• Moderators
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Silvermoon
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Destruction 0/2/0/1/0/0/0
  • 2v2: 1338
  • LocationRussia

Posted 01 August 2016 - 11:48 PM

oh and the things niss said about a proper diet are definitely true, can confirm from personal experience (my interest in the subject started with dealing with drug withdrawals tho heh)

if you don't have the chemicals required in you for your body to synthesize serotonin, dopamine and other neurotransmitters and receptors, you're fucked no matter what you do or think

that's also why i disagree with the "finding a drug is like a patch on a leaking wall" thought however. there's a lot of people that DO have very physical/chemical brain problems and there's no other solution than a physical/chemical one. the real problem is that pharmacy has become more of a business so they prescribe shit to people that don't need it. it's straight up corruption in medicine and is (or should be) criminal and has nothing to do with psychology as a science or a method - it happens a lot in other branches too, it's just easy to pull off in psychology for obvious reasons, but you can't write the whole science off for it

it's a big subject of discussion lately but the pharmacy lobby is powerful and the core issue is incredibly hard to solve. be careful with the doctors you trust, we live in a world of scum
Default UI Scripts - Compilation & how-to

#82 Buglamp

Buglamp

Posted 02 August 2016 - 12:12 AM

Haven't started doing yoga, it's on my long list of things I planned to do while I was in a more energetic mood than default.

Anyway, uh....how to say this briefly and concisely...

I'll say that completely embracing yourself isn't necessarily a good thing, or even possible - since nobody achieves anywhere close to 100% differentiation 100% of the time.

Some difficult things are better to just deny, distract yourself from, or sublimate. Managing or avoiding are sometimes the only realistic options. You can't fully embrace(at least in such a way that you allow them to manifest in your behavior) the "darker" aspects of yourself and be both functional in society and acceptable to the "lighter" aspects of yourself.

I'm making a distinction between accepting and embracing, I should note, maybe this is too pedantic but I think it's an important distinction.

Not that some people don't have aspects of themselves they'd be better off embracing, but it's more of a case-by-case situation requiring a difficult degree of self-evaluation. Pick your battles, basically.

#83 Thaya

Thaya
  • Moderators
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Silvermoon
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • LocationRussia

Posted 02 August 2016 - 12:22 AM

btw just gonna drop this link here

http://www.whfoods.com/hwep.php

the plan itself is super good and the rest of the site is a database of info about every type of food and chemical, the best one i've found by far despite the layout looking like it's from 1999. it explains everything in great detail without the language being too technical for the unprepared reader

#84 Thaya

Thaya
  • Moderators
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Silvermoon
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • LocationRussia

Posted 02 August 2016 - 12:23 AM

Haven't started doing yoga, it's on my long list of things I planned to do while I was in a more energetic mood than default.

Anyway, uh....how to say this briefly and concisely...

I'll say that completely embracing yourself isn't necessarily a good thing, or even possible - since nobody achieves anywhere close to 100% differentiation 100% of the time.

Some difficult things are better to just deny, distract yourself from, or sublimate. Managing or avoiding are sometimes the only realistic options. You can't fully embrace(at least in such a way that you allow them to manifest in your behavior) the "darker" aspects of yourself and be both functional in society and acceptable to the "lighter" aspects of yourself.

I'm making a distinction between accepting and embracing, I should note, maybe this is too pedantic but I think it's an important distinction.

Not that some people don't have aspects of themselves they'd be better off embracing, but it's more of a case-by-case situation requiring a difficult degree of self-evaluation. Pick your battles, basically.

i do agree with that, yeah

that thing where what you do and what you say (or think) matches is by far the most important. that's why i keep asking you about yoga, for example. that's the exact thing i'm trying to underline

adding the context of other people makes this a bit more complex. i'm talking about more basic things atm, but i find social interaction much easier too through this 'prism of thought'

picking your battles does mean distracting from the other battles. you do have to accept that you'll never achieve 100%, but that doesn't mean you should stop

it's definitely not easy

#85 Thaya

Thaya
  • Moderators
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Silvermoon
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • LocationRussia

Posted 02 August 2016 - 12:53 AM

what you linked describes this a lot better than i do in general tbh

#86 Breadstick

Breadstick
  • Moderators
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Arena Tournament 1
  • Coliseum 1
  • Talents: Affliction

Posted 02 August 2016 - 01:02 AM

i think i've posted about this before but for the past few years i've tried to continuously improve myself, and while i've overall been successful with this it still feels empty in the end

every achievement feels good for a small moment (mostly because it wasn't a failure and not the fact that it's a victory) but it's extremely fleeting, almost immediately i feel the need to move onto the next thing

it's exhausting. i'm just tired. like, all the time basically

any project i complete, system i build, problem i fix only leads me to needing another bigger, better achievement. i feel like i can never be truly happy where i am, i'm constantly chasing a carrot on a stick. the finish line always moves

i'm not even competing with anyone else, just myself, so i can never win. i can only lose

FeelsBadMan with the gun
s a d b o y s

#87 Thaya

Thaya
  • Moderators
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Silvermoon
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • LocationRussia

Posted 02 August 2016 - 01:16 AM

that's whats wrong with seeking sense of happiness in the exterior, the target is always gonna move (cuz you're the one setting it)

the whole approach is non working

#88 Thaya

Thaya
  • Moderators
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Silvermoon
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • LocationRussia

Posted 02 August 2016 - 01:17 AM

i mean there's never gonna be something you achieve and then just go like "k, now im happy" permanently

that'd be kinda stupid, no?

