Photo

Going enhancement over elemental - hear me out.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Specineff

Specineff
  • Members
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Elemental

Posted 30 August 2007 - 10:55 PM

I am seriously considering switching to Enhancement next season. My team runs Warrior/Lock/Shaman/Priest/Paladin currently. After playing elemental in 3v3's and 5v5's I've come up with a list of Pros/Cons:

Pros:
1. Maintains higher defenses vs melee classes by using a shield and specing 3/3 Elemental Shields.
2. Magical damage means you can beat up heavily armored targets: Warrior, Paladin, Druid.
3. Still maintains some potential healing ability through nature switfness and +healing from spell dmg gear.
4. Ranged damage abilities negate being kited.

Cons:
1. Casting is easily pushed back by pets and other forms of damage. This is somewhat mitigated when playing arena with a Paladin assuming they have imp. conc. aura. This gives your target more time to counter your cast or get behind line of sight.
2. Vulnerability to compelte close out by counter-spell and felhunter when casting damage spells.
3. Can't kill pets very quickly, can't kill the felhunter dispelling/CSing all your shit.
4. Can't even put a dent in warlocks. It'll be like "lol 724 lightning bolt on that lock even though I have 830 spell dmg"

I have noticed that many teams in 5v5 and 3v3 are switching over to magical DPS over melee. Granted warriors are still used a lot, but I find it more and more often my team is facing mage/lock. It is extremely frusrating to face this combo in arena seeing as how they are so good as closing out all of my spell casting. Most people know that if they leave the Elemental Shaman free to cast they will reign havoc on their team.

The biggest complaint against enhancement spec is that your much more squishy with no shield on. With full arena gear most shaman will have about 38% damage mitigation through mail armor. Mitigation the squishiness requires a change in play style. I have been playing on PTR a lot these last few weeks. While arena on PTR is not an exact mirror of live it does provide some insight into this idea.

Usually starting off in a match I'll have a spell dmg weapon equiped and my gladiator shield on, with a water shield up until the fight starts. If I become focused by melee, I keep my shield on and winfury/stormstrike with my main-hand up. I figure this is better than spamming shocks and/or getting closed out and running myself out of mana as elemental. If I'm not being focused I get up next to a caster with my shield on - then switch over duel wield and catch them off guard - give em the stormstrike/windfury treatment - Even if I'm being focused by casters I can still keep duel wield out. I did some math, with 3/5 S3 and 2/5 S2 armor on and a S2 shield, specced 5/5 toughness I should have around 13,000 armor - 54.5% mitigation.

Seems like it could work, I have seen it work for other shaman in similar rated teams. *sigh* or maybe I should just spec resto so I can be bored out of my mind.
TEAM NASTY

#2 Plaga

Plaga
  • Members
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Stormscale
  • Cyclone

Posted 31 August 2007 - 05:35 AM

Umm....seems like your only cons are soul link warlocks with their 30% damage reduction and 70 resists to all. Let me tell you, as enhance I'm not really fond of em either. If you are in fact hellbent on going enhance then make sure you got the gear for it and I might suggest waiting till 2.3 for our buffs. Mana may not pose as big of a theat to enhance as it does ele but it still hurts me at time. Being able to drop a fire nova, stormstrike, and full rank earthsock on a pally helps a whole lot more than stormstriking if your watershield has procced and a rank 1 earthshock when he tries to heal. Pretty sure 5/5 toughness is a HUGE wast of talent points as well. All in all, try enhance out get kited then spec back to ele. Hell if you like enh stay with it then.
I have two weapons and 2>1 obviously.

#3 Arashikage

Arashikage

Posted 31 August 2007 - 07:53 AM

I`ve been enh shaman 200 days of my 250 days played, and I enjoyed this spec. Anyway, when it was gimped into oblivion, I was forced to respec into elem to stand at least a little chanse in pvp vs other classes.

But since the end of season 1, when my team started to play at high raitings I`ve been constatnly asking myself: what if I can respec in enh? What will happen than?

Unlike warriors/rogues/mages shamans can not respec untill they collect another gear set for themselves... At the moment I already have full s2 elem gear, 5k poins saved and s1 enhance gloves. I wonder if it is worth spending them on enh gear or not... QQ

Well, lets have some more pros and cons.

I will be kited. I will be kited like hell. A few weeks on playing enh at ptr proved me that.
They lock me down if I elem.. they kite me if I enhance.
That WF procs and crits are realy random. My lightning hits for 1800. 2 seconds cast time. 1.4 seconds with bloodlust. + ns-em when needed. Timed and controlled burst will be lost, and I`m afraid nothing in enh tree can replace it.

But.

Being free of mana is like being free of chains. Elemental can dps for a less than a minute, than he is oom. Enh has shamanistic rage with 2 minutes cd. Can be used twice in battle.
Purge and DPS at the same time. And restomp your totems while beating the living shit out of that macrosed felhunter, who semi-automatic eats them. That is GODLIKE!
WF procs... If WF procs on a cloth, the cloth wearer is already in danger. Random bursts stresses enemy healers, WF proc from shaman + SS + wf proc from warrior + MS - consider your target dead. GG no re. (Ofcause I`m gohha use 2hander, duals are not an option for pvp. Only PvEer use them. Ofcause, duals are easyly to be used with shield, But 3 seconds WF cooldown is still there. Sudden burst potential is gimped for duals.)

Well, I wrote that wall of text instead of just typing +1.
Need real enh shamans opinions. I`m just noobish theorycrafter.

