Photo

Which player(s) did you look up to?

• Please log in to reply
183 replies to this topic

#1 Hollowinside

Hollowinside
  • LocationZanarkand

Posted 11 August 2016 - 03:46 PM

Hello everyone! I hope you are having a good time!

I was a bit bored with lots of spare time, so I decided to do something I wanted to do for a long time - open a thread like this, asking the (mostly highest rated) people of AJ which players worked as an inspiration for them in order to achieve Glad or other prestigious rank 1 titles. You all must have surely had someone you looked up to before you reached to the heights on which you are today. If so, who were they and on what class/spec?

The reason I am doing this is because I was curious to see which people were admired by who, and because I felt like this is a nice way of ''warming up'' the climate in this site and make everyone appreciate some other players more. For example, here I go:

Ret Pala: Vanguards, Avengelyne, Mystic, Elypsia. For me, it all started with Vanguards right here on this site, when I first found his Ret guide. This was the first time I felt the urge to start playing more competitively and made me search for more and more tips on how I could improve. One other reason for which I always looked up to Sam is because he could run almost anything he wanted to Glad/rank1 range and make it seem effortless. Later on I came to know about Mystic and saw his MoP Ret video which hyped me a lot, and eventually heard about Avengelyne (who has helped me out a bunch by answering all of my Ret questions! <3) and met Elypsia in-game. I guess any rating I managed to achieve as Ret is all due to them. Thank you, every one of you.

Holy Pala: Xonika, Jimjim. I always admired Xonika because (imho) he is the closest HPala to the maximum skillcap of this spec. Jimjim was a very inspirational character for me because he always played with different comps/talents/glyphs/enchants/etc and he always made it work in his own, unique way.

Warrior: Well, as shameful as it is to admit, at some point when we were new to the game we all followed some Swifty and Bajheera tips or admired Klinda's crit montages. They were an inspiration for me to start playing the Warrior class, and I fell more in love with it thanks to Trillebartom and JoeFernandes! JoeFernandes is one of these streamers who note any mistakes they do during their gameplay which help out a LOT on improving.

Enh Shaman: Jaime and Diablous. Maybe even Vanguards on his alt Shaman a little bit! >_> Jaime -despite all the hate being thrown at him- is actually a really good player and has always kindly helped me out each time I felt had spec-related questions. Diablous was hyping me up with his Enhance videos and some really good editing combined with awesome music. My favorite one is The Black Mountain!

Resto Shaman: This spec is something that I always wanted to try. When I saw Cdew streaming 2 or 3 times, I think this was when I made the decision to try out Resto Shaman and get a taste of the fun that this spec has. What really intrigued me was the way that he would save every cd for an appropriate situation and use it accordingly without panicking, as if he had evrything that could possibly happen under control. Double melees made me sick tho! X_X

WW Monk: Voltarius/x. Yes, tbh I have to admit being a fan of that French team I guess. :P I first saw Voltariux playing some 2v2 matches with Volkovitch as WW/Dk on like 2.400+, and that amazed me. Voltariux knew exactly what he needed to do and when, and was an absurd livelord.

Dk: Volkovitch, Mes. Both of them are quite chilled and insanely good. I am still jelly of Mes's Dark Sims! ._. He had (I don't know if he is still playing) a godlike awareness and knew exactly when to use Dark Sim to its full potential, making it seem the most OP thing in game. Volko has a Youtube channel on which he used to upload gucci videos of 3v3 arena footage. I feel like I learned a lot from there as well (not only about Dk).

Mage: Hansol. Yup. Hansol's world PvP videos always hyped the shit out of me, especially his 5.4 movie (Hansol 4) which I would reccomend everyone to see, even if they are not playing Mage.

That's all for now I guess. Will edit later on to fix grammar mistakes etc.

So, what are your thoughts? Who did you (use to) look up to before you achieved what you guys have?

Edited by Hollowinside, 12 August 2016 - 09:33 AM.

Because the random name generator might pump out Lortfanden, which sounds like a pretty generic fantasy Warrior name in English, until you realize it means "Shit Fuck" in Danish.

#2 Knaittiz

Knaittiz
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Defias Brotherhood
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Affliction
  • 2v2: 574
  • 3v3: 3067
  • RBG: 1744
  • LocationFinland

Posted 11 August 2016 - 03:50 PM

Lord Isokukko, skill capped on all classes

Edited by Knaittiz, 11 August 2016 - 03:51 PM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

BUY MY MIXTAPE

#3 Hollowinside

Hollowinside
  • LocationZanarkand

Posted 11 August 2016 - 04:02 PM

Lord Isokukko, skill capped on all classes

Jokes aside, which Lock did you look up to? :P I see you have S6 Glad so you have been playing this game for quite a while. Was there anyone in particular who inspired you at the time? Who was he?
Because the random name generator might pump out Lortfanden, which sounds like a pretty generic fantasy Warrior name in English, until you realize it means "Shit Fuck" in Danish.

#4 Thaya

Thaya
  • Moderators
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Silvermoon
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Destruction 0/2/0/1/0/0/0
  • 2v2: 1338
  • LocationRussia

Posted 11 August 2016 - 04:17 PM

what got me into pvp originally was vurtnes videos back in vanilla

when the first one just came out i remember rewatching it like 3 times that day bein all like "this is so cool omg"

its not exactly arena related i guess but i started mimicking what he does (the camera control, the pace of playing, etc) so that was an inspiration in the literal sense of the word

arena wise i remember analysing hydras TBC movies a lot. i played priest at the time and mimicked his style a lot as well (positioning/movement, interrupt faking, swd's, etc)

no more inspirations after that, just some people that i acknowledged are better than me (so i watched their play and tried to figure out why) and some people i respected for their attitudes or mindsets
Default UI Scripts - Compilation & how-to

#5 Forumz

Forumz
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Argent Dawn
  • Cataclysme / Cataclysm
  • Talents: Shadow 2/1/1/1/./.
  • 2v2: 2728
  • 3v3: 2279
  • 5v5: 96
  • RBG: 768

Posted 11 August 2016 - 04:22 PM

Zelyx and Hydra are the sole reason I started playing Priest, because I thought ''hell yea I'm gonna do that sick shit as well one day''

Another & Sleeping with their blizzcon performances on DKs always got me hyped as well.
Posted Image

#6 Hollowinside

Hollowinside
  • LocationZanarkand

Posted 11 August 2016 - 04:26 PM

what got me into pvp originally was vurtnes videos back in vanilla

when the first one just came out i remember rewatching it like 3 times that day bein all like "this is so cool omg"

its not exactly arena related i guess but i started mimicking what he does (the camera control, the pace of playing, etc) so that was an inspiration in the literal sense of the word

arena wise i remember analysing hydras TBC movies a lot. i played priest at the time and mimicked his style a lot as well (positioning/movement, interrupt faking, swd's, etc)

no more inspirations after that, just some people that i acknowledged are better than me (so i watched their play and tried to figure out why) and some people i respected for their attitudes or mindsets

That sounds like fun! It doesn't matter it is not arena related. What you described is exactly what I meant - an inspiration for you to become a better player.

Hydra was an inspiration for a lot of Priests. I never was a fan of his, but I acknowledge some crazy stuff he did back in the days (like Shadow Fiend during a Poly to push the cast time then swd). Some of his WotLK videos are really fun to watch as well. The only cringe worthy video of his I saw was a Cata video called something like ''how to beat triple dps'' when he was raging like a crazy man about Rets being godmode or smth when he was playing RMP! :P

#7 Knaittiz

Knaittiz
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Defias Brotherhood
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • LocationFinland

Posted 11 August 2016 - 04:30 PM

Jokes aside, which Lock did you look up to? :P

Nobody although my name might suggest otherwise

I see you have S6 Glad so you have been playing this game for quite a while. Was there anyone in particular who inspired you at the time? Who was he?

Maydie's bg stomp videos made me start playing as a warrior at the start of TBC, then Neilyo's videos made me reroll rogue for the end of TBC. In wotlk I made a cute gnome female mage after Orangemarmalade 1v2'd in IEM grand final.

BUY MY MIXTAPE

#8 Thaya

Thaya
  • Moderators
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Silvermoon
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • LocationRussia

Posted 11 August 2016 - 04:30 PM

oh yeah

Another

i played DK in wotlk (was a total tryhard at the time) and when i watched him play on tournaments i'd just be like, "k this guy is on another lvl wtf"

he'd consistently do clutch plays throughout entire tournaments whilst also performing the rotational/mechanical part of the class pretty much perfectly

it wasn't easy at all, there was a lot of stuff you had to set up in advance and keep the resources for and shit.

#9 Forumz

Forumz
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Argent Dawn
  • Cataclysme / Cataclysm
  • Talents: Shadow 2/1/1/1/./.
  • 2v2: 2728
  • 3v3: 2279
  • RBG: 768

Posted 11 August 2016 - 04:31 PM

oh yeah

Another

i played DK in wotlk (was a total tryhard at the time) and when i watched him play on tournaments i'd just be like, "k this guy is on another lvl wtf"

he'd consistently do clutch plays throughout entire tournaments whilst also performing the rotational/mechanical part of the class pretty much perfectly

it wasn't easy at all, there was a lot of stuff you had to set up in advance and keep the resources for and shit.

And godlike awareness. That's also something he was known for iirc.
Posted Image

#10 Knaittiz

Knaittiz
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Defias Brotherhood
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • LocationFinland

Posted 11 August 2016 - 04:32 PM

Another

pun master x D

BUY MY MIXTAPE

#11 Thaya

Thaya
  • Moderators
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Silvermoon
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • LocationRussia

Posted 11 August 2016 - 04:34 PM

That sounds like fun! It doesn't matter it is not arena related. What you described is exactly what I meant - an inspiration for you to become a better player.

Hydra was an inspiration for a lot of Priests. I never was a fan of his, but I acknowledge some crazy stuff he did back in the days (like Shadow Fiend during a Poly to push the cast time then swd). Some of his WotLK videos are really fun to watch as well. The only cringe worthy video of his I saw was a Cata video called something like ''how to beat triple dps'' when he was raging like a crazy man about Rets being godmode or smth when he was playing RMP! :P

i stopped watching his movies after he started making them from stream clips

it stopped being movies and just became playlists of twitch highlights/vods, you know. kinda lost that 'cinematic' feel of it. that, and i'm just not a big fan of streams, idk why

#12 Dizzeeyo

Dizzeeyo
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Frost 0/2/0/2/2/2
  • RBG: 2274

Posted 11 August 2016 - 04:35 PM

vurtnes videos back in vanilla

this + affix videos/streams in tbc/wotlk

plus spending hours in durotar during tbc dueling a Twisting Nether mage called Hustla, back when dueling was actually fun :)

it stopped being movies and just became playlists of twitch highlights/vods, you know. kinda lost that 'cinematic' feel of it

agreed

Edited by Dizzeeyo, 11 August 2016 - 05:01 PM.

No because the difference is when I play a comp i play it close to skill cap

if anyone needs to be banned, it's you. You do nothing but sit on AJ being a passive aggressive idiot that nobody likes, sorry you stink of washing up liquid.

Feel free to call me an idiot because I'm a hunter or some stupid ass remark but I've actually written all this down on paper

I actually made an appearance at DH2014 and I met up with people from twitch who were involved with the dota 2 / cs tournies that where there, I talked about the game from my perspective as a professional player and we actually shared a lot of opinions. All I'm saying is a lot of people will be VERY surprised about the future of this game in the esport world :)

#13 Thaya

Thaya
  • Moderators
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Silvermoon
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • LocationRussia

Posted 11 August 2016 - 04:36 PM

And godlike awareness. That's also something he was known for iirc.

ye he'd constantly do gamebreaking or saving plays. like, shit that i pulled off on a lucky occasion, he'd consistently do over and over, match after match

"aha oke i'm not sure if i'll ever be as good"

pun master x D

not even intentional lol

#14 Hollowinside

Hollowinside
  • LocationZanarkand

Posted 11 August 2016 - 04:38 PM

i stopped watching his movies after he started making them from stream clips

it stopped being movies and just became playlists of twitch highlights/vods, you know. kinda lost that 'cinematic' feel of it. that, and i'm just not a big fan of streams, idk why

Agreed on that. Tbh, watching a wow movie is more fun than watching a compilation of stream clips for me as well. This is the reason I liked these 2 above mentioned videos as well. They had a very cinematic feeling, as you put it, and for the most part of it I would sit back on my chair wondering how much time and effort and practice they put into reaching that high! At leats for the Mystic vids.

Mystic Ret video: https://www.youtube....h?v=vNHzuaqysKI

Mystic War video: https://www.youtube....h?v=lumxwtyx6z8

Diablous Black Mountain: https://www.youtube....h?v=fm7zZXWqpNk

EDIT: These videos also have some nice music! :>

Edited by Hollowinside, 11 August 2016 - 04:40 PM.

#15 Thaya

Thaya
  • Moderators
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Silvermoon
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • LocationRussia

Posted 11 August 2016 - 04:41 PM

i still keep a little collection of wow videos on my old HDD lol

shit that i downloaded back when internet was too slow to stream video, we're talking stone age here

the only arena movie i still occasionally rewatch is curvnes 3v3

i didn't get inspired or analyse/learn from it or anything, i just love watching it lol. entertainment value is 10/10 to me

as for non arena, other than the aforementioned vurtne there's also albis

beckons shadowpriest stuff

and a couple of others not really worth mentioning cuz they aged so badly. like, watching saerdna movies today (you can't even read the texts due to low bitrate/res) is only fun if you have a strong nostalgia feel for it

#16 Ventux

Ventux
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Frost

Posted 11 August 2016 - 04:48 PM

for me people like dakkroth, ziqo, hydra etc that streamed in cata when i was like 2k. always enjoyed watching their streams and still do

Edited by Ventux, 11 August 2016 - 04:51 PM.

#17 Isumi

Isumi
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • EU-Aegwynn
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Elemental 0/1/0/2/0/0
  • 2v2: 2580
  • 3v3: 2959
  • 5v5: 1620
  • RBG: 2188

Posted 11 August 2016 - 04:58 PM

lord meackos

#18 Nicholaes92

Nicholaes92
  • Junkies

Posted 11 August 2016 - 05:06 PM

This warlock on my server that was godlike named xgluttony and a rogue named ehawk. That and nadagast obv
AJ's Wall of Tough Guys

i'm not your average aj user bro you're gonna have to up you game little boy.

Also tread lightly my friend, you dont know who you are talking to ;)

who the fuck do u think you are, random fucking nobody, u dont deserve any of my time/effort retard. "tell me that a blizzcon" srsly? great fucking insult m9. dont even talk to me

#19 pharrelle

pharrelle
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Restoration 1/2/0/0/././.

Posted 11 August 2016 - 05:07 PM

My 3v3 Teammates Colin (Gleenx, Zerach, Ninegag) & Chris ( Zuazney ) nobody knows them just like nobody knows me, but they're the ones I was queuing with since we were little rivalduelists and were the ones pushing to get my game on track and just the kind of people you want to queue in skype with only for them being hilarious funny..

Also Miles ( Relzah ) for being my personal Priest Rival always being a tip a head of me - in reaction again pushing me to improve.

Daanzka as being a Mage I could never win a Game against in any Bracket as any Comp.

Edited by pharrelle, 11 August 2016 - 05:09 PM.

SKrRBu7.jpg

#20 Fedx

Fedx
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Ravencrest
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Windwalker 2/1/0/2/0/1/2
  • 3v3: 2489
  • RBG: 192
  • LocationSvearike