thesentinel
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Balance 1/2/2/./././.

Posted 09 March 2017 - 07:26 PM

Since the beginning of wow I have been fascinated by PvP and arena

I've tried PvE but it's not my cup of tea. During the past few years i've been trying to reach 2200+ arena rating.  I have tried on feral during Wotlk and with mage during Cata/Pandaria and Warlords.  My highest rating was 1795 during WOTLK with feral (kittycleave) 

I did allot of research and excessive practice in arena but I never managed to reach my desired rating. I researched on arena comps, strategies, (burst) rotations etc. I personally feel I learned everything that there was to be learned about my class and read the necessary information about other classes such a defensive's, cooldown etc but with no results. 

Warlord and Pandaria have been a true hell for me as mage as everyone said I should easily reach 2K+ rating with my class and yet I simply couldn’t. In warlords I had a 2.4k+ rogue help me out of free will after I asked him for some feedback. I could visually see myself improve with this guy but at one point he said he couldn't help me anymore. Jesus that stung... was I that bad?

I know mindset is a big part of the game but it just so demotivating not being able to progress or find a proper team that wants to put in the effort to actually improve on strategies and gameplay. Everyone just magically expects things to go easy and smooth coordination without voice chat. 

I never really played the hard classes during any of the expansions.

Feral was pretty powerful during Wotlk and so was mage during cata and warlords yet I did

not succeed. 

Maybe I should accept the fact that I’m not a high end player and don’t have the skill or game sense to reach my goals. For me it's almost depressing since I am truly a competitive player..

I wonder if anyone has ever been through the same shit?

#2 Girthylight

Girthylight
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:32 PM

Short Answer: Yes.

Long Answer: Sounds to me like you are so pre occupied with climbing actual rating and getting better at the game that you simply don't enjoy the game for what it is. The game has not been in a great state for a while now and the multitude of hours it takes to learn stuff like positioning and how to generally play is not worth the investment for most low rated / new players.

Have you played any other competitive multiplayer games in which you reached ~ 99th percentile? If so, try to really think what attributes you have that helped you achieve a higher rating. Was it patience ( queing multiple games without hesitation) , insane reflexes (kicked a 0.1 sec cast) or something else?
You say you have a truely competitive spirit, then queing multiple games every day shouldn't be a problem unless you are demotivated from simply not enjoying the game. You might keep telling yourself that you tried to get to 2200 in WotLK and failed, and that you can do it this time, in which you most certainly can. But times change, the game loses its appeal for you and you see yourself just queueing miserably to get better with minimal results.

My advice is to try a bunch of other competitive games, and see if there is one that you can play seamlessly for a long time. If you play it because you enjoy it, then you will a much better time and you will improve much faster with the right mind set.

#3 thesentinel

thesentinel
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Balance 1/2/2/./././.

Posted 10 March 2017 - 01:47 AM

I recently stopped playing overwatch where I was about to progress into diamond and had quite some fun but somehow wow pulled me back in. What me reach high platinum in overwatch the fact that I some 

Ive also played starcraft low platinum during Hots but here I did not really give it all. It was more of period where I didnt know what to play.  in 2007 I was 3th of the world on medal of honor online on PSP does that count lol?

I know the game hasn't been in a great state but ultimately that shouldn't matter except for the fact that it's increasingly hard to find a proper team at lower rating that wants to stick together. I que loads of times on a day but just the whole group finding system for arena is stupid. You invite or get invited by someone and maybe win a few games and then maybe lose 1-2 and right away people leave. No constructive feedback or anyhing, they just leave

Like really? what do they expect? a win 20 winstreak by just calling a main and maybe an off target in the beginning? The whole arena scene seems to be disconnected or maybe that is just at lower rating.

#4 Call Me Teranaye

Call Me Teranaye
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Darksorrow
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Beast Mastery 1/0/2/1/0/2/2
  • 2v2: 2969
  • 3v3: 3078
  • 5v5: 1734
  • RBG: 2079

Posted 10 March 2017 - 06:03 AM

hire a coacher

#5 Tapion

Tapion
  • Premium Junkies
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Assassination

Posted 13 March 2017 - 01:06 PM

-  Highest rating 1795 that probably means you are doing something wrong, like how many games are you playing a week roughly?

-  Just because a person gets to 2.4k or even R1 doesn't mean they can teach you how to play your class.  There are people out there so skilled they can tell you exactly what to do with your class in the middle of an arena match and you'll see those people get glad every single season without using the same partners or classes.

-  Refuse all games without voice chat (even more so right now since its the end of the season and you got some really skilled players working on alt achievements)

-  Most people you run into at 1800 simply aren't going to know what you are doing wrong or even if the problem isnt you but they might blame you anyway.  If you are in voice chat and they have an idea of something you should be doing they will let you know.

-  Don't be afraid to host your own party finder and pick and choose your team mates based on achievements and comp, im not saying to set a requirement thats a lie like 2.4k xp only.  What i'm saying is host it yourself so you can hand pick the players yourself and like that you can set that you require voice.

#6 Tapion

Tapion
  • Premium Junkies
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Assassination

Posted 13 March 2017 - 01:15 PM

hire a coacher

Where do you find one of those?

#7 Guizado

Guizado
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Aggra (Português)
  • Blackout
  • Talents: Discipline 2/0/1/1/1/1
  • RBG: 384

Posted 14 March 2017 - 12:25 PM

Where do you find one of those?

Probably skill capped and those boosting websites.

#8 xResentfulx

xResentfulx
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • EU-Ghostlands
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Havoc 1/1/2/0/0/0/1
  • 2v2: 1527
  • 3v3: 1868
  • RBG: 1781
  • LocationEurope

Posted 16 March 2017 - 01:51 PM

-  Highest rating 1795 that probably means you are doing something wrong, like how many games are you playing a week roughly?

-  Just because a person gets to 2.4k or even R1 doesn't mean they can teach you how to play your class.  There are people out there so skilled they can tell you exactly what to do with your class in the middle of an arena match and you'll see those people get glad every single season without using the same partners or classes.

-  Refuse all games without voice chat (even more so right now since its the end of the season and you got some really skilled players working on alt achievements)

-  Most people you run into at 1800 simply aren't going to know what you are doing wrong or even if the problem isnt you but they might blame you anyway.  If you are in voice chat and they have an idea of something you should be doing they will let you know.

-  Don't be afraid to host your own party finder and pick and choose your team mates based on achievements and comp, im not saying to set a requirement thats a lie like 2.4k xp only.  What i'm saying is host it yourself so you can hand pick the players yourself and like that you can set that you require voice.

this right here buddy. Maybe even try and reroll some fotm shit, it gets easy then.

#9 Maleficent

Maleficent
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Blackhand
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Affliction 0/0/0/2/0/0/0
  • 2v2: 1464
  • 3v3: 2249

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:57 AM

If you even have to ask... 

0 user(s) are reading this topic