#1 Mekila

Mekila
  • Junkies
  • Goblinclass_name
  • US-Spinebreaker
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Blood

Posted 19 November 2008 - 06:04 PM

DK's have been getting a tarnished reputation as tanks, mostly due to lack of knowledge and gear. So to help you new DK's out, here is what I've been using to pull and aoe tank in 5-man instances:

In frost presence:

Death and Decay, Icy touch, Plague strike, [Death grip any ranged mob out of pestilence range], Pestilence, Blood Tap, Blood Boil.

You should have aggro on all the mobs. Pop Icebound Fortitude if you are taking too much damage, if you are ok on HP just Death coil for more deeps. If its all casters, use Anti-magic Shell instead.

Once your assisted target dies, switch to another and immediately Pestilence (should have both diseases up on it for a few seconds at least), Blood boil, Obliterate/Scourge/Death strike/Howling Blast.

Should be easy after 2 mobs are down, just rinse and repeat.

If you fail and press the wrong button, you will be locked out of that school for 10 seconds, so don't screw up or you will lose aggro. For example, if you hit blood strike instead of pestilence, you will now be unable to spread your diseases for 10 seconds. No disease on mobs means no blood boil and you can potentially lose aggro on multiple mobs, resulting in your healer dying.

Practice the rotation and tanking should be fairly easy.

#2 Krigare

Krigare
  • Members
  • Goblinclass_name
  • US-Emerald Dream
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Protection

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:10 PM

Yeah I've been hearing that a lot of dks fail big time at aoe tanking but I thought it was pretty obvious how it worked when I first saw pestilence and blood boil. Not to mention it says "this ability causes a lot of threat" on D&D's tooltip.

Personally I think our aggro is so crazy that someone has to go all out on something I'm not even targeting to gain aggro. Guildies I've grouped with love it. A shadowpriest told me I was the first tank he has ever been able to go all out on. Regardless, tanking as a DK is 100x more fun than on a warrior and besides a few low tier talents it isnt really based on spec.

#3 Steamboat

Steamboat

Posted 19 November 2008 - 10:13 PM

whats the tanking roatation for a single target? I haven't tried tanking yet because I know I don't know what I am doing.

#4 Krigare

Krigare
  • Members
  • Goblinclass_name
  • US-Emerald Dream
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Protection

Posted 19 November 2008 - 10:20 PM

whats the tanking roatation for a single target? I haven't tried tanking yet because I know I don't know what I am doing.

Same as a single target dps rotation. If you want D&D thrown in there for the extra threat it does do the same as the aoe rotation but use the blood runes for something other than blood boil and pestilence. I'm not sure the extra threat D&D gives to a single target is worth it over the dps (threat) loss though.

#5 Steamboat

Steamboat

Posted 20 November 2008 - 03:02 AM

wow so just DPS and let frost presence do the work? that seems imba for 5-10 mans

#6 Abeyance

Abeyance
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Bleeding Hollow
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Holy 0/0/0/0/2/.

Posted 20 November 2008 - 03:06 AM

wow so just DPS and let frost presence do the work? that seems imba for 5-10 mans

/nod

Tanking as a DK is pretty easy and AOE is your friend. And damn, I think its pretty funny that tanking a single target is merely what you listed above.

Plus having AMS, IBF, (Blood Tap possibly), pretty much every pull (or every other if you are chain pulling), is pretty OP.

#7 faction

faction
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Shadow

Posted 20 November 2008 - 03:25 AM

theres no tanking rotation, it's "mash aoe abilities with frost presence on (especially d&d)"

using this strat, i've tanked everything upto 80 instances
Posted Image

#8 nubbey

nubbey
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Unholy

Posted 20 November 2008 - 07:11 AM

i've tanked naxx with that strat lo
Proud member of the best 2345-moonkin team ever assembled.

#9 fulhamxd

fulhamxd
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • EU-Kor'gall
  • Cruelty / Crueldad
  • Talents: Holy

Posted 20 November 2008 - 10:46 AM

Death and Decay, Icy touch, Plague strike, [Death grip any ranged mob out of pestilence range], Pestilence, Blood Tap, Blood Boil.

errrm?