#89 Breadstick

Breadstick
  • Moderators
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Arena Tournament 1
  • Coliseum 1

Posted 02 August 2016 - 01:21 AM

i guess the approach was to improve myself enough as a person to where i'd feel like i was a good person and be pretty happy but idk

kinda just wanna start seeing a therapist
s a d b o y s

#90 Thaya

Thaya
  • Moderators
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Silvermoon
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • LocationRussia

Posted 02 August 2016 - 01:25 AM

you gotta enjoy the act, not only the result

#91 Breadstick

Breadstick
  • Moderators
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Arena Tournament 1
  • Coliseum 1

Posted 02 August 2016 - 01:28 AM

yeah but when the results continuously gives me almost nothing it feels pointless to keep trying new acts

i know what you're saying and it makes complete sense and is probably correct but i just don't FEEL it, you know? it's not working
s a d b o y s

#92 Buglamp

Buglamp

Posted 02 August 2016 - 01:29 AM

i do agree with that, yeah

that thing where what you do and what you say (or think) matches is by far the most important. that's why i keep asking you about yoga, for example. that's the exact thing i'm trying to underline

adding the context of other people makes this a bit more complex. i'm talking about more basic things atm, but i find social interaction much easier too through this 'prism of thought'

picking your battles does mean distracting from the other battles. you do have to accept that you'll never achieve 100%, but that doesn't mean you should stop

it's definitely not easy

A thought without the emotion/drive behind it just isn't compelling, no matter the merits of the thought on its own. Thoughts/rationality are tools, something more basic has to be interested in both creating and using them.

You can know very well what's practical for your health without caring enough to do it. People don't have unlimited self discipline. Another thing they don't have is the energy to be "system 2 thinking" enough to constantly deal with internal conflicts in a constructive way. That's why you pick your battles, some aren't winnable anyway and you have limited time and energy.

i think i've posted about this before but for the past few years i've tried to continuously improve myself, and while i've overall been successful with this it still feels empty in the end

every achievement feels good for a small moment (mostly because it wasn't a failure and not the fact that it's a victory) but it's extremely fleeting, almost immediately i feel the need to move onto the next thing

it's exhausting. i'm just tired. like, all the time basically

any project i complete, system i build, problem i fix only leads me to needing another bigger, better achievement. i feel like i can never be truly happy where i am, i'm constantly chasing a carrot on a stick. the finish line always moves

i'm not even competing with anyone else, just myself, so i can never win. i can only lose

FeelsBadMan with the gun

I'm going a bit armchair therapist here, but I imagine what you really want is associated with success/improvement in your mind, and you have to identify it, isolate and aim for that instead of success/improvement which clearly are having diminishing returns.

I've definitely been through that stage, in my late teens/early twenties I was weight lifting, doing yoga, playing guitar/composing, making art, reading difficult books, etc. etc.

A therapist is a good idea. I keep procrastinating about going back into therapy but I really need to. I'm getting suicidal ideations and waves of despair again, plus I've gone back to occasional self-harm. Unfortunately my family thinks I've gotten much better(better at hiding it maybe) and just need to get a life.

#93 Zaephyr

Zaephyr
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Haomarush
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Unholy

Posted 02 August 2016 - 01:29 AM

God damn guys cheer up, we're good at games, what else do we need?
"Please use an appropriate signature; thanks! www.arenajunkies.com/forum-9/announcement-3-forum-rules-2272014

#94 Thaya

Thaya
  • Moderators
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Silvermoon
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • LocationRussia

Posted 02 August 2016 - 01:34 AM

i fuckin love the games man

#95 Thaya

Thaya
  • Moderators
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Silvermoon
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • LocationRussia

and im not even good

#96 Breadstick

Breadstick
  • Moderators
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Arena Tournament 1
  • Coliseum 1

I'm going a bit armchair therapist here, but I imagine what you really want is associated with success/improvement in your mind, and you have to identify it, isolate and aim for that instead of success/improvement which clearly are having diminishing returns.

can you explain this in different words maybe? i don't really understand
s a d b o y s

#97 Buglamp

Buglamp

Posted 02 August 2016 - 01:38 AM

My bucket list is pretty demanding.
  • Move into an ideal location and home - I need atmosphere!
  • Compose a great album of music
  • Create a masterpiece painting
  • Make some decent friends
  • Burn down a building
  • Kill someone(a bad person) with an axe
  • Experiment with sensory deprivation tanks
  • Modify myself with advanced technology and/or biological science
  • Expand my lifespan indefinitely
  • Find an infinite energy source
  • Develop an internal nearly ideal mental world with my expanded mental capabilities
  • Chill in that world until heat death of the universe
I could probably go on but you get the idea. Probably more realistic to just hang out until I die, it's not like there person that could/has achieved those things would even be the same person as I am now.

#98 Buglamp

Buglamp

Posted 02 August 2016 - 01:40 AM

can you explain this in different words maybe? i don't really understand

Success and self improvement aren't an emotional reward on their own. Your emotional self desires something you've been assuming success and self improvement will bring you, but they're failing to meet that desire. You may not be consciously aware of what that emotional desire is, but a good therapist could help you find it possibly.

#99 Breadstick

Breadstick
  • Moderators
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Arena Tournament 1
  • Coliseum 1

Posted 02 August 2016 - 01:42 AM

oh word i see what you mean

makes sense
s a d b o y s

#100 Ventux

Ventux
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Frost

Posted 02 August 2016 - 02:37 AM

We all stopped playing WoW that has been our biggest step towards a better life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<