• Humanclass_name
  • EU-Silvermoon
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Destruction 0/2/0/1/0/0/0
  • 2v2: 1338
  • LocationRussia

Posted 16 October 2015 - 03:14 PM

I honestly don't agree with ability pruning being a bad concept on its own

Do people really disagree that having 80+ hotkeys (in some cases even 120+) and a lot of important (or even not-so-important) things being visible only on the UI (and in some cases only with modifications) is horrible design?

Forget about the actual implementation here for a second, I mean I definitely agree that they removed some shit that shouldn't have been touched (I literally quit cuz they removed Fel Flame). Think about this purely from a conceptual point of view
Default UI Scripts - Compilation & how-to

#42 Capstone

Capstone
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Frost 2/2/0/1/0/0/1
  • 2v2: 1521
  • 3v3: 2346
  • RBG: 2143

Posted 16 October 2015 - 03:52 PM

To the people who beta tested WoD:

You fucking suck and let many people down. You're basically the last line of defense against the tyranny of Holinka and his team. Scores of people would have loved your job and/or taken it seriously. Many followed you from the sidelines as people made videos, promoted how good WoD was going to be, and spammed how good of a design it was going to be. omfg the hype was so real.

Most (not all, obv) beta testers need to owe up to this. You didn't do enough. Yes, the beta fixed a lot of bugs (although these days most bugs are caught via proper software engineering and validation. But it didn't come close to having an effect on pushing good changes into WoD.

I blame the types of people selected for beta testing. After you rule out the random kids selected for hardware testing reasons, you're left with a ton of people who didn't commit to improving the game via outcry, feedback, and distancing themselves from the hand that feeds them.

If you beta tested WoD you probably shouldn't be allowed to beta test Legion.

do you work at blizzard? do you know what kind of feedback beta testers provided? can you account for the testing done by every WoD beta player (or any WoD beta player)? or do you know none of these things, and are totally just speculating? you make generalizations about every tester, but i find it difficult to believe you can even account for the average tester. i'd be surprised if you could account for more than five

it sounds like you have no idea what feedback anyone provided and are just complaining, which is strange, because in an even longer point you acknowledge the fact that blizzard is so shit that even with all of the resources any company can reasonably expect they cannot even keep their flagship game from regressing

there was nothing any number of beta testers could have done to save this shit. there is no amount of constructive feedback any number of players or communities could give this shit company to make them effect any positive change. until there are no players left on your favorite, home server, they will continue to squeeze the life out of this game, disregarding any legitimate opinion as the uninformed wishes of a simple user. holinka will make a tweet, in an attempt to channel the wit of a second grade Capstone, of how an arenajunkie like yourself will just complain about anything, self-assured that your perspective is inferior; one of someone who has never designed games. how could you possibly know better than he? i'll have you know holinka has been designing shit games for 19 years

i have beta tested for blizzard before. i reported a bunch of bugged shit and ridiculous abilities. a quest in sholazar basin which did not function properly (which i still fucking think is bugged). i was earnest in my attempts to improve the game. you did not have to be a genius to understand that death knights were as absolutely fucked as shit could be. when the game came out, i noticed, one by one, they had all made it to live. i solo'd a wing of 25-player Naxxramas and reported the bug. in return, i got banned for three days, and they didn't even fix the shit until some guy made a video of it on warcraftmovies

trying to be constructive toward this company is embarrassing. i would feel like an idiot going to the WoW forums to post ideas to improve the game, because believing in my ability to have a positive influence on the design of this game would be an indication of inability to learn from past mistakes. even now, i cringe at the naivete of mop players that believe things will get better

the next expansion could be good, but most likely, it will just be shit. people will start coming out of the woodwork talking about cool shit they have seen and how it looks like there could be some really positive changes, but it will come out and be shit. and you know what else? most of us will play it for a while, just to be sure that it is shit, like we didn't already know. those of us who enjoy shit the most will continue to play it, complaining the entire time that it is shit, talking about how even the last iteration of shit was slightly less shit than the shit we have now, and looking forward to what might come with the next cycle of shit. there's no escaping it, though. this game, and everyone in its orbit, is doomed to a destiny of experienced-varied shit, and no beta testing will ever save that

#43 RippedLife

RippedLife
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Aegwynn
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Windwalker 2/1/0/2/0/1/1
  • LocationAustria

Posted 16 October 2015 - 03:58 PM

You guys are realizing that Blizzard is pushing for the 1 year expansion releases, when you are on that tight time schedule there is basically no time to do major changes. This happened in WoD and the garrison system, the devs realized the problems that would bring very early on in the development process, but at that time it was too late to do any changes. They said this in an interview btw so I'm not making this shit up.

