Photo

Why do you think people join the police?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DennisCash

DennisCash
  • Members

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:44 AM

Many think people join the police force for selfish reasons mainly because they want to exercise power over others.

Police officers will often tell you that their motivation in joining the force was wholly altruistic and that they joined so they could help people and make a difference. 

I'm not sure I buy either of these explanations. I think most people join the police force because they want 'action' and excitement. What do you think?

#2 glonglon

glonglon
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Retribution 1/0/0/2/0/2
  • 2v2: 1905
  • 3v3: 1990

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:53 PM

Officer D.va can strip search me anytime  :wub:

2928d50b7e413a8ddaf370ee54429eb5.png

#3 Buglamp

Buglamp

Posted 17 December 2017 - 05:39 PM

Different reasons for different people. Sometimes people don't know their own reasons but will recite the reasons they like the sound of too. I'm sure altruism does actually factor in, a sense of civic duty, maybe a sort of protective drive, and so on for some police. It's actually a really poorly paying job for how much it sucks - depending on the particulars of the officer's duties, obviously some have it cushier than others. And I'm pretty sure many police officers do not get much excitement out of it - there's a lot of bureaucratic/clerical stuff for many positions, and even police who are "on the streets" more often are likely not regularly dealing with violent crime unless they work in certain areas. I think there are better choices of occupation for action and excitement.

I also think that having a position of authority and status is part of the appeal for some police, I wonder why you don't buy that as a plausible reason someone might become a policeman. It's pretty clear that police can exercise power over citizens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<