• Administrators
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Retribution 0/1/0/1/1/0/1
  • 3v3: 1952

Posted 28 May 2016 - 09:20 PM

Warcraft Movie Box Office Numbers

Outside of the US, the Warcraft Movie is performing really well. It has one of the biggest openings this year in Russia and Germany. In the US however it only had an opening projection of $25 Million, comparatively bad for its $160 Million budget.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhFMIRuHAL4

MMO-Champion Link

• Deadline is reporting that in 19 of the 20 markets it opened in, it was the #1 movie.
    • In Germany, the movie had the biggest opening of the year so far, with 45% market share.
    • In Russia, the movie had the second biggest opening, with 65% market share.
  • Variety is reporting that the Russian opening was only behind Deadpool this year, with the seventh biggest opening day of all time in Russia.
  • In China, ticket pre-sales for the release night are already the sixth highest ranking movie of all time.
  • Unfortunately the news isn't as great in the US, with an opening projection of only $25 million.

#2 RippedLife

RippedLife
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Aegwynn
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Windwalker 2/1/0/2/0/1/1
  • LocationAustria

Posted 28 May 2016 - 09:42 PM

US just isn't into fantasy as much as the rest of the world it seems.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 Glink

Glink
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kil'jaeden
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Beast Mastery 2/2/0/2/1/0/1
  • 2v2: 1652
  • 3v3: 2968
  • 5v5: 96
  • RBG: 1573
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 29 May 2016 - 12:53 AM

NA people to busy standing in line at mcdonalds to go see a movie.

-EU probably
Twitch.tv/Glinksz Rank 1 Hunter PvP
Posted Image

#4 Cocoapuffs

Cocoapuffs
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Cenarius
  • Whirlwind
  • Talents: Marksmanship 0/0/1/2/0/2/2
  • 2v2: 960
  • 3v3: 2368
  • RBG: 1147

Posted 29 May 2016 - 01:07 AM

US just isn't into fantasy as much as the rest of the world it seems.

EU further proving they're the only ones who can still take WoW seriously it seems. :duckers:

#5 varellz

varellz
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Aegwynn
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Affliction 0/2/2/2/2/0/0
  • RBG: 576
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 May 2016 - 01:48 AM

warcraft =/= WoW

#6 Cocoapuffs

Cocoapuffs
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Cenarius
  • Whirlwind

Posted 29 May 2016 - 01:56 AM

:)

#7 Ashleyirl

Ashleyirl
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Emeriss
  • Reckoning / Abrechnung
  • Talents: Subtlety 0/1/2/1/1/0/0

Posted 29 May 2016 - 11:53 AM

NA people too busy standing in line at McDonalds to go see the movie.

Edited by Ashleyirl, 29 May 2016 - 11:54 AM.

#8 Elorxo

Elorxo
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Defias Brotherhood
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Discipline 1/0/1/2/1/0/1
  • 3v3: 2695
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 29 May 2016 - 12:17 PM

NA people to busy standing in line at mcdonalds to go see a movie.

-EU probably

surprised you havent made an hour long podcast about it yet

#9 Garrockz

Garrockz
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Emerald Dream
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Holy 0/0/0/2/1/1/2
  • 2v2: 480
  • 3v3: 1935
  • RBG: 1813

Posted 29 May 2016 - 05:08 PM

I dont really get it. I thought the US Release is on 10th of June? How can we allready say how the movie performed in the US if its not even out yet?

EDIT: Now i get it, some smartshits think they can predict how much the movie is gonna roll in in NA. /golfclap
Killin' shit since 2004.

#10 Cocoapuffs

Cocoapuffs
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Cenarius
  • Whirlwind

Posted 29 May 2016 - 07:39 PM

I dont really get it. I thought the US Release is on 10th of June? How can we allready say how the movie performed in the US if its not even out yet?

EDIT: Now i get it, some smartshits think they can predict how much the movie is gonna roll in in NA. /golfclap

They're just going from the critics if anything if I where to guess. A lot of the bad reviews I've seen seem to be from people who don't have the slightest clue of the Warcraft/ WoW story and are just bashing it because they're confused.