As for Legion, it's the same story there. Unless you are in the development process pre-alpha, then you have little or no say to how they will design the content. Beta right now is basically a bug report simulator.

It's sad as shit, but yeah this is why our feedback don't matter for shit anymore.

legion will come out in may/june so not really 1 year expansions

Posted Image

Posted Image

#44 watchmepwn

watchmepwn
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Frost 1/1/0/2/2/2/2
  • 2v2: 1644
  • 3v3: 2260
  • RBG: 1142

Posted 16 October 2015 - 05:52 PM

i solo'd a wing of 25-player Naxxramas and reported the bug. in return, i got banned for three days, and they didn't even fix the shit until some guy made a video of it on warcraftmovies

EXACTLY this. I had early access in previous expansions and the best thing was, I found exploits and bugs in the new expansion. So I also found out through another beta tester that you could 'speak' to ally as horde. So I tested it and reported the bug... Result: Ban on live-account.

No excuses. I exploited a game breaking bug. All though I got lucky. My friend tried it on live back then and succeeded.. result > permanent ban. Yes folks, they perm banned a guy for talking in the 'english language' with another racial in game. Thank god that he is now allowed to play again.

#45 Nicholaes92

Nicholaes92
  • Junkies

Posted 16 October 2015 - 07:06 PM

EXACTLY this. I had early access in previous expansions and the best thing was, I found exploits and bugs in the new expansion. So I also found out through another beta tester that you could 'speak' to ally as horde. So I tested it and reported the bug... Result: Ban on live-account.

No excuses. I exploited a game breaking bug. All though I got lucky. My friend tried it on live back then and succeeded.. result > permanent ban. Yes folks, they perm banned a guy for talking in the 'english language' with another racial in game. Thank god that he is now allowed to play again.

Yup that's why no one reports these things because in order to prove it you go out and do it yourself and get in trouble for it. That's how I got into a higher end guild on my server at the time was because I literally geared up my lock fairly well and got a shit ton of tailoring patterns off of hydros (the first boss in ssc), and they assumed I was a server xfer from a guild that did ssc on the reg when in reality it was my alt and I abused a glitch where hydros couldn't hit you and got moneys
AJ's Wall of Tough Guys

i'm not your average aj user bro you're gonna have to up you game little boy.

Also tread lightly my friend, you dont know who you are talking to ;)

who the fuck do u think you are, random fucking nobody, u dont deserve any of my time/effort retard. "tell me that a blizzcon" srsly? great fucking insult m9. dont even talk to me

#46 Voksen

Voksen
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Magtheridon
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Shadow

Posted 16 October 2015 - 08:57 PM

The second half of your post is pretty ignorant tbh fam. Especially as an older player, you'd have to remember that during every expansion release and beta phase (for pretty much all blizzard games) people have repeatedly made it clear there were design issues that go completely ignored.

Like Ottish person said, the beta is never even set up for serious pvp testing and it's an obvious reason as to why those issues specifically (referring to broken abilities/bugs) make it to live.

Completely agree and yes I feel like a douche for the rant. But thats now...after getting the recent feedback in this thread from actual WoD beta testers, and the personal anecdotes of people's experiences reporting and making suggestions to Blizzard using official channels.

Edit:

@ Capstone and others: I worded the post to slam WoD beta testers and the whole joke of a beta process in general, mainly to create drama and incite more discussion. Obviously should have worded it differently. But I thought it was obvious ? from the context that I wasn't calling out people who actually tried to improve WoD and take their beta testing seriously.

Apologies to people offended by being clumped into the general pile of shit that was several rounds of beta invites, months of testing, promoting, hype, etc., and leaving us with how we know live/retail WoD today.

Edited by Voksen, 16 October 2015 - 09:17 PM.

