Arena Junkies was shut down on July 1st, 2018. You're viewing an archive of this page from 2018-06-25 at 18:00. Thank you all for your support! Please get in touch via the Curse help desk if you need any support using this archive.

Photo

Incoming legacy servers!

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#1 Rivermate

Rivermate
  • Junkies
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Restoration
  • RBG: 2230

Posted 26 April 2016 - 07:13 PM

Just want to share with you guys that thers a chance that wow legacy servers might come.

If you missed it, heres the news report:
http://www.pcgamer.c...-to-deliver-it/

here's the video sent to CEO/Co Founder Micheal Morhaime: (this is new, no reply from blizz yet)
https://www.youtube....h?v=60CXk503QsQ
_________________________________________________________________________________________

Official Reply to Vanilla Servers and Nostalrius (not reply of the video)

We wanted to let you know that we’ve been closely following the Nostalrius discussion and we appreciate your constructive thoughts and suggestions.

Our silence on this subject definitely doesn’t reflect our level of engagement and passion around this topic. We hear you. Many of us across Blizzard and the WoW Dev team have been passionate players ever since classic WoW. In fact, I personally work at Blizzard because of my love for classic WoW.

We have been discussing classic servers for years - it’s a topic every BlizzCon - and especially over the past few weeks. From active internal team discussions to after-hours meetings with leadership, this subject has been highly debated. Some of our current thoughts:

Why not just let Nostalrius continue the way it was? The honest answer is, failure to protect against intellectual property infringement would damage Blizzard’s rights. This applies to anything that uses WoW’s IP, including unofficial servers. And while we’ve looked into the possibility – there is not a clear legal path to protect Blizzard’s IP and grant an operating license to a pirate server.

We explored options for developing classic servers and none could be executed without great difficulty. If we could push a button and all of this would be created, we would. However, there are tremendous operational challenges to integrating classic servers, not to mention the ongoing support of multiple live versions for every aspect of WoW.

So what can we do to capture that nostalgia of when WoW first launched? Over the years we have talked about a “pristine realm”. In essence that would turn off all leveling acceleration including character transfers, heirloom gear, character boosts, Recruit-A-Friend bonuses, WoW Token, and access to cross realm zones, as well as group finder. We aren’t sure whether this version of a clean slate is something that would appeal to the community and it’s still an open topic of discussion.

One other note - we’ve recently been in contact with some of the folks who operated Nostalrius. They obviously care deeply about the game, and we look forward to more conversations with them in the coming weeks.

You, the Blizzard community, are the most dedicated, passionate players out there. We thank you for your constructive thoughts and suggestions. We are listening.

J. Allen Brack

Source: http://blue.mmo-cham...-wow-community/

Edited by Rivermate, 27 April 2016 - 09:54 AM.

#2 jaimee

jaimee
  • Premium Junkies
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • EU-Bladefist
  • Blackout
  • Talents: Enhancement 2/1/1/1/1/2/2
  • 2v2: 767
  • 3v3: 2564
  • RBG: 192

Posted 26 April 2016 - 07:15 PM

never going to happen ever

if you play a disc priest you are not a real human being 

#3 Hollowinside

Hollowinside
  • LocationZanarkand

Posted 26 April 2016 - 07:22 PM

never going to happen ever

They did talk about this ''pristine server'' thing in a blue post but eh. What can be said for sure? It's Blizz we are talking about! xD

However, seeing the whole thing that happened with Nostralius and the fanbase they pissed along with the Vanilla boys that want to come back, making a Vanilla server doesn't sound impossible at all.
Because the random name generator might pump out Lortfanden, which sounds like a pretty generic fantasy Warrior name in English, until you realize it means "Shit Fuck" in Danish.