#11 Garrockz

Garrockz
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Emerald Dream
  • Shadowburn

Posted 30 May 2016 - 03:11 AM

They're just going from the critics if anything if I where to guess. A lot of the bad reviews I've seen seem to be from people who don't have the slightest clue of the Warcraft/ WoW story and are just bashing it because they're confused.

I had the very same impression as i read the press critics before the international release. They were complaining about that its not as realistic as in Lord of the Rings and its "too fantastic" and not as gory as Game of Thrones. Oh really? A lonestanding Fantasy Universe is not an exact copy of 2 existing completely different fantasy universes? How upsetting!

I'll go by what my friends in germany told me. And they were all totally stoked.
Killin' shit since 2004.

#12 Imahacker

Imahacker
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Medivh
  • Embuscade / Hinterhalt
  • Talents: Subtlety 0/0/2/2/1/0/0
  • 2v2: 96
  • LocationLiechtenstein

Posted 30 May 2016 - 03:13 AM

The movie isn't even out yet in the US so these numbers are mongo!

#13 Garrockz

Garrockz
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Emerald Dream
  • Shadowburn

Posted 30 May 2016 - 05:21 AM

In the US however it only had an opening of $25 Million

Theres been no opening yet Van, its only a "projection" of the possible opening. Might wanna edit that.
Killin' shit since 2004.

#14 Xinowl

Xinowl
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Frostmane
  • Misery
  • Talents: Arms 0/0/1/0/1/2/0
  • 2v2: 2088
  • 3v3: 2404
  • RBG: 1746

Posted 30 May 2016 - 02:15 PM

Saw the movie on opening in Denmark on Thursday, and i can confirm this. Critics in Denmark also gave it either 5/6 stars. Or 1 Star.
If the critic do not like a fantasy movie with a great story, then obviously they won't like it.
Though lets face it... The critics never likes the same movies as the crowd (Inception and Interstellar had horrible reviews... And they are truly amazing! And yes, i'm a Nolan fan :) )

Either way...
I had a blast. Green scenery. Great costumes. Story was 95% correct compared to Warcraft 1. They had to change minor bits to make the movie watchable, by people new to the universe.

Acting was pretty good. Though obviously there is no "Leo" or other highly rated actors there. But i don't think the movie suffered from that, because you follow a lot of simultaneous events.

And the fact that they made the Orcs come this much to "life" was pretty amazing. You can see that they are animated, but they are much more "alive" than the Goblins in "The Hobbit: AN unexpected journey" for example. (Not that you can compare that much... Those were garbage)

I gave it 9/10 on IMDB. Though it was a tough one if i should give it 8 or 9. Would've given it 8,5 if i could.
Best fantasy movie since LOTR.

Edited by Xinowl, 30 May 2016 - 02:17 PM.

#15 Jim_Jim

Jim_Jim
  • Junkies
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • EU-Archimonde
  • Cataclysme / Cataclysm
  • Talents: Retribution 1/0/0/2/0/0
  • 2v2: 2608
  • 3v3: 2915
  • 5v5: 2350
  • RBG: 2349

Posted 30 May 2016 - 03:54 PM

For me the only big negative point is that the movie was too short, so sometimes, it feels rushed, but perhaps only for people who doesn't know anything about warcraft lore. (And yes, the lore has been modified, but not too much - The biggest change is for me the flying Dalaran, but perhaps it's for a more impressive destruction in the future? Arthas please.)

And, and, and, the "jokes" things during important / battle part, i don't like this (Like Legolas doing skateboard, no...). Even if it's really "Blizzard-esque" to have some jokes in their games, i don't really like them when it comes to important parts.

I hate 3D movies, IMAX 3D was the only choice for me to see it, so it's annoying to pay 5 more euros for something barely noticeable beside the candy advertisement before the movie. (And having to put 3D glasses on top of my usual glasses is painful).