#47 Naraga

Naraga
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Ravencrest
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Discipline 1/1/0/1/1/1/2
  • 2v2: 2268
  • 3v3: 2565
  • 5v5: 96

Posted 16 October 2015 - 10:34 PM

I honestly don't agree with ability pruning being a bad concept on its own

Do people really disagree that having 80+ hotkeys (in some cases even 120+) and a lot of important (or even not-so-important) things being visible only on the UI (and in some cases only with modifications) is horrible design?

Forget about the actual implementation here for a second, I mean I definitely agree that they removed some shit that shouldn't have been touched (I literally quit cuz they removed Fel Flame). Think about this purely from a conceptual point of view

No one is saying ability pruning as a concept is bad.

People are saying they pruned the wrong abilities.
S8 ele LSD glad S9 resto shamn glad Thunka

Druid utility is superior to shamans utility already

all the other healers should be buffed up to the point of having a way of not having to outplay 2 dps to survive

Thunka 2.0

disc is way way better than druid.

#48 Dizzeeyo

Dizzeeyo
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Frost 0/2/0/2/2/2
  • RBG: 2274

Posted 16 October 2015 - 11:10 PM

No one is saying ability pruning as a concept is bad.

People are saying they pruned the wrong abilities.

pretty much

people were expecting them to prune all the horrible forced abilities cata and onwards introduced, and return to more natural tbc/wotlk gameplay

they ended up pruning half our vanilla abilities and leaving pretty much every recently introduced and horrible mechanic intact, so wod ended up being just a natural continuation of cata > mop > wod, just with most of the things that made cata and mop fun removed

Edited by Dizzeeyo, 16 October 2015 - 11:13 PM.

No because the difference is when I play a comp i play it close to skill cap

if anyone needs to be banned, it's you. You do nothing but sit on AJ being a passive aggressive idiot that nobody likes, sorry you stink of washing up liquid.

Feel free to call me an idiot because I'm a hunter or some stupid ass remark but I've actually written all this down on paper

I actually made an appearance at DH2014 and I met up with people from twitch who were involved with the dota 2 / cs tournies that where there, I talked about the game from my perspective as a professional player and we actually shared a lot of opinions. All I'm saying is a lot of people will be VERY surprised about the future of this game in the esport world :)

#49 sarma

sarma
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Unholy 1/2/2/1/1/2/2
  • 2v2: 1563
  • RBG: 768
  • LocationSerbia

Posted 17 October 2015 - 12:16 AM

horrible forced abilities cata and onwards introduced

what is horrible cata spell that got introduced aside recuperate?
Posted Image

#50 Dizzeeyo

Dizzeeyo
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Frost 0/2/0/2/2/2
  • RBG: 2274

Posted 17 October 2015 - 12:27 AM

what is horrible cata spell that got introduced aside recuperate?

ring of frost?

flame orb, that became the current frozen orb?

dragon's breath lasting 5 seconds?

cba to think of non mage abilities sorry

Edited by Dizzeeyo, 17 October 2015 - 12:27 AM.

No because the difference is when I play a comp i play it close to skill cap

if anyone needs to be banned, it's you. You do nothing but sit on AJ being a passive aggressive idiot that nobody likes, sorry you stink of washing up liquid.

Feel free to call me an idiot because I'm a hunter or some stupid ass remark but I've actually written all this down on paper

I actually made an appearance at DH2014 and I met up with people from twitch who were involved with the dota 2 / cs tournies that where there, I talked about the game from my perspective as a professional player and we actually shared a lot of opinions. All I'm saying is a lot of people will be VERY surprised about the future of this game in the esport world :)

#51 Thaya

Thaya
  • Moderators
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Silvermoon
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • LocationRussia

