Photo

Thinking about playing again after 5 year hiatus...

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Filovirus

Filovirus
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: ./././././.
  • RBG: 2795

Posted 28 January 2018 - 05:04 PM

Hey everyone!

I haven't played since the launch of MoP, so I'm not really familiar with the game anymore. How are warlocks looking for the current expansion/upcoming expansion? How is the state of PvP and arena in general?

Cheers :)

#2 kazdum

kazdum
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Warsong
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Destruction

Posted 29 January 2018 - 01:00 PM

game is ded

#3 DkH.ZeRa

DkH.ZeRa
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Eredar
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Destruction 0/0/1/1/2/1/0
  • 2v2: 1674
  • 3v3: 2551
  • 5v5: 672
  • RBG: 1769

Posted 29 January 2018 - 01:49 PM

All WL specs are good (Demo is okay) but you have to like three button pve rota.

Its hard to say for the new expansion. Spamable cc and enough dmg will always be okay.

Legion pvp is annoying overall and you cant outplay other players anymore.

They hit their biggest offensive cd -> you hit your biggest defensive cd. Everyone can deal damage because its too simple.

There are also plenty of other threads about comebacks:

http://www.arenajunk...-this-game-now/

http://www.arenajunk...th-coming-back/

Edited by DkH.ZeRa, 29 January 2018 - 01:50 PM.

Posted Image

#4 Melaniatrump

Melaniatrump
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Korgath
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Frost 2/0/2/0/0/1/1
  • 3v3: 1420

Posted 29 January 2018 - 05:03 PM

It’s literally just popping all your CDs, doing a pve rotation, most of the time you just aoe in hopes the healer can’t keep up. Literally no outplay and no real strategy anymore it’s just: doors open, find your target, pop CDs, if dead gg, if not wait for CDs.

#5 Filovirus

Filovirus
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall

Posted 29 January 2018 - 07:23 PM

Yikes, this doesn’t sound super promising. What about PvE and other stuff? There must surely be some decent aspects of the game... also what US servers are good right now? Back when I quit at the end of Cata KT Alliance and Illidan Horde were both pretty solid.

#6 DkH.ZeRa

DkH.ZeRa
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Eredar
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Destruction 0/0/1/1/2/1/0
  • 2v2: 1674
  • 3v3: 2551
  • 5v5: 672
  • RBG: 1769

Posted 29 January 2018 - 07:43 PM

They say pve is good. Never tried it.

https://realmpop.com/us.html

Tichondrius 1.076.369 players

Illidan 835.730 players but overall horde only server

Posted Image

#7 Melaniatrump

Melaniatrump
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Korgath
  • Vengeance

Posted 29 January 2018 - 08:25 PM

Pve imo is alright. I think they did a pretty good job integrating the story with the raid. The only gripe I have isn’t really fixable. I cant play video games as much as I use to so finding a group/guild for pve is kinda tough if you want to do mythic and not on 5 days a week, at least on the server I was on.

Honestly if you just accept that pvp, the kind that you can outplay an entire team if you are better than them, is dead and just want to mindlessly push buttons then it may keep your attention for a couple months.

#8 Bersihasi

Bersihasi
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Antonidas
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Mistweaver 0/1/2/2/0/2/2
  • 2v2: 1046
  • 3v3: 2301
  • 5v5: 288
  • RBG: 2421

Posted 30 January 2018 - 07:33 AM

From somebody that does all the content:

PvE: Raiding

Imo encounters are fun and diverse in playstyle. Raiding itself does not feel rewarding though. You see people running around with mythic ilvl because they got titanforged LFR / normal items. Back in BC / Wotlk you had BiS gear because you did the hardest content. Now you can be lucky and get BiS gear before people even kill the last boss of the expansion. Due to the nature of titanforging and artifact power you are never finished with a toon. So if you plan on hardcore raiding it will fucking drain you. I enjoy quality raiding over quantity. 2-3 raids a week.

