Warlock: from TBC SL/SL to WLK SL/SL/SL?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Bornloser

Bornloser

Posted 06 October 2008 - 03:44 PM

Was playing around with the WLK talent calculator today then somehow knock into something co-incidentally named initials... Soul Leech...

http://wotlk.wowhead...xczoZVf0qrMuVsh

Looks pretty well-rounded to deal with general circumstances... with Backlash for melee issues... and Fel Domination for pet issues... Now the idea of Shadowflame going off with Conflagrate seems to match... esp with the 26% stun with Pyroclasm...

Whats the whole concept/idea seems to be? From a Tank Drainer to a Burst Drainer?

Does this implies more skill play for the current TBC SL/SL Warlock in future WLK PvP? From what I had understood, Destro Warlock requires lots of well-timed quick reflexes and split second decision-making on the fly to even see succeed ~ the very reason I am building one right now...

Is this what the Blizzard is intending to go for Warlock in WLK Endgame PvP?

Siphon Life + Soul Link + Soul Leech?

IMPT: Points can still be allocated to Master Summoner + Demonic Aegis OR Improved Succubus and/or Nether Protection and/or Grim Reach, Curse of Exhaustion as necessary when situations call for...

ADDED: Sorry I forget to state that this build takes into the consideration of Demonic Circle applications and the Haste accumulation @80 ~ hence I would like to know if it will be feasible in WLK as I have no Beta PTR Lv.80 Warlock...

:warlock:
A new Warlock wannabe...

My WLK 2v2 Arena "Undying" Death Knight:
http://wotlk.wowhead...zZcxMhxfox0q0zo

Edited by Bornloser, 08 October 2008 - 03:11 PM.
Added some questions

#2 Jari

Jari
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Steamwheedle Cartel
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents:

Posted 06 October 2008 - 03:51 PM

It has the same initials, what more proof do we need?

#3 Bornloser

Bornloser

Posted 06 October 2008 - 05:17 PM

Was wondering if someone who are fortunate enough to be in the Beta PTR can try out this SL/SL/SL spec and feedback how it fares.

Will be happy too if someone can feedback my "Undying" Death Knight build as well; I find it very durable in a 1v1 Duel using my friend PTR char, yet to try it in Arena and BG setting though ~ it was a short while but was good while it last ...

#4 Underseer

Underseer
  • Members
  • Taurenclass_name
  • EU-Lightning's Blade
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Balance

Posted 06 October 2008 - 05:35 PM

Bornloser said:

Was wondering if someone who are fortunate enough to be in the Beta PTR can try out this SL/SL/SL spec and feedback how it fares.

Will be happy too if someone can feedback my "Undying" Death Knight build as well; I find it very durable in a 1v1 Duel using my friend PTR char, yet to try it in Arena and BG setting though ~ it was a short while but was good while it last ...

Well your fel domination summon is 4,5 seconds with that build. Incredibly hard to summon anything with it. So basically kill one pet = dead lock.

Besides that, soul leech despite having the correct initials, seems like complete rubbish :)
For every 1k damage you do with nukes, you will heal 60 hp.

It might be worth a shot with 17 demo/33 destro, but it seems to me like heavy affliction/heavy demonology builds would just be stronger.

#5 Bornloser

Bornloser

Posted 07 October 2008 - 12:48 PM

Well your fel domination summon is 4,5 seconds with that build. Incredibly hard to summon anything with it. So basically kill one pet = dead lock.

Initial testing seems not necessary the case as you stated, thanks to the new Demonic Circle... my friend tele away, activates Fel Domination and LOS summon pet again for Soul Link, the 5.5 seconds less is major in arena to return into action (at least for me esp in a 2v2) ~ lest you are blinded then stunlocked immediately which I think most will be dead without a competent healer...

Also with the new Nightmare effect with Improved Fear, Fear + Fel Domination enables you to summon that pet within that small window that might just reverse the table ~ my friend only manage to pull out one such case

Still, I require feedbacks from the Professional Warlocks out there...

It might be worth a shot with 17 demo/33 destro, but it seems to me like heavy affliction/heavy demonology builds would just be stronger.

It seems that Metamorphosis is designed for PvP in mind... and Demonology for survivability, which matches well with Affliction instants... at the very least, this is the current easier mode of PvP in PTR for Warlocks... and thus I was wondering, if there is a better build somewhere, but required higher level of skill of play to bring out the full potential...

Besides that, soul leech despite having the correct initials, seems like complete rubbish
For every 1k damage you do with nukes, you will heal 60 hp.

Btw my friend mentions that Soul Leech in PTR is healing less than expected... anyone experienced this as well? Is this working as intended or it is a bug waiting to be fix?

Edited by Bornloser, 07 October 2008 - 01:19 PM.

#6 Songo

Songo
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Cenarius
  • Whirlwind
  • Talents: Balance 0/1/2/0/1/.

Posted 08 October 2008 - 10:14 AM

no real point to going fel dom without master summoner

#7 LateraluSM

LateraluSM
  • Junkies

Posted 08 October 2008 - 12:13 PM

Songo said:

^

#8 Bornloser

Bornloser

Posted 08 October 2008 - 01:05 PM

Then again... no point going into Soul Link if without...

Come to think of it, in TBC Soul Link will never works if without BOTH Fel Domination and Master Summoner when a Warlock is being trained (esp by Melee with S3/S4 Weapons); in WLK with Demonic Circle it seems much more forgiving to have only Fel Domination... no?

Edited by Bornloser, 08 October 2008 - 01:10 PM.

