Photo

Chimera Shot is bad.

• Please log in to reply
250 replies to this topic

#1 fatasswilly

fatasswilly
  • Junkies

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:57 AM

I tried it at 70. I tried it at 80. It's a waste of a talent point, and I probably wouldn't use it even if it were baseline.

Why? Let's see . . .

1) It costs 807 mana. Sure, you can restore mana via viper sting, but that pretty much just offsets its ridiculous mana cost, since you'll be using chim shot for disarms, and your viper will be getting dispelled a lot. Which brings me to my next point:

2) Since ret pallies are so common now, and resto shamans are going to be the new best healer, stings will be instantly dispelled, so you'll need to lose crab's 4 second root for scorpid poison if you're dumb enough to go 51 MM.

3) It requires 2 god damned GCD's to use (sting->chim). Wana disarm? Oh, oops, you have to spend 3 seconds just to disarm that warrior for 5 seconds! Oh wait, you spent 807 mana too! Good job!

#2 Keiret

Keiret
  • Junkies
  • Taurenclass_name
  • EU-Al'Akir
  • Blackout
  • Talents: Restoration

Posted 04 December 2008 - 10:10 AM

Ill have to agree somehow. The dispelling part is a big issue : /

#3 mingott

mingott
  • Junkies
  • Trollclass_name
  • EU-Stormreaver
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Marksmanship 0/0/1/2/1/.

Posted 04 December 2008 - 10:18 AM

yeah its totally useless...
1. it sure costs mana but without it mm hunters got no burst at all. It "only" crits for like 4-5k.
2.its totally useless vs priest teams, they just go oom 2x faster.
3. disarm can be a lifesaver.

#4 fatasswilly

fatasswilly
  • Junkies

Posted 04 December 2008 - 10:52 AM

yeah its totally useless...
1. it sure costs mana but without it mm hunters got no burst at all. It "only" crits for like 4-5k.
2.its totally useless vs priest teams, they just go oom 2x faster.
3. disarm can be a lifesaver.

1) No burst at all? Did you not put a point into aimed shot? My Aimed Shot crits for 3.5k, with a 65% crit rate. What's the crit rate on Chim Shot? 35%? Try steady shot combos; spamming instants is not the correct way to play a ranged DPS class. Oh, and like I said, Chimera Shot is a 2 GCD skill. You're using 2 GCD's for your "burst," lol.

2) Priests are going to be the least common healer in s5, and it's not like I'm going to have any sort of problems with them at all anyways. Are you seriously arguing that because Chim Shot is good against priests, a class that I completely penetrate anally as a hunter, yet terrible against shamans, druids, and paladins, it's worth using? Really?

3) Counterattack is much better than disarm. Also, once again, you need to spend 1.5 seconds casting Scorpid Sting before you can disarm. Hardly a "life saver."

#5 Demetrious

Demetrious

Posted 04 December 2008 - 11:19 AM

I thought the scorpid pet was still acceptable for PvP at 80? Or at least, I recall it being listed on some site, either this one or Gameriot, in a list of the 3 top pets (others were crab and... I can't recall.)

If it is, doesn't that factor into your consideration of whether Chimera Shot's susceptibility to dispel is a crippling weakness?

Also, doesn't it depend to an extent on who you're partnered with, and in what bracket you're playing? If your partner can throw a couple magic debuffs or poison debuffs on the target to complement your sting, that makes it more resilient to dispel as well.

Just curious since my Hunter hit 72 yesterday and I'm hoping to have him at 80 around the time that Arenas start back up. Levelling as Marks has addicted me to the playstyle and I'd rather not give up Chimera shot =(

#6 Levidian

Levidian
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Executus
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents:

Posted 04 December 2008 - 01:28 PM

I'm still not sold on chimera for arena we'll see though I'm probably completely wrong.

I'm still feeling a 11/41/19 or 0/41/30 ish type builds.

If I ever see another hunter that is chimera build hes going to be sucking my viper stings on CD every time.
Top 1000 user club: #562
Armchair Blogger - 04/20/2010
http://wowriot.gamer...Reality-Collide

#7 twixz

twixz
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Marksmanship

Posted 04 December 2008 - 05:40 PM

just make sure you at least get 3/3 LnL bro

#8 Magdain

Magdain
  • Premium
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Balance

Posted 04 December 2008 - 05:43 PM

All stings have a debuff duration so your argument for 2 gcds is terrible.

#9 Levidian

Levidian
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Executus
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents:

Posted 04 December 2008 - 06:04 PM

All stings have a debuff duration so your argument for 2 gcds is terrible.

You know how easy it is to get rid of poisons once every 10 seconds right?

#10 Hirim

Hirim
  • Members
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • US-Doomhammer
  • Nightfall
  • Talents:

Posted 04 December 2008 - 06:10 PM

I'm still not sold on chimera for arena we'll see though I'm probably completely wrong.

I'm still feeling a 11/41/19 or 0/41/30 ish type builds.

If I ever see another hunter that is chimera build hes going to be sucking my viper stings on CD every time.

You wouldn't viper sting an opposing hunter first anyway?

#11 Magdain

Magdain
  • Premium
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Balance

Posted 04 December 2008 - 06:13 PM

You know how easy it is to get rid of poisons once every 10 seconds right?

