goblinclass_name
  • US-Stormscale
  • Cyclone
  • Talents: Affliction

Posted 06 December 2007 - 05:48 PM

[quote name='Magdain']Haven't seen much regarding it. Is it set class comps for each team?[/QUOTE]

Not that I know of, the only person I know that can play another class though is Dhaoss (Warlock) from Hardest Out, from what I hear he is very good at Warrior.

This is from the Blizzcon 2v2 qualifiers, this is the finals from the qualifying rounds 5 months ago.

#5 Neko

Neko
  • Members
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Kil'jaeden
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents:

Posted 06 December 2007 - 06:32 PM

I really really want to see War/Druid mirror match become a Druid VS Druid.

#6 Kuriin

Kuriin
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Kil'jaeden
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Demonology

Posted 06 December 2007 - 07:22 PM

[quote name='Neko']I really really want to see War/Druid mirror match become a Druid VS Druid.[/QUOTE]

wow... amen ROFL
Namechanges:

Lolcharlie -> Kuriin -> Gdragon -> Seungri -> Poohoohoo

#7 Zuin

Zuin

Posted 06 December 2007 - 07:27 PM

GO GO HARDEST OUT.  Dhaoss is the shit, and so is Niqutio.
Thuggish Ruggish Bone.

#8 frst

frst
  • Premium Junkies
  • Curse Premium
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Crushridge
  • Cyclone
  • Talents: Frost

Posted 06 December 2007 - 07:59 PM

Sadly I watched a few of these games at Blizzcon and they are boring as shit.  Most of the matches were pally/lock mirrors since that was the popular comp at the time.  It's just this constant drain/los/banish/dot battle and the only SEMI-exciting one was watching all these clicker warlock/pally teams get wrecked by DnT's warrior.

CGS is dumb, 2v2 dumb, and I'm bias as fuck because I'm a mage.

#9 Shadowborne

Shadowborne
  • Junkies
  • Goblinclass_name
  • US-Stormscale
  • Cyclone

Posted 06 December 2007 - 08:11 PM

[quote name='frst']Sadly I watched a few of these games at Blizzcon and they are boring as shit.  Most of the matches were pally/lock mirrors since that was the popular comp at the time.  It's just this constant drain/los/banish/dot battle and the only SEMI-exciting one was watching all these clicker warlock/pally teams get wrecked by DnT's warrior.

CGS is dumb, 2v2 dumb, and I'm bias as fuck because I'm a mage.[/QUOTE]

Pally/Lock is very slow but it is very strategic, it's 7-10 minutes of wearing out the opposing team and preventing banishes, pet dying, and strategic CC to outlast the other team.

It's not your typical burst set-up and it may seem "boring" but the strategy factor is there.

#10 frst

frst
  • Premium Junkies
  • Curse Premium
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Crushridge
  • Cyclone

Posted 06 December 2007 - 08:30 PM

[quote name='Shadowborne']Pally/Lock is very slow but it is very strategic, it's 7-10 minutes of wearing out the opposing team and preventing banishes, pet dying, and strategic CC to outlast the other team.

It's not your typical burst set-up and it may seem "boring" but the strategy factor is there.[/QUOTE]

It was mainly just really painful because 75% of the teams were clicking almost every spell/party member.  It was just a testament to the abundance of skill, execution, and reaction time that goes into playing warlock/paladin.

#11 Zuin

Zuin

Posted 06 December 2007 - 08:55 PM

[quote name='frst']It was mainly just really painful because 75% of the teams were clicking almost every spell/party member.  It was just a testament to the abundance of skill, execution, and reaction time that goes into playing warlock/paladin.[/QUOTE]

Have you ever thought maybe it takes more skill to click?  Or maybe some people were just used to playing other games like that so its easier for them?  I move with my arrow keys and I click all my spells, so wut it is?
Thuggish Ruggish Bone.

#12 frst

frst
  • Premium Junkies
  • Curse Premium
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Crushridge
  • Cyclone

Posted 06 December 2007 - 08:59 PM

[quote name='Zuin']Have you ever thought maybe it takes more skill to click?  Or maybe some people were just used to playing other games like that so its easier for them?  I move with my arrow keys and I click all my spells, so wut it is?[/QUOTE]

Fact is, it's less efficient and takes longer to do anything by clicking.  Keyboard turning just gets you raped.  Try playing a mage, against a rogue, and click all your spells.  Warlocks are hard to play, that's why clickers get glad, amirite?

#13 Rakeash

Rakeash
  • Members
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • US-Emerald Dream
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Retribution

Posted 06 December 2007 - 10:35 PM

Only a warlock.... /sigh

#14 Tyveris

Tyveris
  • Premium Junkies
  • Curse Premium

Posted 06 December 2007 - 10:43 PM

What is interesting is that they plan to have each round 1 hour after the previous. I could easily see any one of those matches turning into a stalemate. Does anyone know anything about the format? Is it considered a tie after a certain amount of time?

#15 KobK

KobK
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • US-Crushridge
  • Cyclone
  • Talents:

Posted 06 December 2007 - 11:48 PM

Go unstoppable + kobk :P (We are Cts cause cgs is mean and made us change it from Camel Toes =( )

#16 Neko

Neko
  • Members
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Kil'jaeden
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents:

Posted 07 December 2007 - 12:58 AM

I really don't get blizz, from their own words that 2v2 isn't balance and they won't balance it, fine. But why 2v2 tournament not 5v5 (the bracket they claim the most balanced...)

Oh well, they laptop looks pretty nice though =)

EDIT: Actually Blizzard didn't pick the bracket themselves, or I could be wrong. w/e =]

#17 Zuin

Zuin

Posted 07 December 2007 - 01:00 AM

[quote name='frst']Fact is, it's less efficient and takes longer to do anything by clicking.  Keyboard turning just gets you raped.  Try playing a mage, against a rogue, and click all your spells.  Warlocks are hard to play, that's why clickers get glad, amirite?[/QUOTE]

/chuckle
Thuggish Ruggish Bone.

#18 Shadowborne

Shadowborne
  • Junkies
  • Goblinclass_name
  • US-Stormscale
  • Cyclone

Posted 07 December 2007 - 01:34 AM

[quote name='Neko']I really don't get blizz, from their own words that 2v2 isn't balance and they won't balance it, fine. But why 2v2 tournament not 5v5 (the bracket they claim the most balanced...)

Oh well, they laptop looks pretty nice though =)

EDIT: Actually Blizzard didn't pick the bracket themselves, or I could be wrong. w/e =][/QUOTE]

As a company would you rather pay 5 players a team or 2 players per team?

#19 herreth

herreth
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Karazhan
  • Vindication
  • Talents:

Posted 07 December 2007 - 03:13 AM

Ill definitely be watching the tournament really looking forward to it
Playing a Rogue+Disc/Holy Priest combo. And im playing the rogue.

#20 Azzer

Azzer
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Steamwheedle Cartel
  • Glutsturm / Emberstorm
  • Talents: Assassination

Posted 08 December 2007 - 10:29 AM

Is the stream already on? I cant see it :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<