Arena Junkies was shut down on July 1st, 2018. You're viewing an archive of this page from 2018-06-26 at 05:58. Thank you all for your support! Please get in touch via the Curse help desk if you need any support using this archive.

Photo

Ban advertisements of boosting sites?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
364 replies to this topic

#201 Infernion

Infernion
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Affliction 1/1/2/0/0/1/2
  • 2v2: 952
  • 3v3: 3118
  • RBG: 2035

Posted 11 October 2015 - 10:03 PM

infernionhpal taking all my boosts, bitch

What can I say, customers want players with regionals experience so they are 100% sure they get what they pay for

#202 flannelsoff

flannelsoff
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Frost 2/0/1/0/1/0
  • RBG: 2818

Posted 11 October 2015 - 11:20 PM

Ok, here it is. I happened to be close to a whiteboard.

Posted Image

This is what you want your player curve to look like. In a healthy system, this is the optimal player distribution. To make it easier to understand, here is a graph of how difficult rating is to achieve:

Posted Image

Key points:
- Top percentage of players can get gladiator/R1
- No "jumps" in difficulty eases learning process.
- Steady progression throughout most of the experience, while still awarding top players with rewards.

When you get boosting, you essentially get this around key rating bumps:
Posted Image

Less than the 0.5% and 0.1% of individuals actually gets big rewards. The difficulty of rating acquisition graph is going to look like this:

Posted Image

Here you get a more linear curve to begin with, as there's on average less players, and more high skilled players fare in the lower brackets. There's jumps around the gladiator spot, and the distance towards max skill decreases as you approach R1.

Key points:
- Smaller percentage of individuals get Gladiator/R1
- Faster increase in skill requirement and skill jumps makes arena more daunting.
- High skill players fare in low skill bracket, creating many negative experiences for new players.

Overall you get the problem that arena is less "fun" to begin with, the learning process is more difficult and getting high-level rewards seem more unattainable.

Sure. Great argument. I really want to build an F16-fighter jet. I'll probably get around to it, but I'm quite sure I'm more likely to do so if getting the blueprint is easy as fuck. And there's no way I'll change my mind before I get around to acquiring it. Nope.

You never acted on impulse and figured out later it was a bad idea?

i respect the hustle

#203 flannelsoff

flannelsoff
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Frost 2/0/1/0/1/0
  • RBG: 2818

Posted 11 October 2015 - 11:24 PM

I don't blame people for boosting, but if you deny it's bad for the game you're delusional

#204 Fizion

Fizion
  • Premium Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Affliction 0/0/0/2/0/0/0
  • 2v2: 1814
  • 3v3: 2101
  • 5v5: 1777
  • RBG: 768
  • LocationAshburn, VA

Posted 11 October 2015 - 11:49 PM

I don't blame people for boosting, but if you deny it's bad for the game you're delusional

Exactly - end of argument.

#205 Knaittiz

Knaittiz
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Defias Brotherhood
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Affliction
  • 2v2: 574
  • 3v3: 3067
  • RBG: 1744
  • LocationFinland

Posted 12 October 2015 - 01:12 AM

I think of boosting as a giant "fuck you too, blizzard" no respect to them for getting us hooked on this and then making it garbage. Good on the boosters for making a few bucks out of this madness.

People smurfing in cs ruining other peoples games for their own enjoyment are the real villains here.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

BUY MY MIXTAPE

#206 Bootzx

Bootzx
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Combat 1/2/1/1/1/1/0
  • 2v2: 1642
  • 3v3: 2271
  • 5v5: 96
  • RBG: 1474

Posted 12 October 2015 - 02:14 AM

because when there are 10,000 - 15,000 random as fuck buyers that already buy everything else in this game, and 100 - 200 i'm good at wow so wow should pay my food bills and rent hehe sellers, who do you think it is worth directing collective annoyance at?

The people who aren't enjoying the easy money?

Edited by Bootzx, 12 October 2015 - 02:14 AM.

#207 Bluckstack

Bluckstack
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Sanguino
  • Cruelty / Crueldad
  • Talents: Affliction 0/1/0/0/0/.
  • LocationGijón

Posted 12 October 2015 - 02:15 AM

Blizzard doesnt promote tournaments or anything relevant for those interesed to make money out of the game (1 tourney per year and we know all the bullshit that comes with it lately), ¿ is boosting bad for the game ? indeed, but its as bad aswell that the company that landed the game does nothing for the game itself and you re paying around 10 eur/month to play, not sure exactly why you focus so much on boosting, for sure if you would have monthly tournaments or some promotion from blizz to have people entertained while winning some money I am sure boosting would end up dying.

