Photo

Chimera Shot is bad.

• Please log in to reply
250 replies to this topic

#41 fatasswilly

fatasswilly
  • Junkies

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:36 PM

not instant cast to kill people, substitute shot for multi shot. (shared CD with aimed remember?).
Frost mages play a game for a perfect cc on healers/magicdispellers to shatter someone with a guaranteeded crit/kill, what kind of combo with steady re you talking about? dazed someone and spam steady while arcane and aimed re on CD to death?

You cant make this kind of comparison mage/hunter.

Obviously a good use from aimed arcanes and how to use steadys make a difference for good/perfect hunter. but you cant make arguments based on that :(

sorry for the horrible english too, its not my first language :(

Well, mages have to CC healers and dispellers because:

1) They have no MS.
2) They rely on shatter for burst, which is dispellable.

However, we have MS, and our burst comes from natural crit, not a dispellable debuff.

Now, a shatter combo consists of a mage casting frostbolt on a target (usually while KS'd, but now also while Deep Freeze'd), casting pet freeze on the target right as frostbolt ends, along with icelance.

This way, both the FB and the icelance benefit from the +50% crit, and the icelance benefits from the 300% damage bonus from the freeze.

So, very simply, a shatter combo is a cast time followed by an instant. This way, both hit the target at the exact same time.

A steady combo is the same thing. Steady shot followed by an instant, either aimed or arcane. A steady combo costs 2 GCD's, just like Chimera Shot does. However, it costs less mana, and does more damage.

Also, I don't need to use a pet ability to achieve my burst, because I have a 65% crit rate on aimed shot, and a 50% crit rate on arcane/steady, heh.

#42 twixz

twixz
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Marksmanship

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:45 PM

Well, mages have to CC healers and dispellers because:

1) They have no MS.
2) They rely on shatter for burst, which is dispellable.

However, we have MS, and our burst comes from natural crit, not a dispellable debuff.

Now, a shatter combo consists of a mage casting frostbolt on a target (usually while KS'd, but now also while Deep Freeze'd), casting pet freeze on the target right as frostbolt ends, along with icelance.

This way, both the FB and the icelance benefit from the +50% crit, and the icelance benefits from the 300% damage bonus from the freeze.

So, very simply, a shatter combo is a cast time followed by an instant. This way, both hit the target at the exact same time.

A steady combo is the same thing. Steady shot followed by an instant, either aimed or arcane. A steady combo costs 2 GCD's, just like Chimera Shot does. However, it costs less mana, and does more damage.

Also, I don't need to use a pet ability to achieve my burst, because I have a 65% crit rate on aimed shot, and a 50% crit rate on arcane/steady, heh.

So why not just steady combo but go steady into aimshot chimera

instead of steady aim arcane...

chimera hits hard without a sting up too...

#43 twixz

twixz
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:47 PM

The only reason not to go chimera is if we can't survive while being chimera spec...

Unless you run a makeup that needs the extra cc from wyvern

GCD issues is not the reason to not go chimera spec

#44 fatasswilly

fatasswilly
  • Junkies

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:47 PM

So why not just steady combo but go steady into aimshot chimera

instead of steady aim arcane...

chimera hits hard without a sting up too...

Because:

1) Chimera shot costs 807 mana. Using it for damage only is bad, I'd rather just lose a bit of damage and use arcane instead.

2) Chim costs 51 points in MM. MM past the 41 pointer is terrible.

#45 fatasswilly

fatasswilly
  • Junkies

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:48 PM

The only reason not to go chimera is if we can't survive while being chimera spec...

Unless you run a makeup that needs the extra cc from wyvern

GCD issues is not the reason to not go chimera spec

GCD is one of the biggest issues for hunters.

It's a huge reason for not going Chim. Using 2 GCD's to spend 807 mana and do 125% weapon damage is NOT worth it.

#46 twixz

twixz
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:52 PM

GCD is one of the biggest issues for hunters.

It's a huge reason for not going Chim. Using 2 GCD's to spend 807 mana and do 125% weapon damage is NOT worth it.

Survivability is the issues for hunters...i didn't know people where having gcd issues...

#47 twixz

twixz
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:55 PM

You also give up chimera shot for 15% agility and 3% crit along with counter attack...

So you can either have 5% ranged wep damage+ chim shot or 15% agility % crit and counter...

We don't have much of a problem kiting melee so counter isn't really necessary...

