#1 Blart

Blart
  • Members
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Frostmane
  • Reckoning
  • Talents:

Posted 13 September 2008 - 08:33 AM

I'd like to see a basic guide on fake-casting.

What classes do you need to fake cast against? What skills do they use? (I know rogues have kick, and warriors have pummel, what else is there to look out for?)

What addons are required to pull off consistant fake-casts?

I feel stuck at 1650, and am hoping some good fakes are all I need.

#2 xergul

xergul
  • Junkies

Posted 13 September 2008 - 09:02 AM

You don't need any addons to help you fakecast. Interrupt abilities make very loud and noticeable sound effects, it's hard NOT to notice them. However, it's always good to have a mod for enemy cooldowns (I used Afflicted, get it from wowinterface.com) and usually that mod will just tell you if they used their interrupt and how long until they can use it again.

Interrupt abilities
- rogues have kick: 10 second cooldown, costs 25 energy. You can save yourself the effort of trying to fakecast if you anticipate an energy dump (example: subtlety rogues spam hemorrhage, which costs 35 energy)
- mages have counterspell: 24 second cooldown. This is so easy to fakecast. Wait until a mage is winding up a frostbolt, then start casting cyclone. The mage will very likely stop casting frostbolt so he can counterspell you. This is amazingly and pathetically predictable. In other situations, it's still fairly predictable considering it's a relatively long cooldown, mages will save it for key moments. It's not on the global cooldown so keep that in mind.
- warlocks' felhunters have spell lock: A lot harder to avoid. A decent warlock will have a focus macro for spell lock so you can't even tell if the warlock is paying attention to you or not so it's difficult to know if you need to bother fakecasting or not with the pet in your face the whole match.
- warriors don't have pummel, they have macestun.

The most important thing to do is test the enemies' reaction time early in the match so you know WHEN to stop your own cast to juke them. If you do a fakecast and they didn't use their interrupt, it probably means they didn't pay attention, so do another fakecast.

p.s. if you are stuck at 1650, fakecasting isn't going to save you. get a new partner or stop being bad.

Edited by xergul, 13 September 2008 - 09:05 AM.

#3 MacPwnage

MacPwnage
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Zenedar
  • Blackout
  • Talents: Restoration

Posted 13 September 2008 - 09:22 AM

What classes do you need to fake cast against? What skills do they use? (I know rogues have kick, and warriors have pummel, what else is there to look out for?)

those classes that you listed + mages (counterspell) and warlocks (felhunter spelllock) and maybe shamans although their earthshock silence is very short, so it wont matter that much if you dont do it.

What addons are required to pull off consistant fake-casts?

Afflicted 2 is very usefull, as you can set it up in a way to show the icons of the interrupting move+ it's cooldown, so you will know when you have successfully dodged the interrupt+ it will give you an idea when it's no longer on cooldown and you will need to re-fakecast.

How to fakecast:
1. cast a cyclone
2. watch when the guy used his previous global cooldown. (the purple damage in the scrolling combat text)
3. stop the cast when his global cooldown is over. (1 second for rogues, 1.5 seconds for others)
4. check afflicted 2 if the guy used his move, if not repeat step 1 (if he's just waiting for the next cast just instantly stop your cast after starting it.)

for mages and warlock pets it's a lot harder although most mages will make you their focus target and they will just smash their counterspell key (no global cooldown for that 1) when you cast a heal, so just cast a regrowth and stop it after a while.

Also it's a good idea to watch the cooldowns on interrupts as you can try to be mid cast, and stop the cast when their cooldown is over. Most of the times the other guy will be smashing his key to interrupt you as soon as its possible again, thus wasting his interrupt.

I feel stuck at 1650, and am hoping some good fakes are all I need.

The problem with fakecasting is that bad players are sometimes just immune to all casting and they will just continue spamming their imba damage skills at you, while theyre still interrupting 50% of your casts due to macestun. Also try dueling a lot vs warriors/rogues to practise the fakecasts. And when you get low, never panic when you know they have kick/pummel up, as you will lose 100% if they interrupt your next cast, just stay calm and try another fakecast.

#4 Malabanana

Malabanana
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Twilight's Hammer
  • Blackout
  • Talents:

Posted 13 September 2008 - 09:35 AM

Interrupt bar is good :)

#5 Txero

Txero
  • Members
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Crushridge
  • Cyclone
  • Talents: Restoration

Posted 13 September 2008 - 06:44 PM

as you will lose 100% if they interrupt your next cast, just stay calm and try another fakecast.

3 failed fake casts is over 5 seconds of interupt you caused your self... while pummel is just 5. Honestly if you fail the 1st fake cast trying a 2nd is fine sometimes other times its actually better to eat it and recast after against warriors anyways... not rogues. Sometimes they're just bad and aren't going to interupt you. Also keep in mind that in a few weeks kick and pummel will be off the GCD making casting between globals impossible.

*sadface* ~ on a sidenote... everytime i'd get a cyclone perfectly between a warriors GCD making it impossible to interupt he'd just macestun me anyways... at least that won't happen anymore...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<