As someone said before I see it more nowadays as a "fuck you blizz" situation than anything since they dont bring out content for pvp players to be entertained with and to be fair they laugh at the faces of those who actually expend time on it, I would encourage people to stop hating one another for boosting or w/e random reason they find and much rather join forces against blizzard to make this game somewhat competitive/entertaining, at the end of the day what people want is to play the game and as Xonika mentioned before if it werent for boosting in last season's state for example you wouldnt get decent que's at all.

Boosting have been there before 95% of you who read this today even made a lvl 1 character on this game, and no one had problems with it for years (bc + wotlk + cata + end of pandaria) because the community itself was stronger and happier, what happens now is a reflection of how the pvp community nowadays hate everything and everyone, you see people advertising boosting sites but hating on those who boost, you see people hating on players because of the comps they play and you guys dont realize that people only want to play the fucking game and they do everything they can because literally the company owners do nothing for the game, so they try w/e reason they find to have fun while playing.

tl;dr: stop hating each other, nothing (not even boosting) will hit WoW as hard as blizzard decisionmaking/indifference does, try do something to fix that if you want to see this game growing

Edited by Bluckstack, 12 October 2015 - 02:18 AM.

#208 polesmoker72

polesmoker72
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Frostmourne
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Combat 1/2/2/1/1/1/1
  • 2v2: 1836
  • 3v3: 2160
  • RBG: 1142

Posted 12 October 2015 - 02:40 AM

dno why anyone who does a boost feels the need to justify themselves on aj, just say you like to get money get paid sons

#209 Thaya

Thaya
  • Moderators
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Silvermoon
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Destruction 0/2/0/1/0/0/0
  • 2v2: 1338
  • LocationRussia

Posted 12 October 2015 - 02:44 AM

Blizzard doesnt promote tournaments or anything relevant for those interesed to make money out of the game (1 tourney per year and we know all the bullshit that comes with it lately), ¿ is boosting bad for the game ? indeed, but its as bad aswell that the company that landed the game does nothing for the game itself and you re paying around 10 eur/month to play, not sure exactly why you focus so much on boosting, for sure if you would have monthly tournaments or some promotion from blizz to have people entertained while winning some money I am sure boosting would end up dying.

As someone said before I see it more nowadays as a "fuck you blizz" situation than anything since they dont bring out content for pvp players to be entertained with and to be fair they laugh at the faces of those who actually expend time on it, I would encourage people to stop hating one another for boosting or w/e random reason they find and much rather join forces against blizzard to make this game somewhat competitive/entertaining, at the end of the day what people want is to play the game and as Xonika mentioned before if it werent for boosting in last season's state for example you wouldnt get decent que's at all.

Boosting have been there before 95% of you who read this today even made a lvl 1 character on this game, and no one had problems with it for years (bc + wotlk + cata + end of pandaria) because the community itself was stronger and happier, what happens now is a reflection of how the pvp community nowadays hate everything and everyone, you see people advertising boosting sites but hating on those who boost, you see people hating on players because of the comps they play and you guys dont realize that people only want to play the fucking game and they do everything they can because literally the company owners do nothing for the game, so they try w/e reason they find to have fun while playing.

tl;dr: stop hating each other, nothing (not even boosting) will hit WoW as hard as blizzard decisionmaking/indifference does, try do something to fix that if you want to see this game growing

let me stop you right there

i've complained about boosting since tbc. or, more specifically, about the system being flawed in many many ways. there was a steady increasing trend of people getting more than 1 glad title per season (i.e. alts/boosting), so you could tell that eventually all titles will be obtained by a (relatively) very small group of players, and here we are today

boosting and alt accounts are things that you just have to take as a given, and design your system around it. you could make these rewards scale differently (e.g. how league of legends does it - once an acc is diamond, it basically stays diamond [and in the past: literally stays diamond]), you could put more emphasis on peoples CURRENT ratings rather than the end of season ones (e.g. you have a gladiator title for as long as you're >2600 or within a certain % or whatever - i never understood why the title works the way it does anyway, it makes sense for a mount, but the title not really), and so on. there's a lot of ways to make boosting not worth it while playing legitimately more worth it; there are also ways of solving the issue of "i have a high rating but want to play with a lowbie friend" (you could modify the amount of rating change for someone who is way out of the matches average rating, so if you're 3.5k and play with your 1.2k friends, you gain and lose 0's; boosting is not a big issue here because your 1.2k friends will still be playing vs ~1.8k players and getting buttfucked)

what blows my mind the most is that this particular issue is much easier to fix than any of the other issues. designing great gameplay or content is much harder and requires more resources. this entire issue is mathematical, and there are already existing systems that work much better, they just need to be implemented, that's all. it's barely any work from a development standpoint, and if you go the copypaste route, it's also a minimal amount of testing and iteration because that is already done by the other game(s).

