Photo

Boomkin PvP Builds

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Tyveris

Tyveris
  • Premium Junkies

Posted 28 November 2008 - 03:51 AM

Ok, having a tough time deciding what to do here. Please keep in mind I'm not a very experienced druid. I've narrowed it down to 3 builds.

59/0/12 - http://www.wowhead.c...iIoId0AkRuZcbIz
Assuming PvP gear won't have much spirit on it and I will be out of form part of the time, I passed on Imp Moonkin, Master Shapeshifter, and Intensity. One point into Eclipse just for that RNG that could win a game.

55/0/16 - http://www.wowhead.c...IoId0AzRuZcbfub
54/0/17 - http://www.wowhead.c...IoId0AzRuZcbIub
Seems fairly common. Basically variations on the same build that pickup intensity and master shapeshifter. Points moved around between Brambles, Moonglow, and Subtlely. Always a min of 2 in subtlety.

My question being, which of the sets are better. If my assumptions about gear and playstyle are correct for the 59/0/12 build, it seems the way to go. If not, then 55/0/16 or 54/0/17 seem better. Let me know your thoughts/experience. I will be giving them both a go in the meantime to see how they feel.

#2 wisdomcube

wisdomcube
  • Junkies
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Blackrock
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Restoration

Posted 28 November 2008 - 05:05 AM

No reason not to drop 2 in brambles to finish off eclipse. Crits win games.

#3 nubmadri

nubmadri
  • Junkies
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 01 December 2008 - 06:56 PM

but but but treants are OP

#4 Guest_Alphatier_*

Guest_Alphatier_*

Posted 02 December 2008 - 05:56 PM

There has never been spirit on moonkin gear yet it provided a lot of longetivity.
I'll have to wait for lvl 80 arenas to see if burst like in 3.0 is still king, if not, intensity will still be a good talent. Imp. Moonkin however is not.
Moonglow is almost a must

#5 Skipt

Skipt
  • Members
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents:

Posted 03 December 2008 - 05:48 AM

yo Tyv, I think i'm gonna go with this spec as an all around spec!

http://www.wowhead.c...iIoIkhAuouZcbfu

I really like Eclipse because I usually spam wrath until a 4 piece set bonus proc comes up. And if it procs with Eclipse, then that .9~ second starfire is just going to rip something apart with the extra crit chance that it has from eclipse.

I'd probably end up taking 3 points out of improved moonkin form for 2/2 Gale winds and maybe 2/3 brambles but who knows! we'll see Dec 17 right?

#6 Slappywag

Slappywag
  • Junkies

Posted 13 December 2008 - 02:16 AM

I am really really not a good Druid by any means (in fact, I dinged like 20 mins ago), but by glancing at the tree, surely 2/2 Imp Moonfire could be dropped for 3/3 Eclipse in the first build? That's probably what I'm going to run.
Posted Image

#7 Moldo

Moldo
  • Junkies
  • Taurenclass_name
  • EU-Frostmourne
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Balance

Posted 16 December 2008 - 12:37 AM

64/0/7 - http://www.wowhead.c...uiIoIdhAuRuZcbb

Dont see why you would spend more than 7~8 points in resto. Only talent thats not about mana efficiency is Master Shapeshifter (~70 sp in S5 gear).

All you lose compared to sth. like 55/0/16 is 45 spellpower considering you have no spirit on your gear and no motw or any other spirit buff. In exchange you get huge moonfire crits, improved treants, some haste and sp for you and your mates and eclipse, which can be awesome (think of 0.7s starfires on a 60%+ crit chance)

Basically, you get everything you'd want from the balance tree and since Resilience will reduce the critrate by ~11% (below BC Cap) even on a full deadly priest with full resilience gems and enchants, I dont think games will last very long until season 6, rendering natural shapeshifter, OoC and Intensity useless.

I'll just respec as soon as games last long enough to get me oom, but considering the offensive setups I'm going to play, I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

#8 Skipt

Skipt
  • Members
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents:

Posted 16 December 2008 - 05:29 AM

64/0/7 - http://www.wowhead.c...uiIoIdhAuRuZcbb

Dont see why you would spend more than 7~8 points in resto. Only talent thats not about mana efficiency is Master Shapeshifter (~70 sp in S5 gear).

All you lose compared to sth. like 55/0/16 is 45 spellpower considering you have no spirit on your gear and no motw or any other spirit buff. In exchange you get huge moonfire crits, improved treants, some haste and sp for you and your mates and eclipse, which can be awesome (think of 0.7s starfires on a 60%+ crit chance)

Basically, you get everything you'd want from the balance tree and since Resilience will reduce the critrate by ~11% (below BC Cap) even on a full deadly priest with full resilience gems and enchants, I dont think games will last very long until season 6, rendering natural shapeshifter, OoC and Intensity useless.

I'll just respec as soon as games last long enough to get me oom, but considering the offensive setups I'm going to play, I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

depends on who you are playing with really. I'll be playing with a priest in 2v2 so the OoC/intensity build helps me a lot

#9 Chumpjohn

Chumpjohn
  • Members
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Blackrock
  • Bloodlust

Posted 17 December 2008 - 06:01 PM

I believe that the spec I am currently using is the most versatile and powerful.

http://www.wowhead.c...IoId0AuRuZbxczb

nature's grace is VERY overrated and I don't believe it is even close to as powerful as brambles.

in my current arena teams all we have to do is get treants out and pop heroism. They hit cloth for ~900, totally OP.

I chose to take master shapeshifter over imp moonkin form because I currently have only ~400 spirit and that will go straight down as I aquire deadly gladiator gear.

I STRONGLY suggest using moonfire / insect swarm glyph, and I personally chose starfall as my third but innervate would also be acceptable depending on your comp.

#10 Duncan

Duncan
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Illidan
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Fury 1/1/2/0/1/0
  • RBG: 2511

Posted 17 December 2008 - 06:17 PM

I believe that the spec I am currently using is the most versatile and powerful.

nature's grace is VERY overrated and I don't believe it is even close to as powerful as brambles.

in my current arena teams all we have to do is get treants out and pop heroism. They hit cloth for ~900, totally OP.

I chose to take master shapeshifter over imp moonkin form because I currently have only ~400 spirit and that will go straight down as I aquire deadly gladiator gear.

I STRONGLY suggest using moonfire / insect swarm glyph, and I personally chose starfall as my third but innervate would also be acceptable depending on your comp.

isnt it worthless to put two points in moonfire crit if you use the glyph, also in 2v2 seems like putting points in mana conserving talents is uneeded atm, or dreamstate to me i normally win before i go oom or just innervate and takes me back up especially with a few of my offpieces being pve still, and the innervate glyph.

#11 Chumpjohn

Chumpjohn
  • Members
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Blackrock
  • Bloodlust

Posted 17 December 2008 - 07:07 PM

Increases the damage and critical strike chance of your Moonfire spell by 10%.

I believe that dreamstate is more valuable than imp moonkin form or genesis.

My moonfire currently ticks for 1200+ in pvp w/ earth and moon up.

#12 Duncan

Duncan
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Illidan
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Fury 1/1/2/0/1/0
  • RBG: 2511

Posted 17 December 2008 - 07:21 PM

good call clearly i read my talents closely...lol

#13 nubmadri

nubmadri
  • Junkies
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 18 December 2008 - 12:59 AM

brambles is op, but so is nature's grace imo, especially early on when we are critting so often on targets with 100 resil. even with it usually being unexpected (unless it procs off moonfire) and often wasted on a slightly faster wrath, it still sets up spikier damage or faster cyclones enough that i'm taking it over the 70ish mp5 of dreamstate for now. obviously, if i find myself losing to oom i'll reconsider, but for now id prefer nature's grace.

also, your 13 in resto tree is interesting in that you didn't tkae any cyclone pushback resist. i hadnt ever considered not putting points into that (knee-jerk speccing it basically) and i'm interested to hear your rationale for bypassing it on the way up.

#14 Chumpjohn

Chumpjohn
  • Members
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Blackrock
  • Bloodlust

Posted 18 December 2008 - 06:58 PM

My reasoning is that I simply don't feel that another anti-pushback talent is necessary. If something is attacking you, which would be the only time that nature's focus is useful, you are VERY likely going to have owlkin frenzy up. If you are in regular caster form it is probably because you were stunned or something and could not get into moonkin form, so you should have activated barkskin during that stun / fear / w/e. Getting nature's grace instead of dreamstate would be acceptable for some comps, but I don't feel that it would help me very much.

#15 Kap

Kap
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Korgath
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Survival

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:58 PM

Why would you use the moonfire glyph in PvP? You dont' want to lose the front load damage you get from moonfire at the moment.

I've been playing with Starfall, Starfire, and IS glyph. Once the games get longer probably want to drop Starfire for the innervate glyph.

Here's my pvp spec :

http://www.wowhead.c...IoczhAuRuZcbIzb

You pretty much get everything you need for PvP. Games shouldn't be lasting long enough for mana to be an issue (atleast in 5's where I use this spec). Depending on the hit on your current gear, you may need to get balance of power.

#16 Kluian_

Kluian_
  • Junkies
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Korgath
  • Vengeance

Posted 29 December 2008 - 09:47 AM

Has anyone tried this for more survivability? (basing on your comp having a healer)

http://www.wowhead.c...IoczhAuRuVbhoZc

When getting zerged down just go bear, barkskin, primal tenacity, and frenzied rejuv(20% more heal glyph). That should be nearly equivalent to an out for the time being unless your healer is locked out.

There are also some excess points in Balance which could be moved to resto if desired.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<