#4 HeyimJack

HeyimJack
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Darksorrow
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Combat 1/2/2/1/1/1/1
  • 2v2: 2220
  • 3v3: 2862
  • RBG: 2164
  • LocationUK

Posted 26 April 2016 - 07:29 PM

Looks very likely to happen at this point tbh not sure how Blizz would decline this with so much pressure on it now people asking for refunds on Legion etc

88c809889bca995b4fb7f643cda2eb4f.png

#5 Sayann

Sayann
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • US-Rivendare
  • Emberstorm
  • Talents: Elemental 0/1/0/2/0/0/.
  • 2v2: 1539

Posted 26 April 2016 - 07:44 PM

The game is dying and they know it. I never played Runescape but I've heard that they legacy server they made had the game come somewhat back to life.

This is a great idea and I hope that they hire all, if not most of the Nost devs. I doubt they would even want a paycheck anywhere close to the retail devs salary. I have a strong feeling that Legion is going to be the last expansion, and they will announce Pristine servers halfway through Legion.

They should progress through Vanilla-TBC-WOTLK, and afterwards either reset it or create a completely new expansion never played. NOT cata mop wod or legion...

#6 Rivermate

Rivermate
  • Junkies
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Restoration
  • RBG: 2230

Posted 26 April 2016 - 07:56 PM

They should progress through Vanilla-TBC-WOTLK, and afterwards either reset it or create a completely new expansion never played. NOT cata mop wod or legion...

that would be perfect!

#7 Siuox

Siuox
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Aegwynn
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Balance 2/1/2/0/1/2/2
  • 2v2: 1756
  • 3v3: 2411
  • RBG: 960

Posted 26 April 2016 - 08:19 PM

http://www.arenajunk...40#entry4574199 wont happen

#8 Twaenkz

Twaenkz
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Darksorrow
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Unholy 1/0/2/0/0/2/2
  • 2v2: 2103
  • 3v3: 1860
  • RBG: 1465
  • LocationSweden

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:44 PM

Better to not get high hopes, cause if it doesnt happen at all from what it sounds like some of the people posting here will just jump off a building with the ammount of stuff they post.

#9 Dizzeeyo

Dizzeeyo
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Frost 0/2/0/2/2/2
  • RBG: 2274

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:49 PM

unfortunately the title of this thread gives completely the wrong impression of what Blizzard actually said in their reply

Over the years we have talked about a “pristine realm”. In essence that would turn off all leveling acceleration including character transfers, heirloom gear, character boosts, Recruit-A-Friend bonuses, WoW Token, and access to cross realm zones, as well as group finder. We aren’t sure whether this version of a clean slate is something that would appeal to the community and it’s still an open topic of discussion.

they are not talking about doing legacy servers and recreating a version of wow that is actually fun to play
they are talking about live wow, so wod and legion, but modified so that heirlooms, lfg, paid character boosts, wow token and cross realm do not exist

so basically live shitty wow with live shitty class design and live shitty garrisons/order halls, but you have to pay real money to play on it and you can't buy character boosts or level with heirlooms or group with people on other servers

thats...live wow but even shittier :D :D :D

Edited by Dizzeeyo, 26 April 2016 - 09:50 PM.

No because the difference is when I play a comp i play it close to skill cap

if anyone needs to be banned, it's you. You do nothing but sit on AJ being a passive aggressive idiot that nobody likes, sorry you stink of washing up liquid.

Feel free to call me an idiot because I'm a hunter or some stupid ass remark but I've actually written all this down on paper

I actually made an appearance at DH2014 and I met up with people from twitch who were involved with the dota 2 / cs tournies that where there, I talked about the game from my perspective as a professional player and we actually shared a lot of opinions. All I'm saying is a lot of people will be VERY surprised about the future of this game in the esport world :)

#10 Seu

Seu
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Discipline

Posted 26 April 2016 - 10:15 PM

thats...live wow but even shittier :D :D :D

the only thing that makes the dogshit current version of wow playable is that you can just boost a character to 100 and get full gear to play arenas with friends on it very quickly.

classes (and content) don't have nearly enough depth to provide hundreds (even thousands) of hours of engaging gameplay anymore. you cant call a wod/legion server "pristine" because its already bastardized by years of shitty development :P

#11 Dizzeeyo

Dizzeeyo
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Frost 0/2/0/2/2/2
  • RBG: 2274

Posted 26 April 2016 - 10:24 PM

you cant call a wod/legion server "pristine" because its already bastardized by years of shitty development :P

we can't, but they can apparently ;)

No because the difference is when I play a comp i play it close to skill cap

if anyone needs to be banned, it's you. You do nothing but sit on AJ being a passive aggressive idiot that nobody likes, sorry you stink of washing up liquid.