DnD -> Pestilence -> Bloodboil is 3 blood runes, unless you're doing that over a 10sec period, Blood Tap converts a blood rune to a death rune, not a frost/unholy for blood.

Just dnd -> 2 diseases -> pestilence, I find when my next bloodrune is up its better to refresh pestilence and then bloodboil if necessary (rune tap in frost presence is decent aggro esp if you glyph it for party healing).

Tanking on a DK is a pissrip, even on heroics and naxx 10man, yet to try 25 tho

#10 Abeyance

Abeyance
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Bleeding Hollow
  • Ruin

Posted 20 November 2008 - 11:15 AM

Blood Tap refreshes the CD as well as turning it into a Death Rune.

#11 fulhamxd

fulhamxd
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • EU-Kor'gall
  • Cruelty / Crueldad

Posted 20 November 2008 - 01:56 PM

Ooh I see, is that a bug? Cant see it being as intended :P

#12 faction

faction
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Shadow

Posted 20 November 2008 - 02:12 PM

read the tooltip
Posted Image

#13 Weepy

Weepy
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Al'Akir
  • Blackout
  • Talents: Assassination 2/1/2/2/0/1
  • 2v2: 1752

Posted 20 November 2008 - 02:16 PM

theres no tanking rotation, it's "mash aoe abilities with frost presence on (especially d&d)"

Thats how its done :cool:

#14 uglykobald

uglykobald
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents:

Posted 20 November 2008 - 06:44 PM

Yea, its cake. I found the only issue is when you use the wrong ability and are screwed for 10 seconds. Also, The cd animations seem bugged. I keep seeing things on cooldown that aren't. I think its usually after I use that ability to turn a blood rune into a death rune. I noticed it the most when trying to reapply death and decay.

#15 Abeyance

Abeyance
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Bleeding Hollow
  • Ruin

Posted 20 November 2008 - 07:16 PM

As faction said, the first two words of Blood Tap are:

Immediately activates...

#16 Mekila

Mekila
  • Junkies
  • Goblinclass_name
  • US-Spinebreaker
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Blood

Posted 20 November 2008 - 11:21 PM

As faction said, the first two words of Blood Tap are:

Immediately activates...

Hence why this post was needed :P

It may be easy for you guys, but the average player is struggling, wondering why he can't cast Death and Decay while his 'mana' bar is full.

Hell, I've had people tell me they don't spec butchery because 'my runic power is always at 100'. -_-

#17 Abeyance

Abeyance
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Bleeding Hollow
  • Ruin

Posted 21 November 2008 - 02:39 AM

Hence why this post was needed :P

It may be easy for you guys, but the average player is struggling, wondering why he can't cast Death and Decay while his 'mana' bar is full.

Hell, I've had people tell me they don't spec butchery because 'my runic power is always at 100'. -_-

I had a guy tell me I couldn't tank an instance b/c I was Unholy and not Frost. I thought he may have confused specs with Presences, but he hadn't. Thankfully people like this are few and far between.

#18 Final

Final

Posted 21 November 2008 - 06:43 AM

Lot of idiots out there. Bad dks and idiots that don't think dks can tank.

LOL

sig anyone?

#19 fulhamxd

fulhamxd
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • EU-Kor'gall
  • Cruelty / Crueldad

Posted 21 November 2008 - 09:16 AM

Yea, well urgh my excuse is I didn't play beta! :P

I kind of misread it as "activates the rune into a death rune", not activates it *and* it becomes a death rune, pro stuff, now i'll have to find a decent keybind for it =/

Anyone else struggling for binds?

#20 Dynimight

Dynimight
  • Members
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Firetree
  • Reckoning
  • Talents:

Posted 21 November 2008 - 02:22 PM

Anyone else struggling for binds?

Coming from Druid/Hunter/Warrior...not at all. I have a lot more free bar space on this guy so far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<