Posted 17 October 2015 - 12:45 AM

do you work at blizzard? do you know what kind of feedback beta testers provided? can you account for the testing done by every WoD beta player (or any WoD beta player)? or do you know none of these things, and are totally just speculating? you make generalizations about every tester, but i find it difficult to believe you can even account for the average tester. i'd be surprised if you could account for more than five

it sounds like you have no idea what feedback anyone provided and are just complaining, which is strange, because in an even longer point you acknowledge the fact that blizzard is so shit that even with all of the resources any company can reasonably expect they cannot even keep their flagship game from regressing

there was nothing any number of beta testers could have done to save this shit. there is no amount of constructive feedback any number of players or communities could give this shit company to make them effect any positive change. until there are no players left on your favorite, home server, they will continue to squeeze the life out of this game, disregarding any legitimate opinion as the uninformed wishes of a simple user. holinka will make a tweet, in an attempt to channel the wit of a second grade Capstone, of how an arenajunkie like yourself will just complain about anything, self-assured that your perspective is inferior; one of someone who has never designed games. how could you possibly know better than he? i'll have you know holinka has been designing shit games for 19 years

i have beta tested for blizzard before. i reported a bunch of bugged shit and ridiculous abilities. a quest in sholazar basin which did not function properly (which i still fucking think is bugged). i was earnest in my attempts to improve the game. you did not have to be a genius to understand that death knights were as absolutely fucked as shit could be. when the game came out, i noticed, one by one, they had all made it to live. i solo'd a wing of 25-player Naxxramas and reported the bug. in return, i got banned for three days, and they didn't even fix the shit until some guy made a video of it on warcraftmovies

trying to be constructive toward this company is embarrassing. i would feel like an idiot going to the WoW forums to post ideas to improve the game, because believing in my ability to have a positive influence on the design of this game would be an indication of inability to learn from past mistakes. even now, i cringe at the naivete of mop players that believe things will get better

the next expansion could be good, but most likely, it will just be shit. people will start coming out of the woodwork talking about cool shit they have seen and how it looks like there could be some really positive changes, but it will come out and be shit. and you know what else? most of us will play it for a while, just to be sure that it is shit, like we didn't already know. those of us who enjoy shit the most will continue to play it, complaining the entire time that it is shit, talking about how even the last iteration of shit was slightly less shit than the shit we have now, and looking forward to what might come with the next cycle of shit. there's no escaping it, though. this game, and everyone in its orbit, is doomed to a destiny of experienced-varied shit, and no beta testing will ever save that

eh

that wotlk story is unfortunate, yet wotlk is the expansion where sub numbers spiked and is the expansion most people consider the best. they obviously must have done something right, too. i'm absolutely sure tbc shipped with bugs that people reported on the beta test as well. it doesn't really mean that much. someone releasing a video of an exploit on wcm simply bumped the priority of the issue, which is why they gave it development time only then. the ban is lame, but it's not hard to understand why it happened (fact is you still used a blatant exploit to kill 3-4 bosses, imagine if people just used exploits and then reported themselves to avoid punishment? social engineering is an actual thing and so are private exploits). software ships with bugs all the time, especially big software like this game is. besides, blizzard is actually known for their polish first and foremost

complaining about shit is still providing feedback. technically, there's very little difference between what you've been doing before and after you learnt from your mistakes

also their flagship game regressing probably has more to do with it being over 10 years old and the endgame being pretty much exactly the same throughout. there's just much less people that are excited by the idea of raiding or pvping than there were in 2004 or 2008 or whatever. i'm honestly not sure why expect anything but regression when the last time they introduced actual novelty (on a conceptual level) was the addition of arenas in tbc. i mean, "haha you're so shit you can't keep your 11 year old game from dying" just doesn't sound like that much of an insult tbh

#52 Hateformz

Hateformz
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Gul'dan
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Arms 0/0/0/1/1/2/.

Posted 17 October 2015 - 12:57 AM

i mean, "haha you're so shit you can't keep your 11 year old game from dying" just doesn't sound like that much of an insult tbh

given that their playerbase wants to keep playing their 11 year old game and keeps shoveling money down their throats, it is pretty embarrassing that they somehow keep finding ways to fuck it up
Posted Image

#53 Thaya

Thaya
  • Moderators
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Silvermoon
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • LocationRussia

Posted 17 October 2015 - 01:00 AM

given that their playerbase wants to keep playing their 11 year old game and keeps shoveling money down their throats, it is pretty embarrassing that they somehow keep finding ways to fuck it up

that's a pretty wild stretch of imagination

#54 Thaya

Thaya
  • Moderators
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Silvermoon
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • LocationRussia

Posted 17 October 2015 - 01:03 AM

that is, if you're implying that there's still 11 million people who want to play it, but 6 million don't because blizzard is fucking up

not completely sure what your point is

#55 Odrareg

Odrareg
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Holy 1/0/2/2/1/0/2
  • 2v2: 1960
  • 3v3: 2151
  • LocationItaly