Feel free to call me an idiot because I'm a hunter or some stupid ass remark but I've actually written all this down on paper

I actually made an appearance at DH2014 and I met up with people from twitch who were involved with the dota 2 / cs tournies that where there, I talked about the game from my perspective as a professional player and we actually shared a lot of opinions. All I'm saying is a lot of people will be VERY surprised about the future of this game in the esport world :)

#12 Woundman

Woundman
  • Moderators
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • US-Korgath
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Outlaw 0/2/0/2/2/1/0

Posted 26 April 2016 - 10:49 PM

Title is pretty misleading tbh. There is such a small chance blizzard is going to bring legacy servers back. Why? Undermines all their current hard work. They want everyone playing the same expansion. Splitting the community up playing different expansions isn't a good thing, especially with how dead WoW is right now.

People have been asking for legacy servers forever... Why is it such a big deal now? WoW is in a horrible state, that's why... I'm not gonna cross my fingers and hope for legacy servers, because honestly I don't care about them. I love WoW for it's progression and community. I'd rather Blizzard focus on improving the current WoW, especially if it's so difficult for Blizzard to run legacy servers like they said in the OP.

#13 Gimotqt

Gimotqt
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Twisting Nether
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Marksmanship

Posted 26 April 2016 - 11:03 PM

server with no lvl boosts(heirlooms etc) wont fix anything if its still wod/legion, finally ull get ur max lvl and game will be same shit as before

in legion we trust - legion wiping azeroth&wow and new game announced - perfect vision @blizzcon 2016

Edited by Gimotqt, 26 April 2016 - 11:06 PM.

#14 Boetard

Boetard
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • EU-Aegwynn
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Holy 2/0/2/1/1/0/2
  • 2v2: 2241
  • 3v3: 2380
  • RBG: 1542
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 April 2016 - 11:12 PM

I would really love to play Vanilla or TBC again, because they worked hard and passionate for their game and the community back then,which is why i support legacy servers' movement right now. I am fairly sure they will not get servers or anything actually going, but it should at least show Blizz something.
People aren't satisfied for a long time now, and i do not think it is because WoW is too old in particular. It may be one part of the entire disaster, but if there was complex, well and passionately designed content coming out, people would definitely give WoW another try. Especially the old veteran players that stopped playing once the expansions kept getting less fantastic and more and more one sided. Nowadays you can barely live in your own little WoW world anymore, considering things also became a lot less complex and too straight-forward.
That's just my personal opinion though.

#15 Glink

Glink
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kil'jaeden
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Beast Mastery 2/2/0/2/1/0/1
  • 2v2: 1652
  • 3v3: 2968
  • 5v5: 96
  • RBG: 1573
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 26 April 2016 - 11:57 PM

Title is pretty misleading tbh. There is such a small chance blizzard is going to bring legacy servers back. Why? Undermines all their current hard work. They want everyone playing the same expansion. Splitting the community up playing different expansions isn't a good thing, especially with how dead WoW is right now.

People have been asking for legacy servers forever... Why is it such a big deal now? WoW is in a horrible state, that's why... I'm not gonna cross my fingers and hope for legacy servers, because honestly I don't care about them. I love WoW for it's progression and community. I'd rather Blizzard focus on improving the current WoW, especially if it's so difficult for Blizzard to run legacy servers like they said in the OP.

On splitting the community...this wouldn't happen, at least not to a detrimental affect.