bottom line: it doesn't take a genius to figure out that the system is insanely flawed. it also doesn't take a lot of resources for a developer to fix it. i can't think of many reasons they wouldn't fix it other than "cba", since blizzard clearly and obviously has the talent and the resources to do so - in fact, it would cost them very little.
Default UI Scripts - Compilation & how-to

#210 ROKMODE

ROKMODE
  • Junkies
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Shattered Hand
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Balance

Posted 12 October 2015 - 03:39 AM

dno why anyone who does a boost feels the need to justify themselves on aj, just say you like to get money get paid sons

because they actually know it's bad for the game, and people tend to get extra defensive when the opposition makes too much sense eg. religious apologists
if you need any evidence, just look at how fucking incessant some of these posts are. They seriously make 0 sense and consist of arguments like "you are too shit to understand." 70% of them have to resort to "opinion invalid lolol bc ur rating is shit"

tl;dr boosting apologists=maximum tools

Edited by ROKMODE, 12 October 2015 - 03:41 AM.

Expect bias in posts because
Wotlk is the best thing since sliced bread

#211 polesmoker72

polesmoker72
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Frostmourne
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Combat 1/2/2/1/1/1/1
  • 2v2: 1836
  • 3v3: 2160
  • RBG: 1142

Posted 12 October 2015 - 04:34 AM

yea just acknowledge ur breaking the rules does it really matter what some dickheads on aj think, if i was good enough and could tolerate more then 1 hr of wow a week I'd do boosts np

#212 Lloix

Lloix
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Korgath
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Subtlety 1/1/2/1/0/1/0
  • 2v2: 2301
  • 3v3: 2106
  • RBG: 384
  • LocationDying at the bottom of a pit in the blazing sun

Posted 12 October 2015 - 04:46 AM

I'm not even sure what to make of this thread at all right after getting high. You got a 12 page discussion on heroin when this is supposed to be about boosts, and some asshole is posting pie charts and shit. Thanks guys.

#213 Thaya

Thaya
  • Moderators
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Silvermoon
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • LocationRussia

Posted 12 October 2015 - 04:58 AM

it's just me being me

at least we have one thing in common now though lloix: browsing threads while high

how does that make you feel

#214 Hateformz

Hateformz
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Gul'dan
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Arms 0/0/0/1/1/2/.

Posted 12 October 2015 - 05:20 AM

I'm not even sure what to make of this thread at all right after getting high.

duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudeeee wow
Posted Image

#215 Thaya

Thaya
  • Moderators
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Silvermoon
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • LocationRussia

Posted 12 October 2015 - 05:21 AM

http://www.twitch.tv...letv/v/20313978

drugs are bad mkay

#216 stalebagel

stalebagel
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Frost 0/0/0/2/0/2
  • 2v2: 192
  • 3v3: 2091

Posted 12 October 2015 - 05:40 AM

as sad as it sounds paying for the wow sub/wow token right now is more harmful to the game than boosting

#217 Ventux

Ventux
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Frost

Posted 12 October 2015 - 08:38 AM

People smurfing in cs ruining other peoples games for their own enjoyment are the real villains here.

no .. . . . . ..

#218 Knaittiz

Knaittiz
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Defias Brotherhood
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Affliction
  • 2v2: 574
  • 3v3: 3067
  • RBG: 1744
  • LocationFinland

Posted 12 October 2015 - 09:00 AM

no .. . . . . ..

yes .. . . . . ..
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

BUY MY MIXTAPE

#219 Theles

Theles
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Lightning's Blade
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Shadow 1/2/0/1/2/2
  • RBG: 192
  • LocationFinland

Posted 12 October 2015 - 10:39 AM

Selling arena points from few different relatively high teams in tbc was the shit :duckers:

for example 3x 2.2k teams = 9 Spots = 9x1k gold split in three = 3k gold steady income every week. Holy shit it was amazing.

then again 95% of you dont even how this possible since you started playing in mop :confused:

Edited by Theles, 12 October 2015 - 10:40 AM.

#220 Eowynnz

Eowynnz
  • Junkies
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • EU-Frostmane
  • Misery
  • Talents: Restoration 2/0/0/0/1/2/0
  • 2v2: 1456
  • 3v3: 2092
  • RBG: 1629

Posted 12 October 2015 - 10:50 AM

i respect the hustle