• US-Emerald Dream
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Holy 0/0/0/2/1/1/2
  • 2v2: 480
  • 3v3: 1935
  • RBG: 1813

Posted 23 July 2016 - 10:50 PM

Hey Folks,

as after 11 years Blizz now finally managed to fuck up Ret entirely, i rerolled and boosted myself a gnome survival hunter. And frankly ive been really enjoying this spec.

So far i run http://www.wowhead.c...r/survival/MyHz
and its been serving me the best.

Ive been continously topping damage in battlegrounds and 2s / 3s skirms with that spec and i dont seem to find any other survival hunters around that know what theyre doing. So i figured im gonna start a thread here to gather a few of those who are a bit more dedicated to this spec.

So lets get down to it.

Opening Rotation:

Here we got two options: A) you need to gapclose to get to your target B ) you got a chance to get in melee range without Harpooning.

A) Dragonsfire Grenade followed by a Harpoon followed by an Explosive Trap while the roots last and a Lacerate to have all the dots up and rolling. If the target can disconnect anytime soon, or youll get CCed, i get off a Flanking Strike to get out as much DPS as possible. Otherwise i start building up Mongoose Bites until im out of them and then pop Snake Hunter to build at least 3 more stacks. Afterwards goes the Flanking Strike for a higher chance for an additional Mongoose Bite Stack. As soon as Mongoose Bite and Flanking Strike are on cooldown i start using Raptor Strike to dump Focus and always keep Lacerate up on the target.
Because of the limited timeframe of Mongoose Bite, i tho do not prioritise Lacerate over Mongoose Bite. The only time you wanna do that is if you wont use Snake Hunter and you got one or better two stacks of Mongoose Bite on cooldown so you dont waste your Hunters Companion Procs.

B ) is practically the same but due to its damage with the Expert Trapper Talent you wanna start off with the explosive trap which can allready crit for around 80k. If you take the Rangers Net Talent its really easy to get off against opposing melees or other classes that are rather difficult to catch. Then i follow up with Lacerate if facing ranged, because they usually want to get away asap and you can just throw the Grenade after them before reconnecting. If the target will stick around me anyway i will first get the Grenade off and then the Lacerate. From here its easy, if the target disengages, harpoon to get back at em, start building mongoose bites, snake hunter, finish the last stacks and Flanking Strinke, Dump Focus with Raptor Strike. Prioritise Lacerate before Raptor Strike ofc.

Generally i found myself being the most effective if i dont dump all my Focus with Raptor Strike so i can always use Flanking Strike or Lacerate when it comes off cooldown.

So this pretty much sums up how i go for it at the moment.

Only problem with this is, is that your dots as a survival are rather short, and as you get your Mongoose Bite Stacks up, they wear off. So i usually reapply Lacerate after the 6th to 8th Mongoose Bite, depending on wether the Mastery procs or not. Because at the time Lacerate wears off, a single Mongoose Application allready deals more damage than the dot itself.
Though if it doesnt crit its pressure feels rather mushy. So im thinking about if getting up 3 stacks before starting to burst with trap/Lacerate/Grenade + Snake Hunter cooldown might actually deal more burst. Its just 3 more GCD's that take away time of your Mongoose TImeframe. So im rather hesitant about this.

So this thread is meant for the people that are actually actively playing this class at the moment to theorycraft a bit on damage rotation. Ofc things are gonna change a lot with the Artifact Weapon + Honor Talents but these will remain our core talents.

So how do you guys go for it as of now?
Killin' shit since 2004.

• Junkies
  • Trollclass_name
  • EU-Darksorrow
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Assassination 1/1/2/1/1/1/.
  • 2v2: 2056
  • 3v3: 2655
  • RBG: 1881

Posted 24 July 2016 - 09:56 AM

the long global with 6 applyable debuffs and dots is really annoying for melee, the damage when cleaving groups is really good however.

#3 Garrockz

Garrockz
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Emerald Dream
  • Shadowburn

Posted 24 July 2016 - 10:27 AM

the long global with 6 applyable debuffs and dots is really annoying for melee, the damage when cleaving groups is really good however.

What i see coming is that as soon as the next season starts and people know how Mongoose Bite works, theyll just save up CC when you got 5 stacks or more on them. It'll be easy to counter. I like the traps/grenades/dots mechanics tho tbh.
Killin' shit since 2004.