About CGI, it was really impressive, the spells were awesome, the orc were awesome too (Durotan's eyes :o), it's not shocking at all (Perhaps the High Elves, they were weird, compared to... Antonidas? Glowing eyes is not for everybody), even when paired with real actors. All the environnement are clearly recognizable (For a player), even the music.

Definitely a really awesome movie, maybe not the "best ever" (For the scenario, it's not a Witcher / Baldur's gate type of huge story), but for a warcraft fan, it's clearly worth the price, and i will probably watch it again (To catch more details !).
The easter eggs are awesome too. (The... gameplay reference one made me laugh - like all the theater -)

Gul'dan is a fucking beast. <3

EDIT : I read a "review" comparing this movie to Immigration (White people being invaded by... colored people), and be a hidden pro-Trump movie.
What. The. Fuck.

Edited by Jim_Jim, 30 May 2016 - 04:04 PM.

Posted Image

#16 RippedLife

RippedLife
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Aegwynn
  • Blutdurst
  • LocationAustria

Posted 30 May 2016 - 04:04 PM

For me the only big negative point is that the movie was too short, so sometimes, it feels rushed, but perhaps only for people who doesn't know anything about warcraft lore. (And yes, the lore has been modified, but not too much - The biggest change is for me the flying Dalaran, but perhaps it's for a more impressive destruction in the future? Arthas please.)

And, and, and, the "jokes" things during important / battle part, i don't like this (Like Legolas doing skateboard, no...). Even if it's really "Blizzard-esque" to have some jokes in their games, i don't really like them when it comes to important parts.

I hate 3D movies, IMAX 3D was the only choice for me to see it, so it's annoying to pay 5 more euros for something barely noticeable beside the candy advertisement before the movie. (And having to put 3D glasses on top of my usual glasses is painful).

About CGI, it was really impressive, the spells were awesome, the orc were awesome too (Durotan's eyes :o), it's not shocking at all (Perhaps the High Elves, they were weird, compared to... Antonidas? Glowing eyes is not for everybody), even when paired with real actors. All the environnement are clearly recognizable (For a player), even the music.

Definitely a really awesome movie, maybe not the "best ever" (For the scenario, it's not a Witcher / Baldur's gate type of huge story), but for a warcraft fan, it's clearly worth the price, and i will probably watch it again (To catch more details !).
The easter eggs are awesome too.

EDIT : I read a "review" comparing this movie to Immigration (White people being invaded by... colored people), and be a hidden pro-Trump movie.
What. The. Fuck.

flying dalaran weirded me out too, they did that only for "coolness" effect, even though there was only like ~14 seconds of flying dalaran on the screen so not worth it at all imo..

Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 Xinowl

Xinowl
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Frostmane
  • Misery
  • Talents: Arms 0/0/1/0/1/2/0
  • 2v2: 2088
  • 3v3: 2404
  • RBG: 1746

Posted 30 May 2016 - 06:35 PM

The easter eggs are awesome too. (The... gameplay reference one made me laugh - like all the theater -)

What. The. Fuck.

Yeah i think it was SKY or BBC who compared it. Utterly retarded.
Unfortunately we don't have IMAX cinemas where i live in DK, so i can only dream of that.

Though you just made me realize just how much i would like a Baldurs Gate movie.. WtF :o

#18 CreepStatus

CreepStatus
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Restoration 1/2/2/1/2/0
  • LocationGAINZville, the Gym

Posted 31 May 2016 - 09:38 PM

I'd love to know what the "projections" were in Germany and Russia

#19 Eltekk

Eltekk
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-The Maelstrom
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Frost 1/2/0/2/././.

Posted 01 June 2016 - 03:32 PM

Watched it yesterday, awesome movie, 7/10 from me.

I hope they make one about Arthas.

#20 RippedLife

RippedLife
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Aegwynn
  • Blutdurst
  • LocationAustria

Posted 02 June 2016 - 08:05 PM

Watched it yesterday, awesome movie, 7/10 from me.

I hope they make one about Arthas.

apparently its supposed to be a trilogy lol

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<