#48 fatasswilly

fatasswilly
  • Junkies

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:55 PM

Survivability is the issues for hunters...i didn't know people where having gcd issues...

Survivability? Really?

I fail to see how any class with soul link, blink, frost trap, 4 second root, etc etc has survivability issues.

#49 fatasswilly

fatasswilly
  • Junkies

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:56 PM

You also give up chimera shot for 15% agility and 3% crit along with counter attack...

So you can either have 5% ranged wep damage+ chim shot or 15% agility % crit and counter...

We don't have much of a problem kiting melee so counter isn't really necessary...

Ranged Weapon Spec is a PvE talent.

You want crit, not damage modifiers for PvP. That's why I got Killer Instinct and Lightning Reflexes.

#50 Catscratch

Catscratch
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Magtheridon
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Beast Mastery

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:59 PM

Survivability? Really?

I fail to see how any class with soul link, blink, frost trap, 4 second root, etc etc has survivability issues.

This could end up being a humorous quote a few weeks into s1 after we've run into a few double caster teams

#51 twixz

twixz
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:00 PM

Survivability? Really?

I fail so see why we would get good use out of counter attack then...if we have so much

And its magical damage we struggle with and vulnerability in kidneys...RoS/Intervene might help with that if the pet doesn't die...

#52 fatasswilly

fatasswilly
  • Junkies

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:05 PM

I fail so see why we would get good use out of counter attack then...if we have so much

And its magical damage we struggle with and vulnerability in kidneys...RoS/Intervene might help with that if the pet doesn't die...

. . .

I don't go Survival for Counterattack, I go Survival for more crit.

Counterattck is simply a bonus.

#53 twixz

twixz
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:15 PM

So you give up chimera shot and 5% ranged wep damage for 15%agi and 3% crit...

800mana is not a reason to pass up on chimera...regen is super easy with 2 1h's on and gives very little to none down time.

You also pick up effiency when you get chim...10% off all shots over the course of a game will make a difference too.

I agree with some specs that offer other ways perhaps with more cc or survivability but the most on demand burst is in a chim spec. Not a 15% agi and 3% crit spec.

#54 Windwalk

Windwalk
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Burning Blade
  • Vindication
  • Talents:

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:20 PM

Of course hunters have survivability issues. The weakness of the class was that a mage/rogue combo could just sit on them and sometime in a stun we'd spike for 10k and he'd die no matter what.

I remember playing teams where we'd want to switch to the healer from the hunter but we ended winning more games just sitting on the hunter until we got a full kidney on and just gibbing him.

Disengage is good, but you can't use it while stunned afaik and it's probably fairly lame with a snare on you.

#55 fatasswilly

fatasswilly
  • Junkies

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:20 PM

So you give up chimera shot and 5% ranged wep damage for 15%agi and 3% crit...

800mana is not a reason to pass up on chimera...regen is super easy with 2 1h's on and gives very little to none down time.

You also pick up effiency when you get chim...10% off all shots over the course of a game will make a difference too.

I agree with some specs that offer other ways perhaps with more cc or survivability but the most on demand burst is in a chim spec. Not a 15% agi and 3% crit spec.

Ok. Spec Chimera, I don't care that you'll do poorly in arenas.

#56 twixz

twixz
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:27 PM

Ok. Spec Chimera, I don't care that you'll do poorly in arenas.

ok good luck killing a warrior/ret pally/resto sham/holy pally or anything with high armor with your Steady combos...

Shatter combo works cause all the damage ignores armor...

Kinda like chimera shot...

All your attacks get affected by armor it will limit the targets you can kill and is not a good trade off...just letting you know there are alot better specs out there then this one....

#57 Zolz

Zolz
  • Members
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Arcane

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:28 PM

dumb thread

edit stick to warlock please

oh wait you sucked at that to. come to BG9 with your hunter get stomped.

#58 fatasswilly

fatasswilly
  • Junkies

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:29 PM

just letting you know there are alot better specs out there then this one....

I heard this countless times about SL/SL.

Guess what the most popular warlock spec in TBC was?

#59 fatasswilly

fatasswilly
  • Junkies

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:30 PM

dumb thread

edit stick to warlock please

oh wait you sucked at that to. come to BG9 with your hunter get stomped.

I'm playing on Kil'jaeden. BG9 is a joke, I got to 2100 in 2 days on my warlock. Easiest shoulders I've ever gotten.

#60 Zolz

Zolz
  • Members
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Arcane

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:32 PM

na pretty sure you got stomped down

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<