PS: goblin rocket boots x-treme = elemental shaman`s chaaaaarge.
those, who hunt elves.

#4 Specineff

Specineff
  • Members
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall

Posted 31 August 2007 - 05:50 PM

Yeah I'm working on capping out my honor and I only have one more piece of glad gear to get for my Elemental setup. I could prolly get 2 pieces of S2 enhancement and still bank 5k arena points. When S3 goes live just pick up the honor epics and 3 pieces of enhancement gear.

Yeah I mean I don't spam full rank earth shocks unless its actually to kill someone, I use a foucs macro with rank 1 earthshock. I have 829 spell damage and I only hit lightning bolts for about 1400 and 2200-2600 on crits depending on who I'm zapping. Against warlocks its like, lol, 1500 CRIT. Whenever my team faces a SL lock we will try to take out the pet real fast, then purge the Fel Domination so they can't get a 2nd one out. Hitting felhunters with magical damage isn't very effective. I'd be able to solo the lock pet in about 3 seconds and that way my warrior can stay on a different target.
TEAM NASTY

#5 falo4uduh

falo4uduh
  • Members
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Blackwing Lair
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Enhancement

Posted 12 September 2007 - 04:10 AM

I 5v5 as enhance at 2161 rating, but just comparing the pros and cons I believe there is more success for elemental shamans especially in 5s and 3s as they can fit easier than enhance as they're not as "gear dependent" as enhance is(at least in my opinion being enhance) some basics of me are while I do raid as enhance in a bt/hyjal guild I have a very "loose" pvp spec in which I gave up mental quickness and some dodge to gain improved grounding as well as 5/5 healing focus(70% chance to avoid interruption while casting healing spells) so currently it's 0/42/19. This way I don't have to respec to raid and then to pvp etc. I do prefer shamanistic rage over nature's swiftness because if you look at enhance gladiator gear s1/s2 there is seriously no intellect! Only piece is the legs so we have a very small mana pool as it is. And by the time you'd need to NS heal yourself you're almost OOM from SS + shocks depending how close u get a target to dead. So I usually pop that mid fight as well as my +ap trinket and regain a good deal of mana. Also, when they ever buff the enhancement talents and shamanistic rage does 30% damage reduction, I'll be used to this spec anyways.

we run ms war/frost mage/pally/resto sham/me.

Our strat is kinda this: our resto shaman gives me earth shield and I start with a healing mace + kara shield so I "look resto" and I'm on my kodo. He goes ghostwolf and hides under me. However, I'm sure any decent player can look at my mana bar and see "6k mana! he's not resto!" My role is to assist the warrior drop grounding or wf depending on caster/melee team. Earthbind if needed, tremor up close as well as an "offensive" purge the second the target gets bop'd it is usually off. In practice I've actually been able to run in get on the target, and they haven't realized I'm not resto/elemental until I use my macro to pull out my 2h or dw depending on the target.

Anyways I'm sure I'm not the ONLY enhancement shaman here, but it does look slim and I'll be glad to answer any and all questions based on experiences I've had. Hope to help if possible! cya! :D

edit: bear with the wall of text :P
Count OLAF
Posted Image

#6 Fathertime/Ykoops

Fathertime/Ykoops
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Bonechewer
  • Reckoning

Posted 13 September 2007 - 02:18 PM

@ Falothor

>_< certainly one of the highest rated enhancement shaman's I've seen, gj.

I think if you are going to spec enhancement you have to play like Falothor and just catch people by surprise. Any time I ever see an Enhancement shaman I send my team to tear it apart. If played well it could definetly throw people off, but imo if you face the same team over and over they might exploit the fact that your enhancement and punish you accordingly. Now in 2.3(hopefully) with Shamanistic rage getting buffed to include damage reduction it might help, but you'll have to wait and see.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 falo4uduh

falo4uduh
  • Members
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Blackwing Lair
  • Nightfall

Posted 13 September 2007 - 02:31 PM

@ Falothor

>_< certainly one of the highest rated enhancement shaman's I've seen, gj.

I think if you are going to spec enhancement you have to play like Falothor and just catch people by surprise. Any time I ever see an Enhancement shaman I send my team to tear it apart. If played well it could definetly throw people off, but imo if you face the same team over and over they might exploit the fact that your enhancement and punish you accordingly. Now in 2.3(hopefully) with Shamanistic rage getting buffed to include damage reduction it might help, but you'll have to wait and see.

Totally. We played a double warrior rogue team a few times. First time we caught them offguard as they didn't know I was enhance. Second match became interesting. I start with my healing mace/shield(to throw them off ofcourse ~_~) but they already knew I was enhance so I switched to my MH + shield and kept it on. I had two warriors and a rogue FFing me, and I dont know how but our pally and resto shaman managed to keep me up and we killed the priest. I didn't die that match. We got them a 3rd time and they gave up on trying to FF me lol XD. I agree 100% 2.3 should make it interesting in Arena with full buffs + water walking + breathing SR may take a good while to purge/dispell off and flurry throws them off as it's the same animation(red glowing hands) so unless they pay attention to the face who knows ~_~
Count OLAF
Posted Image

#8 Shieldman

Shieldman
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Bloodfeather
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Restoration

Posted 07 October 2007 - 06:58 PM

The moment you pull out your off hand that warrior WILL intercept you and break your face, along with his entire team. I can almost hear the echoes of "GET THE ENHANCMETN SHAMAN!!!" roaring through dark basements.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<