#4 Gimotqt

Gimotqt
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Twisting Nether
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Marksmanship

Posted 24 July 2016 - 10:59 AM

ye i like grenade build too but dragonsfire dmg dot goes off on freedom effects same for caltrops - is it a bug?

playing moknathal snake hunter will be superior @110 imo, just cross cc so they wont cc u and go for a kill, u wont break ccs while playing this way, in opposite to grenade build which just blows everything around for a lot of small dmg shit

@prepatch im playing dragonsfire crows it seems cool for bgs, sometimes even steel trap :) this combo blows ppl even without using single mongoose

Edited by Gimotqt, 24 July 2016 - 11:01 AM.

#5 Flittig

Flittig
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Darksorrow
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Windwalker 2/1/2/2/0/2/2
  • 2v2: 1579

Posted 24 July 2016 - 12:09 PM

Is it viable?
What room does it fill that other classes aren't doing better?

• Junkies
  • Trollclass_name
  • EU-Darksorrow
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Assassination 1/1/2/1/1/1/.
  • 2v2: 2056
  • 3v3: 2655
  • RBG: 1881

Posted 24 July 2016 - 04:48 PM

Is it viable?
What room does it fill that other classes aren't doing better?

the trap cd with talent and artifact will be around 15-20seconds at 110 considering u can land every single trap with rangers net survival will have best cc out of all melee and pet mortal strike+viper sting should stack for 25+30% mortal strike.

#7 Gimotqt

Gimotqt
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Twisting Nether
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Marksmanship

Posted 24 July 2016 - 06:34 PM

the healing debuff is not like ms, it reduces only healing done by the target not healing received so basicly shuold work vs healers and self healing classes and its multiplicative not cumulative so it should reduce the healing by like 47.5% havent tested it yet so its only speculations

#8 Garrockz

Garrockz
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Emerald Dream
  • Shadowburn

Posted 24 July 2016 - 09:19 PM

ye i like grenade build too but dragonsfire dmg dot goes off on freedom effects same for caltrops - is it a bug?

Yeah now that you mention it, i thought it was just the new nameplates that were bugging out and the dots still ran in the background, but that could actually be a thing.

playing moknathal snake hunter will be superior @110 imo, just cross cc so they wont cc u and go for a kill, u wont break ccs while playing this way, in opposite to grenade build which just blows everything around for a lot of small dmg shit

@prepatch im playing dragonsfire crows it seems cool for bgs, sometimes even steel trap :) this combo blows ppl even without using single mongoose

I prefer Throwing Axes at the current state a lot over the other talents as it actually hits for around 18-30k (6-10k per Axe) which is really strong against fleeing enemies that still have dots on them rolling. On the other hand to uphold dots + keeping 2 gcds for net + trap every 15 seconds just doesnt leave much room to renew the Mok Nathal Buff every 8 seconds and still get the mongoose bites stacked effectively. I will most possibly stay away from it, especially cause it just takes 4 GCDs to get it stacked and only one major cc to have a good chance of losing the buff again. If they would make the buff last longer, i could imagine using it.

the healing debuff is not like ms, it reduces only healing done by the target not healing received so basicly shuold work vs healers and self healing classes and its multiplicative not cumulative so it should reduce the healing by like 47.5% havent tested it yet so its only speculations

Yeah havin MS on the target and the Viper Sting on the Heal could be really scary. But i could imagine that getting nerfed tbh.
Killin' shit since 2004.

#9 Telepatico

Telepatico
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Azralon
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Marksmanship 1/1/0/2/0/1/0
  • 2v2: 1688

Posted 01 August 2016 - 02:39 PM

Against melees, I'd prefer to use MoC, then granade. So i'll harpoon the target, explosive trap, lacerate and enjoy the 60% bonus speed and the roots of the target to get out of his attack' range and throw some axes while he's rooted and dotted. After this, usually i'm 90~100% hp, while he is 40~50%. I'm trying with Caltrops, the dot is really high and the 70% slow is so imba.

My melee' rotation is kind of Moongose Bite -> Aspect of eagle or Snake Hunter -> Flanking strike -> Moongose, moongose, moongose... I'd only use Raptor if my focus is almost full, because Wing clip gets a lot of them (30).

#10 Garrockz

Garrockz
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Emerald Dream
  • Shadowburn

Posted 02 August 2016 - 05:12 PM

Yeah never tried caltrops before. Though i only use flanking strike when MB has 3 charges if im really sure the target disconnects right after or that he is dying before i ramped up my MB. Other than that i would always prioritise MB for the sake of your overall dps. Snake Hunter and then Flanking Strike is kind of a waste.
Killin' shit since 2004.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<