WoW is already down to at most > 5 million subs, most of which dislike the state of the game and where it is going. Id say the community is already dead and gone. The argument that there would be some "splitting" is ridiculous for a few reasons.

1. Those who would exclusively play legacy servers are likely not playing now, if they are there is no reason to believe they wouldnt play new content in addition to legacy.

2. Hundreds of thousands to millions of new players would resub. This would result in a few things. One, a large percentage of these returning players would likely play the current content, and why not? If they are playing WoW anyways this would assuredly bring new players to live. To further ensure and motivate this, simply make legacy servers accessible only to players who have the most current expansion. Two, this would also mean that the community would be revitalized, think about how popular WoW would be on twitch if players were allowed to stream it. That resurgence of popularity would in turn bring even more players and relevancy to WoW.

Case and point Runescape 2007 server, which did almost exactly to that game which I stated above.

The idea of "Id rather Blizzard focus on making new content better" is a nice one, but at this point I think that is a lost cause. Expansion after expansion the playerbase has grown more and more dissappointed with Blizzard and the more out of touch they have become. If the game is going to continue being in a poor state, AT LEAST give us legitimate access to the expansions players DID LIKE.

I explained this all more eloquintly in my detailed and concise video if anyone is interested:

Twitch.tv/Glinksz Rank 1 Hunter PvP
Posted Image

#16 Lolflay

Lolflay
  • Premium Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Kor'gall
  • Cruelty / Crueldad

Posted 27 April 2016 - 01:06 AM

Fuck I actually don't want legacy servers to happen just so all these whiners keep whining.

You people are being really annoying, just don't play the fucking game if you don't like live ( and honestly, live 3v3 isn't even half bad, it's fun if you're playing with the right people ). You don't _NEED_ WoW in your life. I used to live this game 8-10 years ago, nowadays even if I have an active sub, I play maybe 2 hours per week.

I'm the biggest advocate of them fixing this game up, hell I wrote shitton of wall of texts on the state of WoW, and nobody would be happier than me if I had my favorite hobby/pasttime back in a state where it's able to sink as much of my time away as I can put into it, but if they're not obliging and you don't like that they're not doing it, then move the fuck on.

We've all already realized one way or another that Blizzard simply stopped giving a shit about its customers and are pushing their fucking policies and game development strategies down everyone's throats. They decided to fucking make a DOTA/League clone and a TF2 clone instead of fixing all 3 games that belong to their biggest franchises ( WoW/D3/SC2 ). They've been middle fingering all of their communities for ages now, it's honestly nothing new.

Again, you don't need WoW in your life. And they will NEVER make true legacy realms, because iirc, they stated some time ago that they don't have the source files anymore for vanilla, and they for sure wouldn't let outside help like Nostalrius team handle it.

So stop chasing a dream that will never come true.

[13:49:14] Creed: u have 20min to find a healer, going for a jog
[13:49:53] Creed: nothing like running through the bush being chased by wild animals to get a proper workout
[13:50:01] Creed: you europeans and ur silly gyms

#17 Lolflay

Lolflay
  • Premium Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Kor'gall
  • Cruelty / Crueldad

Posted 27 April 2016 - 01:15 AM

The problem with Blizzard is that they've branched out. And one of their games is an immense success right now ( Hearthstone ), one is bound to be a success ( that shitty Overwatch TF2 clone, but I guess I'll eat my words if the game ends up being fun ), one is still extremely profitable ( WoW ), and one is profitable everytime they release a new expansion ( Diablo 3 ).

They're not only fine money-wise, they're mighty fine. So they don't need to listen to anyone. WoW makes TONS of money with expansions every 1-2 years, subscription fees, extra services, and nowadays tokens+lvl boosts. WoW is still a major cash goose. And WoW is no longer their primary focus like it used to be 5-6 years ago, so whatever really.

Why would they fix what's working from a financial perspective? Them focusing solely on making WoW great again would be akin to Riot games releasing 5 other MORE successful titles than League and then suddenly deciding to go back to League of Legends and fix it when it's in a state of dying for a long while. Fuck, they had SC2, _THE_ e-sport game, the game that started it ALL, and they fucked it up and let it go to hell. Mighty hilarious for a company that apparently wants a slice of the esport cake.

