Focused Rage or Mortal Combo

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 andiwache

andiwache
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 November 2016 - 05:13 AM

Hello Warris,

yesterday I saw a few streams from Joefernandes and I was wondering why he was using "Focused Rage" over "Mortal Combo"? Moreover I saw a guide at SkillCapped where they pointed out that with 7.1 "Focused Rage" should be better when you have good uptime.

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=202593

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=207982

What changes in 7.1 made it stronger than before 7.1, the 10% strength buff?

Which talent do you guys prefer in 2s, 3s?

How is the PvP-prio (rotation) with "Focused Rage"?

Thank you for feedback!

Edited by Nragedwow, 29 November 2016 - 05:43 AM.

#2 Häxantutto

Häxantutto
  • LocationSWE

Posted 29 November 2016 - 11:24 AM

You are better off changing class completely than changing that talent, as far as I know, you'll still be out damage by any other class :S

Focused Rage is used in PvE, seems to do more DPS in PvP aswell if you have the rage & uptime for it, I personally dont like that talent and wont use it, but im stuck in the sewers so who am I to give advice on it.

#3 Aylien

Aylien
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • CN-荆棘谷
  • Battle Group 14
  • Talents: 武器 2/1/1/0/1/1
  • RBG: 1489
  • LocationChina 重庆

Posted 30 November 2016 - 12:21 AM

Your damage over all will increase with focused rage if you never waste a mortal strike. Mortal combo don't give you an extra mortal strike, it's still once per 5 seconds. That's why I think focused rage could bring more dps.
It's not because of 7.1 changes, we are still learning legion pvp, I guess people just realized it someway.
But like Haxan said, that doesn't make much sense, and I don't like it either.

Edit:
And I don't like stormbolt/shockwave as well. :D
I don't think there is a regular rotation for that. Just use it when you have enough rage for everything (including slam).

#4 Phoo

Phoo
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Frost 2/2/2/2/1/2/.

Posted 30 November 2016 - 06:17 AM

Your damage over all will increase with focused rage if you never waste a mortal strike. Mortal combo don't give you an extra mortal strike, it's still once per 5 seconds. That's why I think focused rage could bring more dps.

You might be correct, but In terms of overall dps this assumes that you're able to keep MS with a single charge on CD. A major benefit of having two charges is being less susceptible to being kited.The burst of a double MS is probably going to be higher than a 3x focused rage MS too (in pvp, anyway).

#5 xogen

xogen
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • EU-Ravencrest
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Frost 1/1/0/2/0/2/0
  • 2v2: 192
  • 3v3: 2046
  • RBG: 192
  • LocationFinland

Posted 30 November 2016 - 06:34 AM

I think the best way to utilize focused rage is with sharpened blade for 1m+ crits after colossus. Expect to see it next patch.

#6 ~Invictus

~Invictus
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Crushridge
  • Cataclysme / Cataclysm
  • Talents:

Posted 30 November 2016 - 01:57 PM

Pretty much this. It's basically a playstyle based around Sharpen Blade and Shattered Defenses. 

I guess it's debatable and depends on your playstyle. Could see it work really well, but Mortal Combo has more value in long, drawn out exchanges.

#7 Häxantutto

Häxantutto
  • LocationSWE

Posted 30 November 2016 - 06:27 PM

Been playing alot of 3s recently, stuck on 2.3k rating, cant get any higher, not even close to gladiator rating, how is this even possible, I became bad player after getting r1 title, 7 seasons in a row?.... nice class, not viable with any comp

#8 moneky

moneky

Posted 30 November 2016 - 07:18 PM

Been playing alot of 3s recently, stuck on 2.3k rating, cant get any higher, not even close to gladiator rating, how is this even possible, I became bad player after getting r1 title, 7 seasons in a row?.... nice class, not viable with any comp

https://gyazo.com/10...ec965575515755 this is above 2500 rating on EU 

Edited by moneky, 30 November 2016 - 07:18 PM.

C51bowq.png

#9 xogen

xogen
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • EU-Ravencrest
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Frost 1/1/0/2/0/2/0
  • 2v2: 192
  • 3v3: 2046
  • RBG: 192
  • LocationFinland

Posted 30 November 2016 - 07:38 PM

There is TSG at 2.8k. Thats your best bet. Idk about the current meta tho but easily glad viable comp. Prolly not r1 viable.
I was playing TSG on my alt DK at 2,3k with 16 traits and missing chill streak. Warr didn't have paintrain and our ilvl was 840.

Edited by xogen, 30 November 2016 - 07:40 PM.

#10 Aylien

Aylien
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • CN-荆棘谷
  • Battle Group 14
  • LocationChina 重庆

Posted 01 December 2016 - 03:38 PM

You might be correct, but In terms of overall dps this assumes that you're able to keep MS with a single charge on CD. A major benefit of having two charges is being less susceptible to being kited.The burst of a double MS is probably going to be higher than a 3x focused rage MS too (in pvp, anyway).

It's true.

#11 andiwache

andiwache
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 December 2016 - 05:59 PM

Hey guys, thanks for your feedback!

It's true.

It's not because of 7.1 changes, we are still learning legion pvp, I guess people just realized it someway.
But like Haxan said, that doesn't make much sense, and I don't like it either.

Edit:
And I don't like stormbolt/shockwave as well. :D
I don't think there is a regular rotation for that. Just use it when you have enough rage for everything (including slam).

I don't like the talent "Focused Rage" either and I also think that you must have enough uptime for it so that it is better than "Mortal Combo". So I won't use it...

Edited by Nragedwow, 01 December 2016 - 06:00 PM.

#12 Chili

Chili
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Auchindoun
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Arms 1/0/2/2/1/2/1
  • 2v2: 1127
  • 3v3: 2418
  • LocationMalbork, Poland

Posted 02 December 2016 - 04:29 AM

Ait from my pov "focused rage" could be viable if your uptime is low against some comps (FMP for e.g) so you can keep stacking it till you get to your target and then simply use only 2x GCDs including CS.

*Then if you play against anything else keep "mortal combo" in mind as a good option since you don't have to worry that you are about to waste any 2/2 from it.

(+ using a mortal can reset a CD on your mortal, sometimes making it useable back to back infinite times)

* also, there is an "AoE 1x shot guide" from Bajheera implying the usage of "focused rage" as an actual anti-melee comps specc.

But... I personally hate using "focused rage" so I barely use it in either of mentioned encounters.

#13 Aylien

Aylien
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • CN-荆棘谷
  • Battle Group 14
  • LocationChina 重庆

Posted 02 December 2016 - 04:43 AM

Looks like everybody mentioned a lot of proofs of focused rage's viability, but no one like it and would use it.

#14 Pinka

Pinka
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Argent Dawn
  • Cataclysme / Cataclysm
  • Talents: Arms 0/0/1/1/0/2/0
  • RBG: 2130

Posted 03 December 2016 - 03:42 PM

The uptime debate comes from both sides. In pure pressure sence slam does more damage than a FR charge. But since in pvp you often swim in rage its rarely an issue. But there are a lot of cases where slamming would be better than stacking FR.

This is a conflict that fucks me up personally tbh. (Fuck my rotation OCD or whatever you want to call it.) I wish FR just replaced slam and was balanced accordingly. Having two fillers is just annoying.

Totally worth it vs casters or combos that dont stack. But vs melee combos you might prefere to pick up sweeping + combo.

Focussed rage is viable in pvp. But it's easy to mess it up in the heat of battle. (wasting charges or draining yourself out of rage).

+ it's nerfed in pvp with 15% each stack. It's great for burst but meh without.

To a poster above. Mortal combo does indeed give you two mortal strikes. When tactician procs your second charge keeps cooling down, meaning you effectively reduce the avg cd of ms.

Example: Tactician procs of ms> cs> ms = 2 gcds. Meanwhile your second ms charge has been recharging within those 2 gcds. Which means you can ms sooner than you would with only 1 charge.

Just check your UI or any addon that tracks it. You see he second charge cooling down on the background while your current ms keeps benefitting from tactician procs.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<