PvE: Mythic+ 

Mythic+ seems to be the focus of the blizzard esport team. It combines the theorycrafting of raiding with skillsets that you normally need in PvP. CC, Interrupts, Awarness etc. Imho the best competitive gameplay currently in WoW. If you enjoyed running harder 5mans in BC this will totally be your thing. 

PvE: Questing etc.

Leveling and suramar questing was a rather positive experience. Suramar in general felt like doing those long as attunements quests in older expansions. It is not as monotone and it is rather focused on storytelling.

PvP: RBG

This bracket is not enjoyable at all. On the very high level you have very few teams that like to dodge or snipe if you play with a subpar lineup. So games often times are onesided. Activity is also quite low so you often times end up being matched with way lower / higher teams. RBG gameplay is really fun if you end up playing against a fairly matched team but this happens very rarely. 

PvP: Arena

Going for Glad on EU means playing against blizzcon and multiple R1 alts every single game. 200+ R1 spots go to 50+ different players. Balancing is normally just a dps / hps tweak and real issues with gameplay are rarely touched. We lost the foundation of casuals that feed rating and increase the cutoffs (competitive pyramid). Old players keep playing and casuals stop playing without being replaced by new players (inverse pyramid). So getting glad+ titles is way more competitive. Still no soloqueue and finding a team on higher level is nearly impossible. You should be fine if you have old mates that still play though.

PS: you can dupe glad mounts now

Edited by Bersihasi, 30 January 2018 - 07:36 AM.

Posted Image

#9 Octania

Octania
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Aegwynn
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Survival 0/0/1/2/1/0
  • 2v2: 2211
  • 3v3: 2138

Posted 30 January 2018 - 09:12 AM

This is the first time i'm hearing of this, care to elaborate?

Sláystation's Flame Shock hits Octania for 1337 Fire.

#10 Filovirus

Filovirus
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall

Posted 30 January 2018 - 12:42 PM

From somebody that does all the content:

PvE: Raiding

Imo encounters are fun and diverse in playstyle. Raiding itself does not feel rewarding though. You see people running around with mythic ilvl because they got titanforged LFR / normal items. Back in BC / Wotlk you had BiS gear because you did the hardest content. Now you can be lucky and get BiS gear before people even kill the last boss of the expansion. Due to the nature of titanforging and artifact power you are never finished with a toon. So if you plan on hardcore raiding it will fucking drain you. I enjoy quality raiding over quantity. 2-3 raids a week.

PvE: Mythic+

Mythic+ seems to be the focus of the blizzard esport team. It combines the theorycrafting of raiding with skillsets that you normally need in PvP. CC, Interrupts, Awarness etc. Imho the best competitive gameplay currently in WoW. If you enjoyed running harder 5mans in BC this will totally be your thing.

PvE: Questing etc.

Leveling and suramar questing was a rather positive experience. Suramar in general felt like doing those long as attunements quests in older expansions. It is not as monotone and it is rather focused on storytelling.

PvP: RBG
This bracket is not enjoyable at all. On the very high level you have very few teams that like to dodge or snipe if you play with a subpar lineup. So games often times are onesided. Activity is also quite low so you often times end up being matched with way lower / higher teams. RBG gameplay is really fun if you end up playing against a fairly matched team but this happens very rarely.

PvP: Arena
Going for Glad on EU means playing against blizzcon and multiple R1 alts every single game. 200+ R1 spots go to 50+ different players. Balancing is normally just a dps / hps tweak and real issues with gameplay are rarely touched. We lost the foundation of casuals that feed rating and increase the cutoffs (competitive pyramid). Old players keep playing and casuals stop playing without being replaced by new players (inverse pyramid). So getting glad+ titles is way more competitive. Still no soloqueue and finding a team on higher level is nearly impossible. You should be fine if you have old mates that still play though.

Thanks for the info fam. Guess I have to decide if I want to spend the money and start building a fresh character at this point. Gave my Cata warlock to a buddy when I quit 5 years ago. Still can’t believe it’s been that long, I have some great memories from this game. Are any of the good US server players still active? Reckful, Talbadar, Cdew, etc.?

Edited by Filovirus, 30 January 2018 - 12:47 PM.

#11 Melaniatrump

Melaniatrump
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Korgath
  • Vengeance

Posted 30 January 2018 - 02:27 PM

Thanks for the info fam. Guess I have to decide if I want to spend the money and start building a fresh character at this point. Gave my Cata warlock to a buddy when I quit 5 years ago. Still can’t believe it’s been that long, I have some great memories from this game. Are any of the good US server players still active? Reckful, Talbadar, Cdew, etc.?

Cdew is still going strong but that’s the problem with arenas right now, there really is no “really good” players that stand out. A group of multi rank ones can que and lose again a random 2.2k pve cleave. But as long as you have a solid group that ques regularly and doesn’t rage quit you will push rating. It just doesn’t feels as rewarding

#12 zzu

zzu
  • Junkies
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Arms 1/1/1/2/1/0/0
  • 2v2: 1346
  • 3v3: 2831

Posted 02 February 2018 - 09:28 PM

You will be disappointed. 

#13 Braindance

Braindance
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Arms
  • RBG: 956
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 03 February 2018 - 08:08 AM

The game is not entirely bad - there's things to do.  PvE is pretty good, storyline's nice. Just don't expect to find people to play arenas with with your titles - current players value someone with 2k from last season more than all your rank ones. All you will find are neophytes that want to rise. If you got old friends that still play go for it, otherwise just sub for 1 month and see if ytou like it. Or don't play at all. Regardless of what everyone says it's only you who knows if the game is still good for you.

Going to blizzcon looking for a fight is like going to the official wow arena forums for pvp advice :)

If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, bin Laden, and you, I would shoot you twice.

bro you got +rep'd by rapture... 

XECkfsj.png

Made by Regentlord

#14 Mavrei

Mavrei
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Black Dragonflight
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Restoration 2/0/0/0/1/2/0
  • 2v2: 1047
  • 3v3: 1771
  • RBG: 768

Posted 10 February 2018 - 07:25 PM

I remember you!

#15 Nahj

Nahj
  • Junkies
  • Unknown Raceclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Subtlety 2/1/2/1/1/0/1
  • 2v2: 1399
  • 3v3: 2726
  • LocationAZ

Posted 11 February 2018 - 08:16 PM

Demo and destro are pretty good, aff lock not so much.

Most people are on Tich horde, but it doesn't really matter what server you're on anymore now that every battlegroup is merged into one and players can que with each other cross realm through.

#16 Filovirus

Filovirus
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:19 PM

I remember you!

Nice to see you, GEORGEY!

#17 bclol

bclol
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Illidan
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Demonology 0/1/./1/2/./.
  • LocationThe First State

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:22 AM

Nice to see you, GEORGEY!

you have big ol gorilla hands now; can't play this game.

p.s. i'll play if you will

Edited by bclol, 14 February 2018 - 03:39 AM.

#18 Filovirus

Filovirus
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall

Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:27 PM

you have big ol gorilla hands now; can't play this game.

p.s. i'll play if you will

And you know what they say about guys with big hands...

Spoiler

I started playing last week. Been streaming as well every weeknight from 10pm - 1am eastern at http://twitch.tv/virusl0l

#19 bclol

bclol
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Illidan
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Demonology 0/1/./1/2/./.
  • LocationThe First State

Posted 15 February 2018 - 05:44 AM

I was sort of hoping you'd decide against it. Looks like I have to play again, with what little time I have.

#20 Pimpg

Pimpg
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Frost 1/0/2/0/0/2/2
  • 2v2: 96
  • 3v3: 2085

Posted 15 February 2018 - 12:09 PM

I was sort of hoping you'd decide against it. Looks like I have to play again, with what little time I have.

just don't get your hopes up. it's nothing like it used to be, unfortunately :(

Uguu ~~

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

<