#1 Rapture

Rapture
  • Administrators
  • Curse Premium

Posted 11 October 2008 - 05:31 PM

Arenas

The Ring of Valor - Orgrimmar.
  • Video - http://www.gamerstub...cc4ff8e11234fbf
  • Animated Platforms - Pillars that rise up at timed intervals. Trying to stay away from randomness to let it be skill based. Pillars block line of sight, you can ride up and down on pillars.
  • Dynamic Fire Hazard - Strips on the ground that damages players. On a timer. If you are CC'd on the fire you will not be killed. Designed as a choice.
  • Close Starting Positions - Start on platforms that rise up at the start.
  • New, dynamic feel to the Arenas while keeping it skill based.
  • Pillars on opposite timers as fire to force decision making
  • Landmarks on pillars and around arena to give players more ways to communicate where they are during a game.

Dalaran Sewers - Under Dalaran, the Central City for WotLK
  • Video - http://www.gamerstub...24f63a794a12e35
  • Small, to the point
  • Dynamic Water Feature - Pillar on timer that blocks LOS. If you are standing on water pillar when it turns on it knocks you back so you can't get stuck. Terming this dynamic - "area denial"
  • No mounts allowed. Travel forms will work.
  • Starting areas off-limits: Start in pipes that are elevated from the ground. Jump down into the arena at start. If you stay in at start, you get knocked out by water.

Battlegrounds

Strand of the Ancients
  • Video - http://www.gamerstub...6c3c54a0ab0c641
  • Attack/Defend Map - Destructible Buildings and Vehicles. Play both sides of the teams.
  • Time each attack run, if the other team can't defeat you in the same amount of time that team loses.
  • Increased player limit to 15v15 from 10v10
  • Doubling amount of Siege vehicles from current Beta
  • Siege Combat - Series of walls that lead to capturable objective at the top. Land on beach, get into siege engines and begin moving through the walls. If you aren't in a vehicle, you will be able to pick up and drop mines to do siege damage. 3-4 seconds where the opposite team can disarm mine. Something for everyone to do.
  • Multiple angles for attack viable. All walls have unique icon and color so players can identify and communicate where they are going.

Wintergrasp - Entire Zone PvP in Northrend
  • Huge Numbers of Players - hundreds, with siege vehicles and destructible buildings.
  • Non-Instances PVP
  • Attack/Defend Map. You have a fortress with surrounding walls. Break through walls...choose any of 30 walls to break through. Capture and then sides flip with a cooldown - currently 2.5 hours. Cooldown to allow victor to reap the benefits of winning.
  • Victor gets daily quests, portal from Dalaran to Wintergrasp, opens a unique raid instance. Archivon (raid boss), with wide select of loot - one day cooldown, open for everyone on the winning faction. All bosses around wow drop a shard for the current victor as currency to buy, mounts, gear, gems, wide variety.
  • Victor defends the next round.
  • Ranks to earn vehicles - Ensures players are contributing. Get and HK, get rank. Currently 2 Ranks required to get in a siege vehicle. Different vehicles require different ranks.
  • Vehicles still vulnerable to players. Necessity for players on the ground to defend siege weaponry.
  • Spent majority of design time ensuring servers will handle the load and play smoothly.

Whats Next - Future of PVP with Chilton
  • Revisit PvP itemization, including arena and BG rewards
  • Support all the play styles and balance the rewards from all - BGs, Non-instanced pvp, arena
  • Queue from anywhere in the Azeroth.
  • Competitive battle grounds. Potential rating system to measure individual success in BGs.
  • Potential for Guild Battlegrounds
  • Allow players to level up in Battlegrounds.

Q and A

Q: Why can't Hunter's shoot within melee rang
A: Different than a caster - not wearing mail armor. Don't want Hunter's to be able to blast away while tanking. Disengage gives a more fun mechanic than just standing there.

Q: Why Can't Pets have resilience?
A: Tuning the benefits of a pet. Find the balance to make sure its viable strategy to kill the Hunter's pet, but also costs enough to decide to kill the pet. Lost of new options to customize pets with talent points to increase defense.

