#1 crazynewfie

crazynewfie
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Alterac Mountains
  • Nightfall
  • Talents:

Posted 29 October 2008 - 12:05 AM

How long did it take and how much did you have to practice before you got good enough to make gladiator?

Also were you carried? well, not carried but kinda taught by your partner on how to be good?

I've never had a serious partner and I would float at like 1600 on my rogue with different disc priests in s3. Then like halfway through S4 I found a pretty good mage (highest hes been was 1900 as mage/priest) and we played like 700 games til the end of the season.I was hoping to get good enough for swords but didn't happen =(. We went like straight to 1700 on the first day then like for the next 2 or so months floated at like 1750-1850 just going up and down.

Then after 3.0 I rolled mutilate and got a really good resto sham, we went to like 1900 then arena lag and ret pallies fucked us for 2 weeks. Which is pretty gay considering arena is the only thing I enjoy doing now.

Edited by crazynewfie, 29 October 2008 - 12:10 AM.

#2 king_k28

king_k28
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Spirestone
  • Reckoning
  • Talents: Arms

Posted 29 October 2008 - 01:13 AM

its not all that hard to obtain gladiator the best thing i can say to do is watch pvp videos of high ranked players and pay close attention to what they are doing and WHY they are doing it

#3 Tabbycat

Tabbycat
  • Xialing
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Illidan
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Arms

Posted 29 October 2008 - 01:47 AM

I hate people who watch pvp videos, especially druid hunter then do exactly what they see in the videos...god damn male night elf hunters, hate them.
:rolleyes:

#4 Flarebrass

Flarebrass
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Haomarush
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents:

Posted 29 October 2008 - 02:14 AM

In game, about 300k Honor and 900 Arena games not counting PvE since it doesn't teach you squat.

Out of game, maybe about 15-20 days of web surfing and 1-2 days of watching videos.

Having skill with computers, coding, previous Action/Strategy games, self-analysis, etc. all helped as well.

Many glads will say they didn't really have to practice at all, that it just came naturally to them. Others will give similar responses to what I've said. It all comes down to knowing yourself, your potential, and your limits. Some people get Brut Glad in every bracket, others struggle for Glad in just one bracket, and even more peak at Challenger/Rival without understanding why.

There is no formula; simply keep practicing and learning until you attain that mastery. That's the basic truth of life.

#5 Fierss

Fierss
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Firetree
  • Reckoning
  • Talents: Protection

Posted 29 October 2008 - 02:15 AM

About 1 month of playing together, maybe ~100-150 arena games, and watching 0 videos.

#6 Siqk

Siqk
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Hyjal
  • Whirlwind
  • Talents: Assassination

Posted 29 October 2008 - 02:16 AM

it was a pretty simple concept to grasp, kill the other team before they kill you.

BEEN DOIN IT FOR 4 SEASONS NOW

#7 Phayded

Phayded
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Black Dragonflight
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Marksmanship

Posted 29 October 2008 - 02:43 AM

Videos are alright, but it's not really necessary... Read up on some strats and just play it out with another good partner.

I got screwed out of Gladiator in s3, finally got what I deserved in s4. I started pvping mid s2 when I had like 150 resil in t4.

Strats change throughout the season, when you get outplayed by a certain comp, you need to readjust and try something new if you wanna beat them.

#8 Rice

Rice
  • Junkies

Posted 29 October 2008 - 02:45 AM

About 1 month of playing together, maybe ~100-150 arena games, and watching 0 videos.

Note: Your experiences may vary based on class/comp. These are not typical results. Side effects may occur, including yelling, nerdraging, and forum posting. Arena is not for everyone. People who get angry easily, keyboard turn, or just plain suck at video games should not play arena. For more information, consult your arena junkie forum.

#9 Kadrix

Kadrix
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Retribution 2/0/0/1/1/.

Posted 29 October 2008 - 03:18 AM

2 days.
Posted Image

#10 Phas

Phas
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Taerar
  • Vengeance / Rache

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:20 AM

2 days.

lawl, you are a druid :-)

#11 Kadrix

Kadrix
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Retribution 2/0/0/1/1/.

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:32 AM

Yep :)
Posted Image

#12 Muck

Muck
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Blackrock
  • Glutsturm / Emberstorm

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:46 AM

It really depends on your class, your realmpool, your setup and of course your skill
If you play a dd/healer setup, you can do more mistakes than a dd/dd setup.

In the end, it really depends on yourself. The faster you learn which abillities your enemy have and how you can counter them, the faster the titel is yours.

#13 Magdain

Magdain
  • Premium
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Balance

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:06 AM

i wasnt good enough to get glad but thankfully s3 came along and saved me from my misery

#14 Wildo

Wildo
  • Members
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Executus
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Restoration

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:20 AM

I hate people who watch pvp videos, especially druid hunter then do exactly what they see in the videos...god damn male night elf hunters, hate them.

Nobody cares about your opinion.

To OP, the more you play the more you learn. Don't swap partners every 4 seconds and expect to get high rated instantly. When you play with the same person for a while, it makes everything a lot easier.