#9 LateraluSM

LateraluSM
  • Junkies

Posted 08 October 2008 - 01:15 PM

Bornloser said:

Come to think of it, in TBC Soul Link will never works if without BOTH Fel Domination and Master Summoner when a Warlock is being trained (esp by Melee with S3/S4 Weapons); in WLK with Demonic Circle it seems much more forgiving to have only Fel Domination... no?

Well yeah you should have time enough to summon a new pet, remains to be seen how hard the demonic circle will be camped/watched tho

#10 Iisindria

Iisindria
  • Isindria
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Restoration

Posted 08 October 2008 - 01:16 PM

So, mainly spec into a tree what is based on casting spells that take 3 seconds to do and thus do 0 damage, but survive a bit longer, or go Haunt, do 5 times the damage while still having SL? Hmm, hard choice.

#11 Firelolol

Firelolol
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Thunderhorn
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Fire

Posted 08 October 2008 - 02:08 PM

I can see destro making a come back with the better locks

#12 Songo

Songo
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Cenarius
  • Whirlwind
  • Talents: Balance 0/1/2/0/1/.

Posted 09 October 2008 - 12:45 AM

Bornloser said:

Soul link will always work even without those 2 summoning spells, because of all the benefits you get from the tree alone. Master Demonologist, Demonic Aegis, Demonic Resilience, and even Demonic Knowledge. All of this adds up to make demonology synergize with the other trees, depending on if you go SL/SL or 5/35/21. I've ran both in a successful 5's (top 3) and they both work well, mostly depending on your comp.

I haven't read on beta much at all, but demonic circle is the ability where u can teleport to it right? if it is, good teams will watch where it is as someone mentioned, and a melee will be able to get to you. Plus if you only go fel dom and they kill it again if you can get the cast off, your 3rd pet will take the full 10 seconds. Master Summoner, with only a 2 point investment, will allow you to hardcast a pet in almost half the time, hopefully letting you get it off with a proper CC chain

#13 Bornloser

Bornloser

Posted 09 October 2008 - 06:43 AM

I haven't read on beta much at all, but demonic circle is the ability where u can teleport to it right? if it is, good teams will watch where it is as someone mentioned, and a melee will be able to get to you. Plus if you only go fel dom and they kill it again if you can get the cast off, your 3rd pet will take the full 10 seconds. Master Summoner, with only a 2 point investment, will allow you to hardcast a pet in almost half the time, hopefully letting you get it off with a proper CC chain

The only issue I think will be how far the Warlock can kite the enemy away from the Circle... currently in the Beta testing my friend had done, Hunter's Traps are a concern as they can see where you place your circle... other than that, Summon Circle is fantastic for LOS, First Aid, Train Breaker, and many many other tricks (it can also be used offensively when the enemy is LOS hugging... and that is where the instant Bursts shines...) Still more testing feedbacks needed at Beta from more Warlock Pros...

So, mainly spec into a tree what is based on casting spells that take 3 seconds to do and thus do 0 damage, but survive a bit longer, or go Haunt, do 5 times the damage while still having SL? Hmm, hard choice.

Er, 3 seconds? Which spell? If you may spend awhile to observe... there are plenty of instants... not merely instant DoTs but instant Bursts ~ something that the old TBC SL/SL Warlocks never had...

Hopefully too, thats why I hope someone in Beta can try it out to feed it as it is all theorycrafting right now... Currently the only feedbacks I received are "fun" or "more fun/better" than the old stale TBC SL/SL, but I want to know its viability against other obvious Warlocks' builds; I want to know if SL/SL/SL the one "difficult" build that can dominates if, and only if the player itself also possess a level of mastery and expertise...

Truth be told... I am tired of being a goody-2-shoes Paladin, and intend to melt faces Warlock style in WLK =D ~ with aspiration from the "Blooddrenched Masked Warlock"

#14 Bornloser

Bornloser

Posted 13 October 2008 - 12:16 PM

@Songosaurus

Soul link will always work even without those 2 summoning spells, because of all the benefits you get from the tree alone. Master Demonologist, Demonic Aegis, Demonic Resilience, and even Demonic Knowledge. All of this adds up to make demonology synergize with the other trees, depending on if you go SL/SL or 5/35/21. I've ran both in a successful 5's (top 3) and they both work well, mostly depending on your comp.

After some more playtest, it seems that in the current PTR v3.0.2, Soul Link without any of the 2 Summoning Talents is totally not viable in arena... Pets are too easily taken down (Soul Link voided)... and even with Demonic Circle... 10 seconds is just too much which almost-always means the death of your teammates (esp in 2v2) and your inevitable loss...

I wonder if anyone manage to play SL/SL successfully in arena without the 2 Summoning Haste talents... at least for me and my lousy Warlock skills, I cant...

There are a little more information at Warlock Den Forum on SL/SL/SL Warlock:
http://wowmb.net/for...l_wlk_sl_sl_sl/

Please feedback about SL/SL/SL Warlock in PvP, as I really want to know its viability... thanks...

#15 bluetorch

bluetorch
  • Premium Junkies
  • Curse Premium
  • Goblinclass_name
  • EU-Kazzak
  • Misery
  • Talents: Affliction
  • LocationFinland

Posted 13 October 2008 - 10:30 PM

UA/SL is the spec you wanna go, Just tested all the specs and UA/SL seemed the strongest for 2 v 2 and demonform was pretty decent for 3 v 3 or 5 v 5

#16 Drekkor

Drekkor
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Chromaggus
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Affliction

Posted 13 October 2008 - 10:35 PM

Locklolol said:

And here I thought I was the only one who saw that :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic