Photo

Music nerds please help

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Buglamp

Buglamp

Posted 17 August 2016 - 04:26 PM

I've been making music-ish stuff in ableton more often lately and my ears are hurting. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong, overusing something or whatever. I'm a total layman with mixing, I just use it to make arrangements using midi and play around with different effects.

I've tried lowering the volume(obvious) but it's only somewhat helpful. I'm wondering if there's like a checklist of common causes for this sort of problem and I can tweak things as necessary.

#2 YVNG_CARL_YVNG

YVNG_CARL_YVNG
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Die ewige Wacht
  • Glutsturm / Emberstorm
  • Talents: Subtlety 1/1/2/1/0/1/.

Posted 19 August 2016 - 08:21 AM

my dad makes music about 3 hours+ every day and he's never had a problem like that. i suppose you're using ableton live, probably with a studio headset? this doesn't sound normal to me dude, if anything i'd consult a doctor

#3 Buglamp

Buglamp

Posted 19 August 2016 - 05:10 PM

I consulted the internet and apparently there's a thing called listening fatigue or ear fatigue or whatever, basically doesn't affect everyone equally but listening to stuff for too long can cause it, especially at high volume with headphones but not limited to that.

#4 drugdealerx

drugdealerx
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Arcane 0/2/0/2/1/2
  • 2v2: 1911
  • 3v3: 2243
  • LocationFinland

Posted 19 August 2016 - 07:28 PM

i get ear fatigue after listening to drone metal for several hours, however it doesn't feel painful, just a mild discomfort

so really heavy long-duration tones combined with high volume do it for me, i haven't noticed any long term changes with my hearing though so i'm not worried

#5 Buglamp

Buglamp

Posted 19 August 2016 - 08:04 PM

Yeah I've taken a break and it's gone away.

#6 YVNG_CARL_YVNG

YVNG_CARL_YVNG
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Die ewige Wacht
  • Glutsturm / Emberstorm

Posted 20 August 2016 - 08:49 AM

i get ear fatigue after listening to drone metal for several hours, however it doesn't feel painful, just a mild discomfort

so really heavy long-duration tones combined with high volume do it for me, i haven't noticed any long term changes with my hearing though so i'm not worried

i listened to the entirety of Earth 2: Special Low Frequency Edition on studio headphones on close to max volume and it felt like my body was disintegrating. after i took em off it was as if someone spun me for like half an hour.

how can you go multiple hours? what were you listening to?

#7 drugdealerx

drugdealerx
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • LocationFinland

Posted 20 August 2016 - 02:02 PM

earth, sunn o))) and nadja for strictly drone but i also like boris and stephen o'malleys side project KTL for similar music

i don't have studio grade equipment though, just basic 100€ normie headphones so i'm not getting the full audiophile experience

however i am going to see sunn o))) live next weekend and i honestly can't wait to listen and feel seriously loud drone

#8 YVNG_CARL_YVNG

YVNG_CARL_YVNG
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Die ewige Wacht
  • Glutsturm / Emberstorm

Posted 20 August 2016 - 04:58 PM

I'm 100% fucking jelly

Their shows are out of this world, dude

Sunn O))) is easily in my top3 bands I want to see live in my life

I've seen one of the last Swans shows though so I'm happy bout that

#9 drugdealerx

drugdealerx
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • LocationFinland

Posted 28 August 2016 - 06:01 PM

Yeah so I saw Sunn O))) live yesterday and it was fucking cool

I got to the venue pretty late, about 20 minutes before Sunn was playing. Tickets were sold out and it was a club gig so it was really packed. When I got there there were still places to stand at the front but being an idiot I went to buy a shirt since they were selling cheap merch. Needless to say after waiting in line for around 15 minutes the hall was filled to the brim and I had to settle for a spot around 15 meters away from the stage. Didn't seem that big of a deal at the time but in hindsight I really should have bought the merch after the gig.

So I put my earplugs in and the fog machines start running. It took about 5-7 minutes until you could see maybe half a meter in front of you. So after that I hear some applause and to my surprise Attila walks to the stage and starts reciting some ritual chant-type vocals. I was expecting Attila to show up ~30 minutes into the gig from what I've read online. At this point I noticed some people around me pretty confused as to what they have bought tickets to.

After around 10 minutes of chanting i notice Stephen and Greg walk in. I got pretty tense since I was expecting the first chord to be the loudest I've ever heard. I dont know if it was the earplugs or me standing pretty far away, but it REALLY wasn't that loud. I could tell how powerful their equipment was and it sounded amazing, but I wasn't able to echolocate the last meal I ate in my stomach like I had assumed. I noticed some people around me leave pretty quickly, confused as to what they had bought a ticket to. Most of the people stayed the whole gig though

At the one hour mark I started to notice the vibrations a lot more. I think they increased the volume slightly. They started playing these really heavy and long chords and I could feel myself vibrating to the music. I also started feeling pretty tired at that same time, but I didn't think much of it at the time.

Attila also disappeared backstage at some point, I'm not sure when but honestly, with all the fogs I probably wouldn't have noticed anyway. An hour and a half in he came back on stage with this strange outfit on (http://i.imgur.com/x6MMRrN.jpg). He had a headpiece with 15 or so different lasers attached to it pointing to where he was looking. Honestly looked really fucking cool. He also started doing vocals again along with random creepy maniac laughs every once in a while.

Nearing the end of the gig I wasn't satisfied with the fact that my ears didn't hurt yet, so I looked to move a bit closer. It was way too packed though and I didn't get very close so I just stayed where I was and enjoyed the last 15 or so minutes of the heavy chords they were playing again.

Sunn played for around an hour and 50 minutes overall, and when they stopped people applauded for a good 2 minutes or so. Honestly felt a bit awkward but maybe I'm just not that used to metal gigs. I took my earplugs out and headed out with my new shirt. At no point during or after the gig did I feel pain or discomfort in my ears, but I did take precautions to prevent that. One thing I did notice was that I was really tired after the gig. I almost fell asleep on the train home, and at this point it was only 11pm. All the vibrations definitely took a toll on me, even if they weren't as extreme as I thought they would be.

Overall the gig was fun, and me not getting the extreme amounts of noise was probably my own fault not getting a front row spot. I'll definitely go again if they come back to Finland (hopefully they wont take a 6 year break like this time). Boris is also announcing an European tour on wednesday that's including Finland so I'll definitely go see that.

Here's a garbage quality photo I sneaked of the stage. You really can't see anything due to how much fog there was. http://i.imgur.com/WUzbany.jpg

#10 drugdealerx

drugdealerx
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • LocationFinland

Posted 28 August 2016 - 06:02 PM

my wall of text is actually completely irrelevant to the topic but im posting it anyway :)

#11 YVNG_CARL_YVNG

YVNG_CARL_YVNG
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Die ewige Wacht
  • Glutsturm / Emberstorm

Posted 01 September 2016 - 06:58 AM

thanks for the concert description man, sounds great

when I went to see swans it was a really small venue and I was in the first row the entire time, there was enough place to move around like a spastics and.. I did

had earplugs in, but not the entire time. a friend of my dads experienced acute hearing loss after the to be kind tour, so I wasnt down for that. it was really fucking loud tho.

if boris is coming to Ger ill definitely go see them, iirc the tour rn is pink album, too, right? thats nice. I just wanna see Wata freak out

#12 drugdealerx

drugdealerx
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • LocationFinland

Posted 01 September 2016 - 01:51 PM

yeah the tour was announced yesterday, they're doing at least 2 shows in germany

i already got a ticket to the show in helsinki and it's even the same venue so i'll be sure to get in early for this one

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<