Q: Will the old BGs and Arenas get a facelift with the new Dynamics?
A: Does tends to be PVP content burnout. Want to address it by making better effort to introduce new Battlegrounds.

Q: Future changes to help Paladins stay in Melee range? (Loud booing ensues!)
A: No intention to give Paladins Shadowstep or Intercept. Make sure the control that Paladins have are more useful. Glyph that increases HoJ range a lot.

Q: Population imbalance on Wintergrasp? Anything planned to balance with a Buff?
A: Buff called Tenacity. Scales based on imbalance of BG to make the smaller side stronger by scaling damage input and stops incoming damage as a percentage. Still tuning the balance.

Q: How will Ranks reset in Wintergrasp. Still get HKs while idling. How will it be fixed?
A: No forced grouping, so you would have to be in a group that carries you and feeds you the HKs. Rank will reset each battle for Wintergrasp

Q: Ring of Valor. With fire, will range be an immediate benefit.
A: Visual Queues for fire (gears and doors opening). Can certainly shoot through the fire as a ranged class

Q: Balance for Druid PVP. Resto overpowered, how can you lower Restos effectiveness without hurting Balance or Feral
A: Changes with WotLK going to be very different balance. Does not look like Druids will be the dominant force they are now in WotLK, especially in the lower brackets.

Q: Any plans to remove or balance racials in arenas?
A: Make sure they don't change rules of Arena too much or it feels like it isn't part of World of Warcraft. We have already limited consumables, to take that burden off each match. With WotLK arena is going to change a lot and we are certainly watching the role racials play. If it continues to be a problem in WotLK, they will address it in the future.

Q:  As a healer, in a BG that doesn't force grouping you just have to spam target other players on your team to see if they need healing. Is there any way to give healers a way to heal more effectively in that situation?
A: Avoiding that for the time being. Grouping system only supports 40 players ATM. And that would need to be addressed before any mechanic like that is added.

#2 Algrumm

Algrumm
  • Members
  • Trollclass_name
  • US-Ravenholdt
  • Whirlwind
  • Talents: Protection

Posted 11 October 2008 - 05:32 PM

Wooo, the panel we've been waiting for.

#3 metharon

metharon
  • Members
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • EU-The Maelstrom
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Discipline

Posted 11 October 2008 - 06:16 PM

Looking farward to the BGs, the arenas sound kinda crappy though.
Troll male for life

#4 shanks61

shanks61
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Stormreaver
  • Rampage
  • Talents:

Posted 11 October 2008 - 08:01 PM

Anything that makes to make pvp more viable in wow is good. I love the Idea of being able to level in battlegrounds.

#5 Babbon

Babbon
  • Members
  • Trollclass_name
  • EU-The Maelstrom
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents:

Posted 11 October 2008 - 08:21 PM

Q: Any grouping mechanic so healers will be able to heal the team effectively?
A: Avoiding that for the time being. Grouping system only supports 40 players ATM.

Am I just retarded, or do both the question and the answer make no sense at all?
Posted Image

#6 Algrumm

Algrumm
  • Members
  • Trollclass_name
  • US-Ravenholdt
  • Whirlwind

Posted 11 October 2008 - 08:24 PM

Babbon said:

Am I just retarded, or do both the question and the answer make no sense at all?

I didn't understand it either. =/

#7 Rapture

Rapture
  • Administrators
  • Curse Premium

Posted 11 October 2008 - 09:57 PM

Algrumm said:

I didn't understand it either. =/

I think what the guy was trying to get at was that in a BG that doesn't force grouping, as a healer you just have to spam target other players on your team to see if they need healing. He was wondering if there was any way to give healers a way to heal more effectively than that.

#8 Guest_Wickler_*

Guest_Wickler_*

Posted 12 October 2008 - 08:44 AM

Rapture said:

I think what the guy was trying to get at was that in a BG that doesn't force grouping, as a healer you just have to spam target other players on your team to see if they need healing. He was wondering if there was any way to give healers a way to heal more effectively than that.

Actually he made the question on the spot.

I actually asked the question before him and we were polling on who was going to ask what, and his orginal question was if the fire or the pillars were going to have visual queues so if we could time them.

Dude I was so like... "Whoa bright lights" when I asked them the arena racial balance question. I actually wanted to do a shoutout to AJ or some crap like that, but they're running low on time and I just to ask them a base question I had.

I really wanted to propose my Draenei change Gift of the Naruu -> Battlemaster idea, but I thought just them generally addressing the racial issues in arena was a much more bigger change.

Yes that was me with the Tool shirt :)

Edited by Wickler, 12 October 2008 - 04:41 PM.
spelling

#9 Lafie

Lafie
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Lightbringer
  • Cruelty / Crueldad
  • Talents: Assassination

Posted 12 October 2008 - 04:39 PM

Animated Platforms - Pillars that rise up at timed intervals. Trying to stay away from randomness to let it be skill based. Pillars block line of sight, you can ride up and down on pillars.

Dynamic Water Feature - Pillar on timer that blocks LOS. If you are standing on water pillar when it turns on it knocks you back so you can't get stuck. Terming this dynamic - "area denial"

don't want randomnes, for skills = make more random pillars?

#10 Algrumm

Algrumm
  • Members
  • Trollclass_name
  • US-Ravenholdt
  • Whirlwind

Posted 12 October 2008 - 06:13 PM

Can we have our Nagrand tornadoes back? :(

#11 frst

frst
  • Premium Junkies
  • Curse Premium
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Crushridge
  • Cyclone
  • Talents: Frost

Posted 12 October 2008 - 07:11 PM

Lafie said:

Animated Platforms - Pillars that rise up at timed intervals. Trying to stay away from randomness to let it be skill based. Pillars block line of sight, you can ride up and down on pillars.

Dynamic Water Feature - Pillar on timer that blocks LOS. If you are standing on water pillar when it turns on it knocks you back so you can't get stuck. Terming this dynamic - "area denial"

don't want randomnes, for skills = make more random pillars?

They're timed, which means they're not random thus justifying their place in PvP, player vs pillar.

Posted Image

#12 Varastus

Varastus
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Lightninghoof
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents:

Posted 12 October 2008 - 08:07 PM

frst said:

They're timed, which means they're not random thus justifying their place in PvP, player vs pillar.

so... couldn't they just put tornados back and make them appear/disappear based on timed intervals?  Or.. how about make gigantic chunks of meat shoot out of the BEA floor?
"He didn't hit his NS button furiously enough.  Maybe if he hit it deadly-ly it would have went off."
-Random banter after 100-0'ing a shaman in 3v3.

#13 Rapture

Rapture
  • Administrators
  • Curse Premium

Posted 13 October 2008 - 01:35 AM

The gallery has been updated with pictures from the WoW PvP Panel.

http://www.arenajunk....php?albumid=20

#14 Tyveris

Tyveris
  • Premium Junkies
  • Curse Premium

Posted 14 October 2008 - 12:02 AM

Added links to videos for the arenas and BGs. Lake Wintergrasp coming soon. Thank Teza from World of Raids for taking the videos :)

#15 Frostydude

Frostydude
  • Members
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Drakkari
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Fire

Posted 14 October 2008 - 02:39 PM

The Ring of Valor - Orgrimmar.

* Video - http://www.gamerstub....c4ff8e11234fbf
    * Animated Platforms - Pillars that rise up at timed intervals. Trying to stay away from randomness to let it be skill based. Pillars block line of sight, you can ride up and down on pillars.
    * Dynamic Fire Hazard - Strips on the ground that damages players. On a timer. If you are CC'd on the fire you will not be killed. Designed as a choice.
    * Close Starting Positions - Start on platforms that rise up at the start.
    * New, dynamic feel to the Arenas while keeping it skill based.
    * Pillars on opposite timers as fire to force decision making
    * Landmarks on pillars and around arena to give players more ways to communicate where they are during a game.

Has any one found an addon timer for those pillars? :DDDDD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<