Photo

Considering college degrees

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Buglamp

Buglamp

Posted 15 February 2017 - 04:01 PM

So I been talking to a therapist about turning myself into a more happy and useful human being and stuff and I'm considering career options. Collecting opinions from people so I figured "Why not AJOT?" "They are probably people.".

On my list of options I'm looking into ---

Art Therapy: I like art, I'm good at art, and IRL I'm a patient and chill person. This is not a high paying job though and it sounds new agey as hell even though it appears pretty legit.

Civil Engineering(Forestry or Renewables): These are both big in my area, and potentially you get to work outdoors. Working in a nice environment is a big plus. I also was good at math and design related stuff before I became all gloomy and stopped doing school work.

Architecture: Sounds intimidating, but I'm very interested in it and it's apparently a high paying job which is nice. I understand that early on it'll probably involve less creative and interesting stuff than I'd like but that it involves some creativity is still a plus.

IDK, AJOT, what do you think I should do?

#2 Melaniatrump

Melaniatrump
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Korgath
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Frost 2/0/2/0/0/1/1
  • 3v3: 1420

Posted 15 February 2017 - 04:36 PM

Honest opinion here not meaning to be rude at all.

If you are looking to get into a career to make you happy then you are looking at it all wrong, a job/career path won't magically make you happy. Also if one of your main reasons to pursue a career is to bring joy to your life I 100% would not suggest a career such as aritecture because although that seems like an entertaining and challenging job, it is a tiresome and extremely time consuming stressful job (have a lot of family who are aritechs). You need to find a job that you could actually see yourself looking forward to go into when you wake up in the morning and if it's something like art therapy (which I don't know anything about) you have to think "Do I REALLY need to go to school and get a degree for this? I mean are there employers specifically looking for art therapists with degrees? If there is then go for it. If there isn't then make you own business out of it.

#3 Buglamp

Buglamp

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:31 PM

Not looking for a job to make me happy, just one that I don't dislike doing. So more look at what negatives I want to avoid. I also don't think I need to look forward to it, just not dread it. Like, if I have a job where I'm just "okay" about doing it in the morning that's fine for me. I'm in the early process of just looking into jobs that have some immediate appeal to me and seeing what doing them actually involves and if I'd like the job itself and not whatever uneducated and possibly romantic notion of it is. So I'll take into account what you said about architecture, I don't want long hours and stress.

As for art therapists, you need a degree and certification to practice it. It's not something you can just start with no credentials. So I can't just make my own business out of it with no degree.

#4 Bersihasi

Bersihasi
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Antonidas
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Mistweaver 0/1/2/2/0/2/2
  • 2v2: 1046
  • 3v3: 2301
  • 5v5: 288
  • RBG: 2421

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:05 PM

Apply for internships in those fields. Does not have to be the exact position you want.

F.e. it should be easier to get an internship as a draftsman than an architect without any degree. Draftsman often work together with architects so you would get a good feeling of the work you might have to do. 

If you already want to start studying you could go for civil engineering and switch to architecture later. The best outcome would be if you get into an university that offers both civil engineering and architecture and that has some of the same subjects in both studies. That way if you switch from one to the other you can transfer your credits.

Edited by Bersihasi, 15 February 2017 - 06:06 PM.

Posted Image

#5 Warmonger_Skulm

Warmonger_Skulm
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Unholy 0/2/2/1/1/2/2
  • 2v2: 1509
  • 3v3: 2548

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:07 PM

So I been talking to a therapist about turning myself into a more happy and useful human being and stuff and I'm considering career options. Collecting opinions from people so I figured "Why not AJOT?" "They are probably people.".

On my list of options I'm looking into ---

Art Therapy: I like art, I'm good at art, and IRL I'm a patient and chill person. This is not a high paying job though and it sounds new agey as hell even though it appears pretty legit.

Civil Engineering(Forestry or Renewables): These are both big in my area, and potentially you get to work outdoors. Working in a nice environment is a big plus. I also was good at math and design related stuff before I became all gloomy and stopped doing school work.

Architecture: Sounds intimidating, but I'm very interested in it and it's apparently a high paying job which is nice. I understand that early on it'll probably involve less creative and interesting stuff than I'd like but that it involves some creativity is still a plus.

IDK, AJOT, what do you think I should do?

Interesting post, 

First of all, it is ok if you are not extremely passionate about your job, just don't be disgusted by it. Make sure you get some time for yourself and it should be fine.

I would recommend Civil Engineering / Forestry / Renewables because it looks like the safest bet for me. Since this is a job with demand in your area you will get a steady salary and probably you will have some time for yourself. This job is not a NYSE job after all so I assume it will not be as demanding as an investment banking / corporate law occupation.

Remember that you are investing your time+effort into the job so you have to calculate your payoffs. Even though Architecture looks like the one with the highest payoff it is not, because it will take away a lot of your time, require you to be dedicated, and you will be required to perform well all the time. These will be your costs, in addition to your sunk costs (living expenses etc). So at the end, you really have to look at your final payoff when accepting a job.

On the other hand, Civil Engineering/Forestry/Renewables looks like a much more steady job, where you can invest in yourself + knowledge and have a long term career. In addition, I am assuming you will be able to work in governmental projects as well, which will help you make more connections in your field.

I am not dismissing Art Therapy, I just don't want to comment on it because I don't know the details about the occupation.

I wish you all the best, hopefully you will not forget the one most important thing: make the best out of your life.

#6 Buglamp

Buglamp

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:54 PM

Thanks. I should mention I have a relative who's in the renewables field I can maybe hit up for some knowledge of what it's actually like and who may be able to help me get into it if I end up getting a degree in that direction.

#7 Thaya

Thaya
  • Moderators
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Destruction 1/2/0/1/2/0/1
  • LocationRussia

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:31 PM

you should become a professional shitposter
Default UI Scripts - Compilation & how-to

#8 Buglamp

Buglamp

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:37 AM

I've heard it said that people who're trying to find their passion are ignoring their passion because it's what they're already doing.

So Thaya you have a great point. I should look into monetizing my shitposting instead of deluding myself that I can be happy with some job society deems more useful.

I've crossed off all other career options from my list and will fire my useless therapist who's clearly guiding me toward some form of drudgery and despair and get back to doing what I truly love.

#9 Twaenkz

Twaenkz
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Darksorrow
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Unholy 1/0/2/0/0/2/2
  • 2v2: 2103
  • 3v3: 1860
  • RBG: 1465
  • LocationSweden

Posted 16 February 2017 - 02:40 AM

Man if theres something i learnt having taken 2016 as a year to think about my future alot, is that no ones opinion should even matter in what you want to do with your life, if you have those 3 thats a great start , look into all of them abit more, eventually one will appeal more then others in the most common circumstance.But if you are truely looking for an opinion anyway,  even if for example architecture seems abit intimidating the fact that you still consider it even during that might be worth it. Were only scared of shit we dont know, and if you have the interest then that will drive you to success within it. 

I recently decided what I want to do in life and it took me like 4 years to commit to the decission and whole of 2016 thinking about it as a main prio and not just a dream job. If you can come up with 3 jobs that you would love straight off the bat like that, then i envy you. 

#10 ezekielgraves

ezekielgraves
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Twisting Nether
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Holy 1/0/0/0/0/0/2
  • 2v2: 1247
  • 3v3: 384

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:19 AM

Pursue what you like most so that you won't end up with a high carreer with a high pay and a huge disappointment.

#11 watchmepwn

watchmepwn
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Frost 1/1/0/2/2/2/2
  • 2v2: 1644
  • 3v3: 2260
  • RBG: 1142

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:14 PM

3 replies is what it took to show aj's true potential.

#12 Melaniatrump

Melaniatrump
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Korgath
  • Vengeance

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:30 PM

3 replies is what it took to show aj's true potential.

I mean to be fair this is the only real response this guy really needed.

#13 Hollowinside

Hollowinside
  • LocationZanarkand

Posted 16 February 2017 - 02:05 PM

Not nice. At all. :(

I mean to be fair this is the only real response this guy really needed.

You should probably never become a parent. (it's a joke, please don't crucify me)

---

@OP Your best bet is to probably go for Civil Engineering/Forestry/Renewables, and since you have a family member who's experienced in this department it should be really easy for you to collect valuable information on everything you'd want to know about it. However, the safest choice doesn't always equal what's best for you. At the end of the day, follow your inner voice.

Art is good, I like art myself. But (unfortunately) it is very rarely enough to make a living out of it. I would probably advise you to create art as a hobby and not as a job.

If what you truly want is to fix your psychological condition, then you should definitely consider some form of physical activity since it releases a good amount of Serotinin in your brain, which is the substance it produces when you feel happy (which I guess is your primary life goal anyway).

Because the random name generator might pump out Lortfanden, which sounds like a pretty generic fantasy Warrior name in English, until you realize it means "Shit Fuck" in Danish.

#14 Melaniatrump

Melaniatrump
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Korgath
  • Vengeance

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:40 PM

Not nice. At all. :(

You should probably never become a parent. (it's a joke, please don't crucify me)
---
@OP Your best bet is to probably go for Civil Engineering/Forestry/Renewables, and since you have a family member who's experienced in this department it should be really easy for you to collect valuable information on everything you'd want to know about it. However, the safest choice doesn't always equal what's best for you. At the end of the day, follow your inner voice.
Art is good, I like art myself. But (unfortunately) it is very rarely enough to make a living out of it. I would probably advise you to create art as a hobby and not as a job.
If what you truly want is to fix your psychological condition, then you should definitely consider some form of physical activity since it releases a good amount of Serotinin in your brain, which is the substance it produces when you feel happy (which I guess is your primary life goal anyway).[/size]

Not crucifying but just saying, asking major life advice on a video game forum specifically for pvp on an mmo isn't going to really get you anywhere. Guess it's better than /b/

#15 Thaya

Thaya
  • Moderators
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • LocationRussia

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:59 PM

I've heard it said that people who're trying to find their passion are ignoring their passion because it's what they're already doing.

So Thaya you have a great point. I should look into monetizing my shitposting instead of deluding myself that I can be happy with some job society deems more useful.

I've crossed off all other career options from my list and will fire my useless therapist who's clearly guiding me toward some form of drudgery and despair and get back to doing what I truly love.

ye

#16 Lloix

Lloix
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Korgath
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Subtlety 1/1/2/1/0/1/0
  • 2v2: 2301
  • 3v3: 2106
  • RBG: 384
  • LocationDying at the bottom of a pit in the blazing sun

Posted 25 February 2017 - 07:24 PM

Don't waste your time/money on shit like that. Wake up, you're not getting a career out of 'art therapy'. Become an electrician/plumber/engineer or if you like movies apply to join the teamsters union. 

Gotta grow up eventually and realize that hobbies are not the same things as professions. 

Or don't listen to me, rack up student loan debt (because banks can't fuck people on mortgages much nowadays) and become a bartender like 90% of people who go to college.

#17 Buglamp

Buglamp

Posted 25 February 2017 - 10:38 PM

I don't need to worry about student loan debt. I don't really need to have a job at all. I'd be fine with a low salary if I liked the job well enough.

#18 Thaya

Thaya
  • Moderators
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • LocationRussia

Posted Yesterday, 05:28 AM

wanting a career in 2017 lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic