Photo

Proper usage of Focused Rage (Maximum Burst as Arms)

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 irubuwrongtime

irubuwrongtime
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Arms 1/0/2/2/1/0/0
  • 2v2: 1511
  • 3v3: 2705

Posted 29 July 2016 - 11:17 PM

Hey guys~ It’s irub. I was reading the post about the pre-patch warrior and I’m seeing a lot of negative comments about Focused Rage so I thought I might just throw in my two cents regarding this talent.

Personally, I’m actually liking this talent because I feel that it’s adding another skill cap to our somewhat dumbed down class in Legion. We have pretty much lost all our utility abilities with the ability pruning bs every expansion, more so in WoD and now Legion. I mean I support the idea behind it which is to bring in a new player base and make pvp easily accessible to everyone. But it’s def not fun to keep losing many of our iconic abilities and this time it’s CHARGE STUN, INTERVENE, and SPELL REFLECT unless you talent it at lvl 110. (Sorry for the cap but it shows how upset I am with these changes. :P) WOW pvp is becoming less and less of player interactive game to just “lol, I did more dmg/healing than the other guy” type of game which makes me sad.

So anyways enuf with rants and on with Focused Rage/FR… the way I see it and the way I have been using it in the game to make it a worthwhile talent to choose over Mortal Combo is to use it only for the burst opportunity.

I mean obviously this is not an ability to spam on every GCD. It costs a quite a bit of rage (15 rage per stack) and each stack only adds 20% more dmg in pvp to your next mortal strike. Which means you do not want to spam FR unless you are rage capped by getting trained all the time or you have Battle Cry up coupled with Deadly Calm talent. You will soon find yourself rage starved and doing no dmg at all if you were to spam FR w/o any calculation in mind.

But if you actually manage your rage and your FR stacks to use it at the right moment to burst, it will surely add to your advantage in pvp. FR is and will be the talent that offers you the maximum burst potential as arms warrior and it is only going to get better in the later game with honor talents and artifact weapon traits such as Pain Train, Sharpen Blade, Thoradin's Might, Shattered Defenses.

Just with one Tactician proc during the 1st three GCDs of burst rotation, you can crit 2x MS with 3 full stacks of FR, all within the battle cry duration.
Make sure you do not battle cry before the Colossus Smash but after, on the same GCD as your 1st Mortal Strike following the CS. If you want the true maximum burst potential, you do not want to pop avatar + battle cry + sharpen blade (aka one shot macro) before the CS. I’ll explain why along with my burst rotation.

My burst rotation goes like this. As I get near my battle cry CD, I try to stack 3x FR and save CS if I can. Once I have all of my CDs ready to use then my next 5 GCD will be used as below. Each number represents the GCD order. You may want to throw in a stun between CS or before CS to secure the hit.

1) Avatar -> CS -> Hamstring
All in 1 GCD since Avatar and Hamstring are off regular GCD. This is needed to do 20% more damage on my CS from Avatar. You can macro them all together but I don’t recommend doing it because it is all situational and I’m sure anyone can do this with enough practice and the right key bindings. I’ll share my key bindings at the end for those of you that might find it helpful.

2) Battle Cry + Sharpen Blade + Other Burst CD (AKA one-shot macro) into MS -> Hamstring -> Focused Rage. Again all on the same GCD. From this GCD to next 3 GCD, you will crit everything.
Reason why I’m mixing in the Hamstring and Focused Rage here is to;
1. Get another FR stack after using my 1st 3x FR stacks with this mortal strike.
2. Refresh snare and a tiny bit of extra dmg from Hamstring and another cool swing motion J
3. Most importantly for the Tactician proc. Tactician can proc off the abilities used during Deadly Calm as if they were actually costing rage. So 20 rage from MS, 10 rage from Hamstring and another 15 rage from Focused Rage, 45 rage combined equates to 29.25% additional chance to proc Tactician while using these abilities at 0 rage cost. Cool stuff!?

3) CS or OP or Slam -> Hamstring -> Focused Rage.
Here comes the priority order on what to use next depending on which proc you get. Priority order is CS > OP > Slam. Instead of Slam, you can substitute Whirlwind if it is AOE situation.
You do not want to use your Tactician procced MS here because you want to save it for the end of the burst to use it with 3x FR stacks.
You just got yourself a 2nd FR stack and another 16.25% ~ 29.25% chance to proc Tactician.

4) CS or OP or Slam -> Hamstring -> Focused Rage.
This will give you a 3rd FR stack and you now have another 3x FR stacks.

5) MS or OP or Slam -> Hamstring -> Focused Rage
Priority order this time is MS > OP > Slam even if you get another CS from Tactician proc. This GCD ends the 100% crit chance from Battle Cry so you want to consume your MS with 3x FR stacks here and then build up another Focus Rage stack during the Deadly Calm at 0 rage cost. Worst case scenario where you did not get any Tactician proc or OP proc within the 1st three GCDs of Battly Cry duration, you can still crit Slam and Hamstring -> Focused Rage for another 29.25% chance to proc Tactician.

6) When you don’t have your CD up, you hit abilities in this priority order, CS > MS > OP > Slam for single target or Whirlwind for multiple AOE situation. Don’t worry about building up FR unless you have CS and excess rage. I usually save some rage during this time to quickly build up my FR stacks as I near my Battle Cry CD.

With Mortal Combo talent, best Battle Cry burst you can get is 4x MS crit after CS where you would need two Tactician procs within the 1st three GCDs of Battle Cry duration which is less likely to happen and it only converts to a 600% dmg of regular MS because of crit. (I’m not counting Avatar/Sharpen Blade/Shattered Defense and other factors in here for simple calculation.)

On the other hand with Focused Rage talent, just with one Tactician proc, you get 480% dmg of regular MS from two 3x FR stack MS + 150% dmg of CS + 150% dmg of Slam or OP, all within the Battle Cry duration. CS and OP both hit as hard as MS for now. Not to mention you get better chance of proccing Tactician with FR talent because of the rage used for FR on each global.

Talents I think most ideal for the maximum burst build.
http://www.wowdb.com...calculator#E9rF

PVP Talents
http://beta.wowdb.co...-calculator#vbF

Artifact Traits
http://beta.wowdb.co...YAADIAAAAAAAAAA

My key bindings for the burst if anyone wants it. I don’t have much problem using all these abilities simultaneously using below key bindings.

MS = 2
CS = 3
OP = 4
Slam = C
Whirlwind = R
Hamstring = V
Focused Rage = B
Battle Cry (One-shot macro) = Shift + B

It ended up being a long post again without intending but hopefully some of you guys might find this guide helpful for using FR talent.

Edited by irubuwrongtime, 29 July 2016 - 11:26 PM.

#2 irubuwrongtime

irubuwrongtime
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 30 July 2016 - 03:04 AM

I added some example VODs on my Youtube channel for those of you that might be interested. Enjoy~

#3 Coney

Coney
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Bleeding Hollow
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Arms 0/0/1/1/1/2/0
  • 2v2: 2204
  • 3v3: 1928
  • 5v5: 480
  • RBG: 1815

Posted 30 July 2016 - 07:59 AM

Informative but I like having Double MS for the almost 100% up-time.

#4 Angrypiexx

Angrypiexx
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Shadow 0/1/2/1/2/1
  • RBG: 2014

Posted 30 July 2016 - 11:40 PM

piece of advice: do ur dmg testing on a duel with a healer who keeps himself
up.
in pvp stats change, talents/abilities too. you might want to check out how it works out that way. if you want a target dummy
on beta, lemme know ;)

#5 Revolol

Revolol
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Stormrage
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Arms 1/0/2/2/1/0/1
  • 2v2: 1722
  • 3v3: 2974
  • 5v5: 1518
  • RBG: 1863

Posted 30 July 2016 - 11:48 PM

Focused Rage is only 20% per stack in PvP. Not really worth the awful rotation.
twitch.tv/revocutie

#6 irubuwrongtime

irubuwrongtime
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 31 July 2016 - 12:04 AM

Informative but I like having Double MS for the almost 100% up-time.

Right. It's just a matter of preference. Do you want the maximum burst potential with CD? Or do you want more consistent and reliable pressure?

Double MS through Mortal Combo talent can be just as good or even better depending on your play style. It's also easier to manage and to set up burst. All you need is a CS and 2 MS before you start the burst because you don't need to build up any stacks. (I'd still recommand to add hamstring into your Battle Cry burst rotation for more chance to proc Tactician.)

However, if you want the true maximum burst potential of Arms warrior in a short window which I think is better suited for arena pvp, Focused Rage is the right talent for you and I think it can give you more in depth warrior play.

I personally don't find much fun in smashing the abilities that lits up by the priority order and doing overall good damage. I focus on arena play more and getting kills when it matters the most but that's just me. :)

#7 irubuwrongtime

irubuwrongtime
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 31 July 2016 - 12:16 AM

Focused Rage is only 20% per stack in PvP. Not really worth the awful rotation.

@Revo, I'd assume you did not read the op and did not watch any of the demo vods. I know it was a long post... :P

I've already mentioned your statement in my op and that FR is not an ability to spam or to include in your normal dps rotation. I'm only pointing out that it can be a good talent choice depending on your play style, especially for Battle Cry burst and as a rage dump when you are rage capped by getting trained.

I also think it's an awful rotation but with good key bindings and enuf practice, anyone can pull this off without much trouble.

#8 irubuwrongtime

irubuwrongtime
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 31 July 2016 - 12:20 AM

piece of advice: do ur dmg testing on a duel with a healer who keeps himself
up.
in pvp stats change, talents/abilities too. you might want to check out how it works out that way. if you want a target dummy
on beta, lemme know ;)

You are absolutely correct on this and I alreadly know but it still doesn't change the fact in my statement regarding maximum burst potential as below.

With Mortal Combo talent, best Battle Cry burst you can get is 4x MS crit after CS where you would need two Tactician procs within the 1st three GCDs of Battle Cry duration which is less likely to happen and it only converts to a 600% dmg of regular MS because of crit. (I’m not counting Avatar/Sharpen Blade/Shattered Defense and other factors in here for simple calculation.)

On the other hand with Focused Rage talent, just with one Tactician proc, you get 480% dmg of regular MS from two 3x FR stack MS + 150% dmg of CS + 150% dmg of Slam or OP, all within the Battle Cry duration. CS and OP both hit as hard as MS for now. Not to mention you get better chance of proccing Tactician with FR talent because of the rage used for FR on each global.

#9 Revolol

Revolol
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Stormrage
  • Ruin

Posted 31 July 2016 - 12:27 AM

@Revo, I'd assume you did not read the op and did not watch any of the demo vods. I know it was a long post... :P

I've already mentioned your statement in my op and that FR is not an ability to spam or to include in your normal dps rotation. I'm only pointing out that it can be a good talent choice depending on your play style, especially for Battle Cry burst and as a rage dump when you are rage capped by getting trained.

I also think it's an awful rotation but with good key bindings and enuf practice, anyone can pull this off without much trouble.

But it appears you do your math assuming +150% from FR?
twitch.tv/revocutie

#10 irubuwrongtime

irubuwrongtime
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 31 July 2016 - 12:34 AM

But it appears you do your math assuming +150% from FR?

No.... Read the post and at least watch one of the demo vod... With 3x FR stacks, your MS will do 160% dmg of regular MS. If it crits, that's 240% dmg of regular MS. During Battle Cry, with 1 Tactician proc, you can do 2 MS with full 3x FR stacks.

PS. I'm signing out for now but if you have more questions regarding the rotation, I'll try to answer when I get back.

Edited by irubuwrongtime, 31 July 2016 - 01:59 AM.

#11 Revolol

Revolol
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Stormrage
  • Ruin

Posted 31 July 2016 - 12:51 AM

No.... Read the post and at least watch one of the demo vod... With 3x FR stacks, your MS will do 160% dmg of regular MS. If it cris, that's 240% dmg of regular MS. During Battle Cry, with 1 Tactician proc, you can do 2 MS with full 3x FR stacks.

PS. I'm signing out for now but if you have more questions regarding the rotation, I'll try to answer when I get back.

Idk the wording of this is rather confusing.

"you get 480% dmg of regular MS from two 3x FR stack MS + 150% dmg of CS + 150% dmg of Slam or OP, all within the Battle Cry duration"
twitch.tv/revocutie

#12 irubuwrongtime

irubuwrongtime
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 31 July 2016 - 01:57 AM

Idk the wording of this is rather confusing.

"you get 480% dmg of regular MS from two 3x FR stack MS + 150% dmg of CS + 150% dmg of Slam or OP, all within the Battle Cry duration"

Yeah... sorry about that. It was already too long of a post and I tried to make sense using too many abv.
What I meant to say was within 4 globals of Battle Cry burst, you can do 2 MS with full 3x FR stacks plus alpha if you get one Tactician proc. 1 MS will do 240% dmg of regular MS because of crit and 3x FR stacks so 2 MS add up to 480% dmg of regular MS.

#13 droolingmoron

droolingmoron
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Aegwynn
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Protection

Posted 31 July 2016 - 02:19 PM

it's a great guide tbh, for example the thing with hamstring is really good advice so thanks for that
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen.

L.W.

#14 Garrockz

Garrockz
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Emerald Dream
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Holy 0/0/0/2/1/1/2
  • 2v2: 480
  • 3v3: 1935
  • RBG: 1813

Posted 31 July 2016 - 09:33 PM

+rep, solid guide as always irub
Killin' shit since 2004.

#15 irubuwrongtime

irubuwrongtime
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 01 August 2016 - 04:58 PM

it's a great guide tbh, for example the thing with hamstring is really good advice so thanks for that

+rep, solid guide as always irub

Thanks for the positive notes.

With just the negative feedback even after explaining the whole mechanism, I thought maybe I was just wasting my time helping no one.
I was asked to do a commentary vod on this from my Youtube channel so I'll try to make one when I have the time and hopefully it's going to be short and simple.

#16 Mostvp71

Mostvp71
  • Junkies
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Bleeding Hollow
  • Ruin
  • 2v2: 1488
  • 3v3: 2542
  • 5v5: 576
  • RBG: 1596

Posted 01 August 2016 - 06:01 PM

The thing is, I can see Focused Rage being good in some situations, especially with Sharpened Blade. However, I feel like as Revo said, the rotation is just clunky and not fun at all to play with. It doesnt feel very, "warriorish", it feels more like ret paladin where you have to line everything up and do huge damage. The current warrior on live feels very similar to WoTLK warrior to me, not huge burst damage but a ton of good damage. I have to say I much prefer the Double Mortal Strike, not only can you apply it to more than one target, but its just a smoother rotation imo.

#17 irubuwrongtime

irubuwrongtime
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 01 August 2016 - 07:11 PM

The thing is, I can see Focused Rage being good in some situations, especially with Sharpened Blade. However, I feel like as Revo said, the rotation is just clunky and not fun at all to play with. It doesnt feel very, "warriorish", it feels more like ret paladin where you have to line everything up and do huge damage. The current warrior on live feels very similar to WoTLK warrior to me, not huge burst damage but a ton of good damage. I have to say I much prefer the Double Mortal Strike, not only can you apply it to more than one target, but its just a smoother rotation imo.

Yes I totally agree and that is what I said multiple times in my posts as well. It really is an awful rotation to mix it in between your dps rotation. You would def need good key bindings and a fast hand to use FR to full potential along with good rage management.

Where as for the double MS thru Mortal Combo talents, you can just spam whatever DPS ability that lits up by the priority order of CS > MS > OP > Slam or Whirlwind. Much much easier to burst as well. Just pop CD after the CS into stun.

I was just pointing out that the FR talent offers the true maximum burst potential in a short window of time for Arms warrior at the moment (unfortunate) and it will only get better when we reach lvl 110 with more honor talents and artifact weapon traits.

the way I see it and the way I have been using it in the game to make it a worthwhile talent to choose over Mortal Combo is to use it only for the burst opportunity.

I mean obviously this is not an ability to spam on every GCD. It costs a quite a bit of rage (15 rage per stack) and each stack only adds 20% more dmg in pvp to your next mortal strike. Which means you do not want to spam FR unless you are rage capped by getting trained all the time or you have Battle Cry up coupled with Deadly Calm talent. You will soon find yourself rage starved and doing no dmg at all if you were to spam FR w/o any calculation in mind.

But if you actually manage your rage and your FR stacks to use it at the right moment to burst, it will surely add to your advantage in pvp. FR is and will be the talent that offers you the maximum burst potential as arms warrior and it is only going to get better in the later game with honor talents and artifact weapon traits such as Pain Train, Sharpen Blade, Thoradin's Might, Shattered Defenses.

Right. It's just a matter of preference. Do you want the maximum burst potential with CD? Or do you want more consistent and reliable pressure?

Double MS through Mortal Combo talent can be just as good or even better depending on your play style. It's also easier to manage and to set up burst. All you need is a CS and 2 MS before you start the burst because you don't need to build up any stacks. (I'd still recommand to add hamstring into your Battle Cry burst rotation for more chance to proc Tactician.)

#18 Pinka

Pinka
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Argent Dawn
  • Cataclysme / Cataclysm
  • Talents: Arms 0/0/1/1/0/2/0
  • RBG: 2130

Posted 03 August 2016 - 03:07 AM

I expect the value of FR to go up big time with the Shattered Defense talent.

FR is just one of those talents which are toxic in pvp if unkept and too shit if they are not powerful cause it requires constant attention. Which isn't worth it if they tend to be equal or even slightly stronger compared to the other options.

Still good guide anyways.
Posted Image

#19 Xylon666Darkstar

Xylon666Darkstar
  • Members
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Zul'jin
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Protection 1/0/2/2/2/2/1
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 August 2016 - 01:54 PM

Thanks for the guide, Irub. Always classy, and good info for possible early Arms MOP 2.0(Heroic Strikex5) in Legion w/ MS. Thats how I feel it could go like. +rep

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<