soh
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Marksmanship 0/0/2/2/0/0/.

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:21 PM

Hey guys,

My name is Stefan and even though I no longer play WoW, I've played it for many, many years. I started when the game first came out and played almost every day until the end of Wrath of the Litch King, doing arena, a little bit of raiding and world PvP when x-roads was a thing. I still played it afterwards for a while on and off until I finally quit at the end of Legion when all of my friends stopped playing. I was never able to get glad which was a bit of a joke inside my group of friends as we kind of tried every season and then took breaks from the game when it didn't work out. I did get close to 2500 as a hunter in Wrath and at least 2200 on multiple characters in other seasons, so I didn't do too bad, but definitely not as well as many of the people active on this forum.

I've also played a few other MMOs like GuildWars2 or Elder Scrolls Online so I've always been into this type of fantasy PvP games. I've always wanted to try to build a game of my own and finally last year in October I decided to go ahead and give it a try. Anything other than a mobile game would have been too much work for one single person so that's what I set out to build.

I've finally reached a point where I'm pretty happy with how the game turned out. The game is called Tome of Heroes, it's inspired from the various MMOs that I played and it's quite similar to WoW arena, but a lighter version obviously. Here are some preview links to the trailer and some narrated gameplay:

I would really like to continue working on it to improve it and add more content such as new heroes, different maps, new game modes similar to BGs and so forth. I'm writing this post because I'm curious to see what other gamers with a background similar to my own might think of what the game looks like so far. If you want to try it out you can get it here:

I've also started a Kickstarter campaign where I've written more information about the game mechanics and plans for the future in case anyone's interested. You can see that here: https://www.kickstar...altime-pvp-game

I'd love to hear some of your feedback and thanks in advance for taking the time to read this lengthy post.

#2 Lloix

Lloix
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Korgath
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Subtlety 1/1/2/1/0/1/0
  • 2v2: 2301
  • 3v3: 2106
  • RBG: 384
  • LocationDying at the bottom of a pit in the blazing sun

Posted 14 July 2017 - 01:28 AM

and that stupid fucking russian mod thinks i'm the one who shitposts....

#3 soh

soh
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall

Posted 14 July 2017 - 06:25 AM

lol, well alright then

#4 waniqutie

waniqutie
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Discipline 1/0/1/0/1/0/1
  • 2v2: 480
  • 3v3: 2405
  • RBG: 1148

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:00 PM

Theres been this kind of games already and they flopped so I dont have faith in this one either ;Z

Edited by waniqutie, 15 July 2017 - 02:07 PM.

#5 Konjunktur

Konjunktur

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:49 PM

If only it was for PC and basically just a complete rip of WoW arena in a CS:GO/Rocket League/Dota like shell.

With good class design obviously.

#6 soh

soh
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:57 PM

Building a game for PC is a bit much for a single person so that's why I decided to start smaller with a mobile game. Depending with how things go, it wouldn't be far fetched to make a PC version of it too later down the road and put it on steam, I noticed a lot of new developers try that. With Unity3D as the game engine, it's just compiling the same code in a different format, so there's not a whole lot of extra work that's needed.

#7 Konjunktur

Konjunktur

Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:09 PM

Building a game for PC is a bit much for a single person so that's why I decided to start smaller with a mobile game. Depending with how things go, it wouldn't be far fetched to make a PC version of it too later down the road and put it on steam, I noticed a lot of new developers try that. With Unity3D as the game engine, it's just compiling the same code in a different format, so there's not a whole lot of extra work that's needed.

Yeah but it's still crap because it's not a clean arena ripoff. Sorry :/

#8 soh

soh
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall

Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:46 PM

Oh well, maybe I'll get them next time!

I agree that real WoW arena is a lot more fun and interesting, especially when balancing is pretty decent, but it's also a bit more complicated to understand and watch, hence the changes over the years. While I love WoW arena, in terms of popularity it's not even close to some of the other games that are played at an esports level. So I'm not sure it would be a good idea in general to try and make a new game that only has WoW arena as it would be really hard to get a solid player base. Even WoW with all of its PvE content has a hard time keeping a high enough arena player base.

HOWEVER, even though this is a mobile game which are generally simpler, I think if you give it a bit more of a try, you'll find that it's not that bad. You still have 12 abilities to keep track of (4 per hero) which give you a far larger advantage if you use them correctly and you need to keep track of the position of all 3 heroes. If we are to look back at some of the previous seasons in WoW arena, that's a whole lot more stuff that you have to do than some of the classes that were being played back then.

This isn't to say there's any level of comparison between the two. This is a mobile game that you randomly play while sitting on the toilet, waiting for your food or any other downtime. So in other words, it's nothing to be taken too seriously, at least in its current form.

#9 soh

soh
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall

Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:49 PM

Theres been this kind of games already and they flopped so I dont have faith in this one either ;Z

Yeah, it's definitely not easy, but I got this far so who knows.

#10 Arukeks

Arukeks
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Blackmoore
  • Glutsturm / Emberstorm
  • Talents: Demonology 1/0/0/0/0/1/0
  • 2v2: 671
  • 3v3: 2632
  • 5v5: 96
  • RBG: 1903

Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:45 AM

If only it was for PC and basically just a complete rip of WoW arena in a CS:GO/Rocket League/Dota like shell.

With good class design obviously.

Ehm there is already two Well made WoW Arena Like MoBa Games for PC. Bloodlinechampions which is almost dead by now and Battlerite which is the newest Game from Stunlocked. Try it you will Love it. There is even a Free Weekend on steam right now.

#11 Konjunktur

Konjunktur

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:21 AM

Ehm there is already two Well made WoW Arena Like MoBa Games for PC. Bloodlinechampions which is almost dead by now and Battlerite which is the newest Game from Stunlocked. Try it you will Love it. There is even a Free Weekend on steam right now.

I've played them both and none of them are WoW Arena "like" MOBAs. If you havn't noticed there are several very important differences between them and WoW such as:

- DR system

- Number of spells/champion (& complexity of spells)

- Targetting & Aiming system

- 3rd Person Camera and movement system

BLC/BR is DOTA without all the PvE stuff, not WoW PvP.

Edited by Konjunktur, 17 July 2017 - 01:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<