They don't give TWO FUCKS over petitions or the outcry of the community. They're bound to be nice to you the same way POTUS is bound to be nice to the American people, but outside of being nice in conversations and doing the bare minimum to keep the masses at least a bit happy, they will NEVER EVER NEVER EVER go out of their way to truly please the community.

Ergo, those legacy realms won't happen. Money talks, and money said that WoW is fine.

[13:49:14] Creed: u have 20min to find a healer, going for a jog
[13:49:53] Creed: nothing like running through the bush being chased by wild animals to get a proper workout
[13:50:01] Creed: you europeans and ur silly gyms

#18 Synkz

Synkz
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Illidan
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Shadow 1/1/0/1/0/2/0

Posted 27 April 2016 - 01:24 AM

I'm the biggest advocate of them fixing this game up, hell I wrote shitton of wall of texts on the state of WoW, and nobody would be happier than me if I had my favorite hobby/pasttime back in a state where it's able to sink as much of my time away as I can put into it, but if they're not obliging and you don't like that they're not doing it, then move the fuck on.

You realize that the reason people are "whining" about legacy servers now is because the demand for them is higher than ever before and people hope that Blizzard might be willing to change their previous stance because of that high demand, right?

People have moved on from WoW, obviously, but we want to play our favorite game again. Why does that offend you so much? I get that you find it annoying, but maybe you should just "move the fuck on" and not open threads with the word legacy in the title.

Edited by Synkz, 27 April 2016 - 01:28 AM.

#19 flubbah

flubbah
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Archimonde
  • Cataclysme / Cataclysm
  • Talents:
  • RBG: 384

Posted 27 April 2016 - 01:30 AM

Fuck I actually don't want legacy servers to happen just so all these whiners keep whining.

You people are being really annoying, just don't play the fucking game if you don't like live ( and honestly, live 3v3 isn't even half bad, it's fun if you're playing with the right people ). You don't _NEED_ WoW in your life. I used to live this game 8-10 years ago, nowadays even if I have an active sub, I play maybe 2 hours per week.

We've all already realized one way or another that Blizzard simply stopped giving a shit about its customers and are pushing their fucking policies and game development strategies down everyone's throats. They decided to fucking make a DOTA/League clone and a TF2 clone instead of fixing all 3 games that belong to their biggest franchises ( WoW/D3/SC2 ). They've been middle fingering all of their communities for ages now, it's honestly nothing new.

Again, you don't need WoW in your life. And they will NEVER make true legacy realms, because iirc, they stated some time ago that they don't have the source files anymore for vanilla, and they for sure wouldn't let outside help like Nostalrius team handle it.

So stop chasing a dream that will never come true.

Every comment you make on this website triggers the shit out of me. Pretty impressive.

Edited by flubbah, 27 April 2016 - 01:31 AM.

#20 Volb

Volb
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Holy 0/0/0/2/1/1/1
  • 2v2: 1047
  • 3v3: 2205
  • RBG: 1134
  • LocationTDOT, Canadialand

Posted 27 April 2016 - 02:04 AM

The game is dying and they know it. I never played Runescape but I've heard that they legacy server they made had the game come somewhat back to life.

Well since you said you never played it I understand why you think their "legacy server" was a good idea. Their current main game is Runescape 3, the "legacy sever" is Runescape 2. The games are literally completely different at it's core, mechanically and all. And the game didn't come back to life really, it killed their main game because obviously more people prefer the older style of game. WoW hasn't changed since vanilla in terms of you still have targetting, you have to hit your keyboard to use abilities, etc whereas Runescape changed that. If WoW changed like Runescape did, it would be understandable to relate the two, however the differences between the evolution of both games are completely different and don't warrant relation.

I hope this doesn't come off as a rude or aggressive post, I apologize if it does.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users