Arena Junkies was shut down on July 1st, 2018. You're viewing an archive of this page from 2018-06-25 at 18:00. Thank you all for your support! Please get in touch via the Curse help desk if you need any support using this archive.

Photo

Incoming legacy servers!

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#101 Railander

Railander
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Azralon
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Destruction 1/2/0/1/0/0/0
  • RBG: 384

Posted 11 May 2016 - 07:14 PM

not sure if this has been brought up, but i dont think there's any doubt that at least a part of what they said about the difficulties in making a legacy server that isnt complete bullshit.

the "right" way to do it would be to keep all the old aspects of the game, but implement all the technical and behind-the-scenes advantages and polishes we have today.

for one, we wouldnt have the old crappy friends list. no, we'd need to have the old game fully integrated with the new battle.net system we have today. im not a programmer but my conservative guess is that wouldnt be exactly quick do get done, which takes development time away from other things.

then there's the more performance stuff like the new file format blizzard has developed in the past couple of years so it can take full advantage of the new battle.net dynamic update and stuff like that. i suspect it'd be as easy to convert to the new format as pressing a single button, but perhaps there are compatibility issues that first require addressing given how old the original game is compared to when they implemented the new format.

then there's other, possibly controversial stuff, like server tick rate. pre-wod the internal server tick rate was once every 0.4 sec and now its once every 0.02 sec. im sure you all remember the "great" things that provided such as interrupts locking schools after the spell finished casting. i personally would prefer they implemented that into the legacy servers, but i do acknowledge it might make the game feel different from what it was back then, but really that was nothing more than an engineering constraint and there's no reason they shouldnt implement the fix. i also remember they saying during WoD development that making that wasnt necessarily easy to do and its possible it would sort of take them to "reinvent the wheel" to get it done for legacy servers.

those are just some things off the top of my head. i have no doubt a lot of bullshit came out of that announcement of theirs, but let's not pretend there arent at least some reasonable levels of difficulty involved in getting it done right.

Posted Image

#102 ROKMODE

ROKMODE
  • Junkies
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Shattered Hand
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Balance

Posted 12 May 2016 - 12:02 AM

too hard to pull off
just like spectator mode
Expect bias in posts because
Wotlk is the best thing since sliced bread

#103 Dubsidia

Dubsidia
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 12 May 2016 - 12:21 AM

"A meeting" - ha , Remember when they had a Meeting about pvp with various high regarded pvpers? All that came from that was ingame characters for most the attendees. Maybe they will add a grave ingame for Nostalrius Kappa.

#104 Siuox

Siuox
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Aegwynn
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Balance 2/1/2/0/1/2/2
  • 2v2: 1756
  • 3v3: 2411
  • RBG: 960

Posted 12 May 2016 - 05:13 PM

isn't the interrupt system worse than before?

#105 Ventux

Ventux
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Frost

Posted 12 May 2016 - 05:30 PM

"A meeting" - ha , Remember when they had a Meeting about pvp with various high regarded pvpers? All that came from that was ingame characters for most the attendees. Maybe they will add a grave ingame for Nostalrius Kappa.

Ye with the ''Traitor'' sign above it like in GoT

#106 swipsman

swipsman
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Subtlety 1/1/2/1/0/1/2

Posted 12 May 2016 - 06:46 PM

All this hype with the legacy servers will, unfortunately, end with Blizzard saying yet again "fuck you, fans" in a polite way, as they've done so many times before... Not even sure if anyone expects a different outcome, I would like for legacy servers to happen but I just don't see it happening, even if they decided to go forward with "legacy" they would come up with some godawful idea like: "hey, let's do pristine servers!" - LOL

#YouthinkyoudobutYoudont

Edited by swipsman, 12 May 2016 - 06:46 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users