• Bloodlust
  • Talents: Mistweaver 0/1/2/2/0/2/2
  • 2v2: 1809
  • 3v3: 2320
  • RBG: 1773

Posted 19 April 2016 - 05:52 PM

https://vanilla.re/f...c.php?f=3&t=307

http://forum.nostalr...hp?f=30&t=43101

So it looks like a couple days ago Vanilla.RE launched a Beta Server for Vanilla 1.12 WoW, with the intent that when Nostalrius.org releases the Server Core & Database at the end of April, they will migrate everyone's Nostalrius characters to their servers.

What does everyone think? It looks like there is some animosity between Nostalrius.org and Vanilla.RE, but the project looks pretty well organized and legit to me.

Edited by Frosteye, 19 April 2016 - 05:54 PM.

#2 Hollowinside

Hollowinside
  • LocationZanarkand

Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:55 PM

Though I don't play on any Vanilla servers myself, I hope this is going to work for all the people who put time and effort into their accounts there.

Best of luck!
Because the random name generator might pump out Lortfanden, which sounds like a pretty generic fantasy Warrior name in English, until you realize it means "Shit Fuck" in Danish.

#3 Synkz

Synkz
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Illidan
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Shadow 1/1/0/1/0/2/0

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:35 PM

it's got potential but i'm gonna wait till Nostalrius gives them the character data

#4 Frosteye

Frosteye
  • Junkies
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Ner'zhul
  • Bloodlust

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:45 PM

Well according to Nostalrius they are not endorsing any one particular server, so the Server Core & Database will be released to the public.

Hopefully Nostalrius follows through.

However, the Database with character data will only be released with data from users' who "Opt In" to have their information released. Nostalrius.org is going to make an announcement in the near future when they have the interface for this setup.

If you want to play your Nostalrius Characters on other servers (including vanilla.re), you will need to Opt In.

Edited by Frosteye, 19 April 2016 - 08:46 PM.

#5 Synkz

Synkz
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Illidan
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Shadow 1/1/0/1/0/2/0

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:52 PM

i'll be opting in for sure, no doubt about that

#6 Lirox

Lirox
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Unholy 0/1/2/2/0/2

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:57 PM

this petition thing seems to be rly blowing up, even csgo pros are tweeting about it
best

#7 Frosteye

Frosteye
  • Junkies
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Ner'zhul
  • Bloodlust

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:02 PM

this petition thing seems to be rly blowing up, even csgo pros are tweeting about it

Yeah, I think most of us would definitely prefer Blizzard providing Legacy Servers, because then we wouldn't have to worry about all of our hard work being deleted when Blizzard decides to be greedy SOBs.

#8 Jamminlove

Jamminlove
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Ravencrest
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Shadow 1/1/0/1/0/0/0
  • 2v2: 1592
  • 3v3: 2582
  • 5v5: 576
  • RBG: 1729

Posted 20 April 2016 - 10:15 AM

Forget about this. This is one of those classy guys trying to pull one off on a community that's scrambling. Nostalrius has said multiple times they're not associated with them in any way (which they have claimed to be) and they insist on using the name as well. 2 looks into the server and website and you can tell there's no effort in it and the people behind it aren't the least bit experienced. The core is a copypasta mangos core.

PlayTBC is another example. I understand all the desire but everyone has to realize that private servers don't come out of the blue. Yes I can have absolutely no experience in pservers and make one and announce it. However, if you'd like a non-buggy version of the game (and there's a difference between ok-buggy and buggy) like Nostalrius was it takes quite a great deal and capabilities. If you're really anxious to play an expansion tryout some more established servers that have been around for longer.

And while I understand that won't work because people are looking for progression, then just don't hype these new servers because it's going to be a giant let-down. I've been in industry for a while, trust me when I tell you a good core takes a while to build and a good team.

#9 God

God
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Aegwynn
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents:

Posted 20 April 2016 - 10:30 AM

Yeah, I think most of us would definitely prefer Blizzard providing Legacy Servers, because then we wouldn't have to worry about all of our hard work being deleted when Blizzard decides to be greedy SOBs.

Probably with Blizzard hosting it is they'll separate the communities, in the short-time I was playing on Nostalrius one of the things I liked was that the servers were active 24/7 due to the nature of having only really 1 or 2 servers that combined US/EU/etc communities.

Might of sucked for US players (no idea what latency they had) but it meant there was always something happening.

#10 Relentless

Relentless
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Ragnaros
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Blood 0/0/1/2/2/2
  • LocationEngland

Posted 20 April 2016 - 02:02 PM

Probably with Blizzard hosting it is they'll separate the communities, in the short-time I was playing on Nostalrius one of the things I liked was that the servers were active 24/7 due to the nature of having only really 1 or 2 servers that combined US/EU/etc communities.

Might of sucked for US players (no idea what latency they had) but it meant there was always something happening.

Would blizzard do this if they took on legacy servers though? I'd think that to keep costs down they'd only have a few servers, not like the hundreds of live servers.

#11 Frosteye

Frosteye
  • Junkies
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Ner'zhul
  • Bloodlust

Posted 20 April 2016 - 02:45 PM

Forget about this. This is one of those classy guys trying to pull one off on a community that's scrambling. Nostalrius has said multiple times they're not associated with them in any way (which they have claimed to be) and they insist on using the name as well. 2 looks into the server and website and you can tell there's no effort in it and the people behind it aren't the least bit experienced. The core is a copypasta mangos core.