Posted 17 October 2015 - 01:12 AM

ability pruning makes sense where you go and remove spells that you just really do NOT use.

just to throw some examples, as a frost mage in cataclysm i remember i actually had FIREBALL as well, which i literally NEVER USED.
however I loved having arcane explosion and fire blast. warlocks having searing pain was also a very interesting mechanic.

i can understand the part where you change the mana regen / health pools / dmg throughput of players and you remove heals like "healing wave", "holy light" (the cheap, slow, but very efficient heals) and just keep greater healing wave and healing surge / divine light and flash of light - i mean i personally disagree with it because it's my fucking problem if i want to heal for less to save some mana, but hey after all it doesn't change the game too much.

however when you delete divine plea, evocation, hymn of hope, you take away vampiric touch's mana regen, and you just give a fucking passive mp5 to everyone, i fucking hate you blizzard.

divine plea, +mana regen and -50% healing for X seconds -> you had to know when to use it + cancelaura macro ready vs mages because giving them even few ticks of your divine plea meant they wouldn't have to go back to evocate for quite a while

iceblock not passively healing so that everyone uses it at 10%, but instead used to block damage at high hp in most cases;
hunters having to be good at switching from aspect of the fox to aspect of the hawk to maximize movement and dmg throughput even when casting steady shot and then chimera shot
warriors having to use a shield to spell reflect

and so much more...

so yes to newborn duelists or gladiators or whatever it is who think that in reality old expansions are just "nostalgia", sorry but with all due respect you have no idea. skill level is so flattened that queueing arena literally makes me puke..ability pruning is one of the BIGGEST reasons why WoD is so boring.

also, there probably wouldn't be the same 11mil players playing today - you might in fact have less, the game is growing old, but even after 8-9 years i still really enjoy the CONCEPT (not the current state) of pvp and arena so today's decline is not "just" WoW's age.
the problem is that veterans are quitting and the game is so fragile and weak that it struggles to create NEW loyal players because the game is not appealing as it was before, so right now WoW is literally living on those nerds who can't stop playing it for some fucked up reason (like me) and players that will freeze their account rather soon because they can't get involved with the feeling of the game.

#56 Thaya

Thaya
  • Moderators
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Silvermoon
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • LocationRussia

Posted 17 October 2015 - 01:16 AM

also

getting banned on live for doing something on ptr sounds extremely unlikely

are you sure it wasn't by mistake? maybe you reported it on live and the gm assumed you had done it on live (and he has to respond to that with a suspension by protocol)? did you try to appeal it?

a permaban for something like this doesn't sound likely as well. your friend either had a stack of warnings beforehand or this exploit involved using external hacks

#57 Thaya

Thaya
  • Moderators
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Silvermoon
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • LocationRussia

Posted 17 October 2015 - 01:52 AM

ability pruning makes sense where you go and remove spells that you just really do NOT use.

just to throw some examples, as a frost mage in cataclysm i remember i actually had FIREBALL as well, which i literally NEVER USED.
however I loved having arcane explosion and fire blast. warlocks having searing pain was also a very interesting mechanic.

i can understand the part where you change the mana regen / health pools / dmg throughput of players and you remove heals like "healing wave", "holy light" (the cheap, slow, but very efficient heals) and just keep greater healing wave and healing surge / divine light and flash of light - i mean i personally disagree with it because it's my fucking problem if i want to heal for less to save some mana, but hey after all it doesn't change the game too much.

however when you delete divine plea, evocation, hymn of hope, you take away vampiric touch's mana regen, and you just give a fucking passive mp5 to everyone, i fucking hate you blizzard.

divine plea, +mana regen and -50% healing for X seconds -> you had to know when to use it + cancelaura macro ready vs mages because giving them even few ticks of your divine plea meant they wouldn't have to go back to evocate for quite a while

iceblock not passively healing so that everyone uses it at 10%, but instead used to block damage at high hp in most cases;
hunters having to be good at switching from aspect of the fox to aspect of the hawk to maximize movement and dmg throughput even when casting steady shot and then chimera shot
warriors having to use a shield to spell reflect

and so much more...