I doubt people will have the luxury of spamming dispel on a scorpid sting in the current state of the game.

#12 Levidian

Levidian
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Executus
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents:

Posted 04 December 2008 - 06:17 PM

You wouldn't viper sting an opposing hunter first anyway?

Depends on team setup

I do think we'll be the best targets for our own bs though.

LOL FORCED INTO AOTV FOR THE ENTIRE MATCH LOL

#13 Repent

Repent
  • Junkies
  • Taurenclass_name
  • EU-Eldre'Thalas
  • Vengeance / Rache
  • Talents: Restoration

Posted 04 December 2008 - 06:35 PM

and aotv = less avoidance = insta gib

edit, was just completing why forcing opponent to aotv = WIIIIN
:D

#14 Levidian

Levidian
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Executus
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents:

Posted 04 December 2008 - 06:43 PM

and aotv = less avoidance = insta gib

and depending on spec/glyphs its also 5% more damage taken and loss of reactive speed boosts.

Force hunter into AotV > Ram > Win

#15 Levidian

Levidian
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Executus
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents:

Posted 04 December 2008 - 06:44 PM

I doubt people will have the luxury of spamming dispel on a scorpid sting in the current state of the game.

Why would a hunter want to keep up a scorpid sting?

#16 Demetrious

Demetrious

Posted 04 December 2008 - 06:53 PM

and depending on spec/glyphs its also 5% more damage taken and loss of reactive speed boosts.

Force hunter into AotV > Ram > Win

I think you're exaggerating here. Yeah, if you wait until you're completely OOM and then use AOTV you might be in trouble. But why wouldn't you switch it on before then? Or at least recognize that you're getting low and adjust your positioning defensively?

Pretty much every class that has a mana bar, even warlocks, knows that you have to be careful when you're getting low, because you can be put into a bad position. Smart mana conservation should allow you to work around the loss of mitigation from using AOTV.

#17 Vec

Vec
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Illidan
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Survival 2/0/1/2/2/0
  • RBG: 1752

Posted 04 December 2008 - 07:02 PM

While on the subject of different specs, does anyone else think it might be a good idea to use some sort of BM spec early in the season? Myself along with most others will be running around with little resil, and it seems BM will help with survivability and good burst at least for shorter games.

#18 Levidian

Levidian
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Executus
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents:

Posted 04 December 2008 - 07:10 PM

I think you're exaggerating here. Yeah, if you wait until you're completely OOM and then use AOTV you might be in trouble. But why wouldn't you switch it on before then? Or at least recognize that you're getting low and adjust your positioning defensively?

Pretty much every class that has a mana bar, even warlocks, knows that you have to be careful when you're getting low, because you can be put into a bad position. Smart mana conservation should allow you to work around the loss of mitigation from using AOTV.

AotV reduces our damage by MORE THAN 50%. Part of winning arenas is about forcing another team defensive and forcing their healers to ... heal. The most dangerous thing you can encounter in many situations is a healer that is able to assist in his teams offensive pressure/control.

There is no exaggerating the FACT that you will be losing 18% dodge, 30% run speed on dodge, and 300+ attack power EVERY time you want to get some mana back.

Working on regen between kill pushes is something easily done when you're not being focused but when you are the target the other team is trying to sit down switching to aotv can be a very painful experience.

#19 Levidian

Levidian
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Executus
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents:

Posted 04 December 2008 - 07:11 PM

While on the subject of different specs, does anyone else think it might be a good idea to use some sort of BM spec early in the season? Myself along with most others will be running around with little resil, and it seems BM will help with survivability and good burst at least for shorter games.

Some people are getting a hard on about some TBW/Aimed/Scatter builds.
It's really hard to theory craft we'll probably just have to start with whatever we think will be good and adjust to what actually works per feedback.

#20 fatasswilly

fatasswilly
  • Junkies

Posted 04 December 2008 - 07:21 PM

I thought the scorpid pet was still acceptable for PvP at 80? Or at least, I recall it being listed on some site, either this one or Gameriot, in a list of the 3 top pets (others were crab and... I can't recall.)

If it is, doesn't that factor into your consideration of whether Chimera Shot's susceptibility to dispel is a crippling weakness?

Also, doesn't it depend to an extent on who you're partnered with, and in what bracket you're playing? If your partner can throw a couple magic debuffs or poison debuffs on the target to complement your sting, that makes it more resilient to dispel as well.

Just curious since my Hunter hit 72 yesterday and I'm hoping to have him at 80 around the time that Arenas start back up. Levelling as Marks has addicted me to the playstyle and I'd rather not give up Chimera shot =(

Scorpid is necessary only if you're going 51 into MM. Otherwise, crab is superior by far; a 4 second root that's not on GCD is godly. This is the major factor in killing Chim Shot for me, losing the 4 second root.

And yes, I suppose that team makeup factors in to this, but rogues are the only other class that can apply poison. Chimera shot would be less bad if you have a rogue teammate, but you're still restricted to Chim Shotting your burn target only, unless you want to waste 3 seconds, 807 mana, and your "OMG ONLY MM BURST SHOT" to disarm that warrior that's smashing your skull in or something. For 5 seconds.

Magic debuffs do not protect poisons.

I can see Chim shot working IF you have a rogue teammate, but I'd still rather skip it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<