PlayTBC is another example. I understand all the desire but everyone has to realize that private servers don't come out of the blue. Yes I can have absolutely no experience in pservers and make one and announce it. However, if you'd like a non-buggy version of the game (and there's a difference between ok-buggy and buggy) like Nostalrius was it takes quite a great deal and capabilities. If you're really anxious to play an expansion tryout some more established servers that have been around for longer.

And while I understand that won't work because people are looking for progression, then just don't hype these new servers because it's going to be a giant let-down. I've been in industry for a while, trust me when I tell you a good core takes a while to build and a good team.

There is so much misinformation in this --

1) They never claimed to be the original Nostalrius Team, I'm sure you won't be able to find a quote because they haven't. All they've said is they would like to continue on where Nostalrius Left Off. You are correct that Nostalrius.org has not endorsed ANY particular server project, to include Vanilla.RE.

2) They are using Nostalrius Reborns name because that's what players want to use. They asked players if they wanted a different name and that is what the community wanted. Again they've never said that they are affiliated with the original Nostalrius, merely that they are waiting for that team to make PUBLICLY available the information need (See below).

3) Yes they are using a copy pasta Mangos core for their "BETA". Because Nostalrius.org has not released their Server Core Source Code, or the Player Database yet. Vanilla.RE has already said they are going to import these once they are available. The BETA is for them to prepare for the real thing.

Their leadership team has been very forthcoming and honest about what they plan to do, and so far they have delivered on their promises.

Other than going to Kronos (Who doesn't accept Server Transfers) there aren't really any great options. Nostalrius Reborn is planning to continue on where Nostalrius Begins left off. We will be able to play our same characters and not have to start over.

Why all the mistrust?

#12 Lirox

Lirox
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 20 April 2016 - 02:52 PM

if you think nost will release all there source code youre pretty dumb
best

#13 Frosteye

Frosteye
  • Junkies
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Ner'zhul
  • Bloodlust

Posted 20 April 2016 - 02:59 PM

if you think nost will release all there source code youre pretty dumb

https://en.nostalriu...g/#announcement

Today is also the day where Nostalrius will start being community-driven in the truest sense of the word, as we will be releasing the source code, and anonymized players data (encrypting personal account data), so the community as a whole will decide the form of the future of Nostalrius. We will still be there in the background if you want us to, but will no longer take the lead.

They claim that they will. By your logic we should trust Nostalrius.org less than Vanilla.RE then?

The entire future of Nostalrius (on whichever future server people end up on) relies entirely on Nostalrius.org making good on it's commitment to the public.

#14 God

God
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Aegwynn
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents:

Posted 20 April 2016 - 05:12 PM

Would blizzard do this if they took on legacy servers though? I'd think that to keep costs down they'd only have a few servers, not like the hundreds of live servers.

Blizzard aren't going to make servers were one side has 150+ latency, probably just 1-2 between each region.

#15 Lirox

Lirox
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 20 April 2016 - 05:50 PM

https://en.nostalriu...g/#announcement

They claim that they will. By your logic we should trust Nostalrius.org less than Vanilla.RE then?

The entire future of Nostalrius (on whichever future server people end up on) relies entirely on Nostalrius.org making good on it's commitment to the public.

yes but they also said they arent going to release all of it.
best

#16 Frosteye

Frosteye
  • Junkies
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Ner'zhul
  • Bloodlust

Posted 20 April 2016 - 06:01 PM

yes but they also said they arent going to release all of it.

Source?

#17 Lirox

Lirox
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 20 April 2016 - 06:32 PM

Source?

not going to spend all day reading reddit threads, go find it yourself.
best

#18 Frosteye

Frosteye
  • Junkies
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Ner'zhul
  • Bloodlust

Posted 20 April 2016 - 07:12 PM

not going to spend all day reading reddit threads, go find it yourself.

They've only said that certain "anti cheating" modules will not be released since they do not want to contribute to cheating in World of Warcraft, but they MAY make that code available to other private servers at a later date.

The actual game code is being fully released in it's entirety per their official communications.

Get your facts straight bro.

#19 Jamminlove

Jamminlove
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Ravencrest
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Shadow 1/1/0/1/0/0/0
  • 2v2: 1592
  • 3v3: 2582
  • 5v5: 576
  • RBG: 1729

Posted 20 April 2016 - 08:46 PM

You don't need direct quotes to know exactly what they're doing. Regardless, you can ignore all of that. And still, would you want to join a brand new nostalrius with a brand new team that has absolutely no experience and will in no way be able to provide the progression you love? Or maintain the services and community? Or how can you even trust that they're not up to anything shady? Considering they appeared out of nowhere and have shown no signals (that I know of) of having any past experience.

Don't be a fool. It's a half assed thing they made which anyone, absolutely anyone could do. Oh hey let me just make this website and announce nostalrius reborn and just use their core and db when it comes out and it'll be fine.

Be my guest though. I just thought I'd throw in my unbiased 2 cents.

#20 Xinowl

Xinowl
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Frostmane
  • Misery
  • Talents: Arms 0/0/1/0/1/2/0
  • 2v2: 2088
  • 3v3: 2404
  • RBG: 1746

Posted 20 April 2016 - 08:48 PM

One of the best things about Nostalrius (and Legacy servers) Is that everyone has a main character, and you are sure which one that is. And people actually play it as main!
You can't just have 4-5 characters all with the best PVP gear, because it really takes an effort. Want shoulder enchants? HF getting Scryer rep. Want Stormherald? HF getting BS to max and then farming the fuck out of heroics + raids.

On live right now, if r-druids sucks tomorrow, then everyone will just go on their priest or paladin and heal instead. No problem.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Vanilla, Nostalrius

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<