so yes to newborn duelists or gladiators or whatever it is who think that in reality old expansions are just "nostalgia", sorry but with all due respect you have no idea. skill level is so flattened that queueing arena literally makes me puke..ability pruning is one of the BIGGEST reasons why WoD is so boring.

also, there probably wouldn't be the same 11mil players playing today - you might in fact have less, the game is growing old, but even after 8-9 years i still really enjoy the CONCEPT (not the current state) of pvp and arena so today's decline is not "just" WoW's age.
the problem is that veterans are quitting and the game is so fragile and weak that it struggles to create NEW loyal players because the game is not appealing as it was before, so right now WoW is literally living on those nerds who can't stop playing it for some fucked up reason (like me) and players that will freeze their account rather soon because they can't get involved with the feeling of the game.

i agree that they removed shit they shouldn't have but the aura canceling was actually an example of bad design

it's completely hidden to a spectator who's not aware of such delicate details of paladin vs mage play. it also means that "knowing when to use it" matters less because you have something else to fall back on, making "knowing when to use it" less impressive

like, if i was watching you on a tournament, i'd clearly understand when you used plea in a situation where the mage can't steal it from you, and i'd admire that as a good play. i most likely wouldn't notice you right clicking a buff though

it's also another hotkey when there's already a billion hotkeys/macros you could consider mandatory for arena

#58 sarma

sarma
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Unholy 1/2/2/1/1/2/2
  • 2v2: 1563
  • RBG: 768
  • LocationSerbia

Posted 17 October 2015 - 02:02 AM

ring of frost?

flame orb, that became the current frozen orb?

dragon's breath lasting 5 seconds?

cba to think of non mage abilities sorry

2 min rof - not big deal also it was activating 1-2 seconds after its placed and was on dr with deep if I recall good - no big deal
flame orb did 0 dmg
dragon breath 5 sec oh well 1 second more then it was

Also ability pruning is not a bad thing , they just pruned wrong things ! you loved arcane explosion as frost - np add frost explosion for frost spec instead of pruning!

I think every class and spec had went too far away from its original state , what they should do is go back to basics and design classes and specs more warcraft !

EXAMPLE :

Paladin
bubble , plate , heals , def auras, melee 2 hander! str based (all 3 specs, holy battle healer with off hand book + 2 hand) fits fantasy!

Posted Image

Also add back resources , wtf mana is not a resource why not just remove it then :(

Edited by sarma, 17 October 2015 - 02:21 AM.

Posted Image

#59 Capstone

Capstone
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Frost 2/2/0/1/0/0/1
  • 2v2: 1521
  • 3v3: 2346
  • RBG: 2143

Posted 17 October 2015 - 02:02 AM

complaining about shit is still providing feedback. technically, there's very little difference between what you've been doing before and after you learnt from your mistakes

i'm assuming you must have really disliked my post to be making points like these

the difference is very distinctive. i could go to the battle.net forums or participate in the arenajunkies criticism threads where we all pretend to exist in a universe where our opinions are meaningful and positive impact can be made on the game through suggestions from the community, but that is not a reality with this game (which is notable because it IS a reality with other games)

also their flagship game regressing probably has more to do with it being over 10 years old and the endgame being pretty much exactly the same throughout. there's just much less people that are excited by the idea of raiding or pvping than there were in 2004 or 2008 or whatever. i'm honestly not sure why expect anything but regression when the last time they introduced actual novelty (on a conceptual level) was the addition of arenas in tbc. i mean, "haha you're so shit you can't keep your 11 year old game from dying" just doesn't sound like that much of an insult tbh

i could not disagree any more

the most successful games historically have been able to attract new players and retain old ones. i was one of those kids who played magic: the gathering in middle school, and like literally everyone i know, grew out of it entirely, but sure as shit, i still see huge ass tournaments being watched by comparable numbers of people to WoW tournaments on twitch. i wonder to myself, "how is this possible? doesn't everyone quit this game?" any number of FPS games lose players as they get older, but somehow, they keep releasing new titles, maps, etc. and keep the game growing. how much "actual novelty" (if the only "actual novelty" introduced by blizzard is adding arenas into the game) can these other games be introducing and maintaining their communities?