#15 Kheva

Kheva
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Talnivarr
  • Reckoning / Abrechnung
  • Talents: Discipline

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:30 AM

i used to struggle around 1900 with druids, then i discovered these things called keybindings and focus macros, after that s4 glad was fairly easy

but yeh read guides, and the thing that helped me most was read all the other teams guides! this gives you very valuable insight into how they will most likely play and why they play like that. ofc they wont always do what the guides tell them to but adapting is fairly easy

#16 fergs

fergs
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • EU-Quel'Thalas
  • Raserei / Frenzy
  • Talents: Holy

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:49 AM

playing the right combo
playing with the right partners
being able to take constructive criticism
working out strats for each comp you face, so you can just go out and do it rather than wasting 30 seconds at the start of each arena discussing what to do. then obviously being able to adapt if your preset strat goes tits up
not giving up

and the most important one, NOT being a holy pala :)

#17 alibi

alibi
  • Members
  • Trollclass_name
  • EU-Gul'dan
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Discipline

Posted 29 October 2008 - 10:01 AM

playing the right combo
playing with the right partners

Imho this is really really important ...
I was playing with RL buddies and we struggled to S3 weapon.
Right at the start of S4 I (luckily) found a very decent :warlock: and we jumped to S4 weapon in like two sessions.
So now, with my shoulders and stuff, I get asked to play with a lot of people and achieving higher ratings becomes a lot easier.

#18 Drye

Drye
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Blackrock
  • Glutsturm / Emberstorm
  • Talents: Retribution 1/0/0/2/2/0
  • RBG: 2176

Posted 29 October 2008 - 10:13 AM

i began playing srsly mid s3. got up to 2,2k as a retpally who begun in greens at 1 month or 2 after the start of s3. didnt get glad cause i xfered :(..
s4 i jumped to #1 pretty easy as a ret.

so it took me about 1-2 months of gearing out (im quick bored of farming honor so it takes long.. hat all guardian pieces by the end of s4 ^^), and about 2 weeks or so to learn all the things.

mates do a lot of difference .. with experienced mates you can learn from it helps. what helped me was watching 1-2 videos, and my experience in s3 where i started with greens and an unenchanted gorehowl to get my s3 weap. just play and play and play and practice.

im getting asked a lot how it was possible to get s4 shoulders as a ret pally before 3.0 ^^ and many ppl want to be carried after 3.0 by me.

if youre propperly geared, its much easier to find good mates. also, reputation helps alot. a switcher isnt worth anything on my server, cause most of them got their gear on low bg's and no one plays with them.

#19 Konwayz

Konwayz
  • Members
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Magtheridon
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Restoration

Posted 29 October 2008 - 05:59 PM

I never went for glad because it's not fun getting counter-comped any time you reached a decent rating, so here I give you the opportunity to learn from my mistakes!

1.) Plan to reroll as the new OP class midway through S1 (or whenever people learn what will be OP) so you can have it fully geared going into S2. It's hard to find partners as a gimp class, 99% of the good people wanna do everything easymode (druid/warr or druid/lock for example).
2.) Your comp should be whatever the new version of druid/warr is at level 80.
3.) Make sure you're honor + mark capped before each season ends so you aren't at a gear disadvantage from the start.
4.) Don't hesitate to kick people or leave teams if A. They're just BAD or B. You both have completely different schedules and can't do enough games to learn your comp together
5.) Make sure you get points EVERY WEEK even if you just find a random 1400 2v2 for 300 points on monday night. Losing very close matches because people slightly outgear you sucks... reaching 2050 but being 100 points short of getting your damn shield also sucks sweaty goat ass :mad:
6.) Ask the high-rated players of your class what mods they can't live without, if they're not a total douchebag they'll be happy to help you out.
7.) Learn to use lots of macros and key binds, ESPECIALLY focus macros so you can manage multiple targets without actually needing to switch. Anyone with a pet who didn't have a totem stomping macro made me LMAO.
8.) Look at your damn spell book and read what every spell does then think about how it applies to other classes you'll face. Druids who didn't use feral charge made me lol. Warlocks who didn't use Curse of Tongues made me ROFL.

Anyone who argues against re-rolling just to play an OP class with a cookie-cutter OP comp is either a moron or already plays one of the OP classes like druid, lock, etc.. Sure, it's fun to play a class you like, and every class can potentially be played to 2200 and beyond, but in my opinion it's more fun to succeed while playing a class that's not necessarily your first choice rather than getting CONSTANTLY counter-comped with 0 chance of winning while playing your favorite class. Actually it's a great way to make yourself hate your favorite class forever -_-

Edited by Konwayz, 29 October 2008 - 06:09 PM.

#20 Cloudeh

Cloudeh
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Al'Akir
  • Blackout
  • Talents: Fury

Posted 29 October 2008 - 06:20 PM

Think experience is the biggest part, you need to know your class pretty well and you need to know when and why you have to use an ability against each class/setup etc

I've played with the warlock i got server 3rd shoulder with in s4 (warr/lock) for quite some time (started somewhere at start of s2, in 5s, then 3s then 2s 3s 5s in s3/4 till i quit, i admit he even ditched me right before i quit cuz i wasnt active enough anymore)

In s1 i got glad with a spriest ive known since the day i dinged 60, ive played so much togheter with him that we got like rank10 in 2s pretty early, then i did 3s with him and my brother (had alot of gaming experience with my brother, id say roughly 8 years somewhere around the start of Age of Empires) got rank1 in s2 as spriest/ua lock/warrior (that spriest friend, my bro and me) without ventrilo or any communication (i guess that paid off knowing eachother inside out =D)for a long time, till somewhere around the end of s2 we dropped fuckloads and even ended up not getting glad from 3s anymore.

nerdraging. Arena is not for everyone. People who get angry easily should not play arena.

Can't say I'm normal but i admit ive raged alot in my arena "career" and some ppl even wanted to use no vent when playing with me cuz its simply better than having me shout all the time, i even managed to get into trouble with both my neighbours and family because of my aggression and ignorance, i shouldve quit alot earlier than i did but im glad it wasnt the real "me" cause now that i dont play anymore i havent even been annoyed since the day i quit

but still ive achieved all 4 seasons glad ^^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<