it's quite simple; if you have a good product and you do an adequate job of maintaining it, you will not bleed players like WoW has. you are continually framing your points as a measure of active players, but that's not even the main consideration when i say that the game is regressing. more than anything, it is a surprise to me that through so much experience developing this game, it is continually made worse. your point would be relevant if the game was becoming more fun and comparably interesting but losing players. instead, by virtually every player's account, the game is becoming increasingly lifeless. it seems as if there is less content actively introduced during any given period of an expansion than there was previously. the game is dying, i don't mean that people are quitting. i mean the game is continually losing more and more elements that made it breathe

#60 ROKMODE

ROKMODE
  • Junkies
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Shattered Hand
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Balance

Posted 17 October 2015 - 02:40 AM

lol almost every cata spell that was added was completely unneeded, artificially increased the skillcap by just adding more button bloating, or drastically changed the playstyle because it was so fucking strong

knockback immunity on DK
necrotic strike (I don't care what anyone says, fuck this ability, especially in cata)
dark simul when dks already had like 15 ways to stop spells
recuperate
smoke bomb
ring of frost (yes this spell was a big deal dunno what ur smoking, any ability, including smoke bomb, that completely takes out part of a map is by default game changing)
solar beam (lol)
subterfuge
paladin interrupt, feral interrupt (when they already had feral charge)
the entire system of holy power, and pretty much all those sub systems (eclipse and whatever) (this alone accounts for like 10 abilities
unleash elements (absolutely nobody was asking for this)
unholy frenzy (new spell basically b/c cata made it break cc making it another unneeded spell that had no reason to exist)
starsurge, especially since it turned into an instant burst spell that randomly reset 24/7, boomkin damage was already strong in wrath
frostfire orb, which gave you like infinite fingers of frost
heroic leap- honestly what the fuck, nobody wanted this in place of having charge/intercept LOL, it didn't even work a lot of the time
stupid ass mushrooms which just turned into annoying as fuck desecration
universal dispel (something again nobody at all asked for)
adding bloodlust to like 10 different classes (only really relevant in s9)
Everything they did to the hunter class
strangulate being an interrupt in addition to a silence
ghoul getting an interrupt
throwdown (another thing nobody asked for)
warlocks getting 15 fel doms
warlocks getting an out of combat evocate (WHO THE FUCK ASKED FOR THIS LOL)
Soul swap
MAGE INVIS letting u see targets, basically just giving mages a stealth,invis further reducing the rogue stealth niche (again set a precedent)
revamping combustion from an ability to increased your crit change to ability that nearly ended the game everytime it was pressed
and basically every singe cooldown, stun, silence, kick that was added that made the game increasingly frustrating to play

when you compare that to wotlk added spells, you get a different trend. In TBC, many specs were incomplete, and it was really obvious. Wotlk made most classes flow better and have a toolset that made a good deal of sense, filling in the holes left unfinished in BC. Cata took weaknesses and filled them, which led to future expansions where everyone can do everything--it set the precedent in a manner of speaking.

Good examples of what I mean:
Shadowpriests oomed like a bitch in TBC (this would have become a big issue as the game naturally became faster) and had no survival cooldowns: Dispersion was added, but it deliberately tied both these weaknesses together, so that if you used it at low mana, you were then vulnerable.
Hex was added because shamans had literally 0 cc, which would have made them irrelevant had TBC continued.
Thunderstorm and roots were added because elemental shamans oomed easily in TBC and got absolutely shit on because they had whack ass survial tools.
Lava burst was added because shamans had EVERYTHING tied to one school of magic which was a shitty design.
Wind shear was taken off earthshock and made a separate ability because it was needlessly tied together, which made the class feel less coherent.

For the uncalled for spells such as penance and deep freeze, they just ended up working really well and made the game fun, but imo at that point, they should have just stopped adding fun spells because that was nearly the threshold. The ability lineup was like ideal at that point, with a few spells such as bladestorm and spirit wolves being a bit too derpy, but for the most part I'd say that nearly everyone will tell you that the diversity was very much there while also adhering to a system of very apparent weaknesses for every spec.

Edited by ROKMODE, 17 October 2015 - 02:49 AM.

Expect bias in posts because
Wotlk is the best thing since sliced bread

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